Just back, DAS return time

Status
Not open for further replies.
the DAS is for people that cannot wait in the stander line environment someone with cancer could need to wait outside the line just like someone with cancer could be ok to wait inside the line. this is why the DAS is need-based not DX based two people can have the same DX but very different needs. the DAS is not for mobility needs and this can be anything from a not stand too long cannot walk too far I get tier to fast. for these, a mobility device is recommended.

Exactly! I was just pointing out DAS was not given out to compensate folks who may have medical issues and have to spend time in First aid or the ER while others are still enjoying park time. As often, those folks with medical issues are not given a DAS because exhaustion from too much standing or walking is considered a mobility issue.

Actually it does have a lot to do with it, as I said, a DAS user using a DAS return time can take away a "wheelchair slot" from someone in a wheelchair, but if they use a FP, then that wheelchair slot remains open and allows the person in the wheelchair to get on in a more timely manner.

But others have pointed out as well that you are only looking at the short term and not the long term, most guests who need a DAS are unable to stay in the parks as long as guests who don't need a DAS for medical reasons.

So, no, your solution would not be fair in any shape or form and as, I said there are many reasons that the higher ups decided to allow FP in conjunction with the DAS and the ones I listed are some of the main ones.

The DAS isn’t meant to compensate for shorter time in the parks. It’s meant to provide access to attractions for people whose disability makes waiting in the line impossible or difficult. That’s it - nothing more, nothing less.

The DAS isn’t meant to compensate for shorter time in the parks. It’s meant to provide access to attractions for people whose disability makes waiting in the line impossible or difficult. That’s it - nothing more, nothing less.

However if DAS doesn’t assist guests with disabilities/conditions who can only spend short times in the park, the WDW DAS info on their website states this:

“In unique situations, our Guest Relations staff will discuss special accommodations for persons who are concerned DAS doesn’t meet their needs (e.g., those whose disability limits the duration of their visit to the park or limits their choice of attractions).”

So please DAS users don’t hesitate to discuss your circumstances with guest relations. They might say they cannot provide additional accommodations but you won’t know unless you speak with them. They just might be able to help.

Last edited:
However if DAS doesn’t assist guests with disabilities/conditions who can only spend short times in the park, the WDW DAS info on their website states this:

“In unique situations, our Guest Relations staff will discuss special accommodations for persons who are concerned DAS doesn’t meet their needs (e.g., those whose disability limits the duration of their visit to the park or limits their choice of attractions).”

So please DAS users don’t hesitate to discuss your circumstances with guest services. They might say they cannot provide additional accommodations but you won’t know unless you speak with them. They just might be able to help.
Exactly and for some people, DAS combined with FP addresses their needs, even if it wasn't the original intent of the DAS and it is a simple solution, so they go with that when it will accommodate the needs, but it is on a case by case basis and up to the guest and the guest relations CMs to help determine what the best option(s) are.

This 100%.

It appears some people are so focused on the "fairness" of DAS compared to regular riders and only focusing on the short term details. Nobody seems to care that if my son spins out and we have to pull him out of the parks for a couple of hours, or another DAS holder has to take medically necessary long breaks away from the rides, the rest of the non-DAS world is still able to choose whether they stay in the parks and continue to ride rides.

At the end of the day, it balances out.

My issue is much less with the unfairness, which Disney has built in, as is their right, it’s more with people who benefit it from it then complaining because they have to walk too much to do so.

If I’m on Main Street, have a FP for Space Mountain, but want a DAS return time for Splash Mountain to hold while I use my FP, it’s then my choice to do all of that walking. I could just as easily (more easily, in fact) use my Space Mountain FP, then walk over to Splash Mountain, get a return time, then wait for that return time to come up.

Disney certainly allows use of FP while waiting with a DAS return time, so it’s not that anyone is doing anything wrong by doing so, but neither is anyone forced to do so. That’s why it seems ridiculous to me that people complain about all of the walking when, in most cases, they are choosing to do more walking so that they can ride something else while they wait.

That isn’t a problem with the DAS or with how return times are obtained, it’s, in most cases, a guest choosing to do more walking than is necessary in order to utilize the DAS.

My issue is much less with the unfairness, which Disney has built in, as is their right, it’s more with people who benefit it from it then complaining because they have to walk too much to do so.

If I’m on Main Street, have a FP for Space Mountain, but want a DAS return time for Splash Mountain to hold while I use my FP, it’s then my choice to do all of that walking. I could just as easily (more easily, in fact) use my Space Mountain FP, then walk over to Splash Mountain, get a return time, then wait for that return time to come up.

Disney certainly allows use of FP while waiting with a DAS return time, so it’s not that anyone is doing anything wrong by doing so, but neither is anyone forced to do so. That’s why it seems ridiculous to me that people complain about all of the walking when, in most cases, they are choosing to do more walking so that they can ride something else while they wait.

That isn’t a problem with the DAS or with how return times are obtained, it’s, in most cases, a guest choosing to do more walking than is necessary in order to utilize the DAS.
Well, honestly compared to the old system, the new one is far more fair, even to the point of being unfair to those that need to use the system, I mean can anyone really say it is fair for a person who has to use the alternate entrance at Space Mountain at Disneyland to do the following?

• There is a 90 minute wait, so they get a return time, which is usually about 80 minutes away in this case.
  • They return to Space Mountain after their 80 minute wait to find out there is another 90 minute wait to use the alternate entrance
Seriously, this happens frequently for Space, Splash, Big Thunder, Pirates and several other attractions, so if you want to really discuss fairness, we can, but really, this is about extra walking.

So, no the extra walking is not always a choice, it is for some, but for the majority, it is not a choice, it is mandatory due to medical needs.

You seem to think that someone who needs the DAS could get a return time and just wait at the attraction, except many who need the return times often need access to restrooms (which aren't always right by an attraction, this means extra walking), food, A/C, etc. during their wait times and in most cases these aren't a choice for them to make, but rather medically necessary. Additionally with how many benches have been removed as of late, often there would be nowhere for them to sit and wait near the attraction any way. There will be a few where it is a choice, but those are the exceptionally few and many of them are the ones who abuse the system, the vast majority who need the DAS will have needs to go away from the attraction during the wait time that are unavoidable.

Not that I expect that you will listen to a voice of reason on this, so this is a case where we will most likely have to agree to disagree, but just know that the basic premise that you are coming from is flawed in that there are other needs at play. After all if simply sitting during the wait time would solve the issue, then those who need the DAS could simply rent a wheel chair or ECV and use the standard queue, as they would be sitting during the wait time.

Well, honestly compared to the old system, the new one is far more fair, even to the point of being unfair to those that need to use the system, I mean can anyone really say it is fair for a person who has to use the alternate entrance at Space Mountain at Disneyland to do the following?

• There is a 90 minute wait, so they get a return time, which is usually about 80 minutes away in this case.
  • They return to Space Mountain after their 80 minute wait to find out there is another 90 minute wait to use the alternate entrance
Seriously, this happens frequently for Space, Splash, Big Thunder, Pirates and several other attractions, so if you want to really discuss fairness, we can, but really, this is about extra walking.

So, no the extra walking is not always a choice, it is for some, but for the majority, it is not a choice, it is mandatory due to medical needs.

You seem to think that someone who needs the DAS could get a return time and just wait at the attraction, except many who need the return times often need access to restrooms (which aren't always right by an attraction, this means extra walking), food, A/C, etc. during their wait times and in most cases these aren't a choice for them to make, but rather medically necessary. Additionally with how many benches have been removed as of late, often there would be nowhere for them to sit and wait near the attraction any way. There will be a few where it is a choice, but those are the exceptionally few and many of them are the ones who abuse the system, the vast majority who need the DAS will have needs to go away from the attraction during the wait time that are unavoidable.

Not that I expect that you will listen to a voice of reason on this, so this is a case where we will most likely have to agree to disagree, but just know that the basic premise that you are coming from is flawed in that there are other needs at play. After all if simply sitting during the wait time would solve the issue, then those who need the DAS could simply rent a wheel chair or ECV and use the standard queue, as they would be sitting during the wait time.

I agree 100% that the DAS is more fair than the GAC, and I also agree that exceptionally long waits at alternate entrances for wheelchairs after waiting for the return time are unfair - no question about that. I’m not sure why someone in a wheelchair would use DAS and wait that much longer instead of just getting a wheelchair return time, but that’s neither here nor there.

However, your contention that sitting in a wheelchair or on an ECV while in the standard queue would solve the problem is completely incorrect, since the reason DAS is issued is because the guest can’t wait IN the line, not due to mobility issues, but because of myriad other issues unrelated to mobility.

As for your self-proclaimed title of “the voice of reason”, that’s another area where we’ll just have to agree to disagree.

I agree 100% that the DAS is more fair than the GAC, and I also agree that exceptionally long waits at alternate entrances for wheelchairs after waiting for the return time are unfair - no question about that. I’m not sure why someone in a wheelchair would use DAS and wait that much longer instead of just getting a wheelchair return time, but that’s neither here nor there.

However, your contention that sitting in a wheelchair or on an ECV while in the standard queue would solve the problem is completely incorrect, since the reason DAS is issued is because the guest can’t wait IN the line, not due to mobility issues, but because of myriad other issues unrelated to mobility.

As for your self-proclaimed title of “the voice of reason”, that’s another area where we’ll just have to agree to disagree.
That is my point, that wait time is AFTER getting a wheelchair return time, meaning you had to wait for the return time and then have to wait that long again after returning.

But that's my point, if a person with a DAS can't wait in the queue, do you really think they can sit on a bench by the attraction and wait as you suggest they do to avoid the extra walking? Seriously, you just pointed out that they can't wait in line, well, waiting on the bench is no different than waiting in the line, so extra walking is a necessity when you have to go to the attraction to get a return time, as the person will have to leave the attraction and come back by the nature of why they need a DAS, so again, how is the extra walking a choice?

That is my point, that wait time is AFTER getting a wheelchair return time, meaning you had to wait for the return time and then have to wait that long again after returning.

But that's my point, if a person with a DAS can't wait in the queue, do you really think they can sit on a bench by the attraction and wait as you suggest they do to avoid the extra walking? Seriously, you just pointed out that they can't wait in line, well, waiting on the bench is no different than waiting in the line, so extra walking is a necessity when you have to go to the attraction to get a return time, as the person will have to leave the attraction and come back by the nature of why they need a DAS, so again, how is the extra walking a choice?

Thanks for clarifying the return time issue for wheelchairs - I agree that is unacceptable.

As for standing in a line being the same as sitting and waiting outside the line, I think most people would recognize that there is a huge difference between the two.

Thanks for clarifying the return time issue for wheelchairs - I agree that is unacceptable.

As for standing in a line being the same as sitting and waiting outside the line, I think most people would recognize that there is a huge difference between the two.
I think most people would recognize that there are other needs during that wait time that are not accommodated by sitting near the attraction, which I have pointed out just a few legitimate medical needs that make waiting on a bench by the attraction not feasible and yet you seem to continue to think that is an acceptable solution, luckily for everyone that needs the DAS it isn't up to you, as the .they wouldn't get the help they actually need. Even though that help does require more walking, but not by their choice, due to the nature of the system

I think most people would recognize that there are other needs during that wait time that are not accommodated by sitting near the attraction, which I have pointed out just a few legitimate medical needs that make waiting on a bench by the attraction not feasible and yet you seem to continue to think that is an acceptable solution, luckily for everyone that needs the DAS it isn't up to you, as the .they wouldn't get the help they actually need. Even though that help does require more walking, but not by their choice, due to the nature of the system

They absolutely can get the help they require, I just don’t believe that most of the walking has to do with them taking care of medical needs, rather I believe that most of them are walking to get to other attractions.

Anyone that truly needs the wait time for medical needs wouldn’t have an issue with not being allowed to use FP during the wait, correct? That’s why I suggested using MDE to minimize walking, but not allowing FP during the wait.

The very long waits at alternate entrances for guests using wheelchairs is more an issue for Disneyland, because there are more inaccessible lines with alternate entrances there.
I personally have seen shortened waits at WDW alternate entrances now compared to before DAS.
One of the reasons is that they are giving out wheelchair return times for those attractions, which spreads guests out a little more. The other reason is that with the previous Guest Assistance Card (GAC), there were a lot of people who had the stamp allowing them to « use alternate entrance » even though they did not have mobility needs that required an accessible entrance. Many times before DAS, the majority of groups in those alternate entrances did not have mobility devices. Those people are now getting a DAS Return Time and coming back to the Fastpass line, so the majority of people using alternate entrances actually are needing the accessible entrance.

Also, it’s very possible for a guest to have mobility needs and use a wheelchair, but have other needs not met by the wheelchair that prevent them from waiting in line.

I personally have seen shortened waits at WDW alternate entrances now compared to before DAS.
One of the reasons is that they are giving out wheelchair return times for those attractions, which spreads guests out a little more. The other reason is that with the previous Guest Assistance Card (GAC), there were a lot of people who had the stamp allowing them to « use alternate entrance » even though they did not have mobility needs that required an accessible entrance. Many times before DAS, the majority of groups in those alternate entrances did not have mobility devices. Those people are now getting a DAS Return Time and coming back to the Fastpass line, so the majority of people using alternate entrances actually are needing the accessible entrance.

Also, it’s very possible for a guest to have mobility needs and use a wheelchair, but have other needs not met by the wheelchair that prevent them from waiting in line.

Just to say, many of the alternative entrances at Disney World however have been removed since DAS came in. Case an point is the Haunted Mansion which had two alternative options which I utilised in the past - I am registered blind but have central vision and moving through the shrinking room is extremely difficult and causes me major anixety attacks due to the funnelling of the crowds. Since they brought in DAS the side entrance and the back entrance are no longer used for guest access and the normal queue line is used. This means I actually can't use the ride at all now so therefore miss out. I don't ride many rides so not sure whether this there are lots of others that have also changing their alternative entrances making it less accessible in this way or not but it is also a factor.

Just to say, many of the alternative entrances at Disney World however have been removed since DAS came in. Case an point is the Haunted Mansion which had two alternative options which I utilised in the past - I am registered blind but have central vision and moving through the shrinking room is extremely difficult and causes me major anixety attacks due to the funnelling of the crowds. Since they brought in DAS the side entrance and the back entrance are no longer used for guest access and the normal queue line is used. This means I actually can't use the ride at all now so therefore miss out. I don't ride many rides so not sure whether this there are lots of others that have also changing their alternative entrances making it less accessible in this way or not but it is also a factor.
Tell the CM right when you get in side they will be on your right. That you need to skip the stretching room due to a disability they will tell you where to go wait and then when a CM comes tell them you need to use the exit. The HM is not one of my favorite ride but every time I have been able to do this. Hope you can ride it again

HUGE difference between being stuffed in a crowded line, hemmed in, closed in, with little ventilation( seriously, does anyone think those fans above do any good at all in the middle of august?!) and being able to sit down in a shady, quiet breezy out of the way area. ( not there are many of those any more either) and WRT to the comment that people who wish to avoid back tracking and long walks should just stay in the general area is not exactly out of line. there's always shopping, potty breaks, maybe a bite to eat , a street performer to enjoy that still keeps them in the vicinity of the attraction they are waiting to see. its no different in my mind than being nearby when your FP time comes up. but those are all choices you make. you could just as easily park your butt on the ground 50 feet away and wait until you DAS time.

its already been established that anyone can go grab the DAS return time, which has already been good news for a few people who have just found out they can eliminate or reduce their own personal walking/backtracking. what people with a DAS choose to do while they are waiting is their own problem and if they don't like one aspect, they can change what they do.

If you explain your needs to the CM, they will take you through the alternate entrance, although you may have to enter the shrinking room (after everyone else has done so) and exit back out through the hallway, but they do this with service dogs because the ride must be stopped for the safety of the service dog and they have to load from back there.

Many of the other attractions still do have alternative entrances if you are insistent on needing to use them, but you need to explain why you need them, some of these are:
  • Rockin Roller Coaster
  • Tower of Terror
  • Buzz
  • Test Track
  • Finding Nemo

Last edited:
its already been established that anyone can go grab the DAS return time, which has already been good news for a few people who have just found out they can eliminate or reduce their own personal walking/backtracking. what people with a DAS choose to do while they are waiting is their own problem and if they don't like one aspect, they can change what they do.

it is this attitude that I am taking issue with, someone goes to Disney World by themselves, they legitimately need a DAS and get one. Let's say they have issues where they need to be able to get to the restroom quickly as an example, for whatever reasons those are. Let's also say they have mobility issues and for whatever reason do not have a wheelchair or ECV, some don't in this situation because having those can make it take substantially longer to get to the restroom when people get in the way.

Now they go to Kilimanjaro Safaris to get a return time (again just an example), their issue hits and they now need to go to the restroom during their wait time. They had originally planned to sit near the attraction and wait because of comments like this, but now they must walk to the restrooms that are a fair distance away and walk back again. This is not something they choose to do, so don't keep saying they have a choice in if they walk further than others or not, they don't.

Even if they had a mobility device, that is either more work on them (in the case of a manual chair) or more battery power used, either way, not a good thing and still not their choice to leave and come back.

Let's try....just for a minute....to remember that the folks who are using DAS are already at a disadvantage of some form. It's getting a little frustrating to see so many comments that seem to be forming "solutions" as though DAS users are fully able-bodied/able-minded.

OF COURSE there will always be a handful who do take advantage. But it's not the majority.

I think this is where the disconnect is. I bet a good chunk of visitors have some kind of "disadvantage" or another. Either age and arthritis has slowed them down, they are very young and can't stay in the parks as long, have mental disabilities, physical disabilities, bathroom issue, heat sensitivity, etc, etc. The list can go on and on. What you are trying to tell us is everyone is supposed to feel bad for or treat different only certain people. It is like some of you are acting like "my disability is worse then yours". DAS is a great compromise for those who have issues. Maybe some people still will not be able to do everything even with it. Nobody is guaranteed a "perfect" visit where you can do everything you want, the weather will be perfect, you will never have to wait, etc. Even those without issues have bad things happen to them. They get sick or injured. The best thing a person can do is to enjoy what they are able to do, even if it is not "perfect". Focusing on what you are NOT able to do is what makes a person angry and bitter.

• You go to ride say Space Mountain at 10 AM as your first ride of the day using the DAS, you are allowed to enter the FP queue right away with no return time, but the standby line is 60 minutes.
  • So before using the DAS a second time, you have to wait 60 minutes from when you entered the queue.
I guess I don't know why you think that the first ride of the day for a DAS user is instant? It is not. You have to go and set up the DAS at the ride and they give you the return time, not instant access. I think you misunderstand how it works.

I guess I don't know why you think that the first ride of the day for a DAS user is instant? It is not. You have to go and set up the DAS at the ride and they give you the return time, not instant access. I think you misunderstand how it works.

He's not saying that it works that way now. He's suggesting a new way for it to work.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter