Lost DVC points

I’m a numbers guy so I started thinking through the potential implications of the closures on future availability.

If you have not already seen it, also see the thread quoted above for a similar analysis

I can't tell anyone else what's right for them, but when I was looking at deadlines for my 2020 timeshare assets, I pushed as much as I could as far as I could into the future. Some of that was internally banking, some of that was depositing to an external exchange company. I'd rather get some value than none. I do have three bookings left. One is an exchange week on the southern California coast in mid-June, and the other two are back-to-back oceanfront weeks on Kauai in late December/early January. The CA week can be cancelled as late as the day before; I have cancel-for-any-reason protection on the points used there. The Kauai weeks can be deposited quite late and still generate halfway decent value, though I have to pay a small fee for each as late deposits.

As this drags on, I expect most other parties to become less generous, not more, as they see their own financial picture continuing to get more and more grim. So, from where I sit, I don't think it is reasonable to expect that Disney will later decide to give owners something non-trivial in compensation for an ever-increasing pile of expiring points.

I was super angry. However, the more this drags on, the more I see that DVC is sticking to the "rules" A

I would not be nearly as upset about losing my points because of “no rule changes” if no rule changes applied to everyone, Not just April/ June. The vast majority of people with affected reservations were able to bank and/or unborrow points because of rule changes.

As far as RCI goes, can someone explain to me how someone from RCI using my points next year is less damaging to the system than me using my points?

I would not be nearly as upset about losing my points because of “no rule changes” if no rule changes applied to everyone, Not just April/ June. The vast majority of people with affected reservations were able to bank and/or unborrow points because of rule changes.

As far as RCI goes, can someone explain to me how someone from RCI using my points next year is less damaging to the system than me using my points?

People were allowed to bank points because they were in their banking window, not because of any rule changes to banking

Your points when booked in RCI wont be booking DVC. From what I understand, DVC has a different timeline to deposit rooms there.l.i think I even read 2 years,...so, it allows you to save your points, but doesn’t require a room to come out of inventory right now, when there are shortages.

The only rule that changed is that those with borrowed were allowed to "unborrow" their points. For a very short period of time some member services cast members were allowing some to bank points past their banking deadlines but management quicky stopped allowing that.

The reason only April and June use years got stuck was because of timing, not rule changes. You have NEVER been allowed to bank in the final 4 months of your use year. March reservations fell within the final four months for only April and June use years. April reservations fell within the final four months of June/August use years, so those with August use years who didn't cancel before March 31 have now fallen into that category as well.

This I do not know. I think the only benefit for the membership must be that DVC picks which weeks and room types to offer up, so it's probably the least desirable.

got another email from DVC just now telling me to put my points into RCI " If I can't use them by May31st" Nope I am not using RCI. Completely disgusted with DVC and their lack of a plan by now. They know the parks will be closed for a while, with the possibility of a June 1 reopening they need to make a decision for April/June UY soon.
Are you getting these calls unsolicited or in response to your questions? I am set to lose 450 points on a 4/30-5/7 reservation with June use years points. Just wondering because no one has made any suggestion to me on these points.

Tell me what the RCI option is.

Are you getting these calls unsolicited or in response to your questions? I am set to lose 450 points on a 4/30-5/7 reservation with June use years points. Just wondering because no one has made any suggestion to me on these points.

Tell me what the RCI option is.
I have emailed DVC after 2 phone calls regarding my april reservations.... RCI I guess is some other timeshare service but it does us no good, we arent going anywhere else. Email them, and call and talk to member services.

They haven't called us at all, they only emailed 3 weeks after my initial email. I had called 2x and just got frustrated that they won't allow us an option to save the points for future use, or a rebooking.

I am a new(er) owner. When I bought my 1st contract, I had no idea about use years and use. I can't quote rental statues or paragraphs. All I know is, when I want to go to Disney, I call up or go online.. I work around all the walkers and what's available at the time. Then I book.
I might be in the minority, but that's how I do it... I think some people have incredible knowledge and can microscope out a vacation taking all of these issues into consideration. But some of us, Goofy-like members, just book what's available at the time and hope for the best.

People were allowed to bank points because they were in their banking window, not because of any rule changes to banking

Your points when booked in RCI wont be booking DVC. From what I understand, DVC has a different timeline to deposit rooms there.l.i think I even read 2 years,...so, it allows you to save your points, but doesn’t require a room to come out of inventory right now, when there are shortages.

So what you are saying is:

1) holding points were always allowed to be banked into next year
2) borrowed points could always be unborrowed

These rule changes are posted right on the DVC member site, so don’t tell me no rules were changed

Are you also saying that Points I deposit into RCI will never be used? Or are you saying RCI will use time travel to use them in the past? I should be able to get the same.

I would not be nearly as upset about losing my points because of “no rule changes” if no rule changes applied to everyone, Not just April/ June. The vast majority of people with affected reservations were able to bank and/or unborrow points because of rule changes

These rule changes are posted right on the DVC member site, so don’t tell me no rules were changed

Your original post that @Sandisw was responding to was suggesting that DVC implemented a rule that only April and June use years were not allowed to bank their points.

Are you also saying that Points I deposit into RCI will never be used? Or are you saying RCI will use time travel to use them in the past? I should be able to get the same.

Your post implied there was a banking rule change and those have not been amended.

In terms of holding, I believe they were obligated, based on the Home Resort rules, to waive those as that penalty only happens when an owner cancels. All points, even April and June UY were included.

In terms of RCI, I thought you were wondering how it helped the situation . You get to use them for 2 years and it helps DVC gets that same two years to deposit a villa.

So, you still save the points for some type of vacation and the system has fewer points chasing rooms.

I have emailed DVC after 2 phone calls regarding my april reservations.... RCI I guess is some other timeshare service but it does us no good, we arent going anywhere else. Email them, and call and talk to member services.
Sounds silly, but depending on how many points you put into the RCI network, I'm pretty sure you can use RCI to book a DVC resort. Round about way to get what you want, but have you looked at that as an option?

If you are just going to let the points expire anyway, I guess I just don't understand why you wouldn't consider putting the points in RCI. You have 2 years from the time they are deposited to use the RCI network, and if you never use them, it's no different from letting them expire in the DVC network.

.........................to let the points expire anyway, I guess I just don't understand why you wouldn't consider putting the points in RCI. You have 2 years from the time they are deposited to use the RCI network, and if you never use them, it's no different from letting them expire in the DVC network.
My guess is that she is hoping DVC will do something for those who have lost points due to the pandemic closures. If they do, it's reasonable to assume that it won't involve letting Members reverse RCI deposits.

FWIW, I'm not very optimistic that the parent Disney will do much to help out DVC Members. Just read a NYT article that said they are losing $30 Million a day and that their entire business model (in-person entertainment) may have to change.

Just my opinion; I've already stated this, and I hope I'm wrong, but I think DVC will not being granting any special exception for people in the position of losing points due to the closure. I myself have 610 points potentially at risk. I have an AUG UY, so I'm at a bit of an advantage because my RCI banking deadline is June 16th. I do have a little time to see how things play out come June. However, I also have a Disney Collection reservation at the DLR. If the DLR does not open by the end of July those points will be lost. They aren't eligible to be deposited into RCI and I have already missed my "Rule of 4" window to use them outside the Disney Collection in the Concierge Collection.

Last edited:
For me personally I'd be losing 90 points (June UY). Some of those points are banked from 2018. Are those points even eligible to be moved to RCI? If not then I have maybe 50 points that I can do something with and when I looked into RCI last week there wasn't much you could do with less than 100 points anyways.

For me personally I'd be losing 90 points (June UY). Some of those points are banked from 2018. Are those points even eligible to be moved to RCI? If not then I have maybe 50 points that I can do something with and when I looked into RCI last week there wasn't much you could do with less than 100 points anyways.
Yes. All of those points can be moved into the RCI network. However, there is a deadline for moving the points. I believe for June UYs you have to move them over by April 15th (or 16th -- call DVC MS they can give you the exact deadline).

Yes. All of those points can be moved into the RCI network. However, there is a deadline for moving the points. I believe for June UYs you have to move them over by April 15th (or 16th -- call DVC MS they can give you the exact deadline).

They told me the 17th when I called last week. If all 90 points can be moved I'll take a better look to see if ANYTHING is even available for less than 100 points.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter