just back, ettiquete questions

Status
Not open for further replies.
The DIS Dad's Club has an actual "Man Law" to cover this situation:

"No DIS Dad will sit in seat while a woman, child, disabled or elderly person stands on bus... unless there is to many people between you to offer the seat (example: I'm in back and person is in front of bus and 15 people standing in between) or you are holding children."

Like you said, it is common courtesy.

ClearScreen

Really? That's just the cutest, sweetest, most gentlemanly thing I've ever seen. I applaud your actions with your children.

:rotfl2: If you look like Gerard, feel free to do it as much as you want!

I also want to add that as much as I ague the other side, when I can I will offer my seat to someone who appears to need it more than I. I just don't agree with the whole attitude of getting upset when someone doesn't offer you one.

And if it is truly a safety thing for your family, then I do think you should be the one responsible for keeping your family safe. Not just waiting around and hoping that someone else will do it for you.

I with you. DH rarely sits except if his vertigo is bothering him. We plan accordingly and for anyone give dirty looks and comments is uncalled for. Those comments are better off yelling "Taxi" if they need a seat.

It would be much easier if people remember Standing Room Only is just that you get on you stand. To expect anything else is just silly.

If you are lucky enough to get some pixie dust then by all means sit down.

Denise in MI

I suspect everyone on this thread would probably agree that it is kind (or polite, or courteous, etc) to offer your seat to someone who you feel needs it more than you do. I suspect most of us would do just that. But conversely, it is not rude to refrain from giving up your seat. The problem is that you can never tell how much someone actually needs that seat. I assume that if someone thinks I need their seat more than they do, they will offer it to me. I assume that if they don't offer it, they feel they need the seat more than I do. I assume if someone crowds onto a standing-room only bus, they are prepared to stand. I'm not going to assume that one person is rude because he doesn't give me his seat, or that someone else is entitled enough to expect me to give up my seat (if I'm lucky enough to get one) for her. I prefer to assume the best of people in situations like this. It appears from this thread that many people instead choose to assume the worst. I find that sad. :sad1:

I don't think people are slamming children or the elderly. Just wondering why if it is so important that they have a seat, that their own family doesn't take care of it, instead of dumping that responsibility squarely on the lap of total strangers?

Don't care enough about Grandma to rent a car, or grab a taxi, but expect Joe Two-Pack to get out of his seat instead? Shame on you, not on Joe Two-Pack! Take care of your family! Don't expect total strangers to do it for you!

:worship: Perfectly stated! But apparently many people don't want to inconvenience themselves by waiting for another bus or renting a car; they'd rather inconvenience other people instead.

No, Goof. I don't expect people to break though the door :rolleyes:. I know that wtchcheermom said that she thought the driver wouldn't be able to hear her request, but I have see people ask the driver to open the back door on a number of occasions.

Trapped is really not the right word, but once you're at the back of the bus it can be really difficult to get back to the front door, and as mentioned the back door is usually closed once people start to load from the front. You can yell for the driver to let you out, or fight your way back to the door at the front, but it is a hassle. If someone doesn't want to deal with that, though, it's usually pretty easy to drag your feet just outside the front door until you know for sure if seats are available.

we had several bus rides were multiple people were refusing to sit down (or take the last few open seats) because an adult (or teenage) male had given up his seat to a child or woman who wasn't going to sit (finally someone, usually the aforementioned woman or child would sit). My family of 4 only takes up 2 seats. DH generally stands (unless there is no one standing), one child on my lap and another in a seat (they both weigh 60-65lbs so I can't hold both of them). If we only have one seat available, I take it and usually have my oldest on my lap (with DH holding onto the youngest). If we have no seats, then Dh is stuck holding onto both boys (and sometimes me due to my bad hips)

Many people on the Disney bus also walked 6+ miles before boarding the bus; grateful for a chance to rest. A full day at WDW is exhausting!

There's a good idea! If you have a kid, put them on your lap! :cool1:

Seriously! I'm always surprised by the # of people who won't put their kid in their lap in order to offer and add'l seat to someone standing. (Assuming your kid is "lap-able".) Is that a word?! :lmao:

Wow! This thread was just started last night & already 16 pages!

Of course, I have not read all the posts! But as a 50 something, I remember when kids were told to get up for adults. Not the other way around.

Luckily, I look younger than my age. But I do have ailements that you can't see. But even if I didn't, at 50 plus years old, I should be entitled to sit if I want. Yep, I will give up my seat for handicapped, someone obviously older than me or a parent with a baby. Pregnant woman is a maybe. 3 months, probably not. 9months, yes. 6 year old? No way.

People need to take personal responsibility for them selves. Don't want your kid to stand? Leave the park a little earlier, when the buses aren't so crowded. We very rarely stay til closing for just this reason.

But I do have ailements that you can't see. But even if I didn't, at 50 plus years old, I should be entitled to sit if I want. People need to take personal responsibility for them selves. Don't want your kid to stand? Leave the park a little earlier, when the buses aren't so crowded. We very rarely stay til closing for just this reason.

The bold part is what is wrong with this country today! I am sorry but your age does not entitle you to ANYTHING. As for people with "unseen" disabilities you know what you can handle and you know what WDW entails. If you cannot physically handle what comes with it maybe you should stay home. PERSONAL RESPONSIBILITY is exactly what is needed!

I think this thread has run it's course now, so I'm going to close it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter