just back, ettiquete questions

Status
Not open for further replies.
So all the people that say that people are so entitled and thinks everything is about them. The funny thing is the person is then ALSO entitled and thinks everything is about them and that is why they should GET the seat.

So really if everyone wasn't entitled what you should get is everyone standing since everyone is trying to offer seats to everyone else.

Thus you can all think I"m selfish all you want I don't care. I have made up my mind on which other people/situations I am willing to give up my seat in. As I'm sure all of you have also done. Who really cares if people think we are selfish at that point.

I once heard a quote that I think is very true.I don't remember the exact wording but it stated that EVERYONE is selfish. What about the person who gives to charity or stands on the bus you ask? Well then you can bet that the feeling they got from giving away their money/seat was more important to them then the seat was, thus they were still maximizing their own return and are selfish.

I don't see many posters here saying they "expect" anything? I see 2 schools of thought:

1.) First school of thought - It's polite/proper/gentlemanly/courteous/chivalrous (insert word here) to offer your seat to others.
2.) Second school of thought - My comfort comes before anyone elses.

Again - My family subscribes to the first.

Off topic - I'm simply amazed at the # of hidden disabilities for posters on here that (since they're not on ECV's) they can still walk the parks for HOURS daily - but the ten minute drive home they "need" a seat or else they risk further injury.

I have a close family member that is handicapped. There's no "nice" way to put this, but I'll say it any way... "swollen knee" doesn't really rank way up high on my "disability" list when you walked WDW for hours daily. Spend a day with a stroke survivor or a parapalegic...and then see if you still consider your swelling or tendonitis "disabled."

I'm out...:rolleyes1

If a person is disabled then they are disabled, invisible or not. We don't need to get into my disability is worse than your disability issue. If a person choose to get on a SRO bus then they should expect to stand. Given I have in the past and will continue to travel with several disabled family members. I plan ahead and know their limitations. If that involves not standing on a bus I wait or use another form of transportation. I do not expect others to be responsible for things I should be prepared for.

If you and your family members choose to stand for others good for you, but you should not expect others to make the same choice.

Denise in MI

I'm so amazed at the # of posts on here that say things like "Tough for you (elderly/kids/etc)... you don't get my seat I need it just as much as you!" and "you want a seat... wait for another bus!"

YET - so many of these posters have siggy's with things like "Spread the pixie dust!" in their signature lines...

I suppose the pixie dust spreading only applies with it's being thrown in YOUR direction hunh?!

:confused3:rolleyes1
I have looked and I haven't been able to find any posts with that attitude..not one.
I will say that my father looks pretty healthy. And he will jump up and give his seat to just about anyone he thinks may need it. BUT..he has an inner ear issue. Even when just walking around, he tends to fall over when making a left turn..it's really funny to watch the people that think he's drunk at 8am. The thought of him, standing on a moving bus, scares the bejeebers out of me. Same thing for my dh before he had his knee surgery. He could walk okay, but to stand on a moving bus, with the swaying, well....he became a projectile object one time. And at 6'4", he is not something you want to see coming at you!!! No one is comparing an inner ear issue or bad knees to stroke victims or paraplegics. But, truly,.there are plenty of issues that people may have, that are hard to see, that prevent them from standing on a moving bus.

There is way too much 'well, they should have gotten up for me' going on here. If you are going to need a seat on the bus, then perhaps you may be better off renting a car. I can never figure out how those parents do it..with those huge double strollers, the huge bags with a days worth of supplies in them, a few kids under the age of 7..all trying to get on the bus, and then find a seat. I love the people that think their stroller needs to be up and out of the way, so they put it on a seat. Or the parents who allow their child to stand up on the seat, but hold onto his shirt, when the bus is SRO. Really?? Do they think that's safer than the child being on their lap, or on the floor of the bus, standing between their legs??

I have seen an elderly couple, both in ECVs, waiting at the bus stop at MK. They had already waited as two buses came and went to their resort. Both those buses had issues with their lifts, so couldn't take either one of the ECV bound guests. The next bus that came along could only take one of them....the second tie down system was broken. That poor couple waited close to an hour before being able to board a bus back to their resort.
Believe me...being seated on an ECV isn't all that terrific.

Everyone needs to decide what is going to work for their family, and then plan accordingly. If you feel that you and your children are safest only when seated, then you may want to rent a car. Don't mind standing, then the buses will work for you. You just can not depend on others to do what you expect them to do in the name of proper etiquette. You leave yourself open for major disappointments that way.

I've been to WDW 10 times now, and ridden many a bus. I am a 44 year old male in good health. Every time I've been on a bus when someone is standing, I've offered my seat up, unless I was holding one of my own children when they were very young. Who do I offer my seat to? Anyone. To me, it's just a decent thing for someone in good health to do. And if it brings a smile to other's faces, all the better.

This whole sense of entitlement is all lost on me, honestly. Who should or shouldn't have a seat...I don't care. I was raised to look out for others, and that's exactly what I try and do. I'll be just fine the next morning if I stand for 15 minutes as I would if I stayed seated. But inside, I wouldn't feel right at all. If people spent more time looking out for others, we'd have a lot of happy people and a lot less complaining.

I hope to raise my son to feel just like you!! That is how I was raised and it is just what I expect and feel is right. Of course, right now I'm the mom of a young child so am on the receiving end but up until recently I would offer my seat and will do so again in the near future.

So all the people that say that people are so entitled and thinks everything is about them. The funny thing is the person is then ALSO entitled and thinks everything is about them and that is why they should GET the seat.

So really if everyone wasn't entitled what you should get is everyone standing since everyone is trying to offer seats to everyone else.

Thus you can all think I"m selfish all you want I don't care. I have made up my mind on which other people/situations I am willing to give up my seat in. As I'm sure all of you have also done. Who really cares if people think we are selfish at that point.

I once heard a quote that I think is very true.I don't remember the exact wording but it stated that EVERYONE is selfish. What about the person who gives to charity or stands on the bus you ask? Well then you can bet that the feeling they got from giving away their money/seat was more important to them then the seat was, thus they were still maximizing their own return and are selfish.

Sorry but needing to sit while holding a baby is not a sense of entitlement but an actual safety issue and I cannot believe that is even allowed.

A small child maybe say 6 or 7 and under cannot safely stand and hold on to the bus while in motion. Believe me we tried one day and with the short stops and quick starts my child was thrown about. Yes, in the most ideal situation and a smooth ride it may be possible but this wasn't our general experience on the buses. Even to the extreme that one day an adult man holding a stroller and standing was thrown into my sister who has a huge, severe bruise and softball size knot on her knee from it. It was a near miss accident but just imagine if it was a child standing and not an adult who caught himself.

My experience is rather different. I was more than capable of standing on my own on an articulated bus when I was ~6, even when near the joint. As others said in this thread, children's center of gravity is lower so they actually don't get tossed as much. Also kinda further, they're children, they can withstand a bit more tumbling [in general, there are obviously exceptions, which is why an at-glance appraisal isn't appropiate].

So most of us agree that it is the polite/courteous/right thing to give up our seat for the elderly, pregnant woman, or person holding a baby.

I also would give my seat up for a little kid. They are not entitled to it but I do it out of safety. Disney buses haven't had the best record lately. I was on one last December when the driver was horrible. He was taking back roads and a high speed. Everyone was pretty nervous. Several of us were knocked out of our seat on one of the hair pin curves. We also narrowly missed broadsiding another bus and our driver never slowed down.

Now had a small kid been standing and trying to hold onto a hand rail, that kid would've been flying thru the air. He or she might have slammed into one of those people that feel that they're entitled to their seat 'cause they got their first or their big toe hurts.

So just because you can't see the disability, you equate it to "my big toe hurts"? That seems a bit harsh.

Perhaps look at it another way.......
If I know my families needs(disabilities) and PLAN for them by not getting on a standing only bus wouldn't that make me a "good" parent by your standards? I have made sure my child does not become one of those flying missiles you are concerned about.

But looking at what you wrote I would still be in the wrong:confused3

There are also many times when you board a bus you can't tell how many seats are available. Think about instances where a bus stops at other resorts before yours or when you get there and see only a few boarding but obviously there were more before that who are already seated. Realistically, asking or expecting an elderly person or a young child or person holding a young child to just get off the bus (especially if juggling bags or strollers) is just plain rude if all it takes is for an ABLE-BODIED person to stand up and offer a seat for the ride.

Yes I agree with the OP and would expect someone to offer my young children a seat (with the only exception being if I shoved myself and family onto a knowingly packed, standing room only bus). Myself, I don't care and will stand or sit with the children on my lap but to not offer your seat to a less-abled person (and especially for a short ride) is just plain not nice IMO.

In response to the bolded, why is it rude? Regardless, there's an easier option than getting off the bus - just don't get on to begin with if there are not seats available. Stop at the door and ask the driver if there are still open seats before you go up the steps.

But if for some reason you don't want to ask the driver, can't you look through the windows of the bus as it pulls up to see if there are already people on there? That's what we do. We've also watched people load onto the buses often enough that we can judge pretty closely whether there will be seats left or not. Sometimes we're wrong and we have to stand when we'd rather not. If it was going to be a huge problem if we didn't get seats, we'd wait for the next bus if we thought it was going to be iffy as to whether we'd be sitting or standing. After the first time or two on the buses (when you might not know seating could be a problem) why wouldn't these be reasonable options?

Sorry but needing to sit while holding a baby is not a sense of entitlement but an actual safety issue and I cannot believe that is even allowed.

But if a parent feels that standing on the bus is unsafe, then they have the option of not riding on a standing-room only bus. They certainly shouldn't intentionally put their child into a situation they feel to be dangerous! Nor should they expect someone else to step in to protect the child by giving up their seat if the parent does choose to put the child into that situation. Getting caught at the back of a crowded bus one time is understandable and would be difficult. If it happens again after that first time, it's because of poor planning on the parent's part.

but if it wasn't allowed what would Disney do about it? I doubt Disney would start making people who have already sat give up seats so there are two options they would either mark a section for the parents with babies, or just like when two ECVs are already on the bus they would just have to wait until the next bus, which they could do now anyway.

Right or wrong they still feel entitled to that seat.

Personally I would give mine up as parents with babies is on my list of people i'd give seats to. But if it isn't on someone elses that is there call to make and I don't think I get to call them a bad person for that.

As a parent, it's my job to teach my children to be polite and gracious. I have arthritis and other knee issues and sometimes I'm just about done by the time I get to the bus, but if I see someone who needs a seat more than me I will give up my seat, regardless of who that someone may be, their age, gender, etc. My kids will give up their places first starting with my 16 yr old boy. I believe he would be offer his seat to just about anyone other than another boy without having to be told, my daughter I would have to ask her to give her seat to someone and she would roll her eyes at me (she's 12 - need a say more) but she would stand as well. As I see it, yes some people's behavior annoys me, however the only behavior I have control over is my own and to some extent my children's behavior. I don't have time to be concerned about how other people view giving up their seats on a bus. Some of these people may have disabilities that I can't see.

OK, I asked this above, but nobody answered.

If you or your children need a seat, why don't you ask? If someone says no, they are a jerk, THEN you can complain.

Nope the jerk would be the parent that did not plan for their childs needs. If I need to sit I need to sit. You have not right to judge someone elses needs. If the child need to sit he can sit on the parents feet. My child my responsibility. Your child your responsibility. If I was going to give up my seat it would have been before someone asked. So asking would make no difference.

I do try to spread pixie dust when I can, but it would not be for some who feels entitled to it and giving dirty looks.

Denise in MI

So just because you can't see the disability, you equate it to "my big toe hurts"? That seems a bit harsh.

never equated a disability (seen or unseen) with "my big toe hurts". If someone is disabled as in something to do with them being able to stand then they are not apart of the equation of whether they should give up their seat.

My DH is 60% disabled in the eyes of the air force after serving for 22 years. Part of his retirement pay is disability pay. But he can stand and he does stand. Why? Because he's an officer AND a gentleman. ;)

Nope the jerk would be the parent that did not plan for their childs needs. If I need to sit I need to sit. You have not right to judge someone elses needs. If the child need to sit he can sit on the parents feet. My child my responsibility. Your child your responsibility. If I was going to give up my seat it would have been before someone asked. So asking would make no difference.

I do try to spread pixie dust when I can, but it would not be for some who feels entitled to it and giving dirty looks.

Denise in MI

Sitting on your parent's feet on a bus sounds very, very unsafe.

In response to the bolded, why is it rude? Regardless, there's an easier option than getting off the bus - just don't get on to begin with if there are not seats available. Stop at the door and ask the driver if there are still open seats before you go up the steps.

But if for some reason you don't want to ask the driver, can't you look through the windows of the bus as it pulls up to see if there are already people on there? That's what we do. We've also watched people load onto the buses often enough that we can judge pretty closely whether there will be seats left or not. Sometimes we're wrong and we have to stand when we'd rather not. If it was going to be a huge problem if we didn't get seats, we'd wait for the next bus if we thought it was going to be iffy as to whether we'd be sitting or standing. After the first time or two on the buses (when you might not know seating could be a problem) why wouldn't these be reasonable options?

But if a parent feels that standing on the bus is unsafe, then they have the option of not riding on a standing-room only bus. They certainly shouldn't intentionally put their child into a situation they feel to be dangerous! Nor should they expect someone else to step in to protect the child by giving up their seat if the parent does choose to put the child into that situation. Getting caught at the back of a crowded bus one time is understandable and would be difficult. If it happens again after that first time, it's because of poor planning on the parent's part.

Sometimes you do not know the bus is full. In my pp I talked about a time when my husband asked if someone would mind standing so I could sit with the baby and it was not that we were intentionally trying to cause an inconvenience for others but was told by bus the driver to get on that there were sits in the back. That was not the case and we got stuck back there and could not get off. On that trip we were trying to wait for less crowed buses because of the baby and having to travel with his stroller because he was too little to use a Disney one.

So for all of you who feel that a kid should stand at what age to you think it is OK? :confused3 I mean do you think it is OK and safe for my 2 year old to stand or for me to stand holding him? When we are on crowded buses I always put my son on my lap and my husband and daughter (who is 8) give up their seat. Oh and having stayed at SOG the poster who posted about the courtesy on their buses was completely right. Boy talk about a me me attitude some have!!!

It is not for us to decide what is safe for your two year old. That's your job. If you decide it is unsafe for him to be on a standing room only bus, you should wait for the next bus.

You as an adult are in charge of the bus situation. If you or your family can not stand on a bus then rent a car or wait for another bus that has empty seats. Don't set yourself up for disappointment by assuming some stranger is going to come to your rescue and give up their seats. I never have gotten on a bus expecting preferential treatment from others. I've had to stand on the bus with my children before and I have even driven to parks before to avoid the bus when my children used strollers. I'm older now and my knees give me much pain after a day in the parks, and if I'm lucky enough to get a seat I will not be giving it up.

Don't be a bus victim, you ultimately are in control of this situation don't be blaming others for the situation you put yourself and your family in. Just common sense to make a plan that keeps you in control.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter