Just back, DAS return time

Status
Not open for further replies.
Yeah, having the ability to attend to my kids medical needs while we wait for a ride gives me such a HUGE advantage over able bodied guests.

No, but it makes it possible for you to even go to the parks. I get it, life is not fair, and for some, it is even less fair. But people that do not have your particular issues, should not be made to feel guilty that they don't have it "as hard" as you do. We never know what life brings us. We all need to do what is best for ourselves. You can just as easily complain about how horrible you have it and then someone that has it worse thinks that you should be grateful for how good you have it. Everyone has issues, no one's life is perfect and the fact of the matter is that anyone that is able to go even go to WDW is so much better off then most people in this world. I grew up hearing stories from my grandparents about their life in Poland during the war. My grandma was taken at 16 to be a slave on a farm in Germany. She stole a potato once from a field because she had not eaten in 3 days and she was so scared because they would have killed her for it. There are many more worse stories then this. So I tend to see things in a different life. NOTHING in my life, or pretty much anyone that I have ever met, has it bad. I think a lot of Americans do not realize how lucky we all are here.

That wasnt the point, people often are getting help for their anxiety and still need the assistance and the comment telling them to just go help is exceptionally rude.

I didn't say to just get help, I said that if you have anxiety that you can not handle, then to get professional help, just like you would for any other illness. They can help with anxiety, you don't have to have it rule your life.

I didn't say to just get help, I said that if you have anxiety that you can not handle, then to get professional help, just like you would for any other illness. They can help with anxiety, you don't have to have it rule your life.
Well, who says they aren't getting help? It is not up to you to say that they should or shouldn't go get help anyway, that is a personal decision they have to make.

Even with help, anxiety can and often does rule people's life, so I stand by my response that saying it was very rude and offensive to those with anxiety. And anxiety comes in many forms, some even the professionals won't treat because they don't believe they are real.

For example, when women are victims of domestic abuse help, including help with anxiety as a result of it is almost always available to them, but did you know that if a man is a victim of domestic abuse at the hand of a woman it is usually ignored by everyone from the police to medical professionals when reported? How is that guy supposed to get help with their justifiable anxiety when even medical professionals won't acknowledge that there was a cause?

Again, it just shows how bad the comment was.

I’m new to the dis, so forgive me if it’s been covered before - but why is membership to the disabilities subforum open?

It can be hard for a neurotypical person to appreciate what may be genuinely hard for someone else. It’s abelist to suggest it just shouldn’t be be hard or that they should pretend they don’t need or have adjustments.

Disney provides adjustment for many reasons, not the least of which is their legislated requirements.

I’m new to the dis, so forgive me if it’s been covered before - but why is membership to the disabilities subforum open?

It can be hard for a neurotypical person to appreciate what may be genuinely hard for someone else. It’s abelist to suggest it just shouldn’t be be hard or that they should pretend they don’t need or have adjustments.

Disney provides adjustment for many reasons, not the least of which is their legislated requirements.

The disabilities subforum is open because the disboards do not require proof of a medical diagnosis to read or engage in content, NOR SHOULD THEY. There are many of us who read, get information, and choose to participate in discussion on this subforum but haven't opted to disclose our medical history with everyone. That doesn't necessarily mean that we don't have medical issues just because we haven't shared our diagnosis or that some aren't on here to gain info for someone they care about who does.

Just stop. You obviously don't deal with anxiety nor live with anyone who does. It is an incredibly difficult condition to treat effectively and requires constant management. My 14 year old son has severe anxiety (and autism and ADHD). He has been under professional psychiatric and psychological care for 2 years. His anxiety still rules his life. He is on meds. He sees a therapist weekly. It doesn't just go away like a headache when you take an aspirin. My husband has PTSD related anxiety from military combat. Same deal. He is medicated. He has still not found the right medication to address his anxiety so a lot of it is mental exercises and self talk to keep his anxiety in check. Still, though, it basically rules his life.

No, but it makes it possible for you to even go to the parks. I get it, life is not fair, and for some, it is even less fair. But people that do not have your particular issues, should not be made to feel guilty that they don't have it "as hard" as you do. We never know what life brings us. We all need to do what is best for ourselves. You can just as easily complain about how horrible you have it and then someone that has it worse thinks that you should be grateful for how good you have it. Everyone has issues, no one's life is perfect and the fact of the matter is that anyone that is able to go even go to WDW is so much better off then most people in this world. I grew up hearing stories from my grandparents about their life in Poland during the war. My grandma was taken at 16 to be a slave on a farm in Germany. She stole a potato once from a field because she had not eaten in 3 days and she was so scared because they would have killed her for it. There are many more worse stories then this. So I tend to see things in a different life. NOTHING in my life, or pretty much anyone that I have ever met, has it bad. I think a lot of Americans do not realize how lucky we all are here.

no where did i imply that people need to feel guilty for not having life as hard as my kids or that there aren't other people who have it worse. my point is, there are people on here who seem to resent that the DAS might give some disabled people an unfair advantage, when in reality for some of us the only way we can do the parks at all is to use the DAS. i'm glad for you that you don't 'have it bad" in life. my daughter will not survive her childhood and suffers daily, so yes, I believe she "has it bad." too bad for you if you don't agree. and your stories about your grandparents have absolutely nothing to do with this conversation

Last edited:
What I find most difficult is I have to be the one to go to the ride for our family's return time when I am the one with the walking/ standing difficulty and I can't be in the sun for long period of time and I use a wheelchair

Just to say, I was told that I don't have to go to get the DAS I just have to be there when it is redeemed so the rest of the party (or someone in the party) can go and request a DAS return time then as long as at that time I am with them it still counts and is fine. As long as you get all their bands linked to your DAS then it should work. To be fair we have never tested this as I have always ended up going with them but thought I would mention it as this was what I was told in September when I last got a DAS

I do understand why you are asking, however, this forum is open for all to read and for any DISboard member to post on. If you are looking for a more private setting to discuss Disney with disabilities send me a PM. I am an admin in a private FB group that does just that. Welcome to the DIS!

I do understand why you are asking, however, this forum is open for all to read and for any DISboard member to post on. If you are looking for a more private setting to discuss Disney with disabilities send me a PM. I am an admin in a private FB group that does just that. Welcome to the DIS!
Thank you, that’s really kind. I am a member of a few great FB groups. I was asking because I’ve noticed a lot of abelist comments on this thread and others. I find closed groups, even those with the most cursory of memberships, are much more accepting.

040FA6E3-BDE9-4422-BE03-D02C96379577.jpeg
Just to say, I was told that I don't have to go to get the DAS I just have to be there when it is redeemed so the rest of the party (or someone in the party) can go and request a DAS return time then as long as at that time I am with them it still counts and is fine. As long as you get all their bands linked to your DAS then it should work. To be fair we have never tested this as I have always ended up going with them but thought I would mention it as this was what I was told in September when I last got a DAS
The guest DAS requesting to be enrolled in DAS needs to go to Guest Relations, but any of their group who are linked to the DAS can go to attractions to request a DAS Return Time.

This is a screenshot from the Disney website information about DAS:
https://wdpromedia.disney.go.com/me.../wdw-disability-access-service_2015-04-30.pdf

We’ve used DAS for our daughter since it began. It’s usualy my husband or me requesting the DAS Return Time. Our daughter is very seldom with us when we request the Return Time.

View attachment 388952

We’ve used DAS for our daughter since it began. It’s usualy my husband or me requesting the DAS Return Time. Our daughter is very seldom with us when we request the Return Time.

Yep we sometimes set up the DAS return time for our group (our son - 10yo at the time - was the one for whom the DAS was set up). But we had talked to him about how it worked, and we found that he got really excited to set up the DAS return time for the family - I think a PP had mentioned that some kids might get upset about going to a ride and not being able to get on in that moment as a benefit of having kiosks instead....just offering our experience as an alternative view :) Not every kid will react the same, or have the same ability to advocate for themselves, so it's great that the option is there for other party members to set up times.

We have been using the DAS (or the former GAC) since 2006. Our daughter, now a teenager, has severe non-verbal autism and other medical issues. We always start with making our 3 FP's each day, usually one at 9:30am, 10:30am and 11:30am if possible. We usually have a 6-9 day hopper each vacation so we are usually able to visit each park multiple times. We tend to stay in a park for 3-4 hours at a time before taking a necessary sensory break back at the resort. I know not everyone is able to coordinate their Fast Passes with DAS return times like we do, but in the MK for example, on our first visit we will focus on just Tomorrowland and Fantasyland. We might make a FP for 7 Dwarfs, Buzz and Peter Pan and then get return times for any of those we want to do them twice (rarely do we do that) and then use DAS (or even get a fourth FP) for the remaining attractions in those lands. This reduces the amount of running around we have to do in the park. The next visit to MK we focus on Liberty Square, Frontierland and Adventureland... Epcot, that is harder to coordinate because many of the popular attractions are spread out (Soarin, Test Track and Frozen for example). I just try to look at planning as part of the fun. daughter enjoys watching the ride through videos of attractions on You Tube and she will indicate to me that she want to make a FP for it or not. Her FAVORITE WDW attraction is Everest. That is one ride we will make a FP and a DAS return time for as she likes to ride it twice. Mom doesn't but I will do it for her! We are usually only able to do 6-8 attractions a day, AT BEST. It can be less. Often we just use FP and don't need the DAS. I am just sharing our experience and our circumstances. I know our strategies won't work for everyone. If the DAS alone isn't working for your situation please revisit Guest Relations. The DAS FAQ states this: "In unique situations, our Guest Relations staff will discuss special accommodations for persons who are concerned DAS doesn’t meet their needs (e.g., those whose disability limits the duration of their visit to the park or limits their choice of attractions)."

The information provided on the disABILITIES subforum is helpful to lots of people, not just those who have a disability themselves. What criteria would you use to limit membership? Many posters are here because while they might not have a disability, their children, other family members, or traveling companions do. Some people have temporary disabilities because they've suffered an injury. These people are just as in need of information on how to handle disabilities at Disney as the person who is disabled.

Also, there are a wide variety of disabilities addressed here. In a perfect world someone with a disability would be understanding of others with disabilities, but that isn't always the case. Many posters here are neurotypical but have physical disabilities. Most posters here are kind, understanding people, but there will always be people in life who are less than empathetic of others. Closing membership to this subforum won't alleviate that issue. If there is a poster whose comments you don't care for you can either skip past those posts or click on their username and select ignore. If you ignore them, their comments will not appear in the thread as long as you are logged in when reading.

@Jocelynaus The vast majority of posts and posters are helpful, though maybe not the information the reader wishes to have. SueM in MN and I try to keep on top of things and bring people back to topic when necessary. "Disabilities" is a wide and varying topic, and sometimes people don't always understand another's [completely different] needs. What at first glance may seem black-and-white to an observer may have many nuances of gray to those dealing with it. Hopefully we all learn something while here - I know I have over the years and I have a much greater appreciation for those who deal with disabilities different from my family's needs.

I certainly hope you will continue to read here and feel comfortable posting questions and your experience. If you have a concern about a post, "Report" it using the bottom at the button of each post and a moderator or webmaster will review.

We where at MK yesterday and my oldest daughter went to get the return time and the CM told her I had to be there with her, then an other CM went over to her and told her it was okay for her to get the return time. However the system was down so they had a paper one they filled out. NOW I did see who the system could be taken advantage of by the system being down, however if it was done by the MDE app that wouldn't happen :)

That’s my point though - you don’t have to leave Frozen Ever After once you get your return time, go back to Future World, then back to Frozen when it’s time to ride - you choose to do that because you want to do other things while you wait for your return time. As the DAS system allows that, no problem. But you could just as easily stay near Frozen until your return time, and voila! Less walking.

If DAS users want less walking, all they have to do is stay near the ride for which they’re waiting - no change in the system required .

It seems that "unfairness" is what upsets you the most.
So if your over the age of 55 do you take the discounts given to you as a senior citizen?
If your a active military or retired military do you take the discounts given?

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter