Just back from WDW using MYW dining plan

Pea-n-Me

DIS Veteran
What a great plan! You get a ton of food, almost more than we could eat! Had some really nice meals. Here's where we ate, in order of favorites:

Dinners:
Boma
Ohana
Hollywood and Vine
Cape May Cafe
Liberty Tree Tavern
50's Prime Time Cafe

Lunches:
Pepper Market
Flame Tree BBQ
Pop Century food court
Casey's Emporium
Electric Umbrella

We had the MYW base tickets (no hopping) which worked out fine for us but to keep things fairly simple we ate in or near the park we were in each day. We did have a car but mostly used Disney transportation to get around.

We found that many of the CMs still were unfamiliar with the MYW dining plan so it's helpful to learn about it yourself before you use it. For instance, at the Pepper Market, standing in line with our food, we were told by the cashier they "didn't take that" when I presented our room key with Dining on it. Luckily, a manager was nearby and he overheard and corrected the cashier. Of course, I knew they took it, but had he not been nearby it would have been quite a hassle. We were told we were the first to use it there. :confused3

Most of the other CMs did know about it but some weren't sure how to ring it in. At MGM one CM rang in each snack on each card requiring 4 signatures, etc...(and majorly holding up the line) but others seemed to know it only required one main (adult) card. We were also told at the front desk to make sure they know we have MYW dining or it might be rung up as a room charge which I could see happening. They did give us a brochure at the front desk explaining the rules of MYW dining as well as participating restaraunts and I would suggest keeping it with you at all times. When you get your receipt it shows you how many of that type option you have remaining. e.g. for a 6 night stay we had 24 of each (4 people X6 nights) snack, counter svc and dinner so they subtracted from those each time and it showed on the slip.

One thing that I was a bit uncomfortable with was the tipping process with the MYW package, primarily because many of our servers were unfamiliar with the package and still included the "tipping sheet" with our bill stating the tip was not included. I explained to each server that the main (15%) gratuity was included, though we added another $5 to each to make 20%. I didn't want anyone to think we left without tipping. The only time the tip was listed on the bill was at Ohana and when I asked the server about it she said they were supposed to do it that way! :rolleyes: So, yes, a lot of inconsistencies in implementing the plan, but still a good plan.

Here's a sample of one day's totals. Since we payed $90/day (2 adults and 2 seven year olds) it was a nice savings.

4 popcorns@ $2.75 each: $11
4 counter service meals w/ dessert: $45
4 dinners with appetizers, desserts and gratuity: $114
Total: $170 (an $80 savings).

Lastly, we found that having a big lunch around noon, then a big dinner at 6ish was kind of a lot. Spacing it out more would be better, if possible. And though we never tried it, I wondered if you could make breakfast count as one of the counter service meals instead of lunch, I bet you could. (We had bought some breakfast items for our room. Also, we had to change many of our dinner PS's because when we got to the resort some of the previously published Extra Magic Hours days had changed so we had to change most of our dinner times and not all hours were available at that point). :headache:

If I can answer ?s I'll try. Overall I'd recommend the plan! :wizard:

I'm really glad to hear you had a positive experience. I didn't know pepper market was included either. Did you try to get other snacks besides the ones listed?

good news to hear!!!I was thinking about doing this with my DH when we go in June.(keeping fingers crossed that THAT does not get changed AGAIN!).it seems worth it to me.We normally do NOT eat that much BUT.....it still seems like a great deal.thanks for sharing,,,,i just wanna ask one thing,,,,,IS TIP included or not?(am confused,,no coffee for me yet..lol)..ans what about tax?I am one of those people that sift through every package,,offer,,with a fine toothed comb to make SURE that I know what the skinny is....thanks again!!!

jjohnson said:
I'm really glad to hear you had a positive experience. I didn't know pepper market was included either. Did you try to get other snacks besides the ones listed?
LOL, my kids like popcorn a lot so we did often get 2 popcorns and 2 drinks. We also got frozen novelties one time, one Mickey bar, one frozen banana :love: and two popsicles. I also wanted a frozen Coke one day and was going to pay for it ($2.75 too) but I asked the CM to try it and it did go through as a snack option which was nice. :wizard:

allisonwonderland said:
i just wanna ask one thing,,,,,IS TIP included or not?..ans what about tax?
Yes, a 15% gratuity and tax are included. HOWEVER, not all the CMs seem to know about it so they still include that "tip not included" card in your bill - that's why I felt the need to explain it to them. Not a problem, they understood once I explained it. Had I not been sure about it myself I'm sure I would have felt it necessary to leave the entire tip with the bill as I'm sure many people are going to do.

The only servers who seemed really sure about it was one at LTT who said it was just 15% (which I didn't know; I never saw the amount specified anywhere including in the brochure) when I mentioned it to him and the one at Ohana who actually included it with our bill (the only one who did that, a nice thing). Some servers were average but some worked really hard, like the man at LTT who needed roller skates he was running around so much, and our 50's Prime Time server who earned every penny with her wisecracks and shenanigans (though the food there was just so so).

Wow, it looks like on an average day, you were able to save alot of money! I work at the WL and have had 2 different tables with MYW dining so far. Each of the checks for 2 people were over $100.

Thanks for posting your report on MYW Dining Plan. I've been waiting to hear about it. I was thinking of getting this for our trip in July (my DNce and DNph - 6 and 8) are going alone this trip. They also enjoy popcorn a lot but those frozen Cokes :drinking: will come in mighty handy in July! I'll get them the popcorn and myself the frozen Coke :rolleyes1

suzannews said:
I work at the WL and have had 2 different tables with MYW dining so far.
Wow, that's amazing! So maybe we really were the Pioneers at the Pepper Market! :banana:

Thanks so much for posting. I have been researching my trip for Sept and was planning to book the dining option. It really looks like a good deal. I can't beleive that at dinner you get an appetizer, entire and dessert -- that could be $40-$50 dollars per person for the cost of $35 including lunch or breakfast and a snack!!

Sounds like a great deal! And that is why I was so happy to see your post because I was wondering if this was one of those too good to be true deals!

Thanks
Nicole

:banana: Yeah! I'm glad to hear a happy review of the dining plan! Wow, you guys made out like bandits with those savings!!! Glad you are pleased. We are doing the dining plan in May and were a little nervous. :teeth:

Did they separate children's and adult's meals? How do they know who is using the meals?

** For example, if five people (three adults and two children) were at WDW in two rooms and the room with 2 adults and two children got the meal plan. How does WDW know the the "family unit" isn't getting three adults meals and one child's meal each time, especially at the sit-down meals?

(I am going with my daughter and her family under the above circumstances in September, so I was wondering about how the meal plan would work.)

Thanks for any assistance, Cindy :cutie:

clhcpaca said:
Did they separate children's and adult's meals? How do they know who is using the meals?

** For example, if five people (three adults and two children) were at WDW in two rooms and the room with 2 adults and two children got the meal plan. How does WDW know the the "family unit" isn't getting three adults meals and one child's meal each time, especially at the sit-down meals?

(I am going with my daughter and her family under the above circumstances in September, so I was wondering about how the meal plan would work.)
When you book the package, everyone on your reservation has to get the meal plan so they are already all paid for. You would have to book a separate reservation if you didn't want to be included on the plan.

ETA: Here's what it says on the dining brochure: Upon check-in, all meals from the package are combined into one central account for maximum flexibility. Any guest in the party may use the meals from this central account at any time during their package stay until all the meals are gone.

Was Pepper Market listed on the brochure you got at check-in? The list on Disney's site doesn't list it and neither does the one from our TA. Thanks for your report!

You mentioned dessert with the counter service meals. I didn't think the counter service included dessert. Did you pay extra for that or is it included? Thanks! Glad it worked so well for you!!!

dumb question..BUT are the meals limited to certain things on the menu,,OR can u get what u want? FOR example..DH and I wanna do BOMA one night(buffet) FANTASMIC dinner deal one night(TS) and Capn jacks our first night in at DOWNTOWN DISNEY,,well boma i know is like 25 bucks a person and capn jacks had 15 dollar appetizers(gads I rarely spend that on my entitre meal),,,,, thanks again!!! :moped:

elkton_john said:
Was Pepper Market listed on the brochure you got at check-in? The list on Disney's site doesn't list it and neither does the one from our TA. Thanks for your report!
Well I just dug out the brochure (haven't unpacked yet) and you're right, it doesn't list anything at Coronado Springs. I'm sure I saw it listed somewhere, though, so I was certain it was good at Pepper Market (good thing it was, LOL).

The way I thought of it was that it was good at any counter service Disney restaraunt since it was precoded as part of your room key (which is taken everywhere). The real problem seemed to be people being unfamiliar with it more than anything else. So as long as you still have options left they should take it anywhere.

Liz said:
You mentioned dessert with the counter service meals. I didn't think the counter service included dessert. Did you pay extra for that or is it included? Thanks! Glad it worked so well for you!!!
Yes, desserts are included with the counter service meals! Some of the kids meals included dessert (a cookie or applesauce) but if not they could pick whatever they wanted. And of course we could have our pick twice a day. :faint: Eating two desserts a day was a first for us (and I'll be paying for that for a while, I'm sure)! :rotfl2:

allisonwonderland said:
dumb question..BUT are the meals limited to certain things on the menu,,OR can u get what u want? FOR example..DH and I wanna do BOMA one night(buffet) FANTASMIC dinner deal one night(TS) and Capn jacks our first night in at DOWNTOWN DISNEY,,well boma i know is like 25 bucks a person and capn jacks had 15 dollar appetizers(gads I rarely spend that on my entitre meal),,,,, thanks again!!! :moped:
Yes, you can get whatever you want. So that makes certain places a better value than others. With some restaraunts you have to use two of your dinner options but Cap'n Jack's isn't listed as one of those (is TS Toy Story?). The non-buffet restaraunts where you get a separate appetizer, entree and dessert cost the most but everything is included with the MYW plan. :wizard:

I realize this is a new plan and appreciate your taking the time to respond. I have a follow-up question from page 1 about the grouping of the meals. You said you had 24 of each since there were 4 of you. If you had wanted to go to a signature restaurant, could you have paid in cash or room charge for your kids and used the 4 sit-downs for you and hubby as opposed to using 8 sit-downs? It seems as though paying cash for the kids would be preferable at the signature restaurants.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter