I'm paying how much a night and I can't take a shower? My recent poor service experience.

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm not saying they did.

I asked a hypothetical question above (using the marriott example) and followed up with using the OP's situation as an example of someone who does not, evidently, need wheelchair specific accommodations, though she needs accommodations.

It was an attempt at trying to understand the rules of the ADA and whether or not simply not providing the medical equipment, as suggested above, is even a lawful option. It wasn't a commentary on the OP's exact situation.

Of course, disboards already has the answers to many of our questions:

http://www.disboards.com/threads/shower-chair-toilet-risers.3438045/#post-54225289

They would stay in an HA room. That's what the HA rooms are for. The root of this whole issue is the OP's insistence that she doesn't need an HA room.
The OP stated that she contacted Disney in advance with her needs and they told her to book standard and request accommodations. Lesson learned, I guess. Book a HA room in the future.

The OP stated that she contacted Disney in advance with her needs and they told her to book standard and request accommodations. Lesson learned, I guess. Book a HA room in the future.

We don't know exactly what she said or exactly what they said. I suspect if we knew, this would all make more sense than it does based on the lengthy, poorly structured rant at the beginning of this thread.

That's not true.

What she said was that the riser was for a round bowl toilet and the toilet in the room was enlongsted and the riser didn't fit the toilet and wouldn't lock on and applying uneven pressure to the grab bars could cause it to tip. She made it work because she didn't have a better option, but felt that someone with different needs than she would be at a considerable safety risk.

That's not safe. I don't see how you can argue that it is. Are you saying OP is lying about what was provided or how to use it? I have no idea how a toilet riser works, so I'll take OP's word for it that there are different risers to fit different shapes bowls and an improper fit doesn't allow it to lock onto the toilet.

I don't want to say the OP is lying because I don't believe that is the case but there are some toliet seat risers that are universal meaning they will fit most toliets. It is possible Disney uses the universal ones.

The big issue with Disney bathrooms is that if you need to transfer it can be very hard in a standard room in some locations and not others. I couldn't imagine trying to transfer at yacht or beach club because the toliet is in front on the bathroom and to close the door you have to enter the bathroom close the door and then sit on the toliet or get in shower. Now at the Poly the toliet was next to the shower/tub so it would have been a thousand times easier to do anything there.

I do agree with the PP that said this is probably bow un legal'a hands since a threat of liabity lawsuit was made even though there were no injuries.

We don't know exactly what she said or exactly what they said. I suspect if we knew, this would all make more sense than it does based on the lengthy, poorly structured rant at the beginning of this thread.
Just going by what she has stated. Hopefully her situation can prevent someone else from having the same issue. Rent your own equipment or get a HA room to ensure that you have what you need based on your own personal needs (not directed at you, OP, just in general)

Hopefully her situation can prevent someone else from having the same issue
My impression the first time I read her OP was that this was a good part of her intent...to prevent this situation from happening to someone else. (as many rants and complaints that are shared here on the DIS are).

My impression the first time I read her OP was that this was a good part of her intent...to prevent this situation from happening to someone else. (as many rants and complaints that are shared here on the DIS are).

That is most definitely NOT the impression I got:

"So that’s my tale. Thank you for your time if you read this far. It means that you are the type of Disney employee that we have known in the past and can count on to provide some resolution to the issues above. I’m going to wait until tomorrow before I splatter the message boards to see if I get a response to this email. I do want to give you a chance to have a positive outcome in the post. The DisBoards can get brutal and this is the kind of post that they love to trend. We trust that someone cares enough to reply to my message.""

The OP threatened to "splatter the message boards" if she didn't get what she wanted. And then Disney got back to her with an offer of free nights, and she did it anyway.

It's really interesting that planning and research is a no win situation sometimes. In one thread the person says they researched a situation and then when what they were advised wasn't accurate they are at fault for not just doing everything themselves without asking questions. In a different thread someone can admit to going into something blind and they are at fault for not doing research because Disney always has the answers. Certainly and interesting twist to things.

OP, I know how you feel -- the deluxes are pretty expensive these days. Seems like you don't get as much as you used to for your lodging dollar, but that's true no matter where you go.

"So that’s my tale. Thank you for your time if you read this far. It means that you are the type of Disney employee that we have known in the past and can count on to provide some resolution to the issues above. I’m going to wait until tomorrow before I splatter the message boards to see if I get a response to this email. I do want to give you a chance to have a positive outcome in the post. The DisBoards can get brutal and this is the kind of post that they love to trend. We trust that someone cares enough to reply to my message.""

The OP threatened to "splatter the message boards" if she didn't get what she wanted. And then Disney got back to her with an offer of free nights, and she did it anyway.
What I wanted was a response. Not compensation. BTW the offer of free night was given prior to the email. So that played zero role in the message. How could I have written about it in the email if it happened after my "threat"?

Looks like I was right in my prediction about this board. You are exactly the person I was talking about in my email. Negative, loves drama, loves to turn everything around and stir the pot.

It wasn't a threat. Its been 3 days and no reply. Some how I needed to get the message out to help others. What better way than the DIS?

I was speaking with regards to where she was telling Disney about things that would be safety issues for other guests even if they weren't for her specifically. But anyway. Would I have written that last bit? No, not personally. Too confrontational for me. But after how she was treated, I also think she has a right to be upset. You disagree and you're entitled to your opinion:flower3:

What I wanted was a response. Not compensation. BTW the offer of free night was given prior to the email. So that played zero role in the message. How could I have written about it in the email if it happened after my "threat"?

Looks like I was right in my prediction about this board. You are exactly the person I was talking about in my email. Negative, loves drama, loves to turn everything around and stir the pot.

It wasn't a threat. Its been 3 days and no reply. Some how I needed to get the message out to help others. What better way than the DIS?

You got a call back from the person directly!

"Follow up after this email. Audrey herself called me back."

The root of this issue is that the OP spoke with Disney and Disney assured her they could accommodate her in a standard room, and then they couldn't.

Let's be perfectly clear here. When the OP called the resort, you and I and just about every Diser knows perfectly well that she was not, in fact, speaking to a resort CM. Or even a CM at WDW. She was speaking to a drone in a call center somewhere who had likely never ever set foot inside the Poly or WL. That CM made a judgement call by assuming she had the knowledge as to whether or not the accommodations they had would be suitable for the OPs situation. She had no business making that assumption and making that recommendation in the first place.

We all know that phone CM's cannot be counted on for accurate information when it comes to the minutiae of resort life.

You got a call back from the person directly!

"Follow up after this email. Audrey herself called me back."
Sure I got a call from the unhelpful agent who says that her supervisor won't talk to me and that she can't do anything. Someone else will call me in 3-5 business days. I guess that's a response.

Let's be perfectly clear here. When the OP called the resort, you and I and just about every Diser knows perfectly well that she was not, in fact, speaking to a resort CM. Or even a CM at WDW. She was speaking to a drone in a call center somewhere who had likely never ever set foot inside the Poly or WL. That CM made a judgement call by assuming she had the knowledge as to whether or not the accommodations they had would be suitable for the OPs situation. She had no business making that assumption and making that recommendation in the first place.

We all know that phone CM's cannot be counted on for accurate information when it comes to the minutiae of resort life.

I don't know that she called the resort. She mentions in the OP specifically that she later called Disability Services directly. TBH, I was thinking that was the number she called in the first place. I could totally be wrong on that, but that's what my impression was.

ETA: I didn't go back and reread the thread, but I thought she just said she called "Disney" not that she called the hotel...again, could be recalling wrong, though. it's been a long day.

Since you threatened a lawsuit, it's not surprising.
I'm not threatening a lawsuit. I am letting them know that someone is going to be injured with that current equipment. Its only a matter of time. Even if I was injured I wouldn't sue unless it was something drastic.

I'm not threatening a lawsuit. I am letting them know that someone is going to be injured with that current equipment. Its only a matter of time. Even if I was injured I wouldn't sue unless it was something drastic.

They can't take that chance. Once you mention lawsuit in your email, they are going to treat that carefully. If I were running Disney, I wouldn't want Audrey talking to you anymore either.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter