It's official...ABD is going to Japan!

Going great! Mathmagicland's report is pretty comprehensive. I'll probably do a short tips/summary when we are back in the States. The ABD reps are paying close attention-- minor tweaks to happen, but overall this is a very immersive trip and jam-packed!
Yay! So glad it's going well! :) Have they told you what the tweaks are going to be?

Sayhello

Yay! So glad it's going well! :) Have they told you what the tweaks are going to be?

Sayhello
Better headsets for one (it has been hard to hear the local local guides-- need to stand near them to catch everything as the listening devices don't pick up the guide voice very well-- and to get away from the chatter of some guests who either gave up on the headset or just ignore the guides). Overall I have been very impressed with the thought that went into the itinerary.

Better headsets for one (it has been hard to hear the local local guides-- need to stand near them to catch everything as the listening devices don't pick up the guide voice very well-- and to get away from the chatter of some guests who either gave up on the headset or just ignore the guides). Overall I have been very impressed with the thought that went into the itinerary.
Yay! :) I am *SO* excited to hear more when you get back!

Sayhello

I don’t really want to do a full trip report. I think it’s better for you to experience the Adventure on your own without spoilers. I did want to share a few observations and tips from the trip which may not be in the brochure. I hope you all find these useful.

-No international travel adapters are needed at any of the hotels. They also all have good free WiFi available.

-The onsens in Takayama (and other hotels) are totally nude. No swimsuits or tattoos are permitted. There are separate areas for men and women. You are expected to bathe nude and publicly before getting into the onsen.

-There is a 4 hour bus ride from Kyoto to Takayama. There is a quick break halfway through.

-The outdoor temperatures consistently feels at least 10 degrees warmer than reported on The Weather Channel. Humidity is usually high. This was April, so I can only imagine how warm it’s going to be later in the year.

-Some people dressed up for a couple of the nicer dinners out, but you certainly don’t have to dress up for anything on the trip.

-Trash cans are not common in public restrooms and on the street. You take all your trash with you and dispose of it in your hotel or on the bus.

-Napkins and paper towels are not common in restaurants and restrooms. Public restrooms may have hand dryers or nothing at all. You are usually given a large wet wipe at restaurants before a meal.

-All hotel toilets, and many of those in public restrooms, have heated seats with bidet/wash functions.

-We had to pack an overnight bag between Takayama and Odwara, because our large bags were sent directly to The Peninsula Tokyo from Takayama. This may change due to a lot of negative feedback from the group.

-There is an over 5 hour bus ride between Takayama and Odwara. In fact, you’ll be spending a lot of time on a bus on this trip.

-There are a lot of restaurants and activities where you have to remove your shoes. It’s best to wear socks every day.

-You will never be cold anywhere. The Japanese seem to keep buildings warm.

-The Japanese people are kind, considerate, and very orderly. Everything runs precisely on time. I really enjoyed this part of their culture. It was even like that in the theme parks. Imagine going to the Magic Kingdom where people wait patiently for their turn for everything and children aren’t screaming. Most children were not in strollers, either. It was very nice.

I don’t really want to do a full trip report. I think it’s better for you to experience the Adventure on your own without spoilers. I did want to share a few observations and tips from the trip which may not be in the brochure. I hope you all find these useful.

-No international travel adapters are needed at any of the hotels. They also all have good free WiFi available.

-The onsens in Takayama (and other hotels) are totally nude. No swimsuits or tattoos are permitted. There are separate areas for men and women. You are expected to bathe nude and publicly before getting into the onsen.

-There is a 4 hour bus ride from Kyoto to Takayama. There is a quick break halfway through.

-The outdoor temperatures consistently feels at least 10 degrees warmer than reported on The Weather Channel. Humidity is usually high. This was April, so I can only imagine how warm it’s going to be later in the year.

-Some people dressed up for a couple of the nicer dinners out, but you certainly don’t have to dress up for anything on the trip.

-Trash cans are not common in public restrooms and on the street. You take all your trash with you and dispose of it in your hotel or on the bus.

-Napkins and paper towels are not common in restaurants and restrooms. Public restrooms may have hand dryers or nothing at all. You are usually given a large wet wipe at restaurants before a meal.

-All hotel toilets, and many of those in public restrooms, have heated seats with bidet/wash functions.

-We had to pack an overnight bag between Takayama and Odwara, because our large bags were sent directly to The Peninsula Tokyo from Takayama. This may change due to a lot of negative feedback from the group.

-There is an over 5 hour bus ride between Takayama and Odwara. In fact, you’ll be spending a lot of time on a bus on this trip.

-There are a lot of restaurants and activities where you have to remove your shoes. It’s best to wear socks every day.

-The Japanese people are kind, considerate, and very orderly. Everything runs precisely on time. I really enjoyed this part of their culture. It was even like that in the theme parks. Imagine going to the Magic Kingdom where people wait patiently for their turn for everything and children aren’t screaming. Most children were not in strollers, either. It was very nice.
I would only add that the onsen was an interesting experience-- I heard that the guides found one in town that allowed tattoos. As for socjs-- we carried a pair in our backpack, so never really worried about that. Definitely get to DisneySea if you have never been-- amazing detail! As for long bus rides, not much can be done about that-- interesting sites along the way, and seeing more of the country well worth it! Great trip-- very curious to see what gets tweaked, and how the family trips work out.

Thanks for all the info! It's very useful. Guess I'll return those adapters I bought. :)

Did you encounter any squatty toilets like they have in China? Someone told me they were common, and I'm not sure I'm mentally prepared for that!

I hope they change the overnight bag thing in time for my trip. I never do well with that kind of thing!

Everyone says the same thing about the Japanese people! I am SO looking forward to that!

I would only add that the onsen was an interesting experience-- I heard that the guides found one in town that allowed tattoos. As for socjs-- we carried a pair in our backpack, so never really worried about that. Definitely get to DisneySea if you have never been-- amazing detail! As for long bus rides, not much can be done about that-- interesting sites along the way, and seeing more of the country well worth it! Great trip-- very curious to see what gets tweaked, and how the family trips work out.
So you did the onsen? What did you think, besides "interesting"? Did most folks do it?

Sayhello

Did you encounter any squatty toilets like they have in China? Someone told me they were common, and I'm not sure I'm mentally prepared for that!

A trick we learned is if the bathroom had squat toilets the handicapped stall usually had a western toilet.

Thanks for all the info! It's very useful. Guess I'll return those adapters I bought. :)

I hope they change the overnight bag thing in time for my trip. I never do well with that kind of thing!

Everyone says the same thing about the Japanese people! I am SO looking forward to that!

So you did the onsen? What did you think, besides "interesting"? Did most folks do it?

Sayhello
I liked it-- once I got the hang of the customs involved. I think only a few if us did it. I found it very relaxing, and am glad for the experience!

I didn’t do the onsen. I just wasn’t comfortable with that setup.

There are a mix of squatty potties and regular potties. Most bathrooms have at least one Western toilet. They are generally marked with an icon on the door.

One other thing I forgot to mention:

All of the hotel rooms, with the exception of The Peninsula Tokyo, have twin beds. They are bigger than a US twin, but maybe smaller than a full size. In any case, you probably won’t be sleeping with your partner, except at The Peninsula Tokyo. This appears to be the standard across Japan, because we asked about it before the trip. Embrace your inner Lucy and Ricky.

Also, the mattresses seem to be very firm at all of the hotels.

We've been on ten ABD trips and this ranks right at the top. I will be interested to see how this trip shakes out over the warmer months and how the itinerary works for families traveling with children. All the advice and comments above seem spot on.
That is awesome to hear!!! i was a little worried after PP didn't mention that :) Super helpful info though!!!

For anyone wandering on their own - you will also find trash cans in the metro stations (as well as public restrooms if you need one and don't want to pop in somewhere for a drink or food) as well as at convenience stores if you're in a pinch with something gooey that you can't carry.

For anyone wandering on their own - you will also find trash cans in the metro stations (as well as public restrooms if you need one and don't want to pop in somewhere for a drink or food) as well as at convenience stores if you're in a pinch with something gooey that you can't carry.
And speaking of convenience stores-- the guides said food at 7-11s was pretty good, and they were right! I went for a light lunch-- lots of choices, so a good quick option. (But, you'll have trash to carry-- and most public bathrooms had hand blowers and no trash cans, so forget about that option). On the other hand, the Tokyo Disneyland and DisneySea parks had trash cans everywhere, and lots of interesting food options including flavored popcorn and "churros" made with potatoes.

And speaking of convenience stores-- the guides said food at 7-11s was pretty good, and they were right! I went for a light lunch-- lots of choices, so a good quick option. (But, you'll have trash to carry-- and most public bathrooms had hand blowers and no trash cans, so forget about that option). On the other hand, the Tokyo Disneyland and DisneySea parks had trash cans everywhere, and lots of interesting food options including flavored popcorn and "churros" made with potatoes.

Yesssss! Get the gyoza sausage bun also.

https://tdrexplorer.com/gyoza-sausage-bun-review/

Does anybody know if HBO is available in Japan? The chance of me going from May 19th to June 2nd without someone spoiling the final episode for me is probably pretty miniscule. :(

Sayhello

Does anybody know if HBO is available in Japan? The chance of me going from May 19th to June 2nd without someone spoiling the final episode for me is probably pretty miniscule. :(

Sayhello

If you use HBO NOW, I think you should still be able to do this with ExpressVPN, as they have US servers you can log into. I remember doing this a couple years ago and it worked fine as long as there was a strong enough wifi/cellular connection. Unless you have unlimited cellular overseas, be sure to stay on wifi. I'll be doing this as well to catch the final GoT episodes on the long bus rides. If you try it, let me know if the trick still works.

Last edited:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!