Marathon Weekend 2020

I have a trail 15k at the end of the month (no time goal, technical trail), a 7k the second weekend in August, and then a marathon in November. That's the training I'm doing right now.

I might have to add a 10k or half at the end of August to either try and meet my sub-50 10k goal or try to bump up a corral by lowering my half PR.

I'm trying to give the November marathon my all and training has been going well, but I'm only three weeks into it. Trying to stick with my @DopeyBadger plan while on vacation this week without shuffling things around too much. My training and performance at this race, barring any injuries or terrible weather conditions, will be the determining factor in whether I have the ability to work toward a BQ. If I perform well, I could be within 20-25 minutes of my qualifying time. Still a lot of work to go but within reach. Right now my personal best is an hour away from a BQ.

Disney will just be fun for me, since I always run so long there, and I want to stop for characters if there is someone I want. I'll probably be on the lookout for a running buddy if anyone wants to pair up at any point at the race and is in (most likely) corral C and running around 9:30-10:00/mile.

SAFD: Training has been going better than last year (an unfortunately easy hurdle to clear). I have a PoT Half coming up in August. I am hopeful that I'll be able to post something to get me out of the last corral but, if not, I'll just enjoy the ride from the back of the pack.

Disney will just be fun for me, since I always run so long there, and I want to stop for characters if there is someone I want. I'll probably be on the lookout for a running buddy if anyone wants to pair up at any point at the race and is in (most likely) corral C and running around 9:30-10:00/mile.

This sounds like what I would be doing.....if I actually sign up to run the marathon. I have a 2:00:10 half from Boston training this year and no plans to do anything more (if I could even!) So I figure I'd be in C too.

So, what are you training for? How is it going? Who wants to brag? Who needs some words of encouragement?
SAFD: I tend to think of my Dopey training "officially" starting with the first b2b weekend, and that won't come until mid-Aug., so I'm not training for anything specific at the moment. Just maintaining summer base mileage (long runs of 8-10 miles). It's going. Brag? I'm not dead from the heat yet, so I've got that going for me! Encouragement? Maybe just a reminder that when the heat index is over 100, the pool feels really, really nice and is a solid replacement for a short run.

SAFD: Just hit the 16 week mark to start the training for NYC! I'm so excited - this is the best time of the year to train in the NW. Lots of light, not too much rain, warm-ish. When it comes time to transition to WDW marathon weekend training, it becomes a slog because of the short days and (usually) rainy weather.

SAFD: Started training with the Galloway plan. I'm signed up for the Canada Army Run half in September. I've been toying with running a Marathon Late November but haven't committed to anything yet. Making ADR's made it sink in a bit more that I'm Actually doing Dopey this year lol.

SAFD: I'm training for the North Country Trail 13.1 in August and also the Chicago Marathon in October. I'm having some trouble balancing trail miles & road miles. I feel like I'm not getting enough trail experience. My plan was to hit the trails every Saturday, but due to my son's travel baseball, I've only hit the trails twice in the last 6 weeks. I'm sure I'll be fine for the trail half in August as long as I can stay on my feet, which is another problem I'm having lately...:crazy2:

SAFD: I am in a satisfied and slightly confused training period.

I am training for my first marathon in September and will the restart another program for Dopey. I am succeeding at increasing my volume time-wise but am slowing down a lot due to the heat and a certain resistance to anything structured these days.

In parallel, I prepared training programs for DD with whom I will be running a 5k+3k in August, another 5k a few weeks later and the 5k and 10k during Marathon Weekend. Running both plans (hers and mine) is fun but I have to adjust my pace, hence the confusion.

For example, we only had the same window of opportunity this weekend so I thought that I would do my warmup with her... Turns out she had 45min to do and I had 80min, that means more that half of my LR was dedicated to coaching.

That is pretty much my plan for the Marathon!

Last edited:
All signed up and excited to be a fellow Dopey this January!

Currently in serious training for the Marine Corps Marathon this fall, which will be my first marathon! Hope to maybe see some DISers there!

Been seeing lots of sunrises on my long runs, as unseasonably warm temperatures here in Chicago have been making running at any other time way too hot.

I guess i could just use some encouragement of keeping the momentum of pushing forward in training and to not let the job stuff carry over into my training. I feel good at the moment but then I get depressed when I go back to the office and the toxicity sets in.
I had an unusually high amount of stress last summer for my work and I feel like that stress definitely took a toll on me in the final week before my September Half. So while I don't have any advice for how to get through it, I just wanted to say you're not alone in dealing with that sort of thing.

I'm training for a Giant Race Half Marathon and 5K back to back in September. So I consider it part of Dopey training, but that race comes first. Count me as part of the group that struggles to find motivation without a race providing new ways to motivate me.

Currently in serious training for the Marine Corps Marathon this fall, which will be my first marathon! Hope to maybe see some DISers there!

I'll be there (or hope to be anyway)! Just started Week 2 of my plan for the MCM. Happy to say that, so far, everything is going fine, though certainly nothing to brag about at this stage either other than surviving another long-run in the heat and humidity down here. Goal is to get to through MCM healthy and then will work with my coach to bridge to Dopey after that.

I've seen on Instagram that some folks have begun training for marathon weekend and I know others are training for upcoming events, as well. So, what are you training for? How is it going? Who wants to brag? Who needs some words of encouragement?

I've got some random stuff on my calendar for the rest of the year, with my "A" race of the year being an Olympic tri at the end of the month. How I do in that will really set the timeframe for 70.3 next year between either Spring or Fall (stop me if you've heard THAT before, but I SWEAR it's happening for one really big reason). I've been cycling a TON and I'm really thrilled with where I'm at in that discipline right now.

Other than that, I've got one last sprint tri to close out a summer series I've been participating in. Then purely running-wise, I've got the Saints kickoff 5K in September, Jazz Half in October, W&D in November, St. Jude Half in December. I still haven't decided what I'm doing in January - every day it changes from the half (and then maybe Louisiana Marathon but probably nah on that), or the full or Goofy.

Last edited:
I've got some random stuff on my calendar for the rest of the year, with my "A" race of the year being an Olympic tri at the end of the month. How I do in that will really set the timeframe for 70.3 next year between either Spring or Fall (stop me if you've heard THAT before, but I SWEAR it's happening for one really big reason). I've been cycling a TON and I'm really thrilled with where I'm at in that discipline right now.

Other than that, I've got one last sprint tri to close out a summer series I've been participating in. Then purely running-wise, I've got the Saints kickoff 5K in September, Jazz Half in October, W&D in November, St. Jude Half in December. I still haven't decided what I'm doing in January - every day it changes from the half (and then maybe Louisiana Marathon but probably nah on that), or the full or Goofy.

We will be at St. Jude again this year, too! If you haven't done it before, it's a race you won't forget.

We will be at St. Jude again this year, too! If you haven't done it before, it's a race you won't forget.

My BFF @mbwhitti does it every year and this year was the first time it worked out for me schedule-wise (kinda) ... I'm excited! I don't think we'll spend much time in Memphis before or after the race because she's promised me foods at my favorite places in Oxford, but I'm real stoked to get a chance to participate!

Finally caught up, amazing how much is posted here over a weeks vacation! I'm trying to work on increasing speed for the next 6-7 weeks then take a week off and jump into the Galloway dopey plan. I think I tweaked it a little to fit in Wine and Dine, with an end goal of finishing dopey with a 4:30 full.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter