• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Marathon Weekend 2020

I think it's definitely taking longer races to sell out. I think the half distance is extremely daunting to non runners and serves as a barrier to many runners.

I am guessing there are a few other factors in play, as well. One, there have been a number of articles in the running world describing the burst of the marathon bubble: https://www.nytimes.com/2017/11/05/sports/ny-marathon-running.html

So, a decrease in number of participants but more half and marathon distance races than ever.

In addition, I had read in a few places about the substantial increase in slots at Disney races. Combine those two factors, and you have a slower fill-time (or no fill at all - and agree about the longer distances being more of a barrier) in recent years.

Good morning, runDisney all-stars!

We are 170 days away from Marathon Weekend! For Sundays are for Disney, what is your all-time favorite nighttime show at a Disney park?

Happily Ever After is growing on me, but the one-two combo of Celebrate the Magic and Wishes will probably never be topped for me, too. I love IllumiNations, as well.

Have a great week, everyone!

Great question and that’s really hard for me to pick one. I’d probably go with the Main Street Electrical Parade. I grew up watching that at Disneyland and it was still awesome when I saw it at MK after my first marathon. I did like Spectromagic a lot too. And Fantasmic, though it seems better to me at Disneyland than DHS, with the Columbia and Mark Twain and on Rivers of America.

SAFD: I’m going to split my answer:

Fireworks show: Wishes/HalloWishes. Don’t get me wrong, I like HEA a lot, but for me the fireworks shows should be primarily about the fireworks. HEA has poured so much into the castle projections that the fireworks feel almost like a secondary part of the show.

Light Parade: Paint the Night. I was lucky enough to see one of the last showings of this at DL during my first DL race weekend. It was phenomenal. I’d love to see something like that brought to WDW. As far as the WDW light parades go, Spectromagic >>> MSEP.

We are 170 days away from Marathon Weekend! For Sundays are for Disney, what is your all-time favorite nighttime show at a Disney park?
I have a few favorites... Just like @Neon Cactus I grew up watching MSEP at Disneyland. It looks very dated now and Paint the Night is an amazing tribute taking the technology of MSEP into the 21st century.

But, I have to say my all time favorite nighttime show is Fantasmic! (And I don’t mean HS’s cardboard boat version of Fantasmic! If that is the only version you have ever seen, you’ve never really seen Fantasmic!) More than once I can remember camping out at the Disneyland ticket booth to get tickets to the dessert party on the balcony of the Disney Gallery (now Dream Suite). That was the BEST way to watch the show. Magical!!!

what is your all-time favorite nighttime show at a Disney park?

My #1 all time was Wishes. I still get tears in my eyes when I watch some of the videos and hear the music.

My #2 would be the original light show on the castle, The Magic, the Memories and You.

My #3 would be my #1 if it had lasted - the original Star Wars fireworks show at DHS was absolutely amazing - the best fireworks show that I have ever seen, anywhere.

I'll admit that I have never seen Fantasmic! or HEA. And I really don't remember much about Wishes that blew me away. Maybe something's wrong with me but fireworks have just never done it for me. I appreciate Illuminations but am excited to see what's next.

I did love the Main Street Electrical Parade. That will be my answer.

SAFD:

I believe I saw IllumiNations as a kid in the 90's, but we weren't really a fireworks family and only went to Disney twice so I don't have much in the way of nostalgia. My first visit since then was in 2012 and I remained not much of a fireworks guys. I never actually saw Wishes and fireworks themselves don't do a lot for me. I like Fantasmic! but it also leaves an overwhelming feeling that they should be doing so much better with that show. It's so incoherent with the random Pocahontas scene.

That said, I really love HEA. For whatever reason it hits all the feels for me. I enjoy the projection show much more than primarily fireworks.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter