Marijuana and kids

Not picking on you but why? Weed doesn’t turn you into a psycho when you’re high. Would you also ban your child from being somewhere where people are drinking?

Seriously that is apples to oranges.

1) second hand highs. 2). The smell willl be absorbed in her clothes. If she wears a hoodie there and then wears that same hoodie to school, the teachers may suspect the child using or involve CPS. From the comments it doesn’t seem like this is being obtained from a prescription.

If this is being prescribed by a doctor, I am wondering if she has tried the oil versus smoking. I can’t stand the smell personally. And that is from hotel balcony’s, crowds, college parties, concerts, and other second hand encounters.

Going into a house where people smoke
Cigarettes leaves cigarette smell in Your clothes. I grew up with smokers and did not smoke but everyone thought I did because of the smell from my clothes. Even my friend who sleptover, her mom questioned her if she was smoking after returning home from a sleepover at my house.

Oh, and to clarify, I am all for medical marijuana. But OP is afraid the kids dad will find out and it will cause issues. So it sounds like the home is like entering a home with cigarette smokers where there will be the smell even if smoked before she arrives.

Last edited:
Medical marijuana is legal here, my mom was approved. She died from cancer 4 months before her first appointment at the dispensary. Thank goodness it’s so easy to get it anyway, she was against it at first, but her attorney (who also went through chemo) told her it was a Godsend. It was. I got her some edibles, but they were much too potent, I had to sit with her the two times she tried them.

All of my kids knew about it, and trust me, at 11, they know a lot. My mom smoked just enough to lessen the sickness, was never high. Before her diagnosis, she had a glass of wine almost every night. I was okay with her watching my kids then.

Thank you all. After reading through the comments I decided I had better be upfront with my husband. He's not happy but a lot more chill about it then I thought. When she puts 2 and 2 together I will tell her. I do worry about the smell hanging on her but I do wash obsessively so that's minor, I guess. As for being impaired , like I said, I don't think she is and my dad is there also. I feel 1000 times better after talking with Dh, this has been a huge weight on my shoulders because I didn't want him to know. Thanks again, I appreciate all of the advice!

I'm assuming that you are in a state where medical marijuana is still illegal. Medical marijuana has been legal here in California for 22 years, and now recreational marijuana is too, so I guess I was caught off guard that there were still states where even medical marijuana is illegal.
I'd be honest, there is a medical need, just like if it were blood pressure medicine or diabetes medicine of cholesterol medicine.
Either that, or talk to mom about having her Doctor look at legal alternatives for her.

Thank you for your response. That is not an option, unfortunately. My daughter is a very much by the rules kind of kid, as my husband is. He doesn't know and if he found out, he would forbid them to go over there. A secret like that would be to much for an 11 year old to bear. Also, it's not legal here, and my rule following daughter would not see the grey, only the black and white.
You'd better explain it to him and soon. If your daughter comes home reeking of pot smoke (which is an extremely distinctive smell), your husband is going to notice and maybe jump to the wrong conclusion. Whether or not he'll then want your child to be there is something the two of you will have to work out.
Will she only smoke it? As in, what about consumables or oil... no odor. Can take it like any regular med in her bathroom, close the medicine cabinet and be done.
I have no reason to doubt the medicinal benefits of marijuana. From what I understand though, the pain relief/anti-nausea properties are separate from the intoxicant. Can someone please explain why whatever chemical compounds produce the positive effects can't (or haven't yet) been extracted and standardized into pill form like most other medications? Would this not eliminate the entire issue? :confused: What about this am I missing?

I agree with that, but is it really any different than if she's taking vicodin or whatever pain killer. I don't know if that is a good enough argument
Pain medication is prescribed by a doctor and regulated by the FDA. Street drugs are not and can be laced with unknown and harmful substances. My friend smoked pot that was laced with angel dust (pcp) in high school and attempted suicide.

You can’t stop your mother from doing what she pleases. However, it is your responsibility to protect your children and keep them away from your mother when she is using. I didn’t allow my daughter to stay over my sister’s when she was drunk.

Good luck. You are stuck between a rock and a hard place.

Can someone please explain why whatever chemical compounds produce the positive effects can't (or haven't yet) been extracted and standardized into pill form like most other medications? Would this not eliminate the entire issue? :confused: What about this am I missing?

I can't explain because there are several prescription medicines that use those ingredients. I only gather that some choose not to use them.
https://www.usatoday.com/story/mone...three-drugs-that-come-from-marijuana/6531291/

Thank you all. After reading through the comments I decided I had better be upfront with my husband. He's not happy but a lot more chill about it then I thought. When she puts 2 and 2 together I will tell her. I do worry about the smell hanging on her but I do wash obsessively so that's minor, I guess. As for being impaired , like I said, I don't think she is and my dad is there also. I feel 1000 times better after talking with Dh, this has been a huge weight on my shoulders because I didn't want him to know. Thanks again, I appreciate all of the advice!
Sorry I didn't see this post before I posted mine. You did good! :thumbsup2

If you have a loved one with chronic pain and a natural substance can help stop that paint then I'm all for it. Explain to your daughter that grandma has constant pain and ask her if it's fair that grandma could use a legal but expensive medication with lots of bad side effects but not a natural one with no side effects? A smart 11 gear old will be able to figure out why grandma's is doing what she's doing and will hopefully become a advocate as she grows older for legal medical marijuana.

So it seems as though it's the smell that is the problem. It very well may be that your poor mom is hyper-sensitive from her chronic pain, and so on. However, I think it is possible to have a conversation with her. Let her know that your kid has mentioned the weird smell. Tell her that you want to shield your kid a little longer, I can't imagine any grandma not going along with that. Suggest airing out the house before a visit, using a room spray or cradles, an air purifier, smoking only in some remote part of the house. I really think that if you are really non-judgmental while speaking with her you guys can come up with a solution together.

Not picking on you but why? Weed doesn’t turn you into a psycho when you’re high. Would you also ban your child from being somewhere where people are drinking?
I absolutely would not let my child sleep over at a house where her temporary guardians were drinking, no. I can't believe any responsible parent actually would.

If you're intoxicated, you're not responsible for my child. Period.

Last edited:
I have no reason to doubt the medicinal benefits of marijuana. From what I understand though, the pain relief/anti-nausea properties are separate from the intoxicant. Can someone please explain why whatever chemical compounds produce the positive effects can't (or haven't yet) been extracted and standardized into pill form like most other medications? Would this not eliminate the entire issue? :confused: What about this am I missing?
Researchers are working on a pill, but before marketing it they have to verify that the pill would work as well as the smoked version, is no less safe, etc. All of that development and the clinical trials take a lot of time and money. I've read about one promising clinical trial for a pill, but it only had 30 participants. So a marijuana pill is not impossible but is also not going to be on the market anytime soon.

The fact that the substance's legality has been so hotly contested nationwide has made it hard to fundraise a ton of research money for it...

My kids pharmacy school at college has a 'weed studies' program. They grow it under controlled conditions. One of our boys is very interested in that area of pharmacology (he is studying to be a pharmacist). I hope for new treatments to come from that area of study soon.

No way would I keep that from DH. No good can come from that. He will find out. It's his dd too and he deserves to know.

How is she getting it? Just curious.

I would explain to your daughter what the smell is and why your mother uses it.

Thank you for your response. That is not an option, unfortunately. My daughter is a very much by the rules kind of kid, as my husband is. He doesn't know and if he found out, he would forbid them to go over there. A secret like that would be to much for an 11 year old to bear. Also, it's not legal here, and my rule following daughter would not see the grey, only the black and white.

You don't think your daughter is going to say something to your husband about her grandmother's smoking or at the very least the funny smell in her house?

Life isn't black and white, this might be the perfect opportunity to start a discussion with your daughter about that. The first thing though is to have a conversation with your husband. As far as forbidding your daughter to go there, does your opinion not count for anything? Your daughter is at an age where she doesn't need your mother to provide hands on care so how would she be endangering your daughter? I assume she isn't driving her anywhere.

I have issues with anyone being judgmental about someone doing something to ease pain that doesn't differently affect others.

I'd be more concerned about my mom not being emotionally stable and the impact of that on my child. Although that would be a teaching moment as well.

Researchers are working on a pill, but before marketing it they have to verify that the pill would work as well as the smoked version, is no less safe, etc. All of that development and the clinical trials take a lot of time and money. I've read about one promising clinical trial for a pill, but it only had 30 participants. So a marijuana pill is not impossible but is also not going to be on the market anytime soon.

The fact that the substance's legality has been so hotly contested nationwide has made it hard to fundraise a ton of research money for it...
:scratchin I’d almost think this would make it more promising as a pharmaceutical, not less so. There’s got to be a huge potential market of people who would take a prescription pill of this type but would never smoke or consume street drugs. Whether the proponents of marijuana use like it or not, there’s still a moral issue attached to it for many people.

I would have no issues with my kids going over there EXCEPT the smell on my kids clothes. I would have no problem explaining to my DD that grandma is in pain and marijuana makes her feel better. My daughter is 12 and has always been mature for her age so the conversation would be fine. But I’m also all for making it legal for recreational and medicinal use.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter