Is there no Water Ice in WDW?

It's an Italian Ice.
It's also called water ice, whether you like the name or not. We didn't make the name up, it just exists and I knew exactly what the OP was referring to from the title. I accept that other areas don't call it that. Like pop and soda.... we call it soda.

It's also called water ice, whether you like the name or not. We didn't make the name up, it just exists and I knew exactly what the OP was referring to from the title. I accept that other areas don't call it that. Like pop and soda.... we call it soda.

I know it's a real name. I've heard it. I grew up in NJ. We called it Italian ice.

I was just saying it is a dumb name. That's my opinion.

I know it's a real name. I've heard it. I grew up in NJ. We called it Italian ice.

I was just saying it is a dumb name. That's my opinion.
I get it.... you were just posting about your dislike of the name.

OP, I think the Kaki gori in Japan is your best bet. It's basically a shaved ice with flavoring, and it's delicious.

Water Ice is a thing. I have had it in Philly I believe when I was much younger.
2.jpg

unnamed.jpg

I get it.... you were just posting about your dislike of the name.

OP, I think the Kaki gori in Japan is your best bet. It's basically a shaved ice with flavoring, and it's delicious.
Yes, great minds think alike. Exactly why I suggested it early on, as a possible viable substitute.

Last edited:
Water Ice, Italian ice, granita and sorbet are regional and mostly the only difference is the amount of suger. More suger gives a softer feel.

Agree though Disney needs more wooder ice 😉 and porkroll
Taylor Ham! ;) :rotfl2:

I think the Kaki gori in Japan is your best bet. It's basically a shaved ice with flavoring
Shaved ice and water ice are two entirely different things.

Shaved ice is plain unflavored ice that they pour syrup over. KakiGori or snow cones are that. It's also typically much coarser and crunchier.

Water ice is actually flavored ice. It's also very fine and smooth, not crunchy at all. You can just lick it or use a spoon. No biting or chewing needed.

I love water ice. I hate shaved ice.

I used to get water ice at Downtown Disney sometimes though not often because they charged way more than it costs at home.

not really
Hmm, I disagree. I can see the simile personally. "Water Ice is like calling ice cream milk cream."

If we called ice cream "milk cream", we'd be saying this is creamed milk, and we'd leave out anything else special about it.

When we call Italian Ice "water ice", we are saying it's iced (as in iced over, or frozen, NOT covered in icing/frosting ;) ) water and we leave out anything else special about it. :)

Personally, I find regional names for things to be fun. Shall we talk about heroes/gyros/grinders/subs/hoagies next? ;)

Shaved ice and water ice are two entirely different things.
Yes, I'm aware they are different, which is why I said it's the Op's best bet.... as I've not seen Italian ice or water ice in WDW other than a Rita's (which I couldn't even say where a Rita's is near Orlando). I was explaining that kakigori is basically shaved ice with flavor. But I definitely know the difference between a snow cone and Italian ice. :thumbsup2 And yes, the kakigori is grainy, but still delicious and the closest thing I've found to any sort of ice... Italian or water in Disney.

i live in the philly area! when i went to wdw last august there was a "martocci's water ice" cart on the west side of disney springs
Oh, I don't remember seeing this. What is it near?

Shall we talk about heroes/gyros/grinders/subs/hoagies next?
:laughing:

When I see "water ice," I think about how ice on other planets can be made from other things, and how Europa, for example, has water ice, or ice consisting of water. Definitely not a dessert/snack food.

Never heard of water ice. I grew up in the Chicago area and it was called Italian ice.

Oh, I don't remember seeing this. What is it near?

:laughing:

All ears.net had this info:

“There are at least 2 Italian Ice Kiosks. One is located in the Marketplace next to the Waterside Stage and the other in the West Side near Cirque du Soleil.”

But it’s not listed as “water ice”.

The name water ice is the worst possible name for this treat. It's an Italian Ice. Water ice is like calling ice cream "milk cream."
As others said it's a regional thing. Just like shaved ice with flavoring poured over it in Louisiana is called snoball

Last edited:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter