Marathon Weekend 2018

For anyone staying, or has stayed, at Shades of Green, do they have their own buses for the marathon? Does it make more sense to walk to the monorail at the Polynesian?

For anyone staying, or has stayed, at Shades of Green, do they have their own buses for the marathon? Does it make more sense to walk to the monorail at the Polynesian?

Shades of Green has buses. We used those and had no problems when we stayed their previously. I wouldn’t do the extra walking to the monorail.

Does anyone know the logic in reducing the corals? I have to think it will be much more difficult managing the crowds into 2 ginormous corals rather than splitting them up to smaller numbers. This is my first rundisney race so I am trying to get my head around managing 27K people at the start of the race. What are the advantages/disadvantages doing it this way?

Does anyone know the logic in reducing the corals? I have to think it will be much more difficult managing the crowds into 2 ginormous corals rather than splitting them up to smaller numbers. This is my first rundisney race so I am trying to get my head around managing 27K people at the start of the race. What are the advantages/disadvantages doing it this way?
I think that is the question many of us are trying to figure out. Since 2014 when Dopey was added they have been A-P (I believe?).

2018 Marathon Weekend DIS List

Hi all! I'm ready to start putting together the Marathon Weekend DIS List. The intent of this file is to help bring our community together and put a comprehensive list of items in one place. It'll include corral placement, expected pace, whether you plan to attend the pre-meetup, and most importantly a bevy of timing predictions on when you'll hit milestones. This sheet can very useful for yourself on the course in knowing how close you are to getting a Margarita, riding Everest, staying away from the balloon ladies, how much extra character time you have or beating the sunrise for a certain race. It's also helpful for your spectators in having a general idea when you should hit certain milestones on course. I'll preface all of this by saying this is an educated guess on my part. It is not official in any way. Rather an accumulation of different pieces of data to give it my best shot.

First Off - Here is the Preliminary Race Meet-Up Information for either pre/post race. (And yes I know the pic says 2017 but the 2018 version is very similar in the guide)

5k Meet.jpg

10k Meet.jpg

HM
HM Meet.jpg

M
M Meet.jpg

Hurricane Hannah's
Hurricane Hannahs.jpg

DATW
DATW.jpg

The information I need from you:
-If you are running Goofy/Dopey, please fill out a "form" for each individual race. That means you fill out the below form four times for Dopey and two times for Goofy.
-If you are running Dopey, please tell me which of the following corrals for the 5k/10k you will be in based on my pure guess prediction on corral breakdown:
Screen Shot 2017-12-13 at 8.43.34 PM.png
-If you are running the 5k or 10k as a solo bib (not a Dopey bib), then review your registration on Active.com and see which drop-down estimated pace you chose. Then use the chart above to guess at your corral.

Marathon Weekend DIS List FORM
Race -
Name (optional) -
DIS Name -
Costume -
Corral -
Planning to attend the Pre-race Meetup? -
Front, Middle, or Back of the corral -
Expected Pace -

After the number of entries starts to slow down, I'll pull the data together and make a first draft. I'll continue to accept forms for as long as I am still at home (leave January 2nd), but the earlier the better for me.

Race - Marathon
Name (optional) - Bryana (surprising, I know ;))
DIS Name - bryana
Costume - I'm super behind the ball on this but plan on finally putting in work this weekend. I am thinking Robin Hood, though.
Corral - E
Planning to attend the Pre-race Meetup? - I'm not a definite but I'll say yes.
Front, Middle, or Back of the corral - Front.
Expected Pace - Being conservative, 12ish.

Hello DIS-stressed?-folks, new poster here.
I've been lurking amidst all the excitement and rapport so decided to join in.

I am a long time WDW Marathoner and have posted at other DR-style sites many moons ago under the same pseudonym.
I'm solo, doing the marathon for the 12th time in a row and considering the Hurricane Hannah meet-up and Drinking Around The World.
(Familiar with both...ahem)
You guys seem to have fun and be of like mind so why not?

I want to thank DopeyBadger for posting approximate start times for each corral in the marathon.
I'm in Corral E and I hear a lot of hand-ringing about corral positioning.
I'm actually considering droping back a little bit.
Timing is everything!
In the past, mile 7 (now 5) was MK and the sun rising over the Contemporary was timed perfectly as I rolled toward the Castle.
I ran one year as the second to last person to start the race.
I was injured and didn't want to start until the last minute. I just sat on the asphalt waiting.
Another guy was determined to start last and I didn't object.
I seemed to have a better race and finished happy.

Likewise, I did the Inaugural Dopey and my friend with no proof of time went off in the last corral.
He passed me at WWOS and finished in 4:19.
Of course WHEN I start will DOTW, not DATW-Drinking Around The World-...Depending On The Weather!

2018 Marathon Weekend DIS List

The information I need from you:
-If you are running Goofy/Dopey, please fill out a "form" for each individual race. That means you fill out the below form four times for Dopey and two times for Goofy.
-If you are running Dopey, please tell me which of the following corrals for the 5k/10k you will be in based on my pure guess prediction on corral breakdown:
View attachment 288517
-If you are running the 5k or 10k as a solo bib (not a Dopey bib), then review your registration on Active.com and see which drop-down estimated pace you chose. Then use the chart above to guess at your corral.

Thanks for pulling this together!!

Race - 5k
Name (optional) - John
DIS Name - FFigawi
Costume - TBD
Corral - B
Planning to attend the Pre-race Meetup? - No
Front, Middle, or Back of the corral - Back
Expected Pace - 930

Race - 10k
Name (optional) - John
DIS Name - FFigawi
Costume - Inside Out
Corral - B
Expected Pace - 945

Race - Half
Name (optional) - John
DIS Name - FFigawi
Costume - Bob's Barricades
Corral - D
Front, Middle, or Back of the corral - Middle
Expected Pace - 8:55

Race - Full
Name (optional) - John
DIS Name - FFigawi
Costume - TBD
Corral - D
Expected Pace - 945 while running between pictures, rides, bars, and aid stations

Race - 5K
Name (optional) - Ryan T
DIS Name - rteetz
Costume - TBD
Corral - D? for 5K
Planning to attend the Pre-race Meetup? - Yes
Front, Middle, or Back of the corral - Front hopefully
Expected Pace - 10ish minutes depending on stops

Race - 10K
Name (optional) - Ryan T
DIS Name - rteetz
Costume - Hawaiian theme
Corral - D?
Front, Middle, or Back of the corral - Front
Expected Pace - 10ish minutes

Race - Half
Name (optional) - Ryan T
DIS Name - rteetz
Costume - Green Aliens
Corral - G
Expected Pace - 10-11 minutes

Race - Full
Name (optional) - Ryan T
DIS Name - rteetz
Costume - Dopey Shirt
Corral - G
Expected Pace - 10-11 minutes

Hopefully this doesn't get lost in all the excitement of our corrals. We have race retreat. How do we actually get into the Expo at 10am? Do we just print our form from Active with the QR code and they scan us in? I'm assuming when we get into the Expo we go someplace (maybe by bib pickup) and get a wrist band or something to get into the tents on Sat and Sun mornings? Thanks!

I think that is the question many of us are trying to figure out. Since 2014 when Dopey was added they have been A-P (I believe?).

Everything in today's corporate world is cost driven. I see two potential savings from cutting the corrals in half right off the top of my head.

First, assuming you only get fireworks at the start of each corral and not at the beginning of each wave within a corral, you've cut your pyrotechnic budget in half.

Second, assuming you maintain one entrance to each corral of the same size (or close) as current, you've cut your corral volunteers in half. I know they're volunteers, but the freebies they get for volunteering cost Disney/RunDisney and that can add up.

This is just my speculation, though.

Everything in today's corporate world is cost driven. I see two potential savings from cutting the corrals in half right off the top of my head.

First, assuming you only get fireworks at the start of each corral and not at the beginning of each wave within a corral, you've cut your pyrotechnic budget in half.

Second, assuming you maintain one entrance to each corral of the same size (or close) as current, you've cut your corral volunteers in half. I know they're volunteers, but the freebies they get for volunteering cost Disney/RunDisney and that can add up.

This is just my speculation, though.
Yeah I suppose that is likely the case but you'd think they'd be saving money now with no West Coast races.

Yeah I suppose that is likely the case but you'd think they'd be saving money now with no West Coast races.

If you operate on the assumption that RunDisney turns a profit on each race weekend they are actually losing a LOT of money with the cancellation of half their race weekends! That makes squeezing cost savings out of the remaining races all the more imperative.

Race - 5K
Name (optional) - Daniel
DIS Name - ChipnDale86
Costume - Blue Chip n Dale Shirt
Corral - A
Expected Pace - 8:30

Race - 10K
Name (optional) - Daniel
DIS Name - ChipnDale86
Costume - Green Chip n Dale Shirt
Corral - A
Expected Pace - 9:00

Race - Half
Name (optional) - Daniel
DIS Name - ChipnDale86
Costume - Blue Chip n Dale Shirt
Corral - D
Expected Pace - 10:00

Race - Full
Name (optional) - Daniel
DIS Name - ChipnDale86
Costume - Green Chip n Dale Shirt
Corral - B
Expected Pace - 9:30 (unless I'm feeling good and I'll shoot for 9:00)

Thanks so much @DopeyBadger !!!

Hopefully this doesn't get lost in all the excitement of our corrals. We have race retreat. How do we actually get into the Expo at 10am? Do we just print our form from Active with the QR code and they scan us in? I'm assuming when we get into the Expo we go someplace (maybe by bib pickup) and get a wrist band or something to get into the tents on Sat and Sun mornings? Thanks!
Last year they sent an email that you were supposed to print and bring (maybe you could just show it on your phone), but I think it had a QR code on it.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter