Marathon Weekend 2018

Screen Shot 2017-12-13 at 6.51.51 PM.png Screen Shot 2017-12-13 at 6.52.07 PM.png Screen Shot 2017-12-13 at 6.52.31 PM.png

All Star Movies 3
All Star Music 2
All Star Sports 7
Art of Animation 4
Pop Century 14
Caribbean Beach 5
Coronado Springs 8
Ft. Wilderness 2
Port Orleans French Quarter 4
Port Orleans Riverside 8
Animal Kingdom Lodge 8
Bay Lake Tower 3
Beach/Yacht Club 14
Boardwalk Inn 7
Contemporary 4
Grand Floridian 1
Old Key West 7
Polynesian 5
Saratoga Springs 16
Wilderness Lodge 3
Offsite 8
Shades of Green 1
Swan and Dolphin 0

Well, I just found my first disappointment with the marathon. I learned tat I'm in Corral G, yet I submitted proof of time in September that would have placed my in Corral E. Truth is, I could finish in less than 5 hours. Granted, that's not setting the road on fire, but my submission qualified for a much higher placement. Looks like I'll be standing around for an hour or so before I can get moving. Can anyone tell me what the purpose of submitting a proof of time for corral placement, if it isn't going to be taken into consideration? And, yes.....the submission was complete, including link, and was submitted in September, long before the 10/3 deadline.

Well, I just found my first disappointment with the marathon. I learned tat I'm in Corral G, yet I submitted proof of time in September that would have placed my in Corral E. Truth is, I could finish in less than 5 hours. Granted, that's not setting the road on fire, but my submission qualified for a much higher placement. Looks like I'll be standing around for an hour or so before I can get moving. Can anyone tell me what the purpose of submitting a proof of time for corral placement, if it isn't going to be taken into consideration? And, yes.....the submission was complete, including link, and was submitted in September, long before the 10/3 deadline.

You could always try to visit Runner’s Relations if you have proof that it was submitted

You could always try to visit Runner’s Relations if you have proof that it was submitted
Thank you for the reply Dis Yoda! I will try that. I have a feeling this is all set in stone, and there's no turning back from the placements. Would I visit runner relations online or on-site at Disney? My proof was submitted directly thru Active.com, as part of my overall registration.

E for me. I trained hard to get to E. 3 years ago I started running with C25K and my first run/walk in that had me at 22 min miles. My goal was to do a half in Vegas to get in under 13 min miles to get a placement for this race. DH worked his butt off in hopes of getting A and he did that so I'm very proud for him. We are both doing Dopey.

Here's a breakdown of the corrals:

Screen Shot 2017-12-13 at 7.25.58 PM.png

That's number of bibs per corral for each solo, Goofy, and Dopey. Then in blue the total # of bibs. In yellow is the sum total of all bibs. The pink is a running cumulative total and then green is a % of the field ahead of that corral. Looks like ~40% of the field in the Marathon is in G and H and 47% in the Half Marathon.

Looks like 9516 Dopey bibs instead of 7970 like last year. So do we think they moved the ~12,000 runner cap of the 5k/10k up or reduced the spots even more. I've got to believe the cap moved up to ~14,000 total runners.

@Keels 10 minutes sounds about right for the 5/10k corrals. We finished the 5k last year from A before the last corrals started.

I concur that's what I had last year (10 min per corral). But does the increase in Dopey bibs by 1600 possibly influence some corrals being 8 minutes and others more towards 15 I wonder? More total runners on the 5k/10k course?

Here's my guess on timing for the HM and M:

Screen Shot 2017-12-13 at 7.46.51 PM.png

I used the total number of people crossing the line and the rate at which they crossed in 2017. Using that I came up with a rough guess as to how many minutes each corral would be. Then I broke corrals into pieces based on their size (A, B, C, D, and E into two pieces and F, G, and H into three pieces). Without looking I was able to get the timing of the corrals into the same timeframe as 2017. So I feel relatively good about these predictions.

My crew spans 4 corrals: B, E, E, F, G. Interesting observation. The person in G didn’t have the worst proof of time, but submitted an estimate of 5 hours flat (just wasn’t really thinking). It’s like Disney said “uh no” and went strictly by her POT equivalent. The number is near the very front of G. The F had a POT equivalent slightly worse than the G but I think we put down 530 even... so ended up ahead of her.

So using the % of Dopey bibs in different 5k/10k corrals from 2017, I will be using a cutoff of ~1650 bibs per corral. This is a pure guess, but it matches reasonably well with taking the Marathon POT and equating a 5k or 10k McMillan race equivalency:

Screen Shot 2017-12-13 at 8.10.40 PM.png

Here's my guess on timing for the HM and M:

View attachment 288509

I used the total number of people crossing the line and the rate at which they crossed in 2017. Using that I came up with a rough guess as to how many minutes each corral would be. Then I broke corrals into pieces based on their size (A, B, C, D, and E into two pieces and F, G, and H into three pieces). Without looking I was able to get the timing of the corrals into the same timeframe as 2017. So I feel relatively good about these predictions.

This is my first Disney and first marathon. I'm a slow runner, and in G. That is a serious number of people in my corral, so the question is, are there actual waves by bib # within the corral, or do we self-place?

This is my first Disney and first marathon. I'm a slow runner, and in G. That is a serious number of people in my corral, so the question is, are there actual waves by bib # within the corral, or do we self-place?
The mini waves will be self placed basically. The corrals themselves are done by bib number. The closer to the front the earlier wave you will be in.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter