It's official...ABD is going to Japan!

If you use HBO Go, I think you should still be able to do this with ExpressVPN, as they have US servers you can log into. I remember doing this a couple years ago and it worked fine as long as there was a strong enough wifi/cellular connection. Unless you have unlimited cellular overseas, be sure to stay on wifi. I'll be doing this as well to catch the final GoT episodes on the long bus rides. If you try it, let me know if the trick still works.
Thanks! I have HBO Now, which is the independent streaming service. I was toying with the idea of getting ExpressVPN again (I had it for China because it was *necessary*!) I'll let you know what happens.

@sayhello - I only checked the TV listings in Kyoto & there was no HBO at that hotel.
Thanks!

Sayhello

Does anybody know if HBO is available in Japan? The chance of me going from May 19th to June 2nd without someone spoiling the final episode for me is probably pretty miniscule. :(

Sayhello

I will be in Ireland for the last two episodes of Game of Thrones and have the same concerns as you. I have tested my HBO GO App using my Express VPN connected to various USA cities without any problems. Just don't forget your passwords.

Enjoy Japan!!! We will heading there with ABD at the end of September.

I will be in Ireland for the last two episodes of Game of Thrones and have the same concerns as you. I have tested my HBO GO App using my Express VPN connected to various USA cities without any problems. Just don't forget your passwords.

Enjoy Japan!!! We will heading there with ABD at the end of September.
Cool, thanks! I'd hate to make it all the way through 8 seasons and have someone spoil the very ending for me! :)

Sayhello

I’m leaving for a three week British Isles/Faroes cruise on Wednesday and I’m doubtful I’ll have the bandwidth to be able to watch. I am going to have to stay away from all social media! DD19 returned to Uni in England on Saturday and was threatening to drop out when she couldn’t find HBO. Fortunately the crisis was averted when she realized it was on Now TV :)

So I'm supposed to have the same Adventure Guides as the inaugural trip for my departure (James & Tomomi). :) Did either of them take Paypal or Venmo or something, or did you end up tipping them both in cash? Did you give James USD or Yen? I assume Yen for Tomomi?

Thanks!
Sayhello

So I'm supposed to have the same Adventure Guides as the inaugural trip for my departure (James & Tomomi). :) Did either of them take Paypal or Venmo or something, or did you end up tipping them both in cash? Did you give James USD or Yen? I assume Yen for Tomomi?

Thanks!
Sayhello
I think you will like them, both were awesome. I gave them cash, US dollars for both as did not want to have to try to figure out the yen equivalent to give them the same. I didn’t ask if they took PayPal; when we got the AbD duffle at checkin there were two of the gratuity envelopes and no mention of PayPal,

I think you will like them, both were awesome. I gave them cash, US dollars for both as did not want to have to try to figure out the yen equivalent to give them the same. I didn’t ask if they took PayPal; when we got the AbD duffle at checkin there were two of the gratuity envelopes and no mention of PayPal,
We did the same-- US currency. We thought about Yen, but figured both guides either have bank accounts in Japan or will return to work for Disney in the states, so had options for the cash and probably not a big conversion loss. I wouldn't sweat it. Another upside to carrying the tip money (safely stored in the room safe) is having an emergency fund you could dip into if needed-- and if that happened, go to an ATM at the end of the trip for tip money.

We did the same-- US currency. We thought about Yen, but figured both guides either have bank accounts in Japan or will return to work for Disney in the states, so had options for the cash and probably not a big conversion loss. I wouldn't sweat it. Another upside to carrying the tip money (safely stored in the room safe) is having an emergency fund you could dip into if needed-- and if that happened, go to an ATM at the end of the trip for tip money.
That's a very good point! Thanks!

Sayhello

Both James and Tomomi accepted their gratuities by PayPal. I don't like carrying large amounts of cash, so we only withdrew what we needed from ATMs at 7-11's for souvenirs and incidentals. I would guess that we spent around $250 in cash over the course of the trip and the rest was on credit cards, which were accepted a lot of places. Visa was the most preferred card, but a lot of places took American Express, including the Tokyo Disney Resort. Vending machines are everywhere, and generally take coins. Most drinks ranged from 120-160 yen.

Last edited:
Both James and Tomomi accepted their gratuities by PayPal. I don't like carrying large amounts of cash, so we only withdrew what we needed from ATMs at 7-11's for souvenirs and incidentals. I would guess that we spent around $250 in cash over the course of the trip and the rest was on credit cards, which were accepted a lot of places. Visa was the most preferred card, but a lot of places took American Express, including the Tokyo Disney Resort. Vending machines are everywhere, and generally take coins. Most drinks ranged from 120-160 yen.
Yay!! Thank you so much for that! I'm very happy not to have to shlep cash around, and just give my Guides the money they deserve with no muss or fuss!

Did they give you their Paypal information, or did you need to ask them for it?

Thanks again,
Sayhello

Yay!! Thank you so much for that! I'm very happy not to have to shlep cash around, and just give my Guides the money they deserve with no muss or fuss!

Did they give you their Paypal information, or did you need to ask them for it?

Thanks again,
Sayhello

We just pulled them aside and asked what forms of payment they accepted, and they gave us their e-mail addresses for PayPal.

Does anyone know if James will do the whole season? And who the US guide might be when they are running trips each week?
James was our very first ABD guide 9 years ago - it would be awesome to have him again, but don’t want to get too excited about the possibility in case it is someone else!

Does anyone know if James will do the whole season? And who the US guide might be when they are running trips each week?
James was our very first ABD guide 9 years ago - it would be awesome to have him again, but don’t want to get too excited about the possibility in case it is someone else!
Some of the trips overlap, so he's not going to be able to do all of the trips. If you call ABD, they can tell you who's currently assigned to Guide your departure. It's always subject to change, but at least you'd have an idea.

Sayhello

I noticed this in the FAQ for Egypt. I'm going to have to check and see if it's been added to all of the FAQs (bolding mine):

Gratuities for your Adventure Guides may be paid in U.S dollars, local currency or via PayPal. Please check with your Adventure Guides for their preferred method of payment.

Sayhello

ETA: Nope. I looked at Japan, and it just said this: The Adventure Guides gratuity can be paid in U.S dollars or local currency.

Someone mentioned earlier that the guides found Onsens that allowed Tatoos… since the hotel ABD uses does not. Did you have fellow Adventurers with Tatoos that went to these Onsens? And how did that work? I am one of those travelers willing to go outside my comfort zone and try new experiences. But don't want to be the only person to have to travel off and find them. (if that makes sense)

Someone mentioned earlier that the guides found Onsens that allowed Tatoos… since the hotel ABD uses does not. Did you have fellow Adventurers with Tatoos that went to these Onsens? And how did that work? I am one of those travelers willing to go outside my comfort zone and try new experiences. But don't want to be the only person to have to travel off and find them. (if that makes sense)
I don't think anyone took them up on that offer

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter