just back, ettiquete questions

Status
Not open for further replies.
1.) wife asked a couple sitting on a planter wall (in Liberty Square just down from the Hall of Presidents) if they were saving the spots in front of them for anyone for the upcoming parade, the man (with an attitude!) explained that they would put up post and rope to mark parade route and no one would be allowed to sit there. she of course knew he was wrong,

I would like some clarification on this. Was there no rope there because there never is, or because of the time of year? We go in late June/early July, and we sit at a certain spot because we know there will be a rope in front of us.

If I knew there wasn't going to be a rope put where this couple thought, I would made sure they knew that and advise them to move up. And then I'd find somewhere else to sit.

#1 I would go with they either had no clue or were rude.

#2 I would say you were wrong. Do not get on a crowded bus expecting a seat. When you got on with standing room only expect to stand. When the kids were younger we would just wait for the next bus. We never got on a bus if we needed a seat knowing there are none and exected others to get up for us. We also know there are many people with invisible disabilities so I would not judge anyone for not giving up a seat.

Denise in MI

I don't think the folks on the planter did anything wrong. Maybe the man really thought the rope barrier would be placed in the spot he mentioned. I would ignore the gesturing, some people just can't "let go" of things as easily as others. Maybe they were having a bad day, who knows.

We've ridden WDW busses many times and rarely had anyone offer up their seat for my kids (9 and 6 now). Honestly, I offer up my seat to the elderly, pregnant women, or anyone with a baby in their arms. Otherwise, I stay seated. I also encourage my 9 yo to give up his seat for those mentioned. The bus rides trips are relatively short and everyones legs are throbbing.

My husband always gives up his seat for a woman, child, or elderly person. It has nothing to do with equality IMO. It has to do with common courtesy. When my son is old enough to do so, he'll be expected to follow his father's example. We have ridden Disney buses at some of the most crowded times of the year, and no one in my family would sit if someone else needed our seat more than we did.
This is one of the reasons I avoid buses at all costs. We love to stay at WL, and we use the boats as often as we can. We usually take the boat to CR and transfer to the monorail when traveling to Epcot. It's much easier than taking the bus to FW and waiting for it to load up there and THEN go on to Epcot.

I will never forget my poor DH holding my sleeping 4 year old DD (from MK to AKL) and not one person offered him a seat. It was truly unbelievable to me.

I will never put us in that position again and I think I'll stick to rental cars only.

We are staying on the monorail this trip and will take our car to the other places. I hope to avoid this situation completely! :)

But you know what? The best part of our vacation is sometimes knowing that we made someone else's day, by showing respect and going out of our way to make their day a little brighter. But that's just us.

It's not just you, and thank God for that. :thumbsup2

while I like most of your post., the bolded part would be a nightmare! none of use would get back to our resorts until 3 AM! if you are against standing on a bus at all, you should look into driving yourself. (growing up in Chicago, we learned early about standing on buses and Els)

you can think what you want and compare heel spurs to a crushed foot.l but my husband is NOT rude. just disabled.

best post yet. I LOVE children, my own grandchildren most of all. but having children with you does not mean special treatment. It would be logistically impossible!:confused3 75% of the familoies have kids!
also, if we stake out a spot for illuminations 45 minutes ahead of time, we should give it up to the family who shows up 5 minutes to 9, just because they have kids? (one of them could have staked out the spot, while the other took the kids for ice cream )
even so, we do let the little kids in front of us, but then... the parents say "we want to go in front of you too, we want to be right behind our children"
what's next? everytime there is someone in line for a ride behind us, if they have children, we should let them in front of us, cause the kids are tired or cranky? or , waiting for a table in a restaurant.. "can't you see our children are tired? it's just you 2 adults.. you should let us ahead of you"

actually, we should just wait at the bus stop until ALL the families with children have gotten on the bus. the kids are tired and sleeping. those families without children should have a separate line, and get transported to the resort last?

sigh! don't mean to get "snarky"... just sayin'... if you don't think your children can stand on the bus, rent a car, or wait for the next bus.

maybe a nice couple (like us) will let you sit (even though hubby's foot is SCREAMING) so your 30 something wife can sit, or maybe we will decide to sit for once. if we do, you have no right to "look daggers" at us.

:thumbsup2

I always go with my 2 DD's, last trip they were 5&7 and I would never expect anyone to give up their seat. In fact while we are getting on a bus I look for places to stand where they can hold on to something. Worst case scenario I would tell them to sit on the floor if there was nothing to hold on to. Before you flame me I know the floor is dirty but so is everywhere else they have decided to sit during the day and their clothes can be washed

I haven't read all the comments, but I thought I'd just give my thoughts.

With reference to the parade situation, I don't really have much to say. I don't understand why anyone would comment that way. We don't usually wait for a parade. If we did, it's usually after the ropes are up and we stand behind people.

As for the bus situation, I do believe that everyone has different opinions. My husband rarely sits when there is a line. We've been on the front of the line many times. We walk to the back and I sit with my two children and my husband stands. I will give up my seat for others when possible. I put my daughter on my son's lap and offer my seat. We always seem to be watching out for other children mostly because we have children ourselves and although they are capable of standing and holding on, when the bus is dark at the night, it's sometimes difficult for them to watch where they stand or lean. I don't believe that everyone should get up and offer their seats, I think it's up to them. I have seen many people not get up to offer seats to children, people carrying babies, etc and I don't think badly of them. My husband isn't old fashioned at all, he just doesn't bother sitting down if he knows there's a lot of people boarding the bus. And the only reason why I offer my seat is because I want to, not because I have to. And the great thing about that is that I never have to ask my son to offer his seat, he just does it. He's been doing it since he was 7. I am not boasting or preaching. We just do it. I think it's up to everyone. :)

Although, I will admit, that many times that I or others have offered my seat, it seemed to get others to do it. I think sometimes people just don't think about it.

I will never forget my poor DH holding my sleeping 4 year old DD (from MK to AKL) and not one person offered him a seat. It was truly unbelievable to me.

I will never put us in that position again and I think I'll stick to rental cars only.

Then you should have waited for the next bus. It was your choice that put them in that situation not the other bus occupants.

Denise in MI

As for your first situation, I agree with everyone else. As long as you were in the roped off area you have every right to sit there.

As far as the bus situation, I am ashamed to live in a land where people wouldn't give up their seats to small children. A four year old is too small to have to stand for a bus ride, especially when they can't reach the hand rails. When we take the bus, and it has people standing, my husband and I always yield our seats to anyone who needs them more than us and make our twins share a seat. And because we have come accustomed to the rudeness of people we will wait for a bus to ensure that our children get at least one seat, since our son has mild cerebral palsy and can't stand for his balance issues.

But you know what? The best part of our vacation is sometimes knowing that we made someone else's day, by showing respect and going out of our way to make their day a little brighter. But that's just us.

Why does everyone think that these little children have to hold on to the rails on the bus? When my boys (6 and 3) stand on a bus, or a shuttle train at the airport or the monorail, I have them hold onto ME and I help support them.

And yes, any kid over the age of 4 should be able to balance themselves on a moving bus, just like a grown-up. Plus, why should kids have the seats? They already feel entitled to EVERYTHING. I think it teaches my kiddos a good lesson each and every time we get on a Disney bus or a city bus...that they are just like eveyone else and they have to learn to be patient, and deal with crowds of people etc...

And speaking of the monorail... how come I never hear about people not giving up seats on the monrail ... etc etc? I never hear people complaining about the monorail.... maybe Disney should do what Walt wanted in the first place which is for the WHOLE of WDW to be serviced by many different monorail lines and then we wouldn't have this problem!

First, these bus threads never end well....:sad2:

Second, this is why we drive to all the parks now. Too much end-of-the-evening bus drama.

Do I think the people were right? No. No way.

BUT others have a different view of what is right or wrong. You have to blow it off and not let it bug you on vacation. Unfortunately you are at a place where EVERYONE thinks they deserve to sit after a long day in the parks or those that can claim non-visible disabilities (fibromyalgia, hip, knee trouble, etc). You can't win.
You are only reinforcing my bus fears for our trip!

Unless you have these non-visible disabilities you should not complain about them, they are very painful and people like me have to deal with them on a daily basis, not only do you have fibromyalgia but there are usually more damaging disiblities to go with it, such as Cripling Rheumatoid Arthritis which I have as well and others, etc.... but we want to be able to enjoy ourself just like you do, while we still can.

Here are my feelings towards the bus situation--

After a long day full of strenuous walking, the last thing I want to do is be standing on a crowded bus. I am 20 years old and I have had Rheumatoid Arthritis for about 8 years now. From the outside I appear normal, no physical deformities that show my illness. But after a day of walking around the parks my body sure has taken a beating. I have been on the buses several times when it has been crowded, with young children standing. I never would give my seat up to an able-bodied child that is fully capable of standing on the bus for a 10 minute ride. If someone is pregnant or if an elderly person is standing, I would give up my seat, but not for a small child. They don't NEED to sit. If the parents are concerned about their child's safety when there are no seats available, they should get off the bus and wait for the next one. I think it is rude for someone to think their able-bodied child is entitled to take the seat of someone that may be suffering from physical ailments. Just my opinion.

I feel your pain, I know how hard it is to deal with this.

I feel that if you get on a bus and it is full then you either have to stand or wait for another bus, as far as childern go I feel that they can stand just as good as everybody else, as far as being a woman expecting to be given a seat is wrong. I am a woman and even with sever cripling Rheumatoid Arthritis I do not expect for someone to give up their seat for me. I know that I will possibly have to stand on a bus when I go to WDW.
As far as a man having to give up his seat to a woman because they are a woman is wrong. My husband has had a massive heart attack on a fire scene (he was a firefighter, he has since retired) and has had many surgeries since his heart attack and he feels some times that he should give his seat to a woman and I will not let him, we have had women get on a bus we were riding at GF and give him looks of disgust and start making rude comments because he would not give one of them his seat,( he was not feeling well that day) they seemed to think that they deserved to have the seat given to them because they were women. Wrong. I let them know that he was not giving them his seat and that they should stop looking at him with harse looks.
If you are going to WDW then you should expect to have to stand at some point on a bus. And Do Not Expect for someone that has been in the parks all day just like you to just give you their seat, they are just as tired as you are.

:thumbsup2

I always go with my 2 DD's, last trip they were 5&7 and I would never expect anyone to give up their seat. In fact while we are getting on a bus I look for places to stand where they can hold on to something. Worst case scenario I would tell them to sit on the floor if there was nothing to hold on to. Before you flame me I know the floor is dirty but so is everywhere else they have decided to sit during the day and their clothes can be washed

My DD would sit on our feet if we chose to ride a SRO bus. Talk about tired feet at the end of the day. :rolleyes1 Never would I have thought twice about someone else not giving up a seat. My children my responsibility.

Denise in MI

I am surprised that the bus driver left with a standing parent holding a child. I have been on Disney buses where it was strictly enforced that no one could be standing up holding a child. In one case, the driver had to cajole people to vacate their seats.

The bus situation is a highly charged one, as the replies here and on other threads have indicated. It's up to everyone to police themselves as to whether they "need" to sit on the bus, and to whom they are willing to give up their seats. My only suggestion is to be considerate of anyone who looks like they could use the seat more than you, and don't be insulted if you look that way to someone else.

My husband has a disability and needs a seat on the bus or monorail. He may look like an able-bodied 30 year old but he's not. I have stood many times and he has sat and he has received many "dirty" looks from others. Parents, if your child has to stand and hold on to the rails PLEASE tell them not to put their mouths on the rails (any handrails). I have seen so many children practically licking the handrails on the buses, monorails and in line for rides. I teach my son to keep his hands in this pockets and we use hand sanitizer constantly. I have had a child at WDW with the stomach virus and believe me this is one way its spread and noone wants a sick child on vacation. If my child has to stand on the bus or monorail I hold onto him and I don't let him touch anything.

I, as a man, would not insult a woman with no impairment by offering her my seat, thus implying that she's somehow weaker than me.

Neither I nor any woman I know has ever been insulted when a gentleman offered his seat (I usually politely decline - I'd rather the courteous guy give the seat to someone older than me who may need it more). My DH, Dad and FIL always offer their seats to women of any age, whether pregnant, holding a baby or just standing there -I think the bra-burning days are behind us and 9 ot of 10 women would be very appreciative of the gesture.

:sunny:

I don't feel that anyone should have to give up a seat to anyone else on a bus. The person who got on the bus first, probably stood in line longer, and if there aren't seats on the bus, then those who don't want to stand can just wait for the next bus.

That being said, I must be very lucky b/c pretty much every bus I've been on is filled with people who are offerring their seats to each other. Sometimes it's even comical b/c everyone is jumping up to offer seats which results in so many people standing that their ends up being and empty seat or 2!

I was standing holding my 6 month old, and an older man who was holding a 2or 3 year old (grandson maybe) jumped up to give me his seat. I declined and said that he was was holding a child too! He said, "yeah but yours is younger" and I said "yeah but yours is heavier!" He refused to sit back down, so I finally sat and we all just laughed about it. Very nice guy!

As a mother, it's my responsibility to safely get my sons to the parks. We do not get on SRO buses and expect other to bail us out for our choice. We let people go past us onto the bus and wait for the next bus.

:)

:cheer2: If everyone shared your idea of parental responsibility, we wouldn't be having this discussion every month.

I don't understand why so many think they are entitled to a seat someone else has waited longer for. Wait for the next bus if you need your seat. It's your choice to get on a SRO bus--no one owes you a seat if you choose to do so.

I am a very considerate person, but when one does not take personal responsibility, it is not rude if someone else does not "cover" for them.

We don't typically offer our seats and we also don't feel entitled to anyone's seat. It's "public" transportation - first come, first serve. We have often waited for the next bus in order to ensure that we do get a seat, an option that is available to every guest. We don't expect anyone else who waited in the same line as us to give up their seats. Bottom line for us that we are not entitled to someone elses seat and vica versa. If someone wants a guaranteed seat, then they need to be mature enough to have the patience to wait a few minutes more for the next bus.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter