Lost DVC points

Talldisfam

Talldisfam
Disney World vacation Club issued a message that will cause any members with reservations during the shutdown to lose banked points:

As we have shared, Disney Vacation Club has lifted the close-in reservation cancellation restrictions and will return any of your points back as vacation points or reservation points without placing them into holding. In the meantime, all points banking rules remain in place. While we understand the banking policy might create some frustration, please realize that this is in place to ensure that the membership as a whole avoids future inventory constraints.

Essentially, if you banked points to use on a vacation in the next few weeks and there are from your 2019 use year you will lose the points. Time to rise up DVC members!!!!!!!!!!

Disney World vacation Club issued a message that will cause any members with reservations during the shutdown to lose banked points:

As we have shared, Disney Vacation Club has lifted the close-in reservation cancellation restrictions and will return any of your points back as vacation points or reservation points without placing them into holding. In the meantime, all points banking rules remain in place. While we understand the banking policy might create some frustration, please realize that this is in place to ensure that the membership as a whole avoids future inventory constraints.

Essentially, if you banked points to use on a vacation in the next few weeks and there are from your 2019 use year you will lose the points. Time to rise up DVC members!!!!!!!!!!
Ugh. I’m so sorry to hear that & I’m sorry for all those affected by this! There are going to be a lot of painful repercussions from this pandemic.

I could possibly understand that bending the rules during this unprecedented time could result in difficulty with availability and booking for the next year or 2, but I would certainly hope that DVC would at least reimburse those with losses in some way that would be amenable to both sides.

That said, for those of us with near-term plans with points that could be banked if we cancel preemptively, but would lose out if canceled after park/resort closures are extended, this is very helpful information... and it is exactly what I’ve been wondering about. I have a trip scheduled for late April-early May and my husband is thinking I should cancel now. My flight TO Disney appears to be refundable under AA’s current guidelines and most of my DVC points are bankable until March 31, but my flight home is currently still in the non-refundable phase (because I booked separately- one way using miles & the return paying cash)... I don’t really want to cancel, but with the CDC now recommending gatherings be limited for 8 weeks, my trip seems less and less likely.

So, I would only lose a small amount of 2018 points if I cancel preemptively... but I would lose over 100 if I play the wait & see game. These are tough times, full of sacrifice and potential hardship... for consumers and businesses alike. I hope everyone stays healthy and fights for hope and joy amidst this turmoil. 😌

Yeah, we have a trip planned for end of May, first of June. Two separate stays, one booked on a contract with December use year (no problem), but the other, larger part from a contract with June use year. We stand to lose 88 points from 2019 on that one, since banking rules are still in place and we won't be able to bank these points, apparently.

Of course, this is all speculative, and we are hopeful that this virus is soon eradicated and WDW is back up and running long before that, but you never know.

I understand the frustration. I've also had a month to accept that we are vulnerable to losses right now and we cannot all shift the burden outward. We'll all need to absorb some of it unfortunately.

I've had a school trip for DS17 to UK/Scotland for 4 years now and invested $5k. Week by week this month I've had to swallow the reality we may not only be out the trip, we may be out the money. It stinks. 4 months ago I would've been outraged at the thought. Now I'm accepting that everybody is taking a hit and we're no different. Sometimes life squeezes lemons in your eye. Day by day, year by year it stings less.

We got really lucky with this. We rented points for a trip and our member was kind enough to reschedule us. We are squeezing in our trip and ending 2 days before their points expire. I totally understand the frustration, but won't returning all those banked points mess up inventory going forward?

Actually, for the majority of members, banked points would be from the 2018 use year. Only members with Jan-Mar use year are currently in their 2020 use year. For example, I am still in my 2019 use year until August. So if I have banked points, they were banked from my 2018 use year into my 2019 use year. If I have 2019 use year points, I could still bank them.

I'm not trying to make light of your situation, but I think it is important that we try to be as accurate in our statements given the current climate.

Actually, for the majority of members, banked points would be from the 2018 use year. Only members with Jan-Mar use year are currently in their 2020 use year. For example, I am still in my 2019 use year until August. So if I have banked points, they were banked from my 2018 use year into my 2019 use year. If I have 2019 use year points, I could still bank them.

I'm not trying to make light of your situation, but I think it is important that we try to be as accurate in our statements given the current climate.

Not quite accurate, if DVC is going to abide by current banking rules...depending especially on how long this goes on.

With the rule of 4, folks who have a trip planned on points between now and however long Disney is closed will be out of luck with not only a Jan, Feb, or March use year....but also an Apr, May, June, or July (or longer, depending on length of closure) use year if you cannot manage to squeeze in a trip between the time Disney opens back up for business and the time your use year ends. 2019 points from all these use years are gone if Disney doesn't provide some flexibility on this.

I borrowed points from UY20 into 19. We were set to check in this Saturday and obviously the resort is closed. The borrowed points went back into 19 and not 20. I thought they were going to be relaxed on this? Maybe it just needs time to settle or requires a call.

I still feel for those dealing with UY 18 points.

I have a June use year. I borrowed points almost all my points from 2020 into 2019 for a 3/14-3/21 trip. Right now my dashboard shows 271 points in my June 2019 use year.

There is no way for me to make it back out Disneyworld before the end of June...so now I stand to lose all 271 points.

I borrowed points from UY20 into 19. We were set to check in this Saturday and obviously the resort is closed. The borrowed points went back into 19 and not 20. I thought they were going to be relaxed on this? Maybe it just needs time to settle or requires a call.

I still feel for those dealing with UY 18 points.

DVC stated that all banking rules still apply.

Like you, I think they should offer some flexibility on this.

Maybe they'll come around after a little time has passed.

Not quite accurate, if DVC is going to abide by current banking rules...depending especially on how long this goes on.

With the rule of 4, folks who have a trip planned on points between now and however long Disney is closed will be out of luck with not only a Jan, Feb, or March use year....but also an Apr, May, June, or July (or longer, depending on length of closure) use year if you cannot manage to squeeze in a trip between the time Disney opens back up for business and the time your use year ends. 2019 points from all these use years are gone if Disney doesn't provide some flexibility on this.

Rule of 4 does not apply to DVC resorts. That is only for people who want to convert to reservstion points to book Disney cruse or Disney Colection

I read that to mean, the banking rules (before the same last four months of the UY) were still in effect. I have a May 4 reservation. My drop dead date for banking is April 30. But my drop dead to avoid Holding Points is April 2. If they haven't kept Disney closed for part of May by April 2, I'll probably cancel and bank them.

Rule of Four: You cannot book and stay during the last four months of your UY if you are booking outside of DVC into the Disney Collection or the Concierge Collection. It doesn't affect RCI or DVC booking. The Rule of Four is in place to give DVC time to rent out the inventory you gave them to pay for your non-DVC trip.

I have a June use year. I borrowed points almost all my points from 2020 into 2019 for a 3/14-3/21 trip. Right now my dashboard shows 271 points in my June 2019 use year.

There is no way for me to make it back out Disneyworld before the end of June...so now I stand to lose all 271 points.

Right now, Disney is bending the rules for borrowed points. They are putting them back,

So, you can call and have them restored,

Rule of 4 does not apply to DVC resorts. That is only for people who want to convert to reservstion points to book Disney cruse or Disney Colection
OK, "rule of 4" is not the right term, but do you have any exception with the rest of the post?

Depending on UY, no everyone whose trips were using banked points will lose them.

But, yes, they are not allowing people to double bank points so if one is traveling toward the end of their UY, it is going to be a potential loss.

OK, "rule of 4" is not the right term, but do you have any exception with the rest of the post?

Well, Disney has been allowing banking beyond the deadline. So, people who had current UY points but were post banking deadline have been allowed to bank late.

The banking rule that I believe they are discussing is that points will not be banked again,

The thing that I see is that the notion as always been thst it is risky to travel late in your UY because if something happens, not enough time to rebook,

I get this is widespread, but IMO, in reality, I’m not sure DVC should have been making any rule changes, even though I benefited,

To me, the fact they are removing holding status is huge...something they didn’t need to do,

Right now, Disney is bending the rules for borrowed points. They are putting them back,

So, you can call and have them restored,

Thanks. I hope they are able to. I still have 19 points stuck in the June 2019 use year, but I guess if I just lose these, that won't be too big a deal.

Well, Disney has been allowing banking beyond the deadline. So, people who had current UY points but were post banking deadline have been allowed to bank late.

The banking rule that I believe they are discussing is that points will not be banked again,

The thing that I see is that the notion as always been thst it is risky to travel late in your UY because if something happens, not enough time to rebook,

I get this is widespread, but IMO, in reality, I’m not sure DVC should have been making any rule changes, even though I benefited,

To me, the fact they are removing holding status is huge...something they didn’t need to do,

Where are you seeing this? In the email I received from DVC this morning, it specifically states that "all banking rules remain in place".

Are you speculating, or do you have some first hand information?

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter