Looks like Contemporary DVC is still a possibility...

I don't know that the point chart would be considerably(sp?) higher, but the need to book at the 11 & 7 month windows would be crucial. All the DVC's connected to WDW resorts have less unit #'s than the freestanding OKW & SSR. Probably while both those stand alone resorts have all unit types available for June as of last week and NOTHING available in the other 3.....

That 72 page engineering report and application for permits is a VERY costly excercize, even for Disney. I would estimate the value of the professional staff expended and the testing done to be in excess of $600,000. At least that's what two highly paid engineer friends estimated. Of course, we all know that Disney NEVER pays anyone more that $10.00 an hour!

I am sitting here with my husband, who is a land developer. He frequently orders these report. He said that report did not cost more that $100,000. He uses the same firm that disney did.

I was planning to buy add-ons for BCV but based on everything that is happening, I will wait a few months to see how this pans out. If I can add on 100 points or so at CRV I will do it. If it does not pan out I'll buy more at BCV. I wonder if it does pan out how long they will make the contracts for - 50 years?? - That will take my son out to 62. Great inheritance!

Thanks - I was actually kidding around - lame attempt, apparently....I know how to copy the graphic, but I wanted to convey my excitement re: CRV becoming a reality...

:blush: Oh my, I'm embarrassed! I need to read more carefully. Sorry!

:blush: Oh my, I'm embarrassed! I need to read more carefully. Sorry!

Oh, please don't be - I appreciate the info and the fact that you offered assistance - it was I that felt a bit foolish re: my post. So, now we have two things in common, but by far the more important one is our excitement over the happenings at the Contemporary!!

i think dvc wants to go back to how it was where they want to have more then one dvc you could buy into at a time. when i bought dvc i had a choice of 4 differnt resorts okw,bwv,hh,vb. so that way lets say you didnt want that resort that was selling you had another one you could pick from.

I see a situation, where they only have Studio or small one and 2 bedrooms, with kitchens like the studios. They will try to get as many units into that small space as possible. There will not be much in the way of "green space".

I doubt we'll see such a dramatic difference. This will be a 16 story crescent shaped building. There's one like that on the beach near me, and all those units are two bedroom apartments with full kitchens.

What I do envision is seeing any Grand Villas occupy the top two floors in a sort of penthouse style. No dedicated 2 bedrooms but all lockoffs.

As far as pts go, I think they'll be slightly higher than AKV and the price will go up as well as it does for all. But I can't see them changing from the established 11/7 month reservation system. There's no reason to. We already have tiny resorts at VWL, BCV and BWV and those are on par with each other. Same is true for availability. I do think we'll see the 11 month window become more of an issue, hence the need for ownership. But I doubt they'd muck up the system with a 3 month window for other owners.

I do expect this is a resort that I would only seek to book for 3 day stays. There's no non-park entertainment in walking distance as there is at BCV/BWV and even OKW/SSR.

What I do envision is seeing any Grand Villas occupy the top two floors in a sort of penthouse style. No dedicated 2 bedrooms but all lockoffs

I agree with the GV on the top floors, but I don't think you will ever see another BW situation where there are only lock offs.

Parents with small children, and many others such as my self, really want a dedicated two bedroom with 2 queen beds.

BCV and the mess they made there with the dedicateds and the 2 queens is a perfect example of the mistake and the repercussions of it. SSR was an example of we learned our lesson.

Parents with small children, and many others such as my self, really want a dedicated two bedroom with 2 queen beds.

I like the dedicated with 2 queens. As the years go by with my 2 boys, having 2 real beds will be my only option, can't picture a teenager on one of those sofa beds. Plus that big closet in the second br is a great place to stuff the bags.

Not specifically true. The question was where it said that. It was in those papers filed with the Water Management Board on a buried page. But like Eagle Pines it could all just be spec done by Disney. Anything can happen to make it seem like a better or worse idea and the whole thing becomes just a hotel addon.

So how long before a project goes live do your sources usually talk to you Sammie?

Well with the demoliation of the North Wing, they were evasive. Saying things like the work at the North Wing is part of the total Contemporary rehab and expansion. Which was true but not very specific. Then the day before the North Wing was actually bulldozed, I got an email saying, North Wing coming down. :)

Problem with my sources are they are far enough up the ladder to be cautious with what they share unlike the CMs on the front line, that will talk about anything and not care.

And then there are the situations where they actually tell but ask me not to share anything, and I respect that.

Also DVC could be covering some of the cost of the Contemporary project even though it might not immediately be announced as DVC but would allow them to come in later and take over part of it as they did at AKL.

Unless something changes drastically I think it will be a joint project because I get the feeling that Resorts really did not want to give up any part of the Contemporay at this time and there is some in house battles going on.

I think something as large as 13 floors could be enough for both.

.Parents with small children, and many others such as my self, really want a dedicated two bedroom with 2 queen beds.

That's a fair point. I'm just so used to the lock-offs, I didn't think twice about it. And all the dedicated 2 bedroom units I've stayed in at other timeshares included a sofabed and queen in the second bedroom. Sometimes I've seen two double beds, but that was part of a 3 bedroom lockoff (a 2 bedroom + studio).

Now if they want to get really fancy, they'd have some special concierge type lounge on the top floors to go with those GVs. I expect people will pay through the nose for those.

One thing does concern me though... the idea of balconies on those upper floors. I own a beach condo on the 9th floor of a 10 story building. I'm absolutely paranoid about letting my nieces and nephews out on the thing.

I think something as large as 13 floors could be enough for both.

Aren't the current wings only about 4 stories? If so, they could easily build a combo project and give back the hotel space while getting more than enough DVC space.

And thanks for explaining about your sources. With what happened with EP and SSR, I can easily see Disney changing its mind. But I think DVC is winning the battle. Didn't an exec tell the Guides last year that only new DVCs would be built and not hotels?

That's a fair point. I'm just so used to the lock-offs, I didn't think twice about it. And all the dedicated 2 bedroom units I've stayed in at other timeshares included a sofabed and queen in the second bedroom. Sometimes I've seen two double beds, but that was part of a 3 bedroom lockoff (a 2 bedroom + studio).

Now if they want to get really fancy, they'd have some special concierge type lounge on the top floors to go with those GVs. I expect people will pay through the nose for those.

One thing does concern me though... the idea of balconies on those upper floors. I own a beach condo on the 9th floor of a 10 story building. I'm absolutely paranoid about letting my nieces and nephews out on the thing.

I agree about upper level concierge. I think if the concierge goes over well at the new AKV you will definitely see it offered at the Contemporary. If they do someone will have to post photos for me. I get above 5 floors and absolutely get vertigo and become sick.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter