just back, ettiquete questions

Status
Not open for further replies.
PatrickandLukesmom said:
It should not jump anyone past the 100 or so other people who have been waiting for the bus. Once their family members reach the front of the line, they can be first to board the NEXT bus....
Respectfully, this is how Walt Disney World chooses to handle "it".

There've been times I've had to wait for the second, third, or fourth bus simply because there were mechanical issues with the previous buses. Now, add to that expecting the wheelchair/ecv user to wait for, say, the fourth bus automatically because that's where their family is in line. They wait. The fourth bus comes - but there are already two wheelchairs tied down, so they can't board that bus. Now the fifth bus comes. It's an older bus. Oops. The lift is broken. Now they have to wait for a seventh bus. The seventh bus comes, but again, it's got two ecvs aboard already. Now they're waiting for an EIGHTH bus. Oh, no. This bus has one of those (rare) drivers with selective vision. The driver doesn't 'see' the Guest in the ECV. With the buses coming about every twenty minutes, this Guest has now waited over THREE HOURS for a bus.

Is that really realistic? Yes, I know my example is extreme, but since I actually have waited through four buses at Epcot for mechanical reasons, in the middle of the afternoon, it's not impossible. I've also waited in long lines of ecvs/wheelchairs at park closing when buses for my resort have triple-piggybacked out in the parking lot. This allows three times as many Guests on foot in line to board buses - but still only TWO wheelchairs/ecvs, because we can't board anywhere except AT the official bus stop.

I don't buy that argument. There is always someone more disabled, always someone in more pain, always someone who has been though more than another person. You're right. To dismiss someone's disability/pain/discomfort because there is someone else who has it worse is NOT "nice" ... it is mean-spirited.

My apologies if you took this as mean-spirited...genuinely wasn't meant to offend. However - it's posted as responding to people that are posting they are "disabled" and referencing minor ailments. It's happened on this thread. I will not quote exactly where, nor will I call people out for it. As I don't want to be accused of directly insulting someone. However - if you read entire thread...there are absolutely people calling themselves "disabled" or "handicapped" for swelling and muscle strain.

As someone who has witnessed hard-core disabilities... I do tend to find fault when others put themselves into the "disabled" or "handicapped" category for significantly lesser issues.

Albeit - not meant to offend... just would like for people to "see" there are levels of disabilities ranging from "boo-boo" to "life altering"...and when those lines get blurred...it rubs me wrong. :hippie:

For your first situation, that actually is a little rude of them to do that.

Second Situation, call me cold hearted but, all I can say is too bad. Everybody wants a seat and wants to get back to the resort just as much as you do. Yes some people do need seats more than some do, but in your situation I probably wouldn't have given up my seat to you, nor would I expect anybody to give up their seat to me. Now if it was a women with a baby, I would give up my seat, or a elderly person, or someone who looked like they were in physical pain.
You also shouldn't just judge someone by looking at them, including that college aged boy.
STORY TIME!!! haha
About a month ago we were leaving the MK at closing, so the buses were crowded, and I don't know what I did, but I screwed up my back and walking and standing was a major pain. (No it wasn't just I'm tired pain, I ended up going to the doctors.) And I got a seat in the back, and a few kids sat by me and the dad and mother stood right near me. (BTW I'm a teenager) And this mother was bickering about me not giving up my seat to her so she could keep an eye on her children... which she had a fine view of standing, and she was glaring me down. I was thisclose to blowing up on her (it was a longggg day, but thats a story I'm not getting into hahaha) but I kept my cool and tried to ignore her. If she needed that seat THAT BAD she could have asked politely, and heck we might have figured something out.
Rude people anger me.

Oh and same trip another story! haha
We were going to DTD from our resort, the bus pulled up and the driver announced, STANDING ROOM ONLY! Which was fine by us, but not for the family in front of us. They had some children (my age guess is 7-8ish years old) And the mother rudely said, But we have children!!! The bus driver told them that they could wait for the next bus, that didn't go over well, but long story short, that family lost.

The vast majority of people at Disney are going to be families with kids. The vast majority of people at themeparks are going to tired and not not feeling too up for standing. Almost everyone there has been standing for the vast majority of the day :). Almost everyone is in the same plight together.

So for all of you who feel that a kid should stand at what age to you think it is OK? :confused3 I mean do you think it is OK and safe for my 2 year old to stand or for me to stand holding him? When we are on crowded buses I always put my son on my lap and my husband and daughter (who is 8) give up their seat. Oh and having stayed at SOG the poster who posted about the courtesy on their buses was completely right. Boy talk about a me me attitude some have!!!

We will have to agree to disagree on this... :hippie:

Really? You think it's reasonable for people to assume that they can impose on someone else rather than taking steps to ensure their own safety and comfort? You're right, I guess we will have to continue to disagree because I can't imagine ever having that mindset. :confused3

ETA - Or are you disagreeing about people comparing swelling and tendonitis to storkes and paraplegia? Because I just reread the whole thread (yes, I'm a glutton for punishment apparently!) and still haven't found anything remotely resembling that. Are you perhaps thinking of another thread about buses? They do pop up fairly often, after all.

As far as seats on buses go, I'll give mine up to women and elderly. I've not heard of giving seats up for kids? Unless they look like they are having a hard time at standing or some other circumstance.

My apologies if you took this as mean-spirited...genuinely wasn't meant to offend. However - it's posted as responding to people that are posting they are "disabled" and referencing minor ailments. It's happened on this thread. I will not quote exactly where, nor will I call people out for it. As I don't want to be accused of directly insulting someone. However - if you read entire thread...there are absolutely people calling themselves "disabled" or "handicapped" for swelling and muscle strain.

As someone who has witnessed hard-core disabilities... I do tend to find fault when others put themselves into the "disabled" or "handicapped" category for significantly lesser issues.

Albeit - not meant to offend... just would like for people to "see" there are levels of disabilities ranging from "boo-boo" to "life altering"...and when those lines get blurred...it rubs me wrong. :hippie:

There are different levels of disabilities and there are also long and short time disabilities. Also people process pain differently. If someone will hit his foot while a park and feels it makes him temporary disabled who can tell him otherwise, his foot, his pain. Why to decide for others what they should do?:confused3

OK, I asked this above, but nobody answered.

If you or your children need a seat, why don't you ask? If someone says no, they are a jerk, THEN you can complain.

As far as seats on buses go, I'll give mine up to women and elderly. I've not heard of giving seats up for kids? Unless they look like they are having a hard time at standing or some other circumstance.

Generally speaking, you would not give up a seat to a child. On a bus, however, I would offer my seat for a child to sit for the simple reason that it's SAFER for the children to be sitting. The have neither the coordination, nor the strength, to stay standing with the sudden stops and turns. THAT'S why I believe small children should be given first dibs on seats - at least seated in someone's lap.

In fact, if I were unable to give up my seat due to an injury and I saw a family with children, I'd go so far as to say "I need my seat due to an injury; however, if one of your smaller children wouldn't be uncomfortable sitting with me, I'd be glad to make room on my lap." I doubt most parents would take me up on the offer (though I am a harmless looking woman), but I'd make the offer nonetheless.

There are also many times when you board a bus you can't tell how many seats are available. Think about instances where a bus stops at other resorts before yours or when you get there and see only a few boarding but obviously there were more before that who are already seated. Realistically, asking or expecting an elderly person or a young child or person holding a young child to just get off the bus (especially if juggling bags or strollers) is just plain rude if all it takes is for an ABLE-BODIED person to stand up and offer a seat for the ride.

Yes I agree with the OP and would expect someone to offer my young children a seat (with the only exception being if I shoved myself and family onto a knowingly packed, standing room only bus). Myself, I don't care and will stand or sit with the children on my lap but to not offer your seat to a less-abled person (and especially for a short ride) is just plain not nice IMO.

My opinions for what they are worth:

The parade people were rude. If there is space between where they are sitting and the rope, it is open for others to use.

Getting on a full bus and expecting someone to give up a seat because you have children or are female is silly. Being female is not a disability. Children stand on city busses/trains all the time. Somehow they survive. Women carry children on busses/trains all the time and somehow they survive. Pregnancy is also not a disability that would warrant giving up a seat. I would have been insulted if someone jumped to their feet to offer up their seat when I was pregnant - I wasn't sick, I was just fat!

The OP referred to a bus driver's spiel that evidently included giving up seats for women and children. I am not sure what bus he was on but I can say that I have ridden a lot of Disney busses over the years. The only thing I have ever heard the driver's say regarding standees is to move to the back of the bus to make room for more.

If you are not comfortable standing, wait for the next bus. We saw quite a few people doing that on our last trip. They just stand aside and let people pass until the bus is full.

If you are standing with an infant and the infant doesn't smell bad, I would offer to hold the baby for you! I met the cutest little girl that way one bus trip.

So most of us agree that it is the polite/courteous/right thing to give up our seat for the elderly, pregnant woman, or person holding a baby.

I also would give my seat up for a little kid. They are not entitled to it but I do it out of safety. Disney buses haven't had the best record lately. I was on one last December when the driver was horrible. He was taking back roads and a high speed. Everyone was pretty nervous. Several of us were knocked out of our seat on one of the hair pin curves. We also narrowly missed broadsiding another bus and our driver never slowed down.

Now had a small kid been standing and trying to hold onto a hand rail, that kid would've been flying thru the air. He or she might have slammed into one of those people that feel that they're entitled to their seat 'cause they got their first or their big toe hurts.

OK, I asked this above, but nobody answered.

If you or your children need a seat, why don't you ask? If someone says no, they are a jerk, THEN you can complain.

We actually had do just that. It was back in the summer of 08 on a Saratoga bus. We were traveling with our 2 children who at the time were 6 and 6 months and no one offered to give up their seat for me and the baby and so we were going to try and get off but were too far back to do so and my husband finally but nicely asked if anyone would be willing to stand so I could sit. It was kind of funny because it made a lot of people really uncomfortable and you would not believe how many people offered when he did that. Kind of sad that anyone had to be asked when someone is standing there holding a baby.

My opinions for what they are worth:

The parade people were rude. If there is space between where they are sitting and the rope, it is open for others to use.

Getting on a full bus and expecting someone to give up a seat because you have children or are female is silly. Being female is not a disability. Children stand on city busses/trains all the time. Somehow they survive. Women carry children on busses/trains all the time and somehow they survive. Pregnancy is also not a disability that would warrant giving up a seat. I would have been insulted if someone jumped to their feet to offer up their seat when I was pregnant - I wasn't sick, I was just fat!

The OP referred to a bus driver's spiel that evidently included giving up seats for women and children. I am not sure what bus he was on but I can say that I have ridden a lot of Disney busses over the years. The only thing I have ever heard the driver's say regarding standees is to move to the back of the bus to make room for more.

If you are not comfortable standing, wait for the next bus. We saw quite a few people doing that on our last trip. They just stand aside and let people pass until the bus is full.

If you are standing with an infant and the infant doesn't smell bad, I would offer to hold the baby for you! I met the cutest little girl that way one bus trip.

You would offer to hold a stranger's baby before you would get up and let the adult holding the baby sit in your seat? Wow. :confused:

I've been to WDW 10 times now, and ridden many a bus. I am a 44 year old male in good health. Every time I've been on a bus when someone is standing, I've offered my seat up, unless I was holding one of my own children when they were very young. Who do I offer my seat to? Anyone. To me, it's just a decent thing for someone in good health to do. And if it brings a smile to other's faces, all the better.

This whole sense of entitlement is all lost on me, honestly. Who should or shouldn't have a seat...I don't care. I was raised to look out for others, and that's exactly what I try and do. I'll be just fine the next morning if I stand for 15 minutes as I would if I stayed seated. But inside, I wouldn't feel right at all. If people spent more time looking out for others, we'd have a lot of happy people and a lot less complaining.

I agree with your last statement in general. It rubs me wrong too. However, I think you need to look at people's comments within the context of the thread.

IMO, swelling and muscle strain are good enough reasons not to give up your seat to random women and children just because you are male or an adult. I was just diagnosed with arthritis in my right knee. I know that after a day at the parks that knee will be painful and swollen and standing on a bus (bracing for the lateral movements) will make it hurt more than just walking on it. I will still give up my seat for someone who does not appear to be able-bodied: one who is elderly, who boards with a baby or small child, who walks with a cane or anyone who appears to be having difficulty "bus surfing" because I feel sorry for them ... but not for anyone else. It's sink or swim for the able-bodied no matter their age or gender. They made the choice to get on a crowded bus and I still think it is the responsibility of the person boarding the bus to accept there are no seats or wait for the next bus if they require seats. In many ways I think that by giving up seats to people (even if they need it) we are feeding into their expectations that a seat will be there for them if they board a full bus.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter