just back, ettiquete questions

Status
Not open for further replies.
As for people saying there hurt, I've been hurting with heel spurs on one trip and I still gave up my seat when someone needed it or there was a child that needed it. If you don't know how bad heel spurs are it like someone is cutting into you heel from the inside with razor blades. I have no remorse thinking a guy is rude for not giving up his seat to a woman with a child, the elderly or a child.

I know heel spurs are painful, had a friend with them. ever have 200 pound steel drill head CRUSH your foot? have inches of bone turned into basically dust?
even so, 90% of the time, my hubby doesn't sit on a bus. and I don't either, becuase he feels like a fool if he sits and I don't ( a man thing).
but, if occasionally it is just too much, and we get a seat where I can put him on the inside (so he doesn't feel like he has to jump up... as he usually does, even if it's an able-bodied woman) I will avoid eye contact and let his foot get the rest it needs. could he rent an evc? sure. he doesnt.
just saying that not everyone sitting is being "rude".

and, again.. if you want to be assured of seats, you can always wait for the next bus. and those people who dowait for the next bus(not saying that's what we do) should not be then expected to give up their seats anyway.
I'm a grandma. I have often held other's children on my lap. but is the 28 year old girl with the child more deserving of the seat ?, just because we travel to Disney without kids? or the parents who let a 2 year old have their own seat becuase he won't sit on their lap? or take up a seat for the backpack ?
if people give up a seat for you, that's great! (which we usually do) but do not expect to get on a crowded bus and be assured a seat. when I go with my grandson, I will most likely wait for the next bus, so I won't have to stand with him.

I think it all comes back to taking care of your own. I don't have children, but I do have an elderly mother who often goes to Disney with me. She has balance issues that make standing on a moving bus a big no-no. I don't expect anyone to give up a seat for her - I feel it's my responsibility to secure her a seat. That may mean waititng for another bus, or it may mean taking the car instead of Disney transportation. But it's MY responsibility, not that of the other guests, to see that my mom is acccommodated the way she needs to be.

I'm not saying that it's safe for small children to stand. I'm not saying it's safe for adults to stand and hold on to strollers and children and not have a hand left to hold on themselves. Personally, given the liability and potential media scrutiny, I don't think they should run Disney buses with guests standing period (yes, I know city buses do that, but they don't have the world watching them like Disney does). I'm not saying that I wouldn't give up my seat if I saw someone in need. I am saying that no one should EXPECT anyone to give up their seat unless specifically directed by a CM, because it's not their responsibility to see that you are accommodated.

I think it all comes back to taking care of your own. I don't have children, but I do have an elderly mother who often goes to Disney with me. She has balance issues that make standing on a moving bus a big no-no. I don't expect anyone to give up a seat for her - I feel it's my responsibility to secure her a seat. That may mean waititng for another bus, or it may mean taking the car instead of Disney transportation. But it's MY responsibility, not that of the other guests, to see that my mom is acccommodated the way she needs to be.

I'm not saying that it's safe for small children to stand. I'm not saying it's safe for adults to stand and hold on to strollers and children and not have a hand left to hold on themselves. Personally, given the liability and potential media scrutiny, I don't think they should run Disney buses with guests standing period (yes, I know city buses do that, but they don't have the world watching them like Disney does). I'm not saying that I wouldn't give up my seat if I saw someone in need. I am saying that no one should EXPECT anyone to give up their seat unless specifically directed by a CM, because it's not their responsibility to see that you are accommodated.

while I like most of your post., the bolded part would be a nightmare! none of use would get back to our resorts until 3 AM! if you are against standing on a bus at all, you should look into driving yourself. (growing up in Chicago, we learned early about standing on buses and Els)

. I have no remorse thinking a guy is rude for not giving up his seat to a woman with a child, the elderly or a child.

you can think what you want and compare heel spurs to a crushed foot.l but my husband is NOT rude. just disabled.

Maby having a child should become a disability and fall under the ADA rules. :rotfl2:

best post yet. I LOVE children, my own grandchildren most of all. but having children with you does not mean special treatment. It would be logistically impossible!:confused3 75% of the familoies have kids!
also, if we stake out a spot for illuminations 45 minutes ahead of time, we should give it up to the family who shows up 5 minutes to 9, just because they have kids? (one of them could have staked out the spot, while the other took the kids for ice cream )
even so, we do let the little kids in front of us, but then... the parents say "we want to go in front of you too, we want to be right behind our children"
what's next? everytime there is someone in line for a ride behind us, if they have children, we should let them in front of us, cause the kids are tired or cranky? or , waiting for a table in a restaurant.. "can't you see our children are tired? it's just you 2 adults.. you should let us ahead of you"

actually, we should just wait at the bus stop until ALL the families with children have gotten on the bus. the kids are tired and sleeping. those families without children should have a separate line, and get transported to the resort last?

sigh! don't mean to get "snarky"... just sayin'... if you don't think your children can stand on the bus, rent a car, or wait for the next bus.

maybe a nice couple (like us) will let you sit (even though hubby's foot is SCREAMING) so your 30 something wife can sit, or maybe we will decide to sit for once. if we do, you have no right to "look daggers" at us.

I will give my seat to anyone who appears to need it, as well as any younger children.

I gave up my seat on a SUPER crowded post-Wishes but to a 8/9 year old girl who then decided to stand up the whole way back in front of the seat anyway so no-one could use it. :headache:

I will give my seat to anyone who appears to need it, as well as any younger children.

I gave up my seat on a SUPER crowded post-Wishes but to a 8/9 year old girl who then decided to stand up the whole way back in front of the seat anyway so no-one could use it. :headache:

I give up my seat for "little" children. any 8 year old who can't balance on a moving bus needs to step away from the x-box and get on the playground more often. but bless you anyways.

Wow, i have to say I am really shocked about the replies about small kids. I have 3 kids.. almost 6 years old, just turned 4 years old and a 2 year old. I do not in any way expect special treatment because I have kids and I wouldn't get on a bus expecting that. I also wouldn't get on a bus I didn't think I could fit all of us and our stuff (sigh).... but if in a situation where my 3 kids would have to stand on a bus, i would hope someone (able bodied person) would offer them a seat to sit in because I know they would not be able to balance themselves on the bus. I would give my seat up to anyone that seemed they needed it, man, woman, child, elderly.. anyone. I would not hesitate to offer my seat to a small child.

But, hey my 4 year old gets car sick pretty quick.. i will just point and aim :rotfl:

I understand the OP's frustration. I work retail and see rude behavior all the time.

As for the bus situation, there are people who will "do the right thing." Unfortunately, they seem to be fewer and fewer. I, for one, will always offer my seat to a child or an elderly person. But I would never expect anyone to give me their seat simply because I'm a woman. I can stand for twenty more minutes.

I see behavior like this everytime I tour WDW. Luckily my mother instilled some manners into me. I always offer a seat to an elder, woman (regardless of age). If I cannot I at least double up my kids onto our laps to free up a seat. The buses at park close are the worst and a couple years we actually just started taking a taxi to avoid it. Why ruin your trip over how people act? I see as bad manners waiting in lines.

The parade "stalking" is as worse due to people who are ultra planners and feel they need a certain spot they read about. There is adequate spots to see the parades so we just find the least crowded (try frontier land). Main Street is the worst as I think most people want to rush out after it ends to "beat the rush".

Sadly we live in a "It's all about me" society now and manners don't mean what they used to.

As for your first situation, I agree with everyone else. As long as you were in the roped off area you have every right to sit there.

As far as the bus situation, I am ashamed to live in a land where people wouldn't give up their seats to small children. A four year old is too small to have to stand for a bus ride, especially when they can't reach the hand rails. When we take the bus, and it has people standing, my husband and I always yield our seats to anyone who needs them more than us and make our twins share a seat. And because we have come accustomed to the rudeness of people we will wait for a bus to ensure that our children get at least one seat, since our son has mild cerebral palsy and can't stand for his balance issues.

But you know what? The best part of our vacation is sometimes knowing that we made someone else's day, by showing respect and going out of our way to make their day a little brighter. But that's just us.

I give up my seat for "little" children. any 8 year old who can't balance on a moving bus needs to step away from the x-box and get on the playground more often. but bless you anyways.

I originally was not going to comment on this thread but your post came across as someone who was just not thinking when you posted it ;)

Learning to balance yourself on a moving bus, changing speeds, making turns, slow stops, sudden stops, etc - takes a skill only learned by RIDING a bus frequently.

And some kids do not even ride a bus! :scared1: Lets see... my youngest (6 years) has only been a bus a handful of times - school trips where they are required to sit. One car family - the kids & I walk everywhere. School, library, grocery store, downtown, bank.

Although I do agree that too many kids are playing video games more and more these days instead of playing outside. But I think that has more to do with parents being scared to let their 8 year olds outside without an adult.

Having said that - I admit that while my kids are allowed to play out front with the neighbourhood kids, I do not yet allow them to walk to the closest park by themselves either.

I have been offered a seat on SRO buses almost every single time I have boarded one. And I have never taken the seat. I'm over 60 but more than capable of standing up.
As for young children, they really should be able to stand on a bus if there are no seats available. My 5 y/o dd was perfectly capable of standing on the moving bus..she found something to hold onto. I am not going to depend on someone else's kindness...if I don't want to stand, then I'll wait for the next bus. You can NOT expect anyone to get up and give up their seat. You have no way of knowing if someone really needs that seat..there are many things that may not be obvious to the eye that would require a person to be seated, while looking able bodied. I'm just not going down that road. It is way too easy to have expectations about what others 'should' do, and then be severely disappointed when those people don't meet your expectations. This is one of the reasons I tell people to wait until their kids are at least 4, but closer to 5, to head to WDW. For me, it's just too great a hassle with really little kids...strollers, finding seats, frequent stops and meltdowns. But, that's just me..everyone has to make their own choices.

The parade issue?? Don't get me started on that one. I have had too many rude encounters with people along parade routes. I no longer stop and watch..unless it's late at night and there is a decent spot without a ton of people. I have had people shove in front of us to grab something a CM was handing my dd, I have had people show up at the last minute, take a spot that the CMs had previously moved people from and commence to stand in front of me, eating their dinner under my nose, I have had 'non-English speaking' people try to shove in front of us after a CM asked my dh to be the 'pole' that stops people from standing there.
There is no end to rudeness at the parades. Everyone feels that their family is 'special' and that their kids should be able to have the 'perfect' spot...despite anyone's getting there before them.

The last time I was at Disney with my adult DD, I offered an older person my seat on the bus and they politely declined the offer. As we were exiting the bus my DD said to me, "Mom, why'd you offer that guy your seat? You're older then him!" :laughing:

Entitlement USA baby! My sweet children are the most precious things on earth.

Children have a lower center of gravity than adults and should be able to adjust to a bus much easier and quicker than taller and heavier adults.

Unless their my children of course, and should be given a throne to sit on every bus.

As a mother, it's my responsibility to safely get my sons to the parks. We do not get on SRO buses and expect other to bail us out for our choice. We let people go past us onto the bus and wait for the next bus.

:)

Entitlement USA baby! My sweet children are the most precious things on earth.

Children have a lower center of gravity than adults and should be able to adjust to a bus much easier and quicker than taller and heavier adults.

Unless their my children of course, and should be given a throne to sit on every bus.
Have to agree. Well, about the center of gravity, not the thrones. I have never seen a child fall over on a bus while standing. In fact, most love it. It's the adults who seem to be unsteady on their feet.

we quit taking the bus several trips ago after too many extra long waits...but, I have to make a couple of points. I'm sure you'll hear from plenty about bus etiquette. I agree in general with the principle that the able-bodied should offer seats to the less able, But...

1. You cannot know by looking whether or not someone needs that seat more than you & your kids. People with disabilities & health issues do not wear signs announcing their needs. Not saying these people mentioned had issues, just saying there's a chance that family needed those seats more. I know people who look completely "normal" but have balance issues, arthritis, fatigue (not just tired, but an illness), etc. None of these friends & relatives "look" like there's anything wrong...but none of them could handle standing on a bus for a 20 minute ride, either.

2. You do not have to get on a standing room only bus, unless the driver tells you it's the last bus of the night. I know everyone's tired and just wants to get back to their resorts, but it is your choice to get on a crowded bus. Many, many times we saw people deliberately wait for an empty bus to get a seat. They would let those who were willing to stand pass ahead of them in the bus line and they'd just wait for the next bus, and sometimes then even a 3rd bus. Then a bus would come with some empty seats & they'd be first in line to get those seats. Now there's a good chance you would not know that they'd waited & waited to get a seat...especially if you were at the back of a crowded line. After waiting to get that seat, don't think they should have to offer it to someone else. And don't especially think that's rude of them, either.

I think you've made some good points, some that I hadn't really thought of. I am a 26 yo able-bodied woman and I do stand for basically anyone who looks older than thirty, pregnant women, and most children. I do this because I am lucky enough to be able to stand even if I might not want to.

No, you can't tell just by looking who is able-bodied enough to stand up and give someone less able-bodied a seat. But the sheer amount of times that I see no one stand up to give someone obviously less able bodied a seat does lead me to doubt that everyone else on that bus was incapable of standing and giving up their seat. That's rudeness even though I admit I can't tell which exact person is being rude because I can't tell who is able to stand, I just know that not every person on the dozens of buses I've been on is unable to stand. But I will admit that if you're really unable to stand, you should probably just wait for the next bus.

As to children, I'm a fully grown adult with no disabilities and I have a hard time reaching the safety bars. I was a gymnast and a cheerleader, and have a low center of gravity because I'm five feet tall and have a long torso with short legs. I have a good idea what it's like from a child's perspective, and I need something to hold onto on a moving bus. Sometimes I'm scrabbling to hold onto my mother because there's not a lot to just 'find something to hold onto' on these buses that's not the overhead bar. If I see a child who is shorter than I am, I'll stand up.

I don't think the folks on the planter did anything wrong. Maybe the man really thought the rope barrier would be placed in the spot he mentioned. I would ignore the gesturing, some people just can't "let go" of things as easily as others. Maybe they were having a bad day, who knows.

We've ridden WDW busses many times and rarely had anyone offer up their seat for my kids (9 and 6 now). Honestly, I offer up my seat to the elderly, pregnant women, or anyone with a baby in their arms. Otherwise, I stay seated. I also encourage my 9 yo to give up his seat for those mentioned. The bus rides trips are relatively short and everyones legs are throbbing.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter