ys are for Disney question is a simple one: how would you spend the day at Disney World if you couldn't go to the parks (including the water parks)? The rest of the Disney property (including Disney Springs) is fair game, but no Universal, Sea World, etc
There is just so much to do outside the parks, I'm not sure I could fit it all into one day!

I love @Dis_Yoda 's idea of going to the spa at Saratoga Springs! That is my home resort, so it would be a nice way to start the day (after sleeping in of course!) Then, a movie at Disney Springs and maybe some mini golf at Winter-Summerland. I'd spend the afternoon/evening resort hopping at the monorail resorts, maybe ending at the Top of the World! Finally, I would finish the night wondering Disney Springs (the old Marketplace side) including a margarita at Dockside before a peaceful walk back to my room.

Today's Sundays are for Disney question is a simple one: how would you spend the day at Disney World if you couldn't go to the parks (including the water parks)? The rest of the Disney property (including Disney Springs) is fair game, but no Universal, Sea World, etc.

If the weather allows we'd normally opt for the pool as well but some of the other things we've done and enjoy are:

-mini golf
-bowling at Splittsville
-dinner shows (Hoop De Doo)
-the Void virtual reality
-K1 Speed (indoor go-karts)

Sundays are for Disney:

I like to spend a day in Disney Springs when we’re at WDW. Personally, I don’t get out much to movies at home (single guy at the movies by myself seems equal parts sad and creepy), so I enjoy heading to the AMC theater at Disney Springs and catching a movie. The holiday award fodder and a few holiday blockbusters are usually still in theaters for Marathon Weekend, so there is usually a good selection.

I like going after the 10k and/or Half during Dopey. Enough walking to keep the legs feeling good, but not the hustle and bustle of a park. I’m not much of a shopper (typical guy, when I shop I know what I want and get out), but it’s not bad window shopping. I’m probably one of the few people actually kind of curious about the NBA experience when it opens. If it’s just a restaurant and retail space it won’t hold much appeal, but if they’re doing something else I am a big NBA nerd so it could be fun. My family also picks up caramel apple(s) every time we’re there. We probably keep Candy Cauldron in business.

I have been referencing primarily race days, but assuming this is a non-park day outside of that framework sleeping to a reasonable hour would also be part of the plan. I wouldn’t sleep the day away or anything, but 9:00 would be nice.

SAFD:
I'd sleep. Saves me from having to do it on park days.
Might drop in at Disney Springs to grab some cupcakes from Erin McKenna and coffee (probably from Ghirardelli) and do some souvenir shopping (although I'm not sure where, since the new World of Disney is not my jam). Might visit a resort or two and just wander around and take pictures. Might end the night at Ohana or California Grill for a good view of the fireworks while eating dinner. Mostly would probably just play it by ear and see where the day takes me (although an ADR would require advance planning because they need 48 hours to get my food ... so that might be the one plan I make).

(Edited because I shouldn't crap on things just because I don't like them ... something can be not my jam without sucking)

Last edited:
Sundays are for Disney:

I like to spend a day in Disney Springs when we’re at WDW. Personally, I don’t get out much to movies at home (single guy at the movies by myself seems equal parts sad and creepy), so I enjoy heading to the AMC theater at Disney Springs and catching a movie. The holiday award fodder and a few holiday blockbusters are usually still in theaters for Marathon Weekend, so there is usually a good selection.

I like going after the 10k and/or Half during Dopey. Enough walking to keep the legs feeling good, but not the hustle and bustle of a park. I’m not much of a shopper (typical guy, when I shop I know what I want and get out), but it’s not bad window shopping. I’m probably one of the few people actually kind of curious about the NBA experience when it opens. If it’s just a restaurant and retail space it won’t hold much appeal, but if they’re doing something else I am a big NBA nerd so it could be fun. My family also picks up caramel apple(s) every time we’re there. We probably keep Candy Cauldron in business.

I have been referencing primarily race days, but assuming this is a non-park day outside of that framework sleeping to a reasonable hour would also be part of the plan. I wouldn’t sleep the day away or anything, but 9:00 would be nice.
My mom and I caught a movie at Downtown Disney the afternoon before the 2017 Tinker Bell (my last Disneyland race weekend :(). It was a fantastic way to stay off my feet and sodium load before the half! I may decide to do that before the marathon!

