Luggage Carts

We were staying at AOA last week and when we arrived they let us borrow a luggage cart with no questions asked. When we were checking out they did make us sign it out and sign it back in. They even had a book specifically for that.
That's one of way of tracking and holding guests responsible. I think part of the issue is that many guests will take a cart to the room and then abandon it and not return it to the front. So the bell staff end up playing pick up the grocery carts all around the resorts, and you can really only drag two at a time. I think some lazy guests have caused this change by not returning the cars and just assuming it's somebody eases responsibility. Probably the same people that leave their grocery carts in a parking spot after they unload..

Is this now in effect at the Values as well?

It has always ben common practice for Guests to borrow luggage carts at the Values and that was still in effect as of our trip last month.

Thanks!:)
I do think it's interesting that they seem to still be allowing it at value resorts. That makes me think it has zero to do with their insurance and a lot more to do with staff and their tips.

That's one of way of tracking and holding guests responsible. I think part of the issue is that many guests will take a cart to the room and then abandon it and not return it to the front. So the bell staff end up playing pick up the grocery carts all around the resorts, and you can really only drag two at a time. I think some lazy guests have caused this change by not returning the cars and just assuming it's somebody eases responsibility. Probably the same people that leave their grocery carts in a parking spot after they unload..
I'm thinking last time I borrowed one I had to leave me ID. I'm thinking their return rate was probably 100%.

I travel with my mother who is older and can't maneuver a suitcase, a carry-on and her cane at the same time. We stay at POP and I often borrow a cart the last day so we can weigh and rearrange them as necessary before we leave them with Bell Services. They ask my name and my room # and that's it. I return it when I leave my bags there before breakfast.

We were staying at AOA last week and when we arrived they let us borrow a luggage cart with no questions asked. When we were checking out they did make us sign it out and sign it back in. They even had a book specifically for that.
Thanks for the recent report!

I would have been super surprised if the "ban" on Guests using luggage carts had been implemented at the Values after all these years.:)

I worked at a hotel chain (not Disney) in the early 2000's and it was their policy then to not allow guests to use luggage carts. Not only for liability in case of injury or property damage, but also because guests were careless with them, bumping into things, etc. They would also abandon the carts when they were done with them and the bellmen would constantly be hunting for them. So, I wouldn't be surprised if this was a policy at Disney. For the people who were allowed to use them, I'd be willing to bet the bellmen were either shorthanded or it was very slow so easy for them to keep track of the luggage carts.

I am glad I drive and can bring my own cart. I prefer to make just one trip from the car to the room, and I usually have four bags and some water/soda to bring in. I wonder if they have a smaller supply at some resorts and don’t want to run the risk that a guest would ask for assistance and no carts would be available. The way the values (and to some extent, the mods) are laid out, it’s more conducive to guests moving their own bags, because the parking is so close to the rooms.

We weren't allowed to use a cart at the Yacht Club in January. Bell services brought our luggage in about 2 minutes though.

Last year at the Poly we were told the same thing. Not that I didn't want to pay the bell services employee but it's hard to justify tipping them when you have several healthy husbands and young adult males standing around waiting to unload the car (and use a cart). ...

giphy.gif

At a value or mod resort - I'd be happy to let them hold onto my ID to let me use a cart - or to have some type of quick sign out/sign in system. But it I can't use a cart myself - and it can only be used by Bell Services - well - then don't expect a tip.

Interestingly - I feel a bit different at a deluxe. Maybe that's due to my business travel. There's a "quality" of hotel in which I "expect" to have to tip a Bell Services person if I want help with my stuff.

Truth is - normally we just carry stuff and make multiple trips if we have to.

I worked the bell services/valet desks at a deluxe and guests were not allowed to use them. That was more than 10 years ago.

Not sure about mods/values.

Last edited:
When we were at SSR in August, I asked if we could use a cart to bring our luggage to our room and the guy looked at me like I had 3 heads before saying the carts were not for guests. The way he said it confused me and made me think that they were only for resort use (like Mousekeeping to haul around linens and stuff), and that they couldn't be used for luggage at all. Hey, it was a long day and my first deluxe stay- no judging! By the time we finally drug our crap to our room, I realized that surely they would have brought it for us if I asked and was kicking myself for not realizing what he meant by the carts not being for guests.

And in regards to characters, we were told that WE could not hold a sign in a pic with him that just said "Happy Birthday (nephew's name)."

This is fascinating to me. I never thought about it since we never bring that much luggage on our WDW trips. At most we have 2 of the full size rolling bags that even as a solo traveler, I can handle on my own. And my carry on is a backpack. Now when we do road trip vacations we have definitely used the luggage carts at hotels that we have stayed at. I guess I just always assumed that bell service at WDW helps you with your luggage if needed. To me it is no big deal giving them a few bucks to help with the luggage if needed.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter