Luggage Carts

We fly so we don’t bring an SUV full of everything but the kitchen sink that needs to be schlepped to/from the room, which is why I love DME, our suitcases magically appear in our room/villa.
My question is how many luggage carts do they have? Last Dec. I was in the Bell Services luggage storage area at AKL Jambo and it’s not a big space. What happens when a guest calls Bell Services to pick up their luggage near check out time and all the carts are loaned out to other guests or have been abandoned in the parking lot or near rooms by other guests and Bell Services can’t do their work until a cart returns?
Most deluxe resorts have interior hallways so maybe guests blocking those hallways or banging into the walls or other guests in those hallways is more of an issue than the open walkways at values or moderates? Although the upper story walkways aren’t very big at moderates IME, does CBR even have elevators?

does CBR even have elevators?
No elevators and with the set up at CBR with Custom House being "separate" from the rest of CBR(since construction started Guests can't walk to Custom House)it really never has been "practical" for a Guest to borrow a luggage cart.:)

Are luggage carts no longer available for guest use at Disney World Resorts? I checked into Kidani today and was told by two Bell Services employees that luggage carts are no longer available for guests to use to unload their vehicles. I was told only Bell Services could use the carts. Any one else experience this or is it specific to Kidani? I know we've always used the luggage carts and unloaded our own car.
I believe it's been like that for years that guests couldn't use the carts.......exception of values where Disney utilizes a 3rd party to help with Luggage. Deluxe and Moderates employ tipped rate Employees. If everyone used a cart, they couldn't make a living. What was explained to me was that if all guests used carts it wouldn't allow others who actually need the service to get assistance. Thus, another set of issues as guests complaining they can't get help. Makes sense. If you don't wanna tip these people don't. I guess it's fair to allow them to keep their equipment to work with as what they were hired for. I wouldn't allow anyone to utilize my work computer and move me from my desk.

That's one of way of tracking and holding guests responsible. I think part of the issue is that many guests will take a cart to the room and then abandon it and not return it to the front. So the bell staff end up playing pick up the grocery carts all around the resorts, and you can really only drag two at a time. I think some lazy guests have caused this change by not returning the cars and just assuming it's somebody eases responsibility. Probably the same people that leave their grocery carts in a parking spot after they unload..
AOO, POP, Allstar use 3rd party. Deluxe and Moderates employ tipped rate people to provide the Luggage help. Your choice if you wanna give them something or not.

Is this now in effect at the Values as well?

It has always ben common practice for Guests to borrow luggage carts at the Values and that was still in effect as of our trip last month.

Thanks!:)
Values employ 3rd party for Luggage Assistance who make regular and not tipped salary like the other resorts.

I know a pp said they got a cart at pop, but last summer we were told guests couldn’t use them, only employees. Seems like a day to day or moment to moment decision.

BTW, what do you usually tip a bellhop? A flat amount or per bag? I usually give them $5 but is that too little?

I believe this is not accurate. Either all luggage service is contracted, or none is.

As someone who has worked in bell services, I can confirm it is accurate. All of the value's luggage assistance CM's are employed by a third party company, similar to how valet at the deluxe resorts are. Bell services at the moderates, deluxe and DVC resorts are Disney operated.

This old guy used to have to load/lug/drive/unload/return those dang carts. Took care of that long ago. Everything I have and take is on wheels. And everyone in my party has arms. They might complain, but never at Disney!

As someone who has worked in bell services, I can confirm it is accurate. All of the value's luggage assistance CM's are employed by a third party company, similar to how valet at the deluxe resorts are. Bell services at the moderates, deluxe and DVC resorts are Disney operated.
Values use an outside company. Moderates and Deluxe use Disney Castmembers to deliver luggage to rooms. Valets are outsourced by a company called Cars?

If the Bellperson and I interact well and I feel comfortable with him/her, answers my questions and such.......I give a little extra. Give them a few more dollars. Heck, a soft drink in the parks and a snack is almost $20.$$$$

Good to know.

Well, you cant use them in vegas anymore...only bell folks. So id assume WDW DLR the same. Really not an issue unless you are disabled...Nut, then the bell people will help.

Th
A CM told me that a character could not hold up a sign during a photo. I didn't bother fighting with her, even though I had just come from having other characters hold up a sign, and had done it numerous times before. (It said Get Well Soon and my friend's name, it wasn't promoting a business or anything.)

Oops, this is off track. Sorry.

BTW, what do you usually tip a bellhop? A flat amount or per bag? I usually give them $5 but is that too little?
Yes, it's too little. We are talking about adults trying to earn a living. I was going to say that $5 might be an appropriate tip for children running a lemonade stand, but then I remembered it's 2019. There aren't lemonade stands anymore.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter