I was yelled at after Finding Nemo - was I wrong?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Also DS's asthma dr does not look at his asthma as a disability at all. He told us DS can do anything he wants, sports, hiking etc. If he is unable to do those things, then he as a Dr is not doing his job properly. He doesnt want DS to feel held back by his asthma one bit!

Here is where I disagree with you. I have first hand knowledge of asthma so I am not just going by someone else's word. If your child was still coughing and coughing and coughing then she wasn't under constant care. If the child truly was continuously coughing they would need to be nebulized every 4 hours at the very least. If they are in school that is not happening unless you are going up there to do it every day. While the child is not contagious that is not a good environment for the child to get better. I am not in any way picking on you. I am going by what you posted. I also don't buy into the whole asthma as a disability thing. I have yet to meet someone who is in a constant state of asthma attack. Comparing Asthma to Tourettes is like apples and oranges.

I also have first-hand knowledge of asthma, as my daughter has it. And yes, we do have instances where she is coughing all the time despite treatment. It can take quite some time (and it's not fun) for a major attack to fully end.

We have several meds to do when DD has an attack, and plans for those attacks. I know when we need to see the doctor, I know when we need to go to the ER, and I know when she is fine to carry out her daily routine. My daughter is not in a constant state of asthma - we go YEARS between attacks. But when she is in attack-mode, it can last days. And yes, even when she is on meds.

And I am only definind asthma as a disability because federal law allows for it in some circumstances. Does my DD have an IEP because of her asthma? No. And she likely never will. But federal law includes asthma as a disability. So it is apples to apples - even if the actual disabilities are very different.

OP - just wondering how you got into the handicapped section. Did you have a doctor's note? I am not being judgemental - just wanted to know if Disney agreed that asthma was reason to seat you there. This makes a difference, IMHP, if Disney knew about the health concern and seated you in a special seat. Then NO ONE had a right to say anything to you.

What if her child had Tourette Syndrome and had vocal tics throughout the show? Or if her child had some other disability that caused her to make what some people may consider "innappropriate" vocalizations (either due to when they happen or how loud?)? Does that mean they should not be allowed to enjoy the show - ever?

I have seen Tourette patients ask to leave a few times in a movie theater. The manager told them it was unappropriated to yell words like Dxx or Cxxx in a public place and he was right.

This makes a difference, IMHP, if Disney knew about the health concern and seated you in a special seat. Then NO ONE had a right to say anything to you.

Last I checked, being in the wheelchair section or having a GAC does not give anyone the "right" to disrupt a show.

Honestly I think this is starting to get really ridiculous. I have read TRs from people on the DIS who have one or several children with autism and other "invisible but audible" disabilities, and these parents do not hesitate to take their children out of a show when they can no longer control their behavior.

I also don't get the whole "stroller as a wheelchair" thing. Doesn't that imply that once the child grows out of the stroller, he/she will require a wheelchair ? How many persons do you know need a wheelchair solely because of asthma??

WDW is no one's private playground. When you or your child is disturbing other people, you remove them or yourself from the situation. I can't believe we're even discussing this.:confused3

I have flipped back and forth on this while reading. At first I was like "you should have taken her out" but now I say I don't know if I would have removed her either.

Coughing/Weezing throughout the show....are we talking about constant hacking or are we talking like sitting next to someone with a cold who is coughing and heavy breathing or worse hearing that snot in there nose when they breath everyone once in awhile? And it is Disney they shows are free sure they paid for their ticket but the shows are free and throughout the day. And honestly many of the people sitting through these shows are just looking for a place to sit and cool off for a bit.

But as I have never been to the Nemo show isn't there a lobby or something where you could have gone? Or is it set up that as soon as you walk in you are in the theater?

And it is Disney they shows are free sure they paid for their ticket but the shows are free and throughout the day.

Nothing is free in Disney :rotfl:
More seriously, I don't quite follow you here. Are you advocating inconveniencing hundreds of persons (by making them come back later to see the show without being disturbed) instead of removing the 2 persons who are - unwillingly - causing the disruption?

I also don't get the whole "stroller as a wheelchair" thing. Doesn't that imply that once the child grows out of the stroller, he/she will require a wheelchair ? How many persons do you know need a wheelchair solely because of asthma??

The stroller as a wheelchair allows parents to take strollers anywhere that a wheelchair can go. For example, they could use the wheelchair all the way through a ride line, rather than having to leave it at the ride entrance. I'm sure that some of these kids will end up requiring a wheelchair, but not all. Some use it for kids with poor muscle tone, for example. They can walk, but get tired much more quickly than other children, being able to stay in the stroller is helpful. Since there is a lot more walking at WDW than in most daily life, they may not need a wheelchair at home. Other parents use it for their child with autism, since the stroller can be their "safety zone" (especially if it has a cover), allowing them a place to escape if over stimulated (which can happen easily in crowded lines).

The stroller as a wheelchair allows parents to take strollers anywhere that a wheelchair can go. For example, they could use the wheelchair all the way through a ride line, rather than having to leave it at the ride entrance. I'm sure that some of these kids will end up requiring a wheelchair, but not all. Some use it for kids with poor muscle tone, for example. They can walk, but get tired much more quickly than other children, being able to stay in the stroller is helpful. Since there is a lot more walking at WDW than in most daily life, they may not need a wheelchair at home. Other parents use it for their child with autism, since the stroller can be their "safety zone" (especially if it has a cover), allowing them a place to escape if over stimulated (which can happen easily in crowded lines).

Thanks for the explanation ! :thumbsup2

The family was sitting in the handicapped section - for an obvious reason. Could she have taken her daughter outside? Sure. But would it have helped? Not likely.

What if her child had Tourette Syndrome and had vocal tics throughout the show? Or if her child had some other disability that caused her to make what some people may consider "innappropriate" vocalizations (either due to when they happen or how loud?)? Does that mean they should not be allowed to enjoy the show - ever?

First off, we could what if everything to death. "What if it was that child's only trip ever to WDW? What if that child has a picture of Nemo on their bedroom wall?" Can we just stick with the events at hand?

The fact is sitting and staying in any theater or show with a child coughing loud enough to distrub others, is rude. And sitting in the handicapped section ( which I find just wierd) because of the asthma cough in no way quiets that cough and make it less noticable to others. What would have helped was for the OP to leave the theater with their child and see to their care. And if for some strange reason her daughter coughs every time they sit in a theater, then yes, they should get up and leave every time.

I have flipped back and forth on this while reading. At first I was like "you should have taken her out" but now I say I don't know if I would have removed her either.

Coughing/Weezing throughout the show....are we talking about constant hacking or are we talking like sitting next to someone with a cold who is coughing and heavy breathing or worse hearing that snot in there nose when they breath everyone once in awhile? And it is Disney they shows are free sure they paid for their ticket but the shows are free and throughout the day. And honestly many of the people sitting through these shows are just looking for a place to sit and cool off for a bit.

But as I have never been to the Nemo show isn't there a lobby or something where you could have gone? Or is it set up that as soon as you walk in you are in the theater?

I am obviously doing this whole disney thing wrong...I have never been there for free. But, to that point...if this was the case and the sow was indeed "free", why shouldn't the OP leave and just view another show. I mean thew only reason to see them is be cool anyway right?

I've also never met these people who are uninterested in the shows and just there to be cool.

I must be visiting a different WDW?

Some people just lack compassion and self control, and I'm sorry that those people were so thoughtless. We all get irritated sometimes by things others do (sometimes rightly so and sometimes not), but usually if we stop thinking about ourselves, we realize that it just isn't worth hurting someone over. They should have kept their thoughts to themselves. I hope your daughter is feeling better now. :hug:

Hard to say who is thoughtless sometimes. Perhaps it's the mother who didn't move.

Sometimes these people who get irritated because they have issues themselves. If my son had been near her, he would have been annoyed at which time his tic would appear throat clearing, facial grimaces, etc. Now we have two disruptive guests. Who should leave?

My son would get up and leave because we have taught him that while his tic is not controllable, it's not his right to annoy others.

I feel bad for the child, she certainly doesn't deserve to be an astmatic; however, that also doesn't her rights to usurp the rights of others.

I am obviously doing this whole disney thing wrong...I have never been there for free. But, to that point...if this was the case and the sow was indeed "free", why shouldn't the OP leave and just view another show. I mean thew only reason to see them is be cool anyway right?

I've also never met these people who are uninterested in the shows and just there to be cool.
I must be visiting a different WDW?

not to totally divert from the point of the topic, but have you been to WDW in August, when the heat is oppressive? I've gone into many a show , not really interested, and sat through it, just to cool off...Finding Nemo being one of them! ;)

Still..if I were in a show and my child were having trouble coughing, I would have felt it necessary to step outside. It's just common courtesy.

On the other hand, if I were the person sitting near a coughing child, I would have kept to myself and minded my own business, unless there was something I could specifically do to help.

not to totally divert from the point of the topic, but have you been to WDW in August, when the heat is oppressive? I've gone into many a show , not really interested, and sat through it, just to cool off...Finding Nemo being one of them! ;)

Still..if I were in a show and my child were having trouble coughing, I would have felt it necessary to step outside. It's just common courtesy.

On the other hand, if I were the person sitting near a coughing child, I would have kept to myself and minded my own business, unless there was something I could specifically do to help.

I have been a few times in August yes. And yes it is hot, but to say that many people there are only looking for a cool place to sit is crazy. If people just wanted to sit they would stay at the pool. People go to these shows and wait in these long lines because they love Disney and what it has to offer. Not because it is the only place in Orlando with AC.

I agree with you on both other points 1. I would have absolutely left the building and 2. I would have never said anything to this mom(although that doesn't take away from the fact I would have found it rude that she stayed).

Nothing is free in Disney :rotfl:
More seriously, I don't quite follow you here. Are you advocating inconveniencing hundreds of persons (by making them come back later to see the show without being disturbed) instead of removing the 2 persons who are - unwillingly - causing the disruption?

No but a wheezing child at a Family Theme Park isn't what I would call a intolerable disruption. We are not talking about a screaming toddler or some jerk on a phone we are talking about a little girl who is having a hard time catching her breath and may just need to sit in some air conditioning for a little while. Again I am not familiar with the theater but how far is it to hike in the heat and humidity to a baby station or firstaid station?

No but a wheezing child at a Family Theme Park isn't what I would call a intolerable disruption. We are not talking about a screaming toddler or some jerk on a phone we are talking about a little girl who is having a hard time catching her breath and may just need to sit in some air conditioning for a little while. Again I am not familiar with the theater but how far is it to hike in the heat and humidity to a baby station or firstaid station?

Actually from where they were in the Boneyard it would have been quicker and closer to take her to one of the kid stations to let her rest then to walk over and wait for Nemo.

My DD is the same way. Asthma attacks after colds. I noticed the inhaler doesn't work NEARLY as well as the nebulizer. Also, when the inhaler didn't do the trick, it wasn't like I could take her somewhere to help her feel better. We just had to wait until it was safe enough to give her another dose, and hope it worked that time. I read the prescribing information and there were serious side effects when the medication was given more frequently than prescribed, so I would never give it too frequently without checking with a dr. first. We've had asthma attacks on our last two Disney trips. In the fall, we finally put DD on Singulair. After having 3 attacks in 6 weeks, we just had our first since she got put on the Singulair in October. Finally, the lady should've talked to a CM if she was disturbed, not you. Basically she was saying I'm more entitled than you, right?

Basically she was saying I'm more entitled than you, right?

sorry but she is entitled to be able to hear and enjoy a performance in a theater! That is what she and everyone else is there for!

So yes she is more entitled then the OP LOL

A sense of entitlement is the OP thinking she could disrupt strangers viewing of a performance and have them all think it was hunky dory! and no one complain.

As a mother of an asthmatic child (and niece) I would've done the same thing. If taking care of your child & tending to her medical needs is wrong - then sign me up! I'll be right there with ya sister! Some people just need to be horsewhipped! Nuf said...........

Really? Isn't that a bit dramatic? Horsewhip a person who complained about noise during a show and/or were worried enough to suggest medical treatment for a sick child? If they were rude as the OP stated, they shouldn't have been. However, treating rude people with violence is not okay -- and that is illegal.

AS A MOTHER OF AN ASTHMATIC CHILD too, and many other people who have children who suffer from asthma have pointed out on this thread, she wasn't tending to her needs at that moment, she was watching the show. I have been there at Sci Fi in this situation and we left. IMHO, as a mother of an asthmatic child, she would have been better off finding a different locale. I know my child would be quite anxious if he thought he was bothering anyone, and the anxiety was worse. He was that way on the bus back to the hotel, he got all worked up and starting coughing again bc everyone was looking at him, or so he thought.

And no we did not have to spend our entire vacation in a hotel due to asthma, but taking an afternoon off was what he needed, and we were even able to go back out in the night when the weather cooled.

I dont need to be horsewhipped, thank you very much!

Completely agree. :)

sorry but she is entitled to be able to hear and enjoy a performance in a theater! That is what she and everyone else is there for!

So yes she is more entitled then the OP LOL

A sense of entitlement is the OP thinking she could disrupt strangers viewing of a performance and have them all think it was hunky dory! and no one complain.

Agree as well!

OP - just wondering how you got into the handicapped section. Did you have a doctor's note? I am not being judgemental - just wanted to know if Disney agreed that asthma was reason to seat you there. This makes a difference, IMHP, if Disney knew about the health concern and seated you in a special seat. Then NO ONE had a right to say anything to you.

If the op was seated in the handicapped section, then it is very possible the other people around her were as well. The lady who complained may not have been able to "just get up and move"(as others have suggested). If she has transferred from an ECV or had other mobility/vison issues. As far as Disney "knowing" about the health concern. Notes are not required and assistance is not given based on diagnosis. If Disney knew anything, it was just that this child needed X X to meet her needs.

Now the coughing wasn't so loud according to the OP? I find it hard to believe that someone would tell you to call "911" for a child that is just moderately coughing. The bottom line is, if your child is disturbing people around you and it's possible to get up and leave, you should do just that. I still think this child was very loud and should of probably gotten medical treatment. Also, if the child has a bad case of asthma maybe Florida in the high humidity is not a good idea. Maybe try another month.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter