Merged Irma impact on The Fort threads here

How is the rest of the resort doing? The Settlement? Meadow? Waterfront?
Glad I could help. I have to be honest. I had a tear in my eye as I drove in. This has been a stressful 2 weeks.

I just drove around where I could. The Settlement looks good. I couldn't see the waterfront/marina.

You can't get to the meadows currently.

j

I'm sure you currently at the Fort are being inundated with request for pictures, but some would be really nice. We're arriving Friday and was wondering the plans for opening the other loops (100, 200, 600, 900, 1000, 1100 and 2100). Our request is for one of these and was curious the plans to open these this week.

We got to the guard house around 6am and were the first in line. A CM came up to us and asked if we would lead the parade of campers after the Opening Ceremonies. So now we have our picture and I understand some videos online at the Ribbon Cutting Ceremony. It was really weird driving in and not seeing any RV's or tents. Great to be home.

I'm sure you currently at the Fort are being inundated with request for pictures, but some would be really nice. We're arriving Friday and was wondering the plans for opening the other loops (100, 200, 600, 900, 1000, 1100 and 2100). Our request is for one of these and was curious the plans to open these this week.

They are opening them up as they can, 400 is also closed. We had requested it and we are here in 1107.

Glad I could help. I have to be honest. I had a tear in my eye as I drove in. This has been a stressful 2 weeks.

I just drove around where I could. The Settlement looks good. I couldn't see the waterfront/marina.

j
Jim thanks for all the updates Post what you can when you can Enjoy your time with your family

Got a chance to walk around. They had to dig up part of the main road just up from the Meadows. It has been repaved and they are working on utilities.
Have seen some damage both at the parks, and here. It will take awhile to fix it all, but they are working on it.

Got a chance to walk around. They had to dig up part of the main road just up from the Meadows. It has been repaved and they are working on utilities.
Have seen some damage both at the parks, and here. It will take awhile to fix it all, but they are working on it.

Can you tell what happened that damaged the road? Just curious.

Can you tell what happened that damaged the road? Just curious.

There were several trees in the area, they have excavated and regraded, so any sign is gone. They are working very hard to Disnify the Fort and keep the magic.

We got to the guard house around 6am and were the first in line. A CM came up to us and asked if we would lead the parade of campers after the Opening Ceremonies. So now we have our picture and I understand some videos online at the Ribbon Cutting Ceremony. It was really weird driving in and not seeing any RV's or tents. Great to be home.

That's very cool, jjbmk144.

Bama Ed

We got to the guard house around 6am and were the first in line. A CM came up to us and asked if we would lead the parade of campers after the Opening Ceremonies.
Was that you with your dogs that helped with the ribbon cutting? I wasn't wondering if any other DISers were there.

Taking it from a bus driver, the road just past the Meadows Trading Post has been torn up and closed since July 4th weekend due to a broken water line. He said they have been saying it will open "in 3 days" for the last 2 weeks. :-)

This was a Fort internal bus driver and it did pertain to a road, so that moves it up to 50:50 on accuracy.

j

j

UPDATE: Ive been told the Meadow is open by the resort!

Taking it from a bus driver, the road just past the Meadows Trading Post has been torn up and closed since July 4th weekend due to a broken water line. He said they have been saying it will open "in 3 days" for the last 2 weeks. :-)

This was a Fort internal bus driver and it did pertain to a road, so that moves it up to 50:50 on accuracy.

j

If it is the same chunk of road that I have in my mind, then I can corroborate this bus driver's story. We couldn't get through Fort Wilderness Trail the entire time we were there June 24 - July 6. Looking at the map and digging in my memory, it was all blocked off right around the 1000 loop. Might be totally unrelated to Irma.

More like 60:40 I think Jim. That would make more sense for an entire area of road to be removed and replaced. Of course, one big tree falling can mess up asphalt.

I sure hope my family of squirrels on 420 in the oak tree are doing okay.

Losing track of which thread is which.

Sorry to cross post, Denise.

I made it to my site in 1400. The east side loops, except for 100, 200 are all open and look great.

Closed loops as of this morning are:
100, 200, 600, 900, 1000, 1100, 2100. I didnt drive through all the cabin loops but the main turn in by 2200 was all open.

WELCOME HOME! Everybody.

j
This is so funny, I just got this info from Disney Chat: "Disney's Fort Wilderness Resort and Campground will be open to guest after 9/22, date may chnage." (sic)

I just looped through all the loops except 2100.

ALL LOOPS ARE OPEN!!!

It looks like the entire Fort is back in business.

j
Hope 2100 didn't have too much loss seeing it is the newest non-cabin loop with new tree plantings. :disrocks:

Hope 2100 didn't have too much loss seeing it is the newest non-cabin loop with new tree plantings. :disrocks:
2100 may actually be open. I didn't drive down that road towards the cabin loops when I was out. I didn't see any campers in it. 100 and 200 only had 1 camper in them, otherwise they would have looked closed except for the road being open.

j

I did a little looping today. Everything down Fort Wilderness Trail is open except the road itself. New pavement and striping is in. It looks finished. You can actually get all the way to the Settlement by cutting through the 600 loop. Meadows Trading post gas been open since Wednesday. Today, (or maybe later yesterday) the rest of the loops opened.

j

I am surprised there are still leaves on the trees after Irma's wrath came through.

We elected not to move into the Fort on the 20th because it didn't make sense for 2 nights with a group of 12. We were exhausted and the folks at AoA were more than willing to take care of the details. There were no additional charges.

I talked with someone in reservations earlier in the week to offer feedback after I was contacted by the Social Media Department. I'm still bothered by the confusion among cast members and lack of an easy way for those with current reservations to get information and assistance. I believe it would be helpful for Disney leadership to hear stories from those affected so they can determine if there is a common point of breakdown and a way to tweak their disaster plan for the Fort.
xlCIdhuth5r0U3j82

Last edited:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter