I'm paying how much a night and I can't take a shower? My recent poor service experience.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Thanks for finding one thread on the board. I should think that prior experience 6 weeks earlier at Disney would probably be more credible than a message board post, and calling disney disability directly but that's just me.
Yet you know the DIS well enough to splash your experience here because the DIS loves this sort of thing. Do you also do no outside research on other trips, purchases, etc?
It was 3 days in before we knew they didn't have anything we needed. At that point it would have taken another day to get equipment delivered. I was over it and already taking sink baths. What's 3 more days at that point?
You don't know how quickly a medical equipment rental company could have delivered what you need. It could easily have been the same day. Even if you had to wait another night, "three more days at that point" is three days you could have comfortably and safely showered.

I can understand why you are frustrated. I have spoken to less than helpful people (in general) on call lines when I call them for their 'specialty' and it is frustrating to get the canned response, even though I know their job is to read it. The insurance company is the worst. This kind of response from them just makes you feel worse. Especially since you called and flat asked

I think you know they won't do anything. Probably won't change what they have available, but probably won't offer it anymore except in accessible rooms. If the seat was that unstable they probably got several complaints.

The moral of the story (which I'm sorry won't help you this past time) is that when you or your child have special needs you have to meet the needs yourself. Any company, hotel, restaurant, etc is only as helpful as the worker you are dealing with wants to be. If they are having a bad day, being poorly paid, just doesn't care, we are putting our health in their hands. Sadly you really can't depend on someone else for things you must have.

I can understand why you are frustrated. I have spoken to less than helpful people (in general) on call lines when I call them for their 'specialty' and it is frustrating to get the canned response, even though I know their job is to read it. The insurance company is the worst. This kind of response from them just makes you feel worse. Especially since you called and flat asked

I think you know they won't do anything. Probably won't change what they have available, but probably won't offer it anymore except in accessible rooms. If the seat was that unstable they probably got several complaints.

The moral of the story (which I'm sorry won't help you this past time) is that when you or your child have special needs you have to meet the needs yourself. Any company, hotel, restaurant, etc is only as helpful as the worker you are dealing with wants to be. If they are having a bad day, being poorly paid, just doesn't care, we are putting our health in their hands. Sadly you really can't depend on someone else for things you must have.
I am learning this. Only been at this disability thing for about 6 months. I have way more respect and awareness of ADA compliance. Also - most everyone is wonderful. I can't tell you how many times someone has stopped or even walked back to open a door for me with my walker. Human kindness is alive and well even if you can't tell from this post!

I guess I expected more from Disney. Especially since our first trip with needs was so successful. This was the opposite on every level. There should not be such a dichotomy.

I have a muscular disease that has worsened over the years. I haven't read the whole thread but read enough of the OP's post to be disturbed by it. I have never felt it was Disney's responsibility to provide me with the equipment I need. I know they do supply shower chairs but the one they gave me once wasn't the type I needed & you can't be sure they'll have one available. I bring my own. My husband takes it apart & puts it in a large suitcase. Disney is not in the business of supplying medical equipment. They should not be expected to have every kind of equipment available in quantities to meet every guests needs. They provide HA rooms & it's my responsibility to make sure the room I book will meet my needs. If not, I'll bring or rent what I need to make it work. Blaming Disney for your problems & threatening them is very unfair. That's what leads to disabled people being seen in a negative way. It really bothers me to see someone making such unrealistic demands. I'm sorry you're having a rough time dealing with your physical condition & hope that you improve. If not, you'll soon learn to make sure you have what you need when you travel.

It was 3 days in before we knew they didn't have anything we needed. At that point it would have taken another day to get equipment delivered. I was over it and already taking sink baths. What's 3 more days at that point?

No, they sent you the equipment right away, and you knew it wouldn't work for you. You then continued to ask for new equipment, and they continued to bring you what they had.

Sure I got a call from the unhelpful agent who says that her supervisor won't talk to me and that she can't do anything. Someone else will call me in 3-5 business days. I guess that's a response.
You had not given them even three business days before following through on your threat to share your negative experience.
To sit on that unstable chair? No. And I cannot stand in a slippery tub.
Now on to the shower chair. If you thought the toilet seat was bad, these are downright dangerous. The chair I was delivered was a small flat seat. No swivel, no ability to adjust height or width. As simple and cheap as you can buy. If you paid more than $10 for this at Walgreens, you got ripped off. On to the dangerous part. There is no way to safely transfer to the seat. If you hang it over the side of the tub it tips because the floor is lower than the tub. If you place it sideways so you could slide on to it, the tub is curved on the edges and wobbles. The only way to safely use it is to put it lengthwise in the middle of the tub.
So this description makes it seem that the shower chair is stable when placed lengthwise in the tub.

Would have been helpful if you'd included that detail at the time of your first post, and not waited until another poster had brought up that possibility.
Sure, I will edit my already too long message to include this as well. Thanks again for another helpful suggestion.
Well, that's not was suggested. You already sent that verbose diatribe. minnie mum' suggestion was for additional information in your original post - not in your e-mail.
No. Getting in and out of the tub is not possible at home and definitely not at Disney.
So apparently you have a separate shower at home. Never mind what your hotel was able to provide three months earlier. Common sense suggests needing a separate shower or shower only in a hotel as well.

There are different types of "accessible" rooms at WDW. Some are accessible for wheelchair users with roll-in showers. But not all. Some have features that may or may not have been helpful to the OP - for both the shower and the toilet. OP, I do suggest that you research HA rooms in the future and not just dismiss that option as something you don't need. It is true that there may not have been an accessible room available, either at the time you booked or once you arrived. Disney does have limited supply of some medical equipment; it cannot be reserved in advance and may not be the model/style needed by any given guest. There are medical supply companies that rent such equipment at a reasonable cost.

OP - I'm very glad you had a good experience for your visit in the fall. I think that lead to high expectations and misunderstanding about the level of accommodation that Disney can provide at every visit. The specific style equipment you needed may have already been in use by other guests, or may not have been available for any number of reasons. Disney does not have an obligation to provide you with exactly what you want free of charge, it is offered complimentary and based on availability. I'm very sorry that was never communicated to you when you tried to research accommodations for your needs. In my opinion it would have been more productive for them to suggest a rental once it became clear what was available did not meet your needs.

I am closing this thread since there really is nothing further that hasn't been mentioned.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter