Marathon Weekend 2020

Medal reveal = decision on which race to run. (well, not the only factor). Let's hope I only like the marathon.

I'm signed up for the marathon, so let's hope I don't like the half and/or Goofy medal and decide to transfer races...

It would only be extra $$$ and like...4 fewer hours of sleep, 1.5 hours less of park time, and 2 more hours of running.

Just the marathon sounds good again. :P

Gah....I hope the 5K, 10K & Dopey medals are AWFUL. I'm already having FOMO because I love the logos. I'm only running Goofy....I'm only running Goofy........
While it's not the reason why I signed up for Dopey, I did choose Dopey in part because if the 5K or 10K was Chip and Dale, I would seriously regret it.
My biggest wish for the reveal is that the 10k medal doesn’t include Oswald.

That would be exciting.
And get changed to Chip and Dale. That would indeed be very exciting for me.

With the Wine and Dine medals being almost identical to the “teaser themes” released a few months ago, I’m going to bet that the throw back style is what we are looking at for our medals since that was our released themes. Minnie had better be on that Marathon medal since she is a badass runner who upgraded from the 10k to the full. She’s not on the preorder merch so that makes me worried. We want more Minnie Mouse and strong badass ladies!

Seems really early for a medal reveal. I think I'm most intrigued by the anniversary Goofy medal and the marathon medal with Mickey and Minnie.

I was wondering why they were being released so early too-two months early. Last year they released them in late September. Oddly, they have been late on race retreat stuff/cheer squad stuff. Part of me wonders if they thought the opening of Galaxys Edge might cause the race to sell quicker and they could adjust prices on the extras accordingly. But, I suspect that maybe the longer races are taking longer to sell. When I first started looking at marathon weekends, I vaguely remember most of the races selling out really quickly, but I think they have generally been slowing down. Still, a ton of people go, but I think there used to be much more demand.

SAFD - I am currently training for the MCM at the end of October and starting to ramp up the mileage. Anyone else doing MCM? After that - a little break and then jumping back in to stay in shape for Goofy!

FYI - I booked my flight today from ATL to MCO on Delta and it was only $106 round trip! :cool1: I was waiting for Southwest to release their January fares but decided to just check Delta and couldn't believe it!

Gah....I hope the 5K, 10K & Dopey medals are AWFUL. I'm already having FOMO because I love the logos. I'm only running Goofy....I'm only running Goofy........

I may or may not have just checked to see if the 10K was back open in the event I love the medal. That's the one race I could add with my travel schedule.

But I agree that the throwback logos are AMAZING.

My biggest wish for the reveal is that the 10k medal doesn’t include Oswald.

That would be exciting.

The Oswald medal was my favorite from this year. If he's back on the 10K medal (and all indications are he will be), I'll be watching the 10K registration like a hawk for a while to see if it opens back up.

But, I suspect that maybe the longer races are taking longer to sell. When I first started looking at marathon weekends, I vaguely remember most of the races selling out really quickly, but I think they have generally been slowing down. Still, a ton of people go, but I think there used to be much more demand.
I think it's definitely taking longer races to sell out. I think the half distance is extremely daunting to non runners and serves as a barrier to many runners. With the introduction of 10K distances and metal 5K medals, I think there's less incentive for new and/or non runners to jump in. I signed up for my first half because I really wanted a Sleeping Beauty Castle medal and I spoke with some runDisney participants who took the time to explain the reality of what it would take to complete the distance. Not to say it was easy, but they explained to me how the distance was not impossible and that it could be done.

Factor in the nature of how a half and especially the full will really impact your park time for slower runners and I can see how the slowdown takes place. If I could only visit the parks semi-regularly I would view the half distance and especially the near full day lost to the marathon differently.

Maybe it's wishful thinking on this west coasters' part, but I also hope that the hiatus of Disneyland races is hurting Disney World races because runners want the Coast to Coast medal and since it's not possible right now, they're forgoing the cost of runDisney.

I keep telling myself that, but I keep checking this thread.
How else are you going to impart all of your experience to us?

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter