Marijuana and kids

You don't think your daughter is going to say something to your husband about her grandmother's smoking or at the very least the funny smell in her house?

Life isn't black and white, this might be the perfect opportunity to start a discussion with your daughter about that. The first thing though is to have a conversation with your husband. As far as forbidding your daughter to go there, does your opinion not count for anything? Your daughter is at an age where she doesn't need your mother to provide hands on care so how would she be endangering your daughter? I assume she isn't driving her anywhere.

I have issues with anyone being judgmental about someone doing something to ease pain that doesn't differently affect others.

I'd be more concerned about my mom not being emotionally stable and the impact of that on my child. Although that would be a teaching moment as well.
Yes, that was exactly what I was worried about. Not so much being impaired, because she is disabled and frankly, would not be able to assist in an emergency. I did tell my husband last night and feel much better. Its something we can deal with together now, instead of it being a huge secret on my own

I absolutely would not let my child sleepover at a house where her temporary guardians were drinking, no. I can't believe any responsible parent actually would.

If you're intoxicated, you're not responsible for my child. Period.
There is a HUGE difference between having a beer or glass of wine, and being intoxicated. It doesn’t sound like the OP’s mom is unable to care for an 11 year old.

I absolutely would not let my child sleepover at a house where her temporary guardians were drinking, no. I can't believe any responsible parent actually would.

If you're intoxicated, you're not responsible for my child. Period.

Do you realize there's a big difference between having a glass of wine and being intoxicated? When you kid is invited to a sleepover do you actually ask if the parents might have a drink while your child is there?

I've had parents drop off their kids at our house with a bottle of wine for me to help get through the night. It's meant as a joke but the reality is parents do drink with kids in the house. I wouldn't get drunk with my own kid in the house so no one has to worry about their own being here.

I think people who don't ever drink don't understand that people who do can do so without excess. It's no different than being able to have just one cookie rather than the whole box.

There is a lot of reefer madness going on in this thread lol

I don’t know what kind of skunky weed you guys have been around but I’ve never, NEVER, been around someone that smells like second hand smoke..it’s just not a thing. My guess is that this worry is based on assumptions.

I don’t know what kind of skunky weed you guys have been around but I’ve never, NEVER, been around someone that smells like second hand smoke..it’s just not a thing. My guess is that this worry is based on assumptions.

My brother smokes weed on a regular basis and at times his clothes can smell like it. It doesn’t last long though since he smokes outside. Usually only for 5-10 minutes after then it goes away. If he smoked in the house i think it would smell a bit more and linger a bit more. He pays good money for his weed so it doesn’t have that skunky funk to it.

My brother smokes weed on a regular basis and at times his clothes can smell like it. It doesn’t last long though since he smokes outside. Usually only for 5-10 minutes after then it goes away. If he smoked in the house i think it would smell a bit more and linger a bit more. He pays good money for his weed so it doesn’t have that skunky funk to it.

Yeah, it does stick around for a bit but it’s not as thick and heavy as cigarette smoke. There’s no mistaking a smoker by their clothes and house because the smell doesn’t go away.

I sound like I’m a total pothead. I’m not, but I have indulged a few times to see if it would help with pain. It did, but it made my heart race too much. It’s going to be legal in Canada by August I believe so I may look for some edibles.

My kids would say the skunky smell means it’s better weed. I can tell if they have just smoked, more because the smell might be on their breath or fingers but like you said it only lingers for about 5-10 minuets then it’s gone.

Yeah, it does stick around for a bit but it’s not as thick and heavy as cigarette smoke. There’s no mistaking a smoker by their clothes and house because the smell doesn’t go away.

I sound like I’m a total pothead. I’m not, but I have indulged a few times to see if it would help with pain. It did, but it made my heart race too much. It’s going to be legal in Canada by August I believe so I may look for some edibles.

Cigarette smoke is disgusting and lingers forever. In furniture clothes walls! I would never let my kids be babysat by an in home cigarette smoker. But i let my brother and SIL babysit.

My kids would say the skunky smell means it’s better weed. I can tell if they have just smoked, more because the smell might be on their breath or fingers but like you said it only lingers for about 5-10 minuets then it’s gone.

That’s very true. I should say it has a skunky “good” smell the better the grade of weed but not the kind of skunky smell that lives in your clothes like cigarettes or cheap weed would or does.

I don't understand why you are letting your DD have sleepovers in a home that makes you uncomfortable and that you know your DH would disapprove of.

I don't care about marijunana, I don't smoke it but it doesn't scare me like other drugs. But if my DH were sending DD to be in the care of someone whose lifestyle I disapproved of, I would be seriously upset, to the point of neesing time to make some big decisions.

:sad2: You're kidding yourself here. A neighbour smoked in the underground parkade of our condo; the smell was overwhelming and it immediately rushed into our house when we opened the door and I'd unfortunately left one of my car windows down. It took a good day for the smell to dissipate out of the house and considerably longer before it was totally gone from the vehicle - and I smoke cigarettes in the vehicle. The smell of pot was distinctive enough that a coworker asked me about it when we got out of our cars side-by-side that morning.

Dd17 babysits in a home where the dad smokes inside, and she hates the smell.
My daughter and her boyfriend ran into a friends house for one minute to drop something off from school. They came back into my car reeking like cigarette smoke. They told me his mom chain smokes on the couch all day and the house is completely hazy from smoke. Poor kid who has to live there.

:sad2: You're kidding yourself here. A neighbour smoked in the underground parkade of our condo; the smell was overwhelming and it immediately rushed into our house when we opened the door and I'd unfortunately left one of my car windows down. It took a good day for the smell to dissipate out of the house and considerably longer before it was totally gone from the vehicle - and I smoke cigarettes in the vehicle. The smell of pot was distinctive enough that a coworker asked me about it when we got out of our cars side-by-side that morning.

Not kidding myself, just having a different opinion. I get that you hate weed and everything about it. You’d better get used to it though, or learn to tolerate it come summer. It will be the new thing to smoke it while walking down the street for about six months, I’m guessing, and then it will go back to business as usual.

The only time I’ve had an experience like this was as a teenager when people bought super cheap weed. I know enough people who smoke now and never experience this. Unless you smoke in your car with the windows rolled up have i ever noticed a lingering smell.

The only time I’ve had an experience like this was as a teenager when people bought super cheap weed. I know enough people who smoke now and never experience this. Unless you smoke in your car with the windows rolled up have i ever noticed a lingering smell.

I live in a row of side by sides (not all attached..two to a house) and everybody else smokes weed outside. If the wind blows the right way we might get a whiff of it for a second but it’s not like a giant weed cloud hangs over our street LOL

Not kidding myself, just having a different opinion. I get that you hate weed and everything about it. You’d better get used to it though, or learn to tolerate it come summer. It will be the new thing to smoke it while walking down the street for about six months, I’m guessing, and then it will go back to business as usual.
Whoa - that's pretty presumptuous and hostile sounding, coming from somebody who's personally sensitive to posters "over-reaching" in threads. :rolleyes1

My classroom has smelled like all sorts of unpleasant things over the years between the mothers that put cologne on their 4 year old sons; the parents that cook with strong spices, some smell yummy and some overpowering; cigarettes which really bothers my asthma; and my least favorite, marijuana which not only affects my asthma, it requires me to be more aware of the condition of the parents at dismissal. We have had to detain inebriated parents. We can’t allow a drunk or high parent to drive their children home. Police and DCF get involved. It’s so upsetting.

If you have a loved one with chronic pain and a natural substance can help stop that paint then I'm all for it. Explain to your daughter that grandma has constant pain and ask her if it's fair that grandma could use a legal but expensive medication with lots of bad side effects but not a natural one with no side effects? A smart 11 gear old will be able to figure out why grandma's is doing what she's doing and will hopefully become a advocate as she grows older for legal medical marijuana.

I'm all for legalizing weed, especially for medicinal purposes, but it being "natural" has nothing to do with it. Poison ivy is natural. Arsenic is natural. Also I'd argue with the no side effects thing, especially if you're smoking it.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter