Marathon Weekend 2018

My medals are all in race gear bags in drawers along with the bibs and whatever else I have that's race related.I always buy the race magnet of the marathon weekend race I run and put it in my car,most years it makes it the full 12 months without issue,maybe by December the color looks faded or it starts bending but this year we're only in August and the magnet is looking pretty rough.I'm thinking since I moved to Orlando which has higher summer temperatures than Miami the heat is really doing damage to the magnet,I think there's 5% chance it makes it to January,the color is going,and more importantly its bending and if it keeps bending it'll fall off,definitely going to have to buy the Wine and Dine magnet at least for the last 2 months of the year.The shirts I wear all the time,all the long sleeve marathon weekend and W&D ones I haven't worn in like 4-5 months,ToT and Star Wars are short sleeve so those are fine year round but I probably have like 25-30 other short sleeve race shirts from other races I wear year round,the only other race I've run that has the long sleeve shirts is Space Coast.

We're Disney first timers, so we don't have any rD medals, yet, but my girl's got quite a few medals in her collection from Philly. The '15, '16 and '17 Broad Street 10 miler medals all hang next to each other. The '15 Philadelphia Marathon medal is on its own, soon to be joined with the '17 Liberty Bell challenge. Then, soon after, (hopefully) a slew of medals from Disney will join them.

I display my Disney medals on a medal rack in our TV room. I've got the bibs tacked to a cork board along with my other marathon bibs. As for the shirts, I wear them regularly on runs although I generally don't like long-sleeve shirts on runs. A couple times I've worn Disney Marathon shirts at a race, and it never fails to occasion another Disney run vet to come up and introduce himself for a chat. I like that.

What do you do with your runDisney swag (medals, shirts, bibs, etc.), do you display it, put it in a box, something else?
Medals are hanging up, pins on the cork board, bibs in my bib book, and any wearable merch is worn when appropriate, magnets are on cars, and the only other things I've bought have been things to drink out of (tervis, cups with straws, wine glasses, etc.) which are used when applicable.

I have my medals from 2017 hanging in my cubicle at work. Medals from before are hanging in the office at home on a medal rack. My husband's medals are all on his medal rack in the office.

We both wear our shirts a lot and our jackets when its cold enough here for that. We each have a RunDisney magnet on our car. (I have the Mickey Head 19.3 and he has the Darth Vader Run)

I practically live in my technical race shirts, the cotton ones I don't find as comfortable. I am perpetually cold (unless I'm out for a run) so I wear my long sleeved ones from Avengers a lot, looking forward to 2 more from Marathon weekend.

My medals I am sad to say sit in a drawer. I keep saying I am going to get a medal hanger, but I never have. Maybe I'll finally do it after my first marathon.

I have a wooden ladder type thing my dad made that leans against the wall that all my medals are on (Disney and non Disney), it is pretty awesome actually, I love it and the fact he made it for me makes it extra special. He jokes he better start working on a second one soon, as I only have about a rung and a half left to fill up... it will be a while before it is filled up though! The top of the ladder has a little shelf where I put some of the non medal race swag like pint glasses and champagne glasses and stuff. My bibs are held together with binder rings and are hanging next to the medal ladder. I use to have everything hanging on the wall, but it became too heavy! A fun problem to have I guess!

My Disney medals are mixed with my non Disney ones and they are all hanging on a holder I made out of a curtain rod in my office at work. (I never have company at home - how else could I show them off, lol!) My bibs are in a book to keep them flat, still haven't figured out what to do with them yet. I also have my magnets at work on one of my filing cabinets. My race shirts I wear all the time. :)

What do you do with your runDisney swag (medals, shirts, bibs, etc.), do you display it, put it in a box, something else?
I got a new office at work last year and it has a big, blank wall - I grabbed a big spare bulletin board from our supply closet and stuck all my race bibs on it. I have some medals on hooks in my bedroom, but I don't much care about seeing them a couple weeks after a race, and I'd like my hooks back for scarves, so I'll probably toss the medals into the box holding the ones that wound't fit. I've kept a few race shirts that are comfortable and fun, but most went to Goodwill. Except long sleeve rD shirts - I keep a small pile of the ones I like best for winter runs/summer layers for air conditioned buildings, and the ones I don't like I keep for future race throwaway layers.

I emailed on volunteering since I won't have a car and was curious on shift times. Here's the response if anyone else is interested in what they said.

"Volunteers must provide their own transportation to the check-in tent. Once you check in, we do provide transportation to your volunteer location.

There are a variety of shift times available. First shifts begin at approximately 11 p.m. and final shifts conclude at approximately 2:30 p.m. You should be able to choose shifts that will conclude before the parks open."

My medals are all in race gear bags in drawers along with the bibs and whatever else I have that's race related.I always buy the race magnet of the marathon weekend race I run and put it in my car,most years it makes it the full 12 months without issue,maybe by December the color looks faded or it starts bending but this year we're only in August and the magnet is looking pretty rough.I'm thinking since I moved to Orlando which has higher summer temperatures than Miami the heat is really doing damage to the magnet,I think there's 5% chance it makes it to January,the color is going,and more importantly its bending and if it keeps bending it'll fall off,definitely going to have to buy the Wine and Dine magnet at least for the last 2 months of the year.The shirts I wear all the time,all the long sleeve marathon weekend and W&D ones I haven't worn in like 4-5 months,ToT and Star Wars are short sleeve so those are fine year round but I probably have like 25-30 other short sleeve race shirts from other races I wear year round,the only other race I've run that has the long sleeve shirts is Space Coast.

I wish the magnets would last longer, funny thing is I still have my inaugural dopey challenge magnet and it looks fine (except for going through a car wash so it has that "stone washed" look to it!) but I can't get my "current" year Dopey magnets to make it much past a year. And why the heck they give out a long sleeve shirt for a Florida Race (Space Coast) is beyond me, when I used to live in Missouri I wore those all the time, now I live in Orlando, not so much.

Jennifer

I wish Active and runDisney would make up their minds about American Express. For a while there (at least a year) it wasn't listed but it took the cards as payment for some reason. Now we're back to not accepting it (tried to buy Race Retreat today). I'm getting tired of the freaking whiplash with their opinion on the cards.

I wish Active and runDisney would make up their minds about American Express. For a while there (at least a year) it wasn't listed but it took the cards as payment for some reason. Now we're back to not accepting it (tried to buy Race Retreat today). I'm getting tired of the freaking whiplash with their opinion on the cards.

The accepted it last week when I added a pin bundle. Odd. Very odd.

The accepted it last week when I added a pin bundle. Odd. Very odd.

Yeah I just tried registering on my laptop instead to see if it was mobile bug. NOPE. Still won't take it. Might mention it to runDisney people since I'm going to go by to ask what's going on with the Disneyland races.

So, I've posted these pics of my Medals to this thread - I suggest you all do it because you have some awesome medals.

https://www.disboards.com/threads/what-do-you-do-with-all-that-bling.3381963/
https://www.disboards.com/threads/what-do-you-do-with-all-that-bling.3381963/
But here are my pics again - these were all inspired by @rteetz and his Mickey head cutout. I included a pre-medal pick so you can see all the hangers I used. This is still an in-progress display so the medals are kind of randomly placed. My mom helped me make this so I love it. I plan on attaching the bibs to Donald's chest - you see the empty white are he has. And I plan on using Mickey's bib area to be a day countdown until marathon weekend - or maybe my PR area.

20151128_152359.jpg

20170815_200152.jpg

20170815_201255.jpg

20170815_201302.jpg

We have medals above a 10k hanging on a small display rack, but all our 5k and 10k medals from Disney or local races go on our Christmas tree! I usually take the ribbons off and save those in a race scrapbook with the bib (or just toss if they are generic), then hang the medal with an ornament hook just like everything else on the tree. That way we get to see them once a year but don't have to have a place to hang them all the time.

I wish the magnets would last longer, funny thing is I still have my inaugural dopey challenge magnet and it looks fine (except for going through a car wash so it has that "stone washed" look to it!) but I can't get my "current" year Dopey magnets to make it much past a year. And why the heck they give out a long sleeve shirt for a Florida Race (Space Coast) is beyond me, when I used to live in Missouri I wore those all the time, now I live in Orlando, not so much.

Jennifer

Well I was at the Florida mall today and when I get back to my car my beat up and bent 26.2 2017 marathon weekend magnet had slipped down from its normal position,at least it didn't fall off while driving and was lost forever.I have some backup magnets I'll put in there,maybe some RunDisney ones from other years I used to put in my fridge or maybe a Universal AP magnet to complement the Disney AP magnet I have on the other side.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!