We did this on our summer trip and loved it. Sleep in! Eat a leisurely breakfast. We went to the boardwalk and rented a Surrey bike. Then just walked around the boardwalk and checked out resorts. Lunch on the boardwalk at ESPN grill. Then did Disney springs for awhile and then minigolf in the evening and a nice dinner. It was a great day!

Sundays: Sleep in then enjoy breakfast at Ohana. Followed by shopping at DS and lunch. Afternoon nap by the pool. Then a monorail drink crawl start at Poly end with dinner at Cali grill with fireworks.

SAFD:
One of the short resort fun runs- better when you don't have to give up "rope drop" at the parks.
Breakfast at whatever resort the run is
Disney Springs- lunch/shopping
Nap
Drinks at Trader Sam's
Fireworks from the Poly- post drinks

SAFD:
I would try to sleep in but will most likely be up by 7. Hang out by the pool for most of the day. Maybe go to the spa. In the evening, I would stroll around the Boardwalk area eating ice cream from Ample Hills.

I WILL GO TO AMPLE HILLS WITH YOU. Because we all need a little extra Oooey Gooey Butter Cake ice cream in our lives.

Good to see you guys recover from that incredibly embarrassing loss last week ;)
Hey, BYU used that win to springboard into the rankings and is now ranked #20. Granted, they have a tough game coming up this week, but still. :p

Good morning, runDisney all-stars!

Today's Sundays are for Disney question is a simple one: how would you spend the day at Disney World if you couldn't go to the parks (including the water parks)? The rest of the Disney property (including Disney Springs) is fair game, but no Universal, Sea World, etc.

I'd do some swimming at whatever resort I was staying at because my kids love that so much, spend some time down at Disney Springs and check out some of the resorts I wish I could stay at, like AKL or the Boardwalk area. I'd try to end the day by watching fireworks from Contemporary or the TTC.

Have a good week, everyone!
I always tentatively plan a non park day while at WDW, but rarely actually do one. If I was staying at a resort I really wanted to explore, I'd explore the resort and spend time in Disney Springs. But at the end of the day, I usually visit the parks every day because I can't visit them at home.

I gave serious thought to spending major time off my feet after one of the 3 races leading up to the marathon this January, but after a slower than normal recovery from my most recent race, I've decided to make sure I visit the parks instead since I've never taken that long to recover from a race after spending time in the parks.

Sunday question: I did this for Dopey last year and really enjoyed myself. One day, I had breakfast at Boma and the spent time at both AK resorts and finished the day at Disney Springs. The other day I had a meal over at the Poly then resort hopped along the monorail. I was surprised at how enjoyable both days were but this was also by myself so I got to do what I wanted to and didn’t have to worry about anyone else.

Last year we did a non-park slash pretty much non-Disney day. We went from coast to coast. First to Cocoa Beach and then back to Tampa Bay. It was cool to see some of Florida itself.

But sign me up for bar hopping with @Keels.

SAFD: We are considering doing this the day of the half. We won't have APs anymore and DH doesn't want to use a park ticket that day if it won't be a full park day for us. Since we will be at AKV, we will spend the day at the resort. We keep saying we want to check out some of the activities they have at the resorts but we never make time. We really aren't Disney Spring people. We usually go with 2-3 things in mind, do those, and leave.

Question about APs and PP during marathon weekend: As mentioned above, our APs will expire before January. Since we aren't planing another park trip until Dec 2020, DH doesn't want to renew them. He does want to renew one of ours (probably his) just for memory maker. He's thinking his because he's almost always the one that remembers to get them to scan his band for pics. I'm usually chasing the 2 year old. However, I'm the one running in January. So my question is: Would it make more sense to renew mine since I'll be wanting the pics during the race? Does it matter if our accounts are linked?

Question about APs and PP during marathon weekend: As mentioned above, our APs will expire before January. Since we aren't planing another park trip until Dec 2020, DH doesn't want to renew them. He does want to renew one of ours (probably his) just for memory maker. He's thinking his because he's almost always the one that remembers to get them to scan his band for pics. I'm usually chasing the 2 year old. However, I'm the one running in January. So my question is: Would it make more sense to renew mine since I'll be wanting the pics during the race? Does it matter if our accounts are linked?

I'm pretty sure pictures get linked to your bib, not your magicband, so as long as you enter your bib number into his account (instructions will be in the race guide), you'll be fine.
(Although if your accounts are linked, he can download your pictures)
But is renewing the AP really cheaper than just buying memory maker separately? I don't remember the price on memory maker, since I have an AP at the moment, but that surprises me.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter