Just back, DAS return time

Status
Not open for further replies.
It seems that "unfairness" is what upsets you the most.
So if your over the age of 55 do you take the discounts given to you as a senior citizen?
If your a active military or retired military do you take the discounts given?

I absolutely do, which is why I said there is no problem with you doing other stuff while you wait for the DAS return time - Disney allows that. But then you shouldn’t complain about the extra walking that entails, since you are CHOOSING to do all of the extra walking. That’s not a problem with the DAS, so why should the DAS be changed to cut down on walking that you yourself have chosen to do?

However Saturday you did say

"It shouldn’t be any easier than it is for the non-disabled to ride, IMO.
If it was up to me, DAS users wouldn’t be able to ride anything else while they wait for the return time, but the logistics for tracking that for nonFP rides would be next to impossible.

However Saturday you did say

"It shouldn’t be any easier than it is for the non-disabled to ride, IMO.
If it was up to me, DAS users wouldn’t be able to ride anything else while they wait for the return time, but the logistics for tracking that for nonFP rides would be next to impossible.
Absolutely, and I stand by that opinion. However, that isn’t what’s currently in place, so there is no reason people shouldn’t use the system that’s in place.

But they shouldn’t then complain that there is too much walking when they themeseves are choosing to do all of the extra walking.

It isn’t rocket science.

How about this? Allow DAS users to get their return time on MDE, but prevent them from utilizing any FastPasses during the wait time.

That would allow guests like redberyl, who can’t avoid the extra walking because the wait time is used to tend to her children’s medical needs at First Aid or elsewhere to actually avoid the extra walking while at the same time eliminating the inherent advantage that most DAS users enjoy. Side benefit would be that there would probably be less use of the DAS by those who don’t really need it, but like the idea of doubling up on rides, thus reducing FastPass lines for all.

How about this? Allow DAS users to get their return time on MDE, but prevent them from utilizing any FastPasses during the wait time.

That would allow guests like redberyl, who can’t avoid the extra walking because the wait time is used to tend to her children’s medical needs at First Aid or elsewhere to actually avoid the extra walking while at the same time eliminating the inherent advantage that most DAS users enjoy. Side benefit would be that there would probably be less use of the DAS by those who don’t really need it, but like the idea of doubling up on rides, thus reducing FastPass lines for all.
There are some issues with this, in some cases using a DAS is the same as having a wheelchair as far as ride operations go, this is particukapar the case where there are a limited number of wheelchairs allowed on the ride at a time. This means that a DAS user might be able to free up a wheelchair space for someone actually in a wheelchair by using FP instead. Additionally, some attractions, such as Pirates (DL) and Space (DL Version) take more time when you return than the standby line. And almost always the time you waited plus the time it takes when you return is always longer than the standby line.

Obviously Pirates can sometimes be worked around, but if the DAS holder needs more time to get on and off or is using a wheelchair, they have no choice.

But no matter what because the wait for the return time plus the amount of time waiting when you return is always love get that the standby line. Having had a lot of conversations about the DAS system with high level executives, they have told me that these were the main reasons that they decided to not only allow FP use with the DAS, but to encourage it.

So to your thought, not, that wouldn't work and wouldn't actually keep things fair.

Getting a return time from MDE would be no different than going to each attractions to get a return time, other than less walking and the ability to reduce staffing levels to a certain degree and allow Disney to save some money.

There are some issues with this, in some cases using a DAS is the same as having a wheelchair as far as ride operations go, this is particukapar the case where there are a limited number of wheelchairs allowed on the ride at a time. This means that a DAS user might be able to free up a wheelchair space for someone actually in a wheelchair by using FP instead. Additionally, some attractions, such as Pirates (DL) and Space (DL Version) take more time when you return than the standby line. And almost always the time you waited plus the time it takes when you return is always longer than the standby line.

Obviously Pirates can sometimes be worked around, but if the DAS holder needs more time to get on and off or is using a wheelchair, they have no choice.

But no matter what because the wait for the return time plus the amount of time waiting when you return is always love get that the standby line. Having had a lot of conversations about the DAS system with high level executives, they have told me that these were the main reasons that they decided to not only allow FP use with the DAS, but to encourage it.

So to your thought, not, that wouldn't work and wouldn't actually keep things fair.

Getting a return time from MDE would be no different than going to each attractions to get a return time, other than less walking and the ability to reduce staffing levels to a certain degree and allow Disney to save some money.

None of what you said about wheelchairs has anything to do with my suggestion at all, and nothing would change for wheelchair users under what I suggested.

The fact remains that with the exception of situations like redberyl noted, the choice to walk more is the DAS users, because they want to do something else while they wait. Given the advantages of the DAS, and given that DAS users can do other things while non-DAS users are in line, it’s not asking a lot that they at least go to the ride to get their return time.

I’d bet a large sum of money that given the choice of making the reservation on MDE but giving up the ability to use FP while waiting for the return time or doing the extra walking to get extra rides while you wait, most DAS users would choose the latter.

And there is nothing unfair about saying that a DAS user shouldn’t be able to ride two rides while a non-DAS Guest is standing in line for one ride that the DAS user has a return time for.

None of what you said about wheelchairs has anything to do with my suggestion at all, and nothing would change for wheelchair users under what I suggested.

The fact remains that with the exception of situations like redberyl noted, the choice to walk more is the DAS users, because they want to do something else while they wait. Given the advantages of the DAS, and given that DAS users can do other things while non-DAS users are in line, it’s not asking a lot that they at least go to the ride to get their return time.

I’d bet a large sum of money that given the choice of making the reservation on MDE but giving up the ability to use FP while waiting for the return time or doing the extra walking to get extra rides while you wait, most DAS users would choose the latter.

And there is nothing unfair about saying that a DAS user shouldn’t be able to ride two rides while a non-DAS Guest is standing in line for one ride that the DAS user has a return time for.
I have no problem getting a return time and then doing a FP ride. I do not do this that often but while I am in first aid or at my hotel ( and once at the ER) becuse I am having medical problems or having a meltdown that can last 3 hours to half a day someone with out the DAS is at the park still having g fun

I was out with a friend in a wheelchair when I said my lags are getting tired and I was going going to find a set ( we had been walking and standing for about 7 hours at this time) she looked at me and said well I am I do not need to find a set I have one. We laught about this but she was right there are some good things about having a wheelchair just like there are times that having a DAS you might get that extra ride in but just like my friend that uses a wheelchair there are times it just sucks. Now I think there are people that use the DAS that do not a DAS that have DAS that do get return times for a long ride in the area then wheile they wait they go on every ride in the area ( I know one that dose this personly ) but I think this is more of GR problem for not asking questions before giving out the DAS. I do not think you should be able to get a return time for a ride cross the park or at another park. But I think for some case getting a return time for s ride in the land kiosk could really help some.

Let's try....just for a minute....to remember that the folks who are using DAS are already at a disadvantage of some form. It's getting a little frustrating to see so many comments that seem to be forming "solutions" as though DAS users are fully able-bodied/able-minded.

OF COURSE there will always be a handful who do take advantage. But it's not the majority.

I have no problem getting a return time and then doing a FP ride. I do not do this that often but while I am in first aid or at my hotel ( and once at the ER) becuse I am having medical problems or having a meltdown that can last 3 hours to half a day someone with out the DAS is at the park still having g fun

This 100%.

It appears some people are so focused on the "fairness" of DAS compared to regular riders and only focusing on the short term details. Nobody seems to care that if my son spins out and we have to pull him out of the parks for a couple of hours, or another DAS holder has to take medically necessary long breaks away from the rides, the rest of the non-DAS world is still able to choose whether they stay in the parks and continue to ride rides.

At the end of the day, it balances out.

Let's try....just for a minute....to remember that the folks who are using DAS are already at a disadvantage of some form. It's getting a little frustrating to see so many comments that seem to be forming "solutions" as though DAS users are fully able-bodied/able-minded.

OF COURSE there will always be a handful who do take advantage. But it's not the majority.

YES!!! THIS!!! Thank you.

in January they had CMs placed through out MK, similar to the ones at DL/DCA. I saw 3-4 of them scattered about the park. They could give out FP for anywhere in MK. I was also given a survey about them, and I RAVED about the process. It was great, reminded me of the system at DL (which is SO MUCH better, there you can even get one for any park, which makes sense there because they are so close). It helped me so much, because I need to push my son in a manual chair, and it is a lot of work for me as I get older).

in January they had CMs placed through out MK, similar to the ones at DL/DCA. I saw 3-4 of them scattered about the park. They could give out FP for anywhere in MK. I was also given a survey about them, and I RAVED about the process. It was great, reminded me of the system at DL (which is SO MUCH better, there you can even get one for any park, which makes sense there because they are so close). It helped me so much, because I need to push my son in a manual chair, and it is a lot of work for me as I get older).
They could give out a FP or a DAS return time? If they can now give DAS return times, that would be great, as it was just announced they are permanent and will be expanding to other parks and this would essentially establish the kiosk style system that Disneyland has.

Actually it does have a lot to do with it, as I said, a DAS user using a DAS return time can take away a "wheelchair slot" from someone in a wheelchair, but if they use a FP, then that wheelchair slot remains open and allows the person in the wheelchair to get on in a more timely manner.

But others have pointed out as well that you are only looking at the short term and not the long term, most guests who need a DAS are unable to stay in the parks as long as guests who don't need a DAS for medical reasons.

So, no, your solution would not be fair in any shape or form and as, I said there are many reasons that the higher ups decided to allow FP in conjunction with the DAS and the ones I listed are some of the main ones.

Exactly correct, my solution is one to simply make the process easier to work with, not a major change to the system. In all reality, if I were to suggest a major change to the system, then it would be to do away with return times and instead require the person with a DAS to wait the length of the standby line before using the DAS on another attraction. Now that would be a major change and would have a lot of implications involved, but to suggest booking a return time from the app is not one that does, it is really no different than going over to the ride or a kiosk and asking for a return time.

Exactly correct, my solution is one to simply make the process easier to work with, not a major change to the system. In all reality, if I were to suggest a major change to the system, then it would be to do away with return times and instead require the person with a DAS to wait the length of the standby line before using the DAS on another attraction. Now that would be a major change and would have a lot of implications involved, but to suggest booking a return time from the app is not one that does, it is really no different than going over to the ride or a kiosk and asking for a return time.

If you consider your "major change" to be reasonable, then may I also suggest that all rides be shut down for a certain # of time each day so that able bodied guests are required to suspend all riding activity for the average period of time that someone with a disability is required to leave the parks/stop all park activity to attend to their disability.

See how silly that sounds?

this could really help some out I just hope you can not do it for a ride in another park
We as a DAS holder already wait the same amount of the standby line and we can only have one DAS at a time

If you consider your "major change" to be reasonable, then may I also suggest that all rides be shut down for a certain # of time each day so that able bodied guests are required to suspend all riding activity for the average period of time that someone with a disability is required to leave the parks/stop all park activity to attend to their disability.

See how silly that sounds?
I don't think you understood what I meant, here is what I was suggesting as a major change:
  • You go to ride say Space Mountain at 10 AM as your first ride of the day using the DAS, you are allowed to enter the FP queue right away with no return time, but the standby line is 60 minutes.
  • So before using the DAS a second time, you have to wait 60 minutes from when you entered the queue.
  • What this would accomplish over the present system is that you would be waiting the 60 minutes, minus the amount of time you already waited.
  • Let's say it took 15 minutes before you got on the ride, now once off the ride you would have about a 45 minute wait before using the DAS again and the process would repeat the same way at each attraction.
  • You could still use FPs during this time, you could still ride other attractions, go shopping, eat, go to shows, go to the restroom, etc., you just couldn't use the DAS again until waiting the length of the standby line.
Over all this major change would dramatically reduce the amount of waiting that currently happens (after all the you have the return time that is based on the standby queue plus the length of the FP or wheelchair queue when you return, which always ends up totaling longer than the standby line).

As I said there are pluses and minuses to such a solution and it would be a major change, so my suggesting of simply allowing people to book return times from the app seems like a fairly minimal change to me.

We as a DAS holder already wait the same amount of the standby line and we can only have one DAS at a time
Actually, we wait longer (sometimes substantially longer, such as at Space Mountain at Disneyland) than everybody else by the time you count the wait for your return time and the wait once you return, my "major change" would bring it more in line to be equal to everyone else, but there are issues with it.

The point is allowing people to request a return time from within the app is very minor.

My understanding is the DAS is given out for disabilities that make it very difficult to wait in a regular line. It is not given out to those recovering from cancer or who are elderly and tire easily so therefore cannot spend as much time in the park as others. So I don’t believe the DAS was ever meant to give some people the ability to accomplish more in the parks, just the ability to access the same attractions.

I believe the system of letting the card holder ride now, but then cannot get ride another ride until the time they would have waited for the first ride is similar to a system used at some other parks. It does come closer to guaranteeing the Card holder would not be waiting longer than a regular rider, and would get rid of the crossing back across a park after the wait. The only advantage would come at the end of the day, say when they walked onto FOP and then left the park. They could remedy that by keeping the track of the wait, and add it on the next time you entered the park.

My understanding is the DAS is given out for disabilities that make it very difficult to wait in a regular line. It is not given out to those recovering from cancer or who are elderly and tire easily so therefore cannot spend as much time in the park as others. So I don’t believe the DAS was ever meant to give some people the ability to accomplish more in the parks, just the ability to access the same attractions.

I believe the system of letting the card holder ride now, but then cannot get ride another ride until the time they would have waited for the first ride is similar to a system used at some other parks. It does come closer to guaranteeing the Card holder would not be waiting longer than a regular rider, and would get rid of the crossing back across a park after the wait. The only advantage would come at the end of the day, say when they walked onto FOP and then left the park. They could remedy that by keeping the track of the wait, and add it on the next time you entered the park.

the DAS is for people that cannot wait in the stander line environment someone with cancer could need to wait outside the line just like someone with cancer could be ok to wait inside the line. this is why the DAS is need-based not DX based two people can have the same DX but very different needs. the DAS is not for mobility needs and this can be anything from a not stand too long cannot walk too far I get tier to fast. for these, a mobility device is recommended.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter