Just back, DAS return time

Status
Not open for further replies.
I guess I don't know why you think that the first ride of the day for a DAS user is instant? It is not. You have to go and set up the DAS at the ride and they give you the return time, not instant access. I think you misunderstand how it works.
Re read the post they are saying if they can make a change to how the DAS work this is what they would do. Not how it works now

it is this attitude that I am taking issue with, someone goes to Disney World by themselves, they legitimately need a DAS and get one. Let's say they have issues where they need to be able to get to the restroom quickly as an example, for whatever reasons those are. Let's also say they have mobility issues and for whatever reason do not have a wheelchair or ECV, some don't in this situation because having those can make it take substantially longer to get to the restroom when people get in the way.

Now they go to Kilimanjaro Safaris to get a return time (again just an example), their issue hits and they now need to go to the restroom during their wait time. They had originally planned to sit near the attraction and wait because of comments like this, but now they must walk to the restrooms that are a fair distance away and walk back again. This is not something they choose to do, so don't keep saying they have a choice in if they walk further than others or not, they don't.

Even if they had a mobility device, that is either more work on them (in the case of a manual chair) or more battery power used, either way, not a good thing and still not their choice to leave and come back.

Welp, again , that’s their choice to go alone..or at all. Or to not avail themselves of all/ any other aids. When I have issues of that nature, I wear Depends/Poise. I have breathing problems( trying to rule out COPD currently). I get coughing fits that empty my bladder in the most spectacular ( sarcasm intended) way. I know aaaaallllll about having to get to a restroom five minutes ago. And I am in a WC. But I have taken extra precautions on top of what Disney offers me.

I have also had to give up certain of my favorite activities because of my issues. People seem to view attending WDW as an entitlement, not the rare gift that it actually is. The DAS is not there to fix all your issues and provide a hassle free stress free visit. It’s there to assuage one aspect of a visit. One that, I may add, everyone would dearly love to take advantage of.

I think this is where the disconnect is. I bet a good chunk of visitors have some kind of "disadvantage" or another. Either age and arthritis has slowed them down, they are very young and can't stay in the parks as long, have mental disabilities, physical disabilities, bathroom issue, heat sensitivity, etc, etc. The list can go on and on. What you are trying to tell us is everyone is supposed to feel bad for or treat different only certain people. It is like some of you are acting like "my disability is worse then yours". DAS is a great compromise for those who have issues. Maybe some people still will not be able to do everything even with it. Nobody is guaranteed a "perfect" visit where you can do everything you want, the weather will be perfect, you will never have to wait, etc. Even those without issues have bad things happen to them. They get sick or injured. The best thing a person can do is to enjoy what they are able to do, even if it is not "perfect". Focusing on what you are NOT able to do is what makes a person angry and bitter.
Yes, the DAS is a good compromise, but that doesnt mean there aren't improvements that could be made that make it work even better. For example, getting return times from the app instead of going to the ride would definitely improve things and solve some of the issues that Disney has been sued over with it, who knows where those law suits will go, but this would definitely be a way to stop them in their tracks.

No system will ever be perfect, but that doesn't mean Disney shouldn't continuously try to reach a perfect system.

Welp, again , that’s their choice to go alone..or at all. Or to not avail themselves of all/ any other aids. When I have issues of that nature, I wear Depends/Poise. I have breathing problems( trying to rule out COPD currently). I get coughing fits that empty my bladder in the most spectacular ( sarcasm intended) way. I know aaaaallllll about having to get to a restroom five minutes ago. And I am in a WC. But I have taken extra precautions on top of what Disney offers me.

I have also had to give up certain of my favorite activities because of my issues. People seem to view attending WDW as an entitlement, not the rare gift that it actually is. The DAS is not there to fix all your issues and provide a hassle free stress free visit. It’s there to assuage one aspect of a visit. One that, I may add, everyone would dearly love to take advantage of.
I said they had to get to a restroom quickly, you assumes it was to use the restroom in that manner, there are other reasons they may need to visit a restroom quickly.

And it isn't always their choice and even if it is, why should they be required to walk more than others?

Anyway, as I said I think we will have to agree to disagree, I am just grateful that you aren't running things because what you describe is a terrible idea that wouldn't work for most people.

The message I am hearing from several posters here is, "I prefer to make a disabled person's life a little bit harder, because I would resent them maybe having what I perceive as an advantage over me, even though it wouldn't actually take anything away from me or affect me in any way." if you can't hear how horrible that sounds then theres no hope for you anyway and we are all just wasting our time here.

And it isn't always their choice and even if it is, why should they be required to walk more than others?

If it is their choice, then by definition of the words “choice” and “required”, then they aren’t required to walk more than others.

Anyway, as I said I think we will have to agree to disagree, I am just grateful that you aren't running things because what you describe is a terrible idea that wouldn't work for most people.

You’re assuming that most DAS users use their wait times to attend to their disability related needs. I don’t believe that’s the case at all.

Yes, the DAS is a good compromise, but that doesnt mean there aren't improvements that could be made that make it work even better. For example, getting return times from the app instead of going to the ride would definitely improve things and solve some of the issues that Disney has been sued over with it, who knows where those law suits will go, but this would definitely be a way to stop them in their tracks.

No system will ever be perfect, but that doesn't mean Disney shouldn't continuously try to reach a perfect system.

I agree that Disney can probably make some changes that would help people out. I also think they have already thought about it and are the only ones in the position to see both sides. I think that they want to keep some control over the situation. Remember DAS is supposed to make it as close to being in line like everyone else as possible. A person that does not have a DAS does not get to start their wait time in line across the park while riding PoTC. They have to actually get to the ride and then get in line. What you are asking for is even more of a benefit then what is already involved not equal,but better. Sure it might not work for everyone, or it might be more of a hassle for some, but if it really is THAT much harder for someone then they can and should talk to guest services and explain why DAS is not working for them. But I think we can all agree that the way DAS is set up is more then fair for the majority of people that use it.

The message I am hearing from several posters here is, "I prefer to make a disabled person's life a little bit harder, because I would resent them maybe having what I perceive as an advantage over me, even though it wouldn't actually take anything away from me or affect me in any way." if you can't hear how horrible that sounds then theres no hope for you anyway and we are all just wasting our time here.

DAS use affects every person in the park. That doesn’t mean people shouldn’t get and use a DAS when they need one, nor should they not do anything that Disney allows with the system, including using FP during the wait times. But the more attractive they make them to use, such as booking by MDE, the more likely they are to be abused. And again, that affects every person in the park, including valid DAS users.

The DAS is a vast improvement over the GAC, but there are still things that could be done so that it provides more equal, rather than superior, access.

But who decides how much "better" someone should have when it comes to going to an amusement park. After all, we are not talking about a life necessity like getting to work or going to the grocery store so you can live. A place like an amusement park is not really someplace that it is reasonable to expect the "perfect, just how I want it to be" accommodations. Why don't they just let them skip all the lines and go straight on whatever ride they want almost instantly. Oh, wait... hmmm. Nobody is unsympathetic to those with special needs. And again, if DAS does not work for someone then Disney straight up says to go talk to guest services so that they can help you. Bottom line is, there is always someone that will be unhappy, that will feel like they are getting the short end of the stick.

I have been hearing that message for quite some time and from the same posters with a few new ones joining in occasionally. Some of them have been posting on EVERY thread about DAS since the rumors started about Disney changing from the GAC to DAS. In my mind I called them the "DAS Police" but now I have put that out there publicly. You would think by now I could just ignore and not let their posts bother me, and I do to a certain point. It's very personal to me as my daughter is a DAS user and she is profoundly disabled. We wouldn't be able to successfully visit WDW without the DAS or some form of accommodation regarding the lines at WDW. However, their opinions are not going to change. Maybe it is time for me to truly put them on "ignore." That is a feature on these boards and I have done it before, but not because of posters on the disABILITIES board.

I have been hearing that message for quite some time and from the same posters with a few new ones joining in occasionally. Some of them have been posting on EVERY thread about DAS since the rumors started about Disney changing from the GAC to DAS. In my mind I called them the "DAS Police" but now I have put that out there publicly. You would think by now I could just ignore and not let their posts bother me, and I do to a certain point. It's very personal to me as my daughter is a DAS user and she is profoundly disabled. We wouldn't be able to successfully visit WDW without the DAS or some form of accommodation regarding the lines at WDW. However, their opinions are not going to change. Maybe it is time for me to truly put them on "ignore." That is a feature on these boards and I have done it before, but not because of posters on the disABILITIES board.

Has anyone ever said that your daughter shouldn’t have a DAS? Or that she shouldn’t use it to the full extent allowed by Disney? I’ve not seen anyone on this thread or any other day that the DAS is a bad thing or that people who need one shouldn’t get one.

What I have seen is a very, very few DAS users that have never given up on trying to turn the DAS into the GAC. Or a particular poster who is constantly complaining about how unfair the DAS is to DAS holders themselves.

Your daughter should use the DAS to it’s full extent, no question. She has every right to equal access, both legally and morally. What she doesn’t have, what none of us, disabled or not, have a right to is a superior experience based on a disability or characteristic (for the non- disabled).

Has anyone ever said that your daughter shouldn’t have a DAS? Or that she shouldn’t use it to the full extent allowed by Disney? I’ve not seen anyone on this thread or any other day that the DAS is a bad thing or that people who need one shouldn’t get one.

What I have seen is a very, very few DAS users that have never given up on trying to turn the DAS into the GAC. Or a particular poster who is constantly complaining about how unfair the DAS is to DAS holders themselves.

Your daughter should use the DAS to it’s full extent, no question. She has every right to equal access, both legally and morally. What she doesn’t have, what none of us, disabled or not, have a right to is a superior experience based on a disability or characteristic (for the non- disabled).

But you have said in this thread, that it is your opinion, DAS users shouldn’t be allowed to go on any attraction until after they have used their return time. That Disney is giving too much accommodation already. That opinion is what I have issue with. She isn’t getting a superior experience, not with DAS. With GAC, I will admit it probably was and I have been supportive of the change.

But you have said in this thread, that it is your opinion, DAS users shouldn’t be allowed to go on any attraction until after they have used their return time. That Disney is giving too much accommodation already. That opinion is what I have issue with.

You’re right, I did say that, and I stand by it, because the DAS is supposed to provide equal access, not superior access. And being able to ride during the time that, without a DAS, you would be waiting in line is, IMO, superior access.

My issue isn’t with guests doing it, since Disney allows it. My issue is with Disney allowing it to begin with. Add to that the complaints from some that the DAS adds so much walking when the fact is that much of that walking is due to DAS user choosing to ride other attractions while they await their return time, and it’s clear that to these people, equal access won’t suffice, they want superior access, and they want that superior access to be as easy for them as possible.

redberyl brought up some great points about how for some, the medical needs that must be attended to cause the additional walking, and in those cases, I do feel for the guests. I appreciate her opening my eyes to that.

For all of the complaints about how the DAS should be obtainable via MDE to cut down on walking, I’d bet my next paycheck if the rules were changed to getting the DAS via MDE to cut down on walking, but no more use of FP during the wait time, the vast majority of people complaining about so much walking wouldn’t want to make that trade. The reason? Because for most people, the walking is due to riding during the wait time, not tending to medical needs.

You’re right, I did say that, and I stand by it, because the DAS is supposed to provide equal access, not superior access. And being able to ride during the time that, without a DAS, you would be waiting in line is, IMO, superior access.

My issue isn’t with guests doing it, since Disney allows it. My issue is with Disney allowing it to begin with. Add to that the complaints from some that the DAS adds so much walking when the fact is that much of that walking is due to DAS user choosing to ride other attractions while they await their return time, and it’s clear that to these people, equal access won’t suffice, they want superior access, and they want that superior access to be as easy for them as possible.

redberyl brought up some great points about how for some, the medical needs that must be attended to cause the additional walking, and in those cases, I do feel for the guests. I appreciate her opening my eyes to that.

For all of the complaints about how the DAS should be obtainable via MDE to cut down on walking, I’d bet my next paycheck if the rules were changed to getting the DAS via MDE to cut down on walking, but no more use of FP during the wait time, the vast majority of people complaining about so much walking wouldn’t want to make that trade. The reason? Because for most people, the walking is due to riding during the wait time, not tending to medical needs.

This again is where I disagree with you. I don’t believe guests that need the DAS accommodation are having a superior experience in comparison to the average guest.

We’re each entitled to our opinions.

Of course.

I just think it would be more helpful to the OP for responders to suggest strategies on how to alleviate excessive walking and how to carefully plan DAS use with FP+.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter