I love credit cards so much!

Status
Not open for further replies.
They told me there was no free second driver through any program, I would have to pay. I do know going through Costco gets a free second driver, but then you're paying for the rental and I wanted to book on points. May need to double check the perks of the Insiders program.
hmmm I may have gotten my info wrong on that one.... but anyway, I plan to let DH do the driving, etc. If they demand a different cc at exit we'll use that one for incidentals.

:sad:
Called Chase again finally and again no retention offer for my SW Plus card. I already have the bonus points. I guess I should have called before those posted, but life got in the way and I lost track. Now, drop it or keep it and refer dh who will be going for CP in Dec/Jan? I rarely use the card, but to date fly SW exclusively.

hmmmm..... so if Alamo has free spouse as driver perk(insiders) then can I use my name on my card? and DH can be my alternate? (I don't want to drive but I will out of the garage if needed) like I can be the main, he is the free spouse?

We just picked up a car yesterday with Alamo....rented under my name with DH as free second driver....no,issues with him driving the car out of the lot...they just need the cc it was booked under, my DL and his DL..
Adding we booked with Costco

Last edited:
Do you have to book with UR points to get the coverage? Or can you just use that card to book the rental?

I see the question was answered but just wanted to reiterate that when you use the CSR or CSP to book or UR points from a CSR/CSP Account you must decline the rental agency’s collision protection in order to be covered by the card.

They told me there was no free second driver through any program, I would have to pay. I do know going through Costco gets a free second driver, but then you're paying for the rental and I wanted to book on points. May need to double check the perks of the Insiders program.

I don't know because I'm not familiar with the insiders program. DH is an auth user on my United card so we always use that one to rent for the primary coverage.
Alamo Insiders used to provide for a spouse as addl driver at no charge. They eliminated that benefit back in 2014 though.

From the Alamo site:

Any additional driver (including a spouse or domestic partner) will pay a daily fee; this fee will vary and averages $12 a day.

Fees are waived for the following:

Corporate Contracts in the United States are allowed the following additional drivers at no charge:

• Commercial (corporate) rentals

• The renter's business partner

• Employer or fellow associate, who has a signed corporate contract with Alamo and drives the car for business purposes and who meet normal renter requirements.
Please Note: When booking via a third party; the relationship is with the Tour Operator and not Alamo directly. As a result; Alamo Insiders benefits will not apply.

All other additional authorized driver situations are subject to a daily charge.

An additional driver may only be added to the contract at a rental location and may be added or removed in the middle of the contract. When adding an additional driver in the middle of the contract both the renter and the additional driver must be present at the location.

The system will calculate the charges based on the dates the additional driver was listed on the rental.

Exception states that allow the spouse to be an "Automatic" Authorized Driver under all circumstances are: California, Illinois, Missouri, Nevada, Oregon, and Wisconsin. There is no additional fee for the spouse to drive the vehicle in these states.

We just picked up a car yesterday with Alamo....rented under my name with DH as free second driver....no,issues with him driving the car out of the lot...they just need the cc it was booked under, my DL and his DL
Was that booked on Ultimate Rewards points?

I have spent a fair amount of time looking for FPs for friends. I would suggest the night before your HS day or that morning, if you have down time, try refreshing repeatedly. SDD usually shows up eventually.

I wasn't able to get SDD at 60+2, but I pulled it by checking back a couple weeks later.

Yeah I've been checking everyday since FPs opened, but so far no luck at 45 days out. I'll keep checking and if worst comes to worst, we'll rope drop it.

I love Alamo and their fastbreak program. Off the plane and in a car within a half hour. You don’t go to the counter at all. I had a horrible experience with Budget at their counter. They actually ended up stealing our card number at the time.

Just make sure the card you have on file is the CSR or CSP. If something happened you then have the argument that booked with points and CSR on file; if you have some other card I don’t think they would be inclined to cover. Plus with Alamo you can just go through with the toll roads and have it bill your card for a minimal cost (which counts as a travel credit).

I usually just pack a roll of quarters. I’m a little to cheap to pay a daily rate for the convenience.

If you are taking 417 from the airport to Disney, there is a Walmart just off the freeway on Landstar Blvd that has a grocery pickup. I think it would be somewhere between exit 15-13??? I set my pickup time about 40 min after my plane lands. We usually go for 7-14 days and grocery shopping is my least favorite part of the trip.

I'm going to assume(hope) that since I booked the car under my CSR,and thus am a spousal driver with the insiders agreement, it should all be covered in case something goes wrong. logically it seems like coverage would be in effect for car booked using the CSR points....
I’m not sure the spousal driver with insiders agreement is??

We tried Alamo at MCO one time. Never again. It was years ago and they tried to force us to prepay the gas. And tried to bully us into buying their insurance when we said we were covered by our own and our credit cards. Woman said we needed to buy it to prevent them from suing us. I pay more if I have to, but won't ever rent a car through them. It was such a nasty and unpleasant way to start our trip.

sorry, you had a had such a horrible experience. We didn't get our car at MCO but rather at the Disney Car Care Center (maybe Disney Magic is used at the DCCC). Used Alamo and was one of the better rental experience we have had. Car was ready, people were very nice. Checking in and checking out was painless..Renting a car on our upcoming trip because it was such a positive experience... really debated because of the new parking fees at the resorts...

Last edited:
SPG Lux bonus posted this morning!

I met spend on 9/14, but one of the transactions was held pending until 9/21. It was a payment to my electric company using speed pay so that I could use a credit card. Speed pay is through Western Union, so I'm wondering if they held it pending on purpose as I could see that the electric company had the funds almost immediately. I paid my water company the same way at the same time and that transaction cleared much sooner. Perhaps a $600 electric bill made them look at it.

In any case, my 100,000 are there now, which is what counts and all my spend was in fact organic (this time!).

:sad:
Called Chase again finally and again no retention offer for my SW Plus card. I already have the bonus points. I guess I should have called before those posted, but life got in the way and I lost track. Now, drop it or keep it and refer dh who will be going for CP in Dec/Jan? I rarely use the card, but to date fly SW exclusively.

Did you ask to be connected with the retention department? I noticed a few reports on Reddit of success after requesting a transfer and speaking with that department directly. I've been wondering if that's where I went wrong with mine as I asked about getting an offer/incentive from the retention department but didn't insist on being transferred to it and then asking them.

Questions on UR portal Car rental.

I would like to book a van through chase portal. It says no cancellation fees. If i book now and need to cancel (which i probably wont, but you never know) how quick do i get my pints back? Does my card get charged right away or after i pick up? Do i get points for booking? If you have booked through chase would you book again? We usually book through costco

What is your */24 count with Chase? Do you already have any SPG/Marriott cards?

If you are still under 5/24, I would focus on Chase and build out your Chase trifecta, quadfecta, or pentafecta of Freedom, Sapphire, and Ink cards. I would avoid signing up for any of Chase's Marriott cards. The reason is under new restrictions that went into effect on 8/26/18, getting any of the Marriott cards now would, generally speaking, disqualify you from the Amex SPG cards for the next two years (and vice versa). See https://viewfromthewing.boardingare...r-marriott-and-starwood-credit-card-approval/

Then, after you are 5/24, and assuming no SPG/Marriott cards, I would focus on the Amex SPG cards and avoid the Chase Marriott cards for now, and maybe try for the Chase Marriott cards if you can get back under 5/24 in about two years. The reason for this is there are currently 2 Chase Marriott cards (the Marriott Premier Plus and the Marriott Biz), and 3 Amex SPG cards (the SPG Personal, SPG Biz, and SPG Lux).

The bonuses are richer on the Amex SPG-side too. If you go through all 3 Amex SPG cards, at their current offers, that’s 275k Marriott points from the welcome bonuses alone. The SPG Biz currently has a 100k Marriott points after $5k/3 months MSR offer, first year annual fee waived (offer expires 10/31/18); the SPG Personal has a 75k Marriott points after $3k/3 months MSR offer, first year annual fee waived; and the SPG Luxury has a 100k Marriott points public offer (125k Marriott points targeted offer) after $5k/3 months spend, $450 AF not waived. Keep in mind the SPG Personal is supposed to be discontinued sometime in early 2019, when the Starriott brands completely merge and Chase gets the consumer and premium consumer cards, and Amex gets the super premium consumer and small business cards. If you go for the Chase Marriott cards first, you disqualify yourself from the Amex SPG cards and won't be able to hit the SPG Personal card and bonus before it's discontinued. While some people suggest waiting for the SPG Personal to raise its offer (because 75k Marriott is equivalent to the old 25k Starpoints offer), there’s no telling how much longer the SPG Personal card will still be around. But maybe Amex will make one final push to attract signups with a higher offer for the SPG Personal before discontinuing the card?

The Chase Marriott cards are both offering 75k Marriott points right now with a $3k/3 months MSR, AFs not waived. (Compare with Amex SPG Personal and Biz cards that waive the first year AF.) That’s just 150k Marriott points combined.

Getting one of the Amex SPG cards has no preclusive effect on getting another SPG card under the post-8/26 rules. But it will disqualify you from getting a Chase Marriott card for about 2 years. Remember, Amex welcome offers are generally once per lifetime, so you won’t be coming back to churn those cards again. Getting the SPG Personal and Luxury will add cards to your */24 count, but they’d make you ineligible for the Chase Marriott cards for 25-27 months (24 months after bonus received) anyway. And in about 2 years, these cards will drop off, and assuming you're under 5/24, you can see about going for the Chase Marriott card(s) then. Note that by then, Chase will probably have discontinued the Marriott Biz because the small business card product is supposed to belong to Amex. But perhaps Chase will raise the Marriott Premier Plus back up to 100k Marriott points at some point?

3 > 2

Thanks for all of the great info, Lain. I'm currently 3/24 (drop to 2/24 in Feb) with no SPG or Marriott cards. I'll definite stay away from the Marriott card for now.
I want to hold a spot for a CSW biz and personal for late fall 2019 to try and get a CP. I guess my next step would be a CF, but the sign up bonus is so bad I almost hate to waste a spot on it. With being so low/24, it may be worth it to me to risk a spot on the SPG biz. If I get that, does that mean no other AMEX sign up bonus ever?
Oh, finally got my CIC approval this morning!

Questions on UR portal Car rental.

I would like to book a van through chase portal. It says no cancellation fees. If i book now and need to cancel (which i probably wont, but you never know) how quick do i get my pints back? Does my card get charged right away or after i pick up? Do i get points for booking? If you have booked through chase would you book again? We usually book through costco

I’ve booked a car four times through the UR portal. I cancelled twice (once I cancelled a trip and once I found a cheaper cash rate) and my points were returned almost immediately. Most of the time I thought the rates are better through the UR portal. I think the terms say something about needing to call if you cancel within 3 days of the rental

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter