Just back from WDW using MYW dining plan

luvsgrumpy said:
:flower: :flower: Thanks for all the info! I know this was asked very early in the post and I wondered if anyone had any new info ... are there any menu restrictions regarding what could be ordered? (ex. very expensive meal, say $30 vs. the average priced meals or say a $10 shrimp appetizer if the others are priced around $5). Hope this makes sense. We are thinking of adding the dining plan for our group of 7 in April but my mom and I have to pick out every little detail and get an answer before we can make our decision, it just seems to good to be true. :flower: :flower:

Thanks again,

We just got back and had no restrictions at sit down meals. At Kona Cafe, I ordered a $9 crab cake appetizer, the $25 filet mignon and dessert. It was awesome! And a bargain on the plan!

I did have a weird experience at Earl of Sandwich in DTD for our CS meal. The CM there told me that we were limited to $8.50 per person. I had not heard that before. Our total did not exceed that, but if it did I would have had to pay the difference.

new kid at heart said:
What table service restaurants did you eat at? Did you have trouble with PS since you added the plan once you got there?

We added it after we booked our original package, but before we got to the hotel. Sorry I was not clear about that. I'm not sure if you can add it once you get to WDW. You can call Disney to find that one out.

I didn't know Earl of Sandwich was on the plan! Has this been a recent addition? It's good to know that some more DTD places are going to participate.

henrylovespooh said:
On a few occasions we shared CS lunch meals (me and DD 2 and DH and DS 3) and then used our saved credits on shared breakfasts. When ordering a breakfast on the plan, we got a beverage, a breakfast platter (pancakes, eggs, or waffles with bacon or sausage) and a danish or muffin for dessert.
QUOTE]

DH and I (no kids this trip) will be staying at Coronado Springs in Oct, and unfortunately, it's the only resort that does not accept the dining plan. Where can we order breakfast on the plan?

ncbyrne said:
henrylovespooh said:
On a few occasions we shared CS lunch meals (me and DD 2 and DH and DS 3) and then used our saved credits on shared breakfasts. When ordering a breakfast on the plan, we got a beverage, a breakfast platter (pancakes, eggs, or waffles with bacon or sausage) and a danish or muffin for dessert.
QUOTE]

DH and I (no kids this trip) will be staying at Coronado Springs in Oct, and unfortunately, it's the only resort that does not accept the dining plan. Where can we order breakfast on the plan?

I have read recently that CSR's Pepper Market (counter service) & Maya Grill (table service) are now accepting the plan!

MomofKatie said:
I didn't know Earl of Sandwich was on the plan! Has this been a recent addition? It's good to know that some more DTD places are going to participate.

I have to confess I didn't know if they participated either. We went to DTD on a rainy day unexepectedly and I remembered reading good reviews on the boards. I went up to the CM at the register and asked if they participated. She said yes. I guess it can't hurt to ask at places you're not sure of.

How about DVC members? Can you use the Dining option when using your DVC points? How about if you are renting someone else's?

henrylovespooh said:
We got back from WDW yesterday. :guilty:

We used the dining plan and loved it. We paid $80 per day for 2 adults and 1 3 year old. We also have a 2 year old who was not able to use the plan. We ended up not using a couple snack credits, but we had already saved so much by using the plan that I didn't care. I think if it was hotter we would have gotten more bottles of water, but it was warm and I wasn't that thirsty.

Here are the three glitches we encountered:

1) At Boma, the waiter accidentally charged us for our 2 year old DD - she looks like a 3 year old. I didn't catch the error right away, but I went to Guest Services the next day and they credited me back the meal - no questions asked.

2) For some reason, when you get a snack from a snack cart, they have to ring every snack up separately. The CM I spoke with hopes they will fix this glitch. I would suggest either telling the CM when you place your order so they can be ringing up the snacks while they fill the order, or having a couple people in your party get in line to get the snacks. If you order snacks at your hotel food court, you can do them all at once, I think.

3) At the Earl of Sandwich, I was told that I was limited to $8.50 per person. My total for 3 meals was $24.50 so it didn't matter, but I did think it was odd.

On a few occasions we shared CS lunch meals (me and DD 2 and DH and DS 3) and then used our saved credits on shared breakfasts. When ordering a breakfast on the plan, we got a beverage, a breakfast platter (pancakes, eggs, or waffles with bacon or sausage) and a danish or muffin for dessert. I ate the danish and shared the platter with my 3 year old and DH shared a platter and muffin with our 2 year old. It allowed us to make more use of the plan and it lessened the amount of food.

We timed our meals so that lunch was around 11:30 and dinner was around 6 p.m. I thought we got more value out of Kona Cafe and CRT (dinner) because the cost of the appetizer, entree and dessert was about $35 per person. But even with the character meals and other buffets, I think we did very well saving money.

To answer some questions I've read on this thread, I was able to track my meal credits by both lookin on my receipt and by going to Guest Services for a print out of my credits and used meals. The credits never broke out kids' meals from adult meals. I know we ordered more adult CS meals than kid meals because some places didn't have chicken nuggets as a kids meal but had it as an adult meal. We never had a problem. That was never an issue with the sit down meals.

I never felt restricted by using the plan. l liked all the restaurants we selected. (Boma, CRT, Kona Cafe, Sci-Fi, Crystal Palace, Biergarten, Chef Mickey's, Columbia Harbour House, ASMo food court, Sommerfest, Flame Tree barbecue). We go to WDW every two years, so if there was a restaurant we didn't do this trip, we can try it the next trip.

For snacks, we had popcorn, frozen fruit bars, soda and water.

I thought the $10 charge for my 3 year old was just fine, because often he shared his meal with his 2 year old sister, so feeding 2 kids for $10 a day is a bargain anywhere you go.

Overall, I liked the plan and estimate we saved at least $150 by using it. If you have any questions, let me know.

I know someone has asked this before, but I read this whole thread and I didn't see a response. We are family of 5, mom, dad, 10yo, 8, 5. I've paid for 3 "adults" and 2 kids. We were planning on paying out of pocket for a couple of kid meals so we can use the extra tickets to take my inlaws out to dinner one night. Disney did say I could do this, but they also said the kids vs. adult credits would be separated. Now, we could easily pay for my daughter for a kids meal, but I could really save up a few more by paying/or sharing kids meals one night so we could see Hoop Dee Doo or another signature for a 2 tickets. Has anyone done this? I'm just worried they will give us a hard time when we're taking inlaws out.
Thanks.

It seems really weird to me that even most of the Counter Service restaurants in WS at EPCOT aren't included. We do almost 2 full days in EPCOT, and eat often in the World Showcase. Anyone know if Disney plans to add other international destinations to the restaurant list?

There are several counter service meal options at Epcot. Go to www.touringplans.com for the list of all options at Disney

Here are some of them at Epcot:

Electric umbrella Restaurant, Kringla akeri Og Kafe, Sommerfest, Yorkshire County Fish Shop.

Hope this helps :cheer2:

Henrylovespooh:

Quick question for you:
We will be traveling with our 5 year old and 2 year old in May. I am considering the MWY Dining Package.

How did it work with your child under three? I know they can not participate in the plan. Did you simply buy a seperate meal for that child each time? I just want to understand how it would work with our little one. She may be only two, but she likes a snack like the rest of us! :teeth:

Thanks so much!

sbkz said:
I know someone has asked this before, but I read this whole thread and I didn't see a response. We are family of 5, mom, dad, 10yo, 8, 5. I've paid for 3 "adults" and 2 kids. We were planning on paying out of pocket for a couple of kid meals so we can use the extra tickets to take my inlaws out to dinner one night. Disney did say I could do this, but they also said the kids vs. adult credits would be separated. Now, we could easily pay for my daughter for a kids meal, but I could really save up a few more by paying/or sharing kids meals one night so we could see Hoop Dee Doo or another signature for a 2 tickets. Has anyone done this? I'm just worried they will give us a hard time when we're taking inlaws out.
Thanks.
I've been thinking about your question but don't really know the answer so I'm bumping up to see if anyone else knows.

I honestly don't know if this how the MYW plan was intended (to have others not on the plan eat the food) but then again if you save up your meal options there seems to be no reason why you can't "share" your meals with whomever you choose. I don't blame you for being concerned, though, your KTTW card I believe says how many are in your party. I don't know who at Disney said you could do this but I guess I'd double check.

Other opinions? :confused3

mdboyd, children under three are welcome to share off the plates of others in your party as noted in the brochure. (There was a reference to this early in the thread; it is mentioned in the MYW dining brochure).

pmtaylor, thank for the touring plans link. It might help the above poster with the question he asked.

There seems to be conflicting info about the under 3 crowd! On the link given earlier, http://www.touringplans.com/MYWDining.html it says that "Children under 3 eat free. " My travel agent and 2 different WDW people all said that the child under 3 gets meals credited to them. But then someone said they went with their 2 yr old and did not get the meals credited but were able to share and it wasn't a problem. I can see it not being a problem as my 2 kids can share a popcorn easily or one of them can have an appetizer as a main course, but still it seems that this is a conflicting issue.

Thanks for all the great reveiws everyone has given on this subject! When we went on our Honeymoon in Hawaii we had a hotel where breakfast and dinner was included - it was great to be ON VACATION and not have to worry about the food. I know lots of people who wouldn't do the dining plan cause it is expensive but our view is you are on vacation - eat like it!!!

Nora, looking forward to yummy desserts every day!
Going April 22 - May 1st, with husband, 5 yr old and 2 1/2 yr old, first time since being a college kid (when I hated it, LOL)

The Official word from Disney is that under 3 year olds are not given meal credits. Only those who purchase the meal plan, age 3-9 or adults are given credits for meals. Disney allows under 3 to eat free at buffets, and to eat off the family plates at other meals. You always have the option to purchase an additional child's meal for the under 3 if needed. And so it goes....

I want to ask this just to make sure I understand it correctly....

If I have the dining plan and want to pay cash for my kids' meals to save credits, is that allowed? The way Im reading it, it is ok, but I want to make sure :)

ksjayhawkfan said:
If I have the dining plan and want to pay cash for my kids' meals to save credits, is that allowed? The way Im reading it, it is ok, but I want to make sure :)
::yes::

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter