I love credit cards so much!

Status
Not open for further replies.
I haven't looked at the kinds of spend you're talking about, but I did see that with Amex the kinds of payments you can do with Plastiq are much more limited. We have some home improvement stuff coming up, and it looks like we can't use Plastiq to pay the contractor using an Amex. Not sure how rigid the limitations are, but as I recall it was a pretty short list of vendor types.

I think it varies. Im not sure why contractor is on the list, but its def ymmv. I think you be stopped first by plastiq anyways, but amex wouldnt know what your charging if it does go through. its similar to mortgage that many of DIS users are doing.

I was a little reluctant to post that about the blogs. Do you think the "AMEX people" read these boards? I don't want them to figure out who I am and snatch my points back, haha.

I got the points right away, too. They said they would post within 7-10 business days, but they were in my account within minutes of our conversation.

i doubt they are watching us specifically but im very sure they are watching the reddit thread and flyertalk. I know for SPG, there are actual reps on there that answer questions... they call themselves lurkers lol. They actual answered a few of my questions there.

@SouthFayetteFan I can't figure out the private message function on the dis and I've posted >10 times, my reddit user name is gusgus2016 if you could add me to the dischurners group! Thanks!

hate to say it, but @SouthFayetteFan wont be able to add you... cuz i did! :D your in! once your PM opens up, ill send you more links!

Today is a good day, i won 2500 SW points! :D

7Vyu6tj.png

Oh, I’m sure the RATs are reading /r/churning, flyertalk, and all the major points and miles blogs. And if any of the other banks or credit cards have abuse teams, I’m sure they’re all over it too. After all the recent nerfs — most recently BMO bank funding — I think all the pros are staying mum about any unicorns that aren’t already public.

ETA: I remember back in its heyday, the “Disney Gift Card Deals” thread was popping up first in google searches. That couldn’t have been good for the hobby. This thread isn’t quite there yet. Thank goodness.

Last edited:
The CIP's 3x bonus categories are: (1) travel, (2) shipping purchases, (3) Internet, cable and phone services, and (4) advertising purchases. Category #3 doesn't usually include utilities in the broader sense, e.g., gas, electric, water, trash. Moreover, your gas and electric utility might not accept Amex cards when paid directly.
Well that sucks. Is it the cash one that gives you bonus on utilities or am i getting another card confused with chase?

Today is a good day, i won 2500 SW points! :D

7Vyu6tj.png

Congratulations!

I'm definitely jealous!

(I did enter the contest for the rest of the US, but it looks like its a one winner thing.)

I mostly use SW points to pay for my kids to fly when I want them to join me somewhere.

For anyone checking on their links and getting an access denied note from Amex, this happened on one of my cards but the link worked in other browsers & on in-private browsing. Just clear your cookies and the link should work again. Drove me up the wall for about 15 mins why my link didn't work even after pulling it straight from amex again- it's not your link just Amex and their cookies :)

does the shipping purchases category include paying for postage on eBay to ship goods that we have sold? Or is it more literally for purchasing shipping supplies like boxes, etc.?

Yes! Set up the CIP to pay eBay shipping costs via PayPal and you'll get 3x.

I sell quite a bit on eBay, use PayPal shipping to ship my packages (and the “secret shipping” function to get discounted shipping on my other mail), but I’ve never had PayPal shipping earn 3x on my CIP.

I have the CIP set as the default payment method on my eBay account, which earns 3x on seller fees.

On shipping however, eBay automatically deducts the shipping cost from my PayPal balance from the sale. I’ve tried moving the balance out of my PayPal account first, then generating the shipping label, but then eBay/PayPal only lets me pay from a bank account. I could use the PayPal “secret shipping” site to get discounted shipping and use a credit card, then add the tracking number to the sale manually, but this method has only ever earned me 1x on CIP.

USPS, UPS, FedEx, and Stamps .com all earn 3x on CIP when paid directly, but you’re missing out on the shipping discount from eBay/PayPal.

Oh, I’m sure the RATs are reading /r/churning, flyertalk, and all the major points and miles blogs. And if any of the other banks or credit cards have abuse teams, I’m sure they’re all over it too. After all the recent nerfs — most recently BMO bank funding — I think all the pros are staying mum about any unicorns that aren’t already public.

ETA: I remember back in its heyday, the “Disney Gift Card Deals” thread was popping up first in google searches. That couldn’t have been good for the hobby. This thread isn’t quite there yet. Thank goodness.

I totally LOL'd here.... so that's what happened there, we were victims of our own success :)
(although I was too risk adverse to do a lot of the crazy stuff anyway, but man was that a ride to watch)

Well that sucks. Is it the cash one that gives you bonus on utilities or am i getting another card confused with chase?

The CIC presumably has the same “Internet, cable and phone services” category as the CIP. I can’t think of a Chase card that has a bonus category for utilities.

Alas my nearest airport is FAT and they still don’t have SW. (To those wondering yes, it’s id is FAT. Fresno Air Terminal. By the time they decided that wasn’t the best name & changed it the FAA was like “nice try, you’re keeping FAT”)

our local airport was not thinking when figuring their Abbr either. Sioux City, Iowa is SUX..we joke it, seems fitting.

I sell quite a bit on eBay, use PayPal shipping to ship my packages (and the “secret shipping” function to get discounted shipping on my other mail), but I’ve never had PayPal shipping earn 3x on my CIP.

I have the CIP set as the default payment method on my eBay account, which earns 3x on seller fees.

On shipping however, eBay automatically deducts the shipping cost from my PayPal balance from the sale. I’ve tried moving the balance out of my PayPal account first, then generating the shipping label, but then eBay/PayPal only lets me pay from a bank account. I could use the PayPal “secret shipping” site to get discounted shipping and use a credit card, then add the tracking number to the sale manually, but this method has only ever earned me 1x on CIP.

USPS, UPS, FedEx, and Stamps .com all earn 3x on CIP when paid directly, but you’re missing out on the shipping discount from eBay/PayPal.

Thanks. I also use my PayPal account to buy the discounted mailing labels from eBay, but my default payment method on PayPal is credit card, so I never have funds taken out of my actual PayPal balance. If DH is approved for the CIP, I might try one small shipping charge just to see what happens, but I'll assume that won't earn 3x. Good to know about the 3x on eBay seller fees though.

I have the CIP set up in PayPal as my default payment option. All money coming in from Ebay goes into my PayPal balance, and all money going out toward Ebay shipping is charged to my CIP.

My rental is on the market and the mgmt co says there's been a lot of interest. Fingers crossed it's rented by the end of the month. Toes crossed that the investor my realtor has likes the house and will buy it for at least the min I want for it. I want the stress gone from living in Seattle with a house in NC but only if the price is right.

I have the CIP set up in Ebay as my shipping payment option. All money coming in from Ebay goes into my PayPal balance, and all money going out toward Ebay shipping is charged to my CIP. It is all routed through PayPal though.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter