I'm paying how much a night and I can't take a shower? My recent poor service experience.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Good vent, poor complaint letter, which should clearly state only pertinent informations, have no emotion, be as concise as possible, and ask for something specific.

My MIL has a cane, my FIL has a cane, they always ask for a handicap room, at every hotel they stay at. I'm guessing the resort didn't have the equipment you needed.

OP, I am so sorry this happened to you. I cannot imagine the emotions through. For that, I want to hug you.

It seems a solution that could have been offered would be to get you the phone number of a medical supply rental company. I doubt Disney could rent it for you due to liability, but they could offer you a room credit equal to the cost of renting.

I wish you all the best in your recovery!

I don't think Disney would owe them a room credit equal to the cost of renting medical supplies. They have no way of knowing ahead of time what sort of medical equipment a guest might need, so why should they have to pay when what they have doesn't suit? Now if the OP had booked an HA room and one wasn't available, and they offered the equipment which didn't work, then that would be something they should credit them for.

The reason I booked a regular room at the Poly is because I did my homework first. I called and explained what I needed. They said a regular room would be fine and they would deliver he equipment when we arrived.
Again when I booked WL, I asked again and was told the exact same thing. Call housekeeping when you get there.

It was not luck at all. It was prior planning and calling ahead.
I don't understand how this equipment turns a regular tub into a handicap accessible walk in shower?
You should have booked a Handicap room at WL
I agree with another poster-letter should be compact-just the facts...I didn't read it all- its way way way too long

Oh, OP.... Don't look for sympathy or empathy on these boards. Some of these responses border on the unbelievable.

I for one find the service you received appalling. I'll leave it at that.

I don't think anyone is being mean, but there's absolutely a discussion to be had here. I think since OP is putting this on blast on social media that giving feedback regarding the quality and length of the letter is appropriate.

Secondarily, there's a discussion about what Disney should and shouldn't provide and another discussion about how customer service people can actually service this customer.

The front desk people likely can't do a darn thing about what items they have available for use at the resort. OP was right to complain, because the equipment she was given was unsafe, but I think that to have gotten anywhere she was going to have spend a lot of her vacation to take it up resort management chain because the desk clerk and housekeeping can only arrange for her to have what's on hand.

Disney shouldn't provide unsafe assistive equipment. They just shouldn't. However, if they provide basic equipment that is safe and a guest would prefer an alternative, it should be up to them to arrange it.

I don't think anyone is being mean, but there's absolutely a discussion to be had here. I think since OP is putting this on blast on social media that giving feedback regarding the quality and length of the letter is appropriate.

Secondarily, there's a discussion about what Disney should and shouldn't provide and another discussion about how customer service people can actually service this customer.

The front desk people likely can't do a darn thing about what items they have available for use at the resort. OP was right to complain, because the equipment she was given was unsafe, but I think that to have gotten anywhere she was going to have spend a lot of her vacation to take it up resort management chain because the desk clerk and housekeeping can only arrange for her to have what's on hand.

Disney shouldn't provide unsafe assistive equipment. They just shouldn't. However, if they provide basic equipment that is safe and a guest would prefer an alternative, it should be up to them to arrange it.

It's not the equipment that is unsafe IMO. It was using it in a way it wasn't designed that was unsafe. Chairs are safe. Putting a chair on top of a ladder is not. That does not make the chair unsafe.

I agree with your comments, and find them helpful. However, that's not the case with many of the ugly comments I've read here.

It's not the equipment that is unsafe IMO. It was using it in a way it wasn't designed that was unsafe. Chairs are safe. Putting a chair on top of a ladder is not. That does not make the chair unsafe.
How is using a toilet riser on a toilet not using it in the way it was designed? They had a riser, but it wasn't a riser made for the shape of the toilet bowl that was in the room...that's on Disney for not providing the right equipment for what they have in their rooms.

As I understood it from earlier in this thread, the toilets in the accessible rooms are already raised, so they wouldn't need to provide a toilet riser for accessible rooms, just the non-accessible rooms.

FWIW, I can see what you're saying with regards to the shower chair, but not the toilet riser.

Though, to be fair, if you google "shower chair bathtub" there are plenty used in regular bathtubs as well...so I don't think it's entirely fair to think that shower chairs should only be used in walk in showers either.

How is using a toilet riser on a toilet not using it in the way it was designed? They had a riser, but it wasn't a riser made for the shape of the toilet bowl that was in the room

That's exactly how.

Again, the riser is perfectly safe. If used on the right shape toilet bowl....

That's exactly how.

Again, the riser is perfectly safe. If used on the right shape toilet bowl....

But how is that the OP's fault? The situation was unsafe because Disney provided the wrong equipment for what they had in their rooms.

ETA: And when the OP brought the problem to their attention, they did not have a replacement that was made for the correct bowl..not sure how that responsibility lies with anyone other than Disney?

But how is that the OP's fault? The situation was unsafe because Disney provided the wrong equipment for what they had in their rooms.

ETA: And when the OP brought the problem to their attention, they did not have a replacement that was made for the correct bowl..not sure how that responsibility lies with anyone other than Disney?

Let me be clear:

Fault 1: it is the OP's fault for not getting an HA room.
Fault 2: it is Disney's (the CM's) fault for offering wrong equipment for standard room.
Fault 3: it is the OP's fault for trying to use the wrong equipment in a way it wasn't meant to be used.

Disney should not have offered her anything if they didn't have the right equipment. I'm sure it was a case of a well-meaning CM not knowing what he/she was doing when they handed it out.

Again, the "equipment" is not at fault and doesn't need to be replaced. The OP was using it in a way it was not intended.

If room service delivered a bowl of soup with a knife and no spoon to eat it with, would you complain the knives didn't work right?

Let me be clear:

Fault 2: it is Disney's (the CM's) fault for offering wrong equipment for standard room.
Fault 3: it is the OP's fault for trying to use the wrong equipment in a way it wasn't meant to be used.

Disney should not have offered her anything if they didn't have the right equipment. I'm sure it was a case of a well-meaning CM not knowing what he/she was doing when they handed it out.

Again, the "equipment" is not at fault and doesn't need to be replaced. The OP was using it in a way it was not intended.

If room service delivered a bowl of soup with a knife and no spoon to eat it with, would you complain the knives didn't work right?

Again, a toilet riser would not be necessary at all in an accessible room if the toilets are already raised (which was stated previously in this thread that they are already raised). So the ONLY use for them would be in a standard room. So if the only use for a toilet riser would be in a standard room, then how is the equipment NOT at fault when the equipment doesn't fit the toilet that's installed in the room?

The OP wasn't trying to use the wrong equipment...she was using what Disney gave her. When she found it wasn't correct for the room, she brought it to them, and they said that's all they had. How can they only have toilet risers for bowl shapes that are incompatible with the bowl shapes in the room, and that not be on Disney?

As for #1 - The OP has said she spoke with Disney before both trips. She proceeded to book the rooms in the manner that Disney told her to. They said they were able to accommodate her needs in a standard room, and to request the equipment at check in. She did so.

Yeah, I know the whole line about not being able to trust phone CMs...but if I call any resort asking about disability information, yes I expect they will give correct information. If they don't, that is on the company, not on the guest.

Let me be clear:

WOW! Clearly you have never used any adaptive equipment and have no idea what you are talking about.

Fault 1 - Not my fault. I don't need a HA room. I called, I asked, I verified. I just need equipment that they previously had readily available.
Fault 2 - We agree.
Fault 3 - I had to make it work. I had no other options. Poop on the floor? Maybe the bed instead?

Here is the important part that someone needs to read because there is a liability suit waiting to happen. Not kidding.

Based on this line alone, I'm sure this has been sent along to their attorneys and it's out of CS hands. This could well be taken as a threat and I'm sure any response (assuming there is one) will be from legal or run by them. May take a while to hear anything.....

My husband walked with a cane and used a shower chair. We booked HA rooms, plain and simple. We knew he needed the chair so why take a chance of something getting screwed up. If you need those items, it it safe to say you need a HA room...simple logic. Disney is not to blame because you decided to go without and ask for what equipment they had to spare.

Unfortunately, it would appear that you might at this point in your recovery.

No, just the toilet. I got the impression that using the incorrect aids were more dangerous for you than using nothing at all. Perhaps I was mistaken.

Knowing I could deal with it [it being the toilet riser] by being careful I gave up the fight.

I was perfectly sufficient at the Poly. It was not at the Wilderness Lodge. Thus the topic of this post.
My balance is better but not perfect. I was referencing getting on and off the toilet. Yes, I can do that fairly well (I will also draw you a picture if you want). Anyone who couldn't apply pressure equally with both hands would likely fall over. This is far different that standing in a slippery wet shower. My balance is definitely not there yet.

She stated more than once that she could deal with the toilet riser as it was. She also stated that the incorrect riser would be a significant problem for others.

I was merely pointing out that the equipment itself was neither "faulty" nor "dangerous" as the OP said.
The situation created by the incorrect equipment is absolutely a safety problem. It is Disney's responsibility to provide correct equipment for their facilities, no one else's.

Why do you find it insulting to need an HA room during your recovery? Obviously you were not able to safely use a standard room, hence your original post. My mother requires an HA room. I don't feel like I am insulting her at all when I book it for her. Sorry you took it that way.
Whatever. You clearly don't get it. It's not the HA suggestion that is insulting. You basically called me a liar. I called. I told them what I needed. They said a regular room with equipment would be fine. It was fine at the Poly. Why would I have any expectation that it would be different this time. And I did call AGAIN to verify.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter