I was yelled at after Finding Nemo - was I wrong?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I am obviously doing this whole disney thing wrong...I have never been there for free. But, to that point...if this was the case and the sow was indeed "free", why shouldn't the OP leave and just view another show. I mean thew only reason to see them is be cool anyway right?

I've also never met these people who are uninterested in the shows and just there to be cool.

I must be visiting a different WDW?

I'm wondering why the thwarted are full the rest of the year.

It's Finding Nemo not the Opera. I would have told that women to bleep off!! How many times are you in a restaurant or movie and kids are louder then they should be. It's Disney World for goodness sake!! It would have been nice to see a little compassion. Sorry you had to go through that.

It's Finding Nemo not the Opera. I would have told that women to bleep off!! How many times are you in a restaurant or movie and kids are louder then they should be. It's Disney World for goodness sake!! It would have been nice to see a little compassion. Sorry you had to go through that.

I prefer Finding Nemo over the Opera thank you very much:goodvibes and therefore my family I should be able to enjoy the entertainment provided. I have compassion for the child, I hate seeing my kid or any other kid struggle to breathe or coughing their head off. It is not fun. I know how I feel when I dont feel well and have a bad cough. I would not want to sit there, and annoy people either. As adult if I was coughing and wheezing that much it would have been my responsibilty to leave, if it is my child then it is my parental responsibility to leave. Now if this was an emergency and people were giving the OP a hard time I would agree that people need to show compassion, but the OP did not want to go elsewhere, there were other places to go but none were good enough.

Boy, it's always funny when it comes to issues like this that there are soooo many perfect parents. :lmao:Give me a break.

I have TWO asthmatics, one minor, and the other severe. This will be our first trip to WDW, due to the high humidity and my youngest DDs inability to tolerate it until now. That being said, if one person, two people or a large group of people had something to say about her having a cough (and she does have coughing asthma), I would have told them where to stick the Pixie Dust. It's very hard to relocate a child having an asthmatic coughing spell, because the spell only gets worse if they're walking. She is well enough now for me, as a responsible parent, to justify it. I would dare anyone to judge my parenting without walking in my shoes, but judge you they did.

I have TWO asthmatics, one minor, and the other severe. This will be our first trip to WDW, due to the high humidity and my youngest DDs inability to tolerate it until now. That being said, if one person, two people or a large group of people had something to say about her having a cough (and she does have coughing asthma), I would have told them where to stick the Pixie Dust. It's very hard to relocate a child having an asthmatic coughing spell, because the spell only gets worse if they're walking. She is well enough now for me, as a responsible parent, to justify it. I would dare anyone to judge my parenting without walking in my shoes, but judge you they did.

so your child is more special that nay other child or adult there trying to listen to the show? sorry isn't true.

And she didn't have to walk, this was a small child who had a stroller.

She asked this board the question. Did she not? She wanted opinions on her parenting choices and she got them.

In a nutshell there are 2 groups of people here:

1. People who think she should have stayed and not worry or care about what other people thought of her daughter's coughing.
  2. People who think she should have moved the coughing child out of a show to attend to her and/or to not bother the other people watching the show.

Whether the lady saying something and whether it was rude, wrong, or right is really irrelevant. The OP just asked "was I wrong?"

No one is judging her or trying to walk in her shoes. They are answering HER question with THEIR opinion. What SHE wanted and asked of us.

Of course no one knows exactly what it feels like to walk in another parent's shoes. :hippie: Although many of the posters on this thread have stated they are either asthmatic or have asthmatic children/family members. As such, they can understand the situation.

If you feel your child is well enough to go to WDW in spite of her severe asthma, that is your decision. I would hate to think of a child not being able to enjoy the magic of WDW due to any illness!

However, if you are at WDW and your child has an attack please think twice about remaining in a show during the attack. Please seek the help of a CM so that the needs of your child and the needs of other guests can be met. I would bet that they can provide a room out of the way to allow your child to recover without having to walk and make it worse. :)

I think as a parent if my child had severe asthma that was aggravated by heat and/or humidity I would not take her to WDW in months when heat/humidity are high. :( And in Florida that covers a lot of months! I have found I enjoy myself the most in early December. Usually very mild but not cold (except for this year!! BRRRR) temps with little to no humidity.

The bottom line is that the majority of us feel it is not okay for a child (or adult) who is coughing noticeably due to asthma (or any other reason) to cause other patrons not to be able to enjoy the show. Also, the majority of us do think it is okay for a disturbed guest to yell at another over noise. There are other, more fruitful ways to handle the problem.

So it wouldn't bother you if your child was coughing through an entire show, and consequently ruined the show for the people sitting around you?

First Aid - I am not a complete germ-phobe but if she is getting over a cold do I really want to go into First Aid to encounter more germs when they can't help me anyway? If I thought First-Aid could have helped me in anyway I would have gone there immediately.

I knew she wasn't contagious - but people unfamiliar with asthma have no idea and think we are just spreading germs. Asthma IS a disability and she should not be made to stay at the hotel because she is having issues with her asthma. You wouldn't tell a kid with autism not to try to enjoy the parks or a kid with Down's or any other disability so why asthma? She already feels different because she can't do things that other kids do - why make it worse?

First off, the first aid station would have been the safest bet as they could get your child medical help faster than anyone else in the park.

Secondly, asthma is NOT like autism in that it can turn bad quickly and your child could possibly die. You stated your daughter was not feeling well so maybe staying in the room or letting her swim would have been better than taking her to the park.

It honestly sounds like you do not have control over your child's asthma which is sad. It is hard to find the right meds but once found your child will be able to do things her peers can do. I have dealt with asthma for the past 18 years with my kids and there have been many advances in those 18 years in medicines. My oldest has been to the ER many times for his asthma but he is now in remission. My youngest still suffers from asthma although we have pretty good control (not as good as it was before our last trip to Disney) over it thanks to the medicines her allergist and ped have found that worked best.

Also DS's asthma dr does not look at his asthma as a disability at all. He told us DS can do anything he wants, sports, hiking etc. If he is unable to do those things, then he as a Dr is not doing his job properly. He doesnt want DS to feel held back by his asthma one bit!

My little Asthmatic plays soccer, rides her bike, is constantly running, etc. Her brother also played soccer when he was younger and his asthma was not in remission. His asthma was not controlled as well my youngest's asthma is as medicines and that have advanced since then.

We have an allergist and a pediatrician as well as doctors for her other medical needs and they tend to work together. One doctor had her on advair and her ped decided that maybe pulmicort was better for her so he talked to the allergist and changed the daily inhaler. The Pulmicort gave her her best pulminary functions test in her whole life. Of course one trip to Disney where Mousekeeping messed up and she is still having issues getting back to her baseline. It still does not stop her from playing or participating in sports and PE. We just watch her and have her rescue inhaler on hand (we have multiples in multiple locations so she is always covered).

We were at AK on Tuesday and it was pretty hot and muggy. DD4 has a moderate case of asthma and it she was getting over a cold. I have been treating her with an inhaler and her nebulizer through out the trip. We played in the Boneyard around 10am before it got too hot. Then went to see the first Finding Nemo show. We sat in the back and to the side to try to be away from everyone in case her asthma started acting up.

So, of course, her asthma started acting up. I gave her the inhaler but it wasn't really helping. You can only give one dose of an inhaler every 2 hours. She sat on my lap and coughed/wheezed throughout the show. She wasn't loud, but it was noticeable.

After the show was over an older lady turned around and said, "I hate to say this, but you should have removed her from the show so she wasn't disrupting everyone."

As my mouth fell open I explained that she had asthma, there was nothing else I could do to make her stop coughing, and there were plenty of open seats she could have moved to. I wanted to keep her inside to help her breathing and get out of the sun.

Her husband then jumped in to tell me I should get her medical attention and if she can't stop coughing I should be calling 911 not sitting through a show. He raised 5 kids and he knows what he is talking about. He kept going on about what a bad mother I was.

It got so bad I started to cry and everyone around us was jumping in the conversation. Not only couldn't I make my daughter feel better, but I was getting yelled at by strangers.

So I ask the Disers - what would you have done?

First of all I am sorry you had a situation with your daughters asthma flare. That would really stink and I am sorry that you have to deal with that on a regular basis. You asked what would I do? I assume you mean both
1)WOULD I HAVE LEFT
Yes, absolutely. Your DD was in discomfort and disturbing those around her. Depending on the time of year, Nemo is something many of those people may experience only once that trip or maybe once in their lifetime. I would have considered the people around me, and not assumed that others should get up in the middle of a show to change seats to get away from me.
2) HOW WOULD I HAVE HANDLED THE CONFRONTATION
No doubt you were embarrassed and possibly emotional but it sounds like this woman was trying as nicely as she knew how, to let you know that she was bothered. She started off with "I hate to say this but..." Rather than apologizing to this lady you got your back up and "defended yourself" with I explained that she had asthma, there was nothing else I could do to make her stop coughing, and there were plenty of open seats she could have moved to. I wanted to keep her inside to help her breathing and get out of the sun. That is when the husband "jumped in" with the solution that you overlooked...you could have gone to first aid or call 911 if your DDs medical condition was such that you could not remove her from a very large room of people who were trying to enjoy a show?
Sorry you felt "attacked" nobody likes to be criticized, but yes you were wrong and compounded it by continuing to argue "your" point.

I have TWO asthmatics, one minor, and the other severe. This will be our first trip to WDW, due to the high humidity and my youngest DDs inability to tolerate it until now. That being said, if one person, two people or a large group of people had something to say about her having a cough (and she does have coughing asthma), I would have told them where to stick the Pixie Dust. It's very hard to relocate a child having an asthmatic coughing spell, because the spell only gets worse if they're walking. She is well enough now for me, as a responsible parent, to justify it.to judge my parenting without walking in my shoes, but judge you they d I would dare anyone id.

Can I judge if I have walked in you shoes then:confused3

We left a quiet resturant where people are trying to watch movies. DS was younger so DH carried him where we needed to go.

My little Asthmatic plays soccer, rides her bike, is constantly running, etc. Her brother also played soccer when he was younger and his asthma was not in remission. His asthma was not controlled as well my youngest's asthma is as medicines and that have advanced since then.

We have an allergist and a pediatrician as well as doctors for her other medical needs and they tend to work together. One doctor had her on advair and her ped decided that maybe pulmicort was better for her so he talked to the allergist and changed the daily inhaler. The Pulmicort gave her her best pulminary functions test in her whole life. Of course one trip to Disney where Mousekeeping messed up and she is still having issues getting back to her baseline. It still does not stop her from playing or participating in sports and PE. We just watch her and have her rescue inhaler on hand (we have multiples in multiple locations so she is always covered).

He is on Advair and Nasonex, with Xopenex as his inhaler. He plays a variety of sports, football, basketball, baseball etc.

He allergic to the entire outdoors so he does have flareups when the pollen is bad or when we were at WDW it was smoke from wildfires but for the most part he is well maintained, so fo that I am very grateful.

Boy, it's always funny when it comes to issues like this that there are soooo many perfect parents. :lmao:Give me a break.

I think it is kind of sad that someone even needs to ask what they should do in a situation like that. If your child is being loud and disruptive, no matter what the cause or where you are, then it should be common sense to remove them. It shouldn't be rocket science. And has nothing to do with being perfect.

The bottom line is that the majority of us feel it is not okay for a child (or adult) who is coughing noticeably due to asthma (or any other reason) to cause other patrons not to be able to enjoy the show. Also, the majority of us do think it is okay for a disturbed guest to yell at another over noise. There are other, more fruitful ways to handle the problem.
This. :thumbsup2

My thought was 2 things. One: That the child coughing through the show may have been disturbing, particularly if the people were older. O;der people who have some degree of hearing loss are often unable to hear over background noise. Two: the child sat coughing through the show. The people around them had no idea, whether or not, the child was infectious. I would be mighty annoyed if I thought someone was sitting behind me spewing germs throughout the show.

I think it is kind of sad that someone even needs to ask what they should do in a situation like that. If your child is being loud and disruptive, no matter what the cause or where you are, then it should be common sense to remove them. It shouldn't be rocket science. And has nothing to do with being perfect.

It is sad that parents are unable to look at the situation and know when it is not okay to allow your child to be a disturbance. As you said, it has nothing to do with being perfect, but has everything to do with being considerate to those around you.

A theater is a place where one goes, watches, and listens to a show. Finding Nemo is a show that takes place in a theater. As such, if someone is making it difficult to watch or listen to a show, then they should be removed. A theater is NOT the place to hold a conversation or deal with an asthma attack. That is not what it is meant for and that is why there are baby care centers and first aid centers in all the parks. Heck, even a store would have been a better idea.

To allow your child to disrupt a show, no matter the reason, is to be inconsiderate to those around you. As someone who has asthma (though better now as an adult then when I was a child), I would never think I have the "right" to simply sit there if my condition was causing a disruption. I would have removed myself from the theater (or my parents would have removed me when I was younger) as to not bother others.

How is this so difficult to understand?

Whether or not the mother was right in leaving her child where she was is not the issue that bothers me the most. IMO the rudest people are those who jump on another person without knowing their situation. Also there was no reason whatsoever to mention it after the show was already over, except to try to upset the mother. If it disturbed them that much, it should have been mentioned to a cast member during the show, so it could have been dealt with in a helpful way which hopefully would have satisfied everybody.

Whether or not the mother was right in leaving her child where she was is not the issue that bothers me the most. IMO the rudest people are those who jump on another person without knowing their situation. Also there was no reason whatsoever to mention it after the show was already over, except to try to upset the mother. If it disturbed them that much, it should have been mentioned to a cast member during the show, so it could have been dealt with in a helpful way which hopefully would have satisfied everybody.

I think there is a reason to mention it, if you mention it in a polite manner. Once you are used to hearing a noise, wether it is a dog barking or a child coughing, you tend to tune that noise out. And not realize how loud or disruptive that sound truly is. By mentioning it you are letting the parent know that though even to them the cough may not sound that bad, that is is loud and disruptive. There are plenty of shows at the Animal Kingdom, maybe that lady prevented the OP and their child from coughing at a few of them, not knowing how loud it really was.

I know that it's wrong of me to be so quick to judge, but sorry, if I'm in a very highly traveled place like WDW and hear a kid coughing, I'm going to assume illness, not asthma. And that is what it is, however wrong and unfair it may be. And I know I'm not the only one.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter