Marathon Weekend 2018

Other than the DIS how do you bring Disney into your daily life?

It's surprising to most of my friends that despite being so Disney obsessed, I don't have a lot of actual Disney stuff per se ... I have my medals, I wear my race shirts all the time, and I have photos of my family and friends and I at Disney in different places, but that's about it.

I recently became a TA that specializes in Disney (more trip planning than travel booking), so that's how Disney comes in to my daily life! I'm constantly reading and planning and talking to families about their Disney goals, drawing up touring plans and doing what I can to make sure that my clients have the BEST. TIME. EVER. - in fact, I have two families at Disney right now and they've been texting me multiple times a day with highlights of their trip, and I love seeing their ride and PhotoPass pictures and getting updates on the first-time experiences that they're having ... it makes me feel like I'm there with them!

Most of my Disney stuff is race-related (medals, magnets, rundisney Mickey)... I do have a pretty big collection of mugs, though (my current favorite is Alice in Wonderland). :)

5 months till the Marathon! Hope training is going well for all!

I am signed up for Dopey, for the 4th time. I was going to do a half marathon at the beginning of September, to improve my POT, so, of course, I've been hit my usual "I'm following a training plan" and "This time I will be properly trained for Dopey!" curse. In other words: I'm injured. At least this time it's not the knee for a change, but my Achilles tendon. It doesn't really hurt, but I can definitely feel it with every step, so I had to pause for a few weeks, and have just started with very short runs (under 3 miles) last week. SO annoying... But I hope that I can get it over with now, so that I won't have to worry about it during the marathon. :crutches:

I am signed up for Dopey, for the 4th time. I was going to do a half marathon at the beginning of September, to improve my POT, so, of course, I've been hit my usual "I'm following a training plan" and "This time I will be properly trained for Dopey!" curse. In other words: I'm injured. At least this time it's not the knee for a change, but my Achilles tendon. It doesn't really hurt, but I can definitely feel it with every step, so I had to pause for a few weeks, and have just started with very short runs (under 3 miles) last week. SO annoying... But I hope that I can get it over with now, so that I won't have to worry about it during the marathon. :crutches:
Hope you heal up to continue training, at least it's 5 months and not in 5 days so you've got time to take care of yourself:)

I'm in the training for a fast September half for a better POT rut too. I'm not injured, but I haven't been as consistent as I should have been. We've had a lot of family travel over the past couple of months. And while I've been pretty decent with weekly mileage, I've had a lot of SOS runs become easy runs. As a result I'm not sure if I'll hit my time goal.

Sorry to hear about your Achilles issues. Hope they resolve soon. Have you tried a support sleeve for it? I have a tricky Achilles in my left leg that flares up from time to time. I've found that the support that the Orthosleeve FS6 foot compression sleeve provides a lot of relief and support for the Achilles and helps it recover from its flare ups quickly.

Sorry to hear about your Achilles issues. Hope they resolve soon. Have you tried a support sleeve for it? I have a tricky Achilles in my left leg that flares up from time to time. I've found that the support that the Orthosleeve FS6 foot compression sleeve provides a lot of relief and support for the Achilles and helps it recover from its flare ups quickly.

No, not yet. It has been sore to the touch for years (nothing to worry about, according to my doctor), so I have just been hoping the usual treatment of stretching, rolling, icing and resting would help. At least I can now walk for more than a few steps without feeling it, so I guess there is some improvement, but it's been over a month now, so I guess I will have to look into sleeves after all. Thanks for the suggestion! I'll look into it and see if this one is available in Germany...

1. Sorcerer Radio,
2. Disney music CDs in the car,
3. movies on TV (Big Hero 6 last night and Snow White before church this morning) and collection of movies on VHS and DVD,
4. digital photo frame rotating disney pictures,
5. Mickey and Mr. Toad plush sitting on each side of the TV,
6. medal rack holding this year's medals (shoeboxes hold the others through the years since DH ran Disney Marathon in 1994),
7. Mickey tote bag with "Marathoner" monogrammed on it,
8. Mickey "bath bombs,"
9. Mickey/ Minnie kitchen mugs and travel mugs,
10. stacks of regular tee shirts and runDisney shirts, DS who lives with us has tees/hoodies from every WS country + Ireland (from Raglan Road)
11. Mickey/Minnie pj's,
12. Dopey and AP magnets on my car, (used to keep seasonal antenna toppers, too, but newer car doesn't have antenna any more)
13. family photos in Disney frames on the wall and in standing frames on tables,
14. Fab Five throw on the back of the love seat,
15. Lumiere candlabra on the mantle,
16. 5 different figurines on the bookcase (2 just Mickey, 1 Mickey/Mickey, 1 Castle with Mickey, 1 Wilderness Lodge Totem),
17. "free" passholder glasses from Food and Wine festival,
18. Mickey kitchen towels,
19. magic bands ready and sitting in the kitchen,
20. 3 more trips planned in September, November, and January!

That's all I can think of right now. Do my friends think I am a weird old lady? Yes, they do! But DS and DIL have MUCH more, including lots of fine art and hidden Pascals on the walls in the half bath. (Hint: look behind the hand towel and high above the door + one more!) We STAY in the Disney mood.

Wait!
21. D&B purse from DL Half Marathon weekend/60th anniversary (I splurged)
I love the idea of digital frame with just Disney pictures!

Not sure if anyone mentioned it while I was away but ChEAR Package registration is listed if you click the registration button and scroll down to the bottom.

Does anyone know when volunteer registration opens? I'm "only" running the marathon and have been debating volunteering for one of the other events.
No idea, but I was toying with the idea of volunteering for the 10k as we are just the marathon too. But then I'm not sure I could handle giving up a park opening morning & park time is the most valuable to us since it's vacation foremost. I know we'll spectate the half since we can combine that with Epcot easily.

Does anyone know when volunteer registration opens? I'm "only" running the marathon and have been debating volunteering for one of the other events.

Volunteer registration for the public opened on 9/13 last year for this year's weekend - and it goes VERY quickly ... medal shifts generally go first, then race assistance (water, etc.). Expo shifts hang around for a while.

In case people weren't familiar, you get one one-day, one-park ticket for every RACE shift you work. It gets mailed about four weeks after your shift. You also get a snack box and a bottle of water for consumption during your shift. For marathon weekend, you also get a pretty sweet race weekend volunteer windbreaker to wear.

For Expo shifts, you have to accrue hours - basically two shifts gets you a ticket. The bonus is you're inside and you get a catered box lunch/dinner during your shift.

Just keep an eye on this site for registration dates:
https://www.rundisney.com/volunteer/

Anyone know for volunteering is driving yourself or taxi/uber your only choices to get wherever you have to go? We won't have a car and would want a 10k shift. I'm assuming buses won't work since it's too early or not at Epcot where you go, obviously I have no idea but figure better find out before deciding to volunteer or not.

Thank you!

Last edited:
From what I've read you have to provide your own transportation, which would mean an Uber for me since I won't have a car. Like @cavepig, volunteering really depends on how it will impact my park touring. I'm hoping I can get an early shift and be done by the time my husband wakes up.

I emailed the volunteer group to inquire about the timing of volunteer shifts so I could start deciding how I could fit it in my schedule. They haven't replied yet, but the automatic reply did include this useful tidbit of information.
2018 Walt Disney World® Marathon Weekend - Celebratory Charity- The Leukemia & Lymphoma Society (Jan 3-7 2018) Registration will open on Tuesday, September 12, 2017 at 12pm ET

Volunteer registration for the public opened on 9/13 last year for this year's weekend - and it goes VERY quickly ... medal shifts generally go first, then race assistance (water, etc.). Expo shifts hang around for a while.

In case people weren't familiar, you get one one-day, one-park ticket for every RACE shift you work. It gets mailed about four weeks after your shift. You also get a snack box and a bottle of water for consumption during your shift. For marathon weekend, you also get a pretty sweet race weekend volunteer windbreaker to wear.

For Expo shifts, you have to accrue hours - basically two shifts gets you a ticket. The bonus is you're inside and you get a catered box lunch/dinner during your shift.

Just keep an eye on this site for registration dates:
https://www.rundisney.com/volunteer/
Thanks for sharing all your knowledge! I'm still on the fence but this info is helpful in deciding.

From what I've read you have to provide your own transportation, which would mean an Uber for me since I won't have a car. Like @cavepig, volunteering really depends on how it will impact my park touring. I'm hoping I can get an early shift and be done by the time my husband wakes up.

I emailed the volunteer group to inquire about the timing of volunteer shifts so I could start deciding how I could fit it in my schedule. They haven't replied yet, but the automatic reply did include this useful tidbit of information.

If you want to do park touring plus volunteering keep in mind that volunteering starts early. I remember someone posting on Facebook about waiting for a bus that was late picking them up (I guess they provided transport one year or we're supposed to? Not sure which race this was other then it was Disney) around midnight for the next days races. That was partly why I think they cancelled the half this year along with runner safety, volunteers would have been going on duty right around some of the worst of that thunderstorm that blew through.

btw, just noticed your goals of running the Marathon Majors...SO COOL!!!! I wish you great success - I want to do the same, though Boston will likely only happen if can use a moped to improve my times.

Thanks. It's probably going to take a couple of years to get into Boston shape and speed. But I'm thinking with time and effort I'll get there eventually. But first I got to get back to my old form.

Thanks. It's probably going to take a couple of years to get into Boston shape and speed. But I'm thinking with time and effort I'll get there eventually. But first I got to get back to my old form.
You'll do it - I'm very jealous that you are well on your way. I'm planning on starting with next years races to try to register for the majors.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter