I love credit cards so much! v6.0 - 2023 (see first page for add'l details)

A little WWDCD for everyone-

We met my Wyndham min spend. P2's Wyndham min spend is still pretty far off with a month left. We could

1. Buy some GCs for future expenses (planning to buy $$ broadway tickets in September and could get disney GCs for that trip) to just finish it now (we have the funds to do that if we wanted).

2. Get a new card for currency we have plans for (or MR/UR) that would naturally fall over the spend as it comes up and may feel more "worth" the spend if that makes sense.

We don't really have a plan for the points because we ended up using IHG for RI instead due to my in laws preferences. I am sure wed use them eventually but not sure how much I want to stress about meeting the spend and then keeping track of GCs. We got the card for the free cruise so that alone was "worth" the AF of $95 to me.

WWDCD?
Google has let me down. What is WWDCD? I know I’ll feel stupid once you share. :rotfl2:

AlI've read Visa and MasterCard are widely accepted but not sure about Amex. I was thinking they could each take either a Chase Visa (CSP) or MasterCard (IHG) and also an Amex Hilton as the backup. However, if Amex are not accepted, then that's not a good backup.

Last edited:
Can someone refresh my memory... Can you now use Airbnb gift cards to pay off your balance? I know they could only be used on the first payment previously, but I swear a few months back this might've changed?

ETA: If yes, do I just add it to my account and it'll pull from there automatically? Or do I need to specifically add the gift card when I go in to make the second payment manually?

Yes, you can use GC for the balance now. It should get applied automatically. That's how it shows up for first and manual second payments. I haven't tried automatic second payment.

Back from our Banff trip last weekend. Most beautiful place I've ever been to! Flew into Calgary Thursday evening on WestJet on Delta points transferred from Amex. Stayed on FNC near the airport in a Residence Inn that was clean and comfortable. Drove up to Lake Louise on Friday. We had booked the Fairmont through Amex FHR. Our room was ready by 10:30 am! Unexpected but appreciated. They also gave us late checkout on Saturday at 4:00pm, also unexpected but came in useful! We loved the Fairmont LL. Great customer service and what a magical location. Enjoyed Morraine Lake and the easy lake shore path and canoes at Lake Louise. I went hiking on Saturday with with DS and DDIL at a few stops along the Icefields parkway while DH enjoyed the resort and watched the British Open.
We headed to the Fairmont Banff for Saturday and Sunday. Booked through Chase Fine Hotels. I've decided I like the Amex perks better. No late check out offered on Monday. Overall, customer service was lacking. We did have a nice room with a great view. Bathroom was tiny but adequate. Enjoyed the spa on Sunday with the mineral pool and outdoor hot tub. Golfed on Monday and enjoyed views on every hole. Headed back to Calgary and stayed at the Hyatt Place also on a free night.
Overall a great trip. Fairmont LL totally worth the splurge. Not sure I feel the same way about the Banff Fairmont. For us, 4 days in the area was perfect.
Thank you so much for posting this. Banff has been on our list for a long weekend trip (we are on west coast) and this sounds like a great road map. I have struggled to use our Amex $200 credits (we each have platinum cards) and this sounds like a great way to do so. We also have Hilton Free Nights so I'll see if they have any good redemptions for Banff. Lake Louise is so gorgeous and has been on my list for a long time. Any restaurant recommendations?

So I’m under 5/24 and just booked DCL for next summer. Best way to offset the payments would be statement credits with CIC and CIU bonuses with my CSP? PYB with CSR at grocery stores doesn't seem worth it since I would need to upgrade from CSP to CSR. Doesn't look like you can cash in Citi TY points for Disney GCs anymore, too.

If you upgrade to the CSR, you can use the $300 travel credit twice on 1 AF, come out $50 ahead plus all the other benefits.

So I’m under 5/24 and just booked DCL for next summer. Best way to offset the payments would be statement credits with CIC and CIU bonuses with my CSP? PYB with CSR at grocery stores doesn't seem worth it since I would need to upgrade from CSP to CSR. Doesn't look like you can cash in Citi TY points for Disney GCs anymore, too.

If you upgrade to the CSR, you can use the $300 travel credit twice on 1 AF, come out $50 ahead plus all the other benefits.

This is what I would do. If you PC between multiple cards every other year you can hold a CSR and at a minimum you net $50 but you can easily do much better than that.

Just returned from a trip to the UK to visit family - it wasn't a trip I was planning on so booked only 3 weeks out and rewards flight options were extremely limited. I decided to fly JetBlue in Mint using Amex MRs and utilizing the 35% points back. Worked out to about 70,000MRs each way, plus I earned close to 10,000 JetBlue miles on the trip. It was a highly acceptable way to cross the pond - free wifi worked for about 80% of the flight and the outbound cabin crew was excellent. On the return they were just OK, but nothing to complain about.

I don't have global entry, and immigration was mobbed on my return to Boston - easily 500+ people in line. Fortunately, I had downloaded the Mobile Passport Control app. Took about 5 minutes to answer the questions on the app and then into the MPC line with only 3 people ahead of me. Probably saved me an hour or more and highly recommended if your arrival airport supports it. (Also available for some cruiseports)

Just returned from a trip to the UK to visit family - it wasn't a trip I was planning on so booked only 3 weeks out and rewards flight options were extremely limited. I decided to fly JetBlue in Mint using Amex MRs and utilizing the 35% points back. Worked out to about 70,000MRs each way, plus I earned close to 10,000 JetBlue miles on the trip. It was a highly acceptable way to cross the pond - free wifi worked for about 80% of the flight and the outbound cabin crew was excellent. On the return they were just OK, but nothing to complain about.

I don't have global entry, and immigration was mobbed on my return to Boston - easily 500+ people in line. Fortunately, I had downloaded the Mobile Passport Control app. Took about 5 minutes to answer the questions on the app and then into the MPC line with only 3 people ahead of me. Probably saved me an hour or more and highly recommended if your arrival airport supports it. (Also available for some cruiseports)
Is the MPC app something new?

If anyone familiar with Japan wants to give me advice, I'd be thrilled. Right now we are scheduled to fly into Tokyo and out of Osaka in early/mid May. We have ten days to split between the two. I think our must sees are Disney Sea and Mt. Fuji in Tokyo and USJ in Osaka, Osaka castle, and Kyoto. Originally I was thinking of doing 5 nights in each but I'm wondering if I should do 6 in Tokyo. The other thing I'm wondering about is if I should stick with one hotel in Tokyo (looking at Tokyo Hilton or Conrad Tokyo) or do a night or two at the Hilton Tokyo Bay for our Disney day. Trying to work with Hilton points (315k or so), Bonvoy points (250k or so), and a Hilton FNC (I can get another one pretty easily). But I'm okay with other options too. And of course we need a room that sleeps three.

We just returned from a trip to Glacier National Park/ Waterton International. I found it hard to save money on this trip but we did have a few strategies.

I've wanted to visit Glacier/Waterton for as long as I could remember. I knew it was hard to get in-park accommodations so I made reservations in July 2022 for July 2023--and even then couldn't find a lot of options.

IMG_0935.JPEG
Kootenai Falls and Swinging Bridge (Terrific stop /short hike on the scenic route between Spokane and Glacier)

IMG_7813.JPEG
Avalanche Lake

How I paid:
We fly from St. Louis so just getting to Montana is challenging. I opted for Southwest into Spokane, with a stop in Oakland. Paid about 20,000 points each for DH and DD. I thought this was high, but since I have the companion pass it helped ease the cost. Our return flight was even higher.

I booked the Springhill Suites Spokane airport for our evening arrival hotel. I am glad we stayed here. It's so close and saved us from having to pick up the rental car that night. It's right across the street from the airport, but the rooms were quiet. I never heard any planes in the night and the staff was very friendly. I paid for this hotel using a Chase offer for 10% back.

National Car Rental--we used to have a corporate account and I was spoiled with those rates. That's gone, so I found the best deal/rebate I could. I found car rental rates cheaper in late spring than they were in Jan./Feb.
In the morning we walked across the street to the car rental counter and started our drive to Glacier.

Our first few nights were in Glacier Park West in their cabins. They were small but nice and situated very close to the park entrance. I'd stay here again.
IMG_0942.JPEG

After a few days we left the west and went to the east side of the park. I had booked St. Mary Village not fully grasping that the "west motel" of our reservations was not the beautiful lodge in all the photos. I even checked after we got home--all the online photos are of the main lodge.
I am fine with an old-fashioned motel if it's clean and up-to-date. This place was the exact opposite. If you find yourself heading to the St. Mary side of Glacier, avoid the Motel West. It was dingy, dated and very bad Wifi. To top it off, it's expensive. Now, that being said, it's location is awesome...literally on the same road as the east entrance.

IMG_1044.JPEG
Going to Sun Road

IMG_7947.JPG
One of four bears we saw. We also saw moose, a wolverine, mountain goats, longhorn sheep, marmots, deer, and chipmunks.

"Entertainment" Costs. Our plan was to spend every day in the park and hike a lot. We aren't really into the touristy stuff that beckons outside the park (ropes courses, go-carts, etc...) We bought the National Park Pass for the year so that was our admission into the park. There is a road reservation system if you want to go to popular areas like Going to the Sun Road and Many Glacier area. Since I did not know about those dates, we employed two other strategies: entering before 6 a.m. or after 3 p.m., and booking boat trips. If you have a boat/horse reservation, you can access these roads all day. The boat trips were nice excursions, and not very expensive, but added to the cost of "just hiking".

We also went to Waterton, Canada one day and that park charges 10.50 per person entrance. It was well worth it. I loved Waterton and want to go back.

IMG_1163.JPEG

Food: In our west-side cabin we had a tiny kitchen (no oven) and were able to shop and cook healthy meals. We packed a collapsible cooler in our luggage so we were able to keep cold drinks and picnic food for our days in the park.
Food got harder when we went to the east side. The St. Mary Village West Motel does not have a mini-fridge or microwave. There is one small grocery store. We stopped in one evening to pick up quick breakfast food for our 6 a.m. park entrance time and found PopTarts were $7.19 (just checked my local store and they are $2.62 here). We found some fruit that was better for us and our wallets. We ate out for our dinners. Some food was pretty good, some just okay. A $30 pizza was our cheapest meal.

I have to give a shout out to Wieners of Waterton. This place was recommended to us and it was delicious. I mean, really it's a hot dog, how good could it be, but if you are there just go. And get the sweet potato fries, too.

Our last night was spent on Schweitzer Mountain in Sandpoint, Idaho. We stayed at their new Humbird Lodge. It's $650/night in the winter but only $240 in summer. I tried booking direct but it would only allow two night stay. I was happy to find one night booking available on Expedia, plus I had 7% back for Rakuten and Amex had $20 back.

We took the ski lift up the mountain and enjoyed the village pub.

IMG_1285.JPEG

As I said above, Glacier was hard to get to and an expensive trip. I felt like there weren't many ways to save or get deals. I understand them having to make money while they can since so much of the year they are snowed in, so for most of the trip, the costs were tolerable. It's just our time at St. Mary Village where I felt fleeced.

One other expense: bear spray. You can't fly with it so you have to buy or rent it there unless you are driving in. It's highly recommended and I would not have hiked without it. We paid $50 for a can in West Glacier and (thankfully) did not use it. We passed it on to another family when we left the area.

Attachments

• IMG_1163.JPEG
    IMG_1163.JPEG
    109.6 KB · Views: 2
If anyone familiar with Japan wants to give me advice, I'd be thrilled. Right now we are scheduled to fly into Tokyo and out of Osaka in early/mid May. We have ten days to split between the two. I think our must sees are Disney Sea and Mt. Fuji in Tokyo and USJ in Osaka, Osaka castle, and Kyoto. Originally I was thinking of doing 5 nights in each but I'm wondering if I should do 6 in Tokyo. The other thing I'm wondering about is if I should stick with one hotel in Tokyo (looking at Tokyo Hilton or Conrad Tokyo) or do a night or two at the Hilton Tokyo Bay for our Disney day. Trying to work with Hilton points (315k or so), Bonvoy points (250k or so), and a Hilton FNC (I can get another one pretty easily). But I'm okay with other options too. And of course we need a room that sleeps three.
I would do the 6 nights in Tokyo and do a night or two at the Hilton Tokyo bay. It’s very convenient for getting into the park

Your trip is pretty similar to ours. We went in early-mid May, and also for 10 full days (not including travel days). We did 6 days in Tokyo (which included one day at DisneySea, and one day trip to Kawaguchiko to try and see Fuji, which we did not), 3 days in Kyoto (which included 1/2 day in Nara), and 1 day in Osaka (which we didn't love). If I could have gone back and redone it, I would have (in place of Osaka) added another day to Kyoto as we loved it there. Osaka reminded us of a more run-down, grimier Tokyo. Granted, we didn't do USJ... we did Osaka Castle and park, Namba Yasaka Jinja shrine, Hozenji temple, Kuromon fish market, and Dotonbori.

I have a question for this group of experienced international travelers. Dfam is going to Ireland for a week. I'm helping them decide what cards and how much cash to take. Here in the US, nobody ever looks at the name on my cards so we use each other's cards all the time to maximize bonus categories, meet MSR, etc. But what about Ireland? I was thinking they should only take cards with their own names on them. This limits their options because we are only considerig cards with no foreign transaction fees.

Also, I've read Visa and MasterCard are widely accepted but not sure about Amex. I was thinking they could each take either a Chase Visa (CSP) or MasterCard (IHG) and also an Amex Hilton as the backup. However, if Amex are not accepted, then that's not a good backup.

Finally, do people find that there are a lot of places in Ireland that require cash? I don't want them to take more than they need. Should they also take a debit card to get cash if needed?
I can't speak about Ireland specifically, but was just in London, Paris, and Amsterdam in May. I would definitely only take cards with my name on them rather than risk any potential questions/issues. I used mostly Visa, but AmEx a few places. I did not take any cash, I never do. I stop at an ATM and grab some cash. Sometimes I get it in the airport but the fee is usually higher there. Sometimes I just wait until they get to their hotel area and find an ATM because it will probably have less fees.

I can't speak about Ireland specifically, but was just in London, Paris, and Amsterdam in May. I would definitely only take cards with my name on them rather than risk any potential questions/issues. I used mostly Visa, but AmEx a few places. I did not take any cash, I never do. I stop at an ATM and grab some cash. Sometimes I get it in the airport but the fee is usually higher there. Sometimes I just wait until they get to their hotel area and find an ATM because it will probably have less fees.

We spent 2 weeks in Ireland in June. We brought 200 euros (got from our bank when exchange rate was good) and got 100 from an atm twice. There were things that required cash (bike rental on Inishbofin and a small ferry between Baltimore-Sherkin Island and something else I can’t recall…oh a taxi between our Airbnb and Doolin). I think we also used euros once or twice when it wasn’t required. Oh we also tipped our falconer who did our private hawk walk. I’m sure I’m missing somethings.

We used only Visas while there, CSP and VentureX. We did have our Amex but never used it.

I don't think Chase likes same day applications. To double check, P2 also needs to be not holding a Sapphire.

Does the CP plan involve 2 cards before the end of the year? That velocity would make me nervous. What's the rush on the CSR? If you need the benefits and have a Freedom or CSP, it can be upgraded, use the $300 travel credit twice on 1 AF.
P2 is not holding a Sapphire card and it’s been over 4 years since the bonus. Thanks for bringing this up. We will instead call to PC her freedom unlimited. We need the travel benefits more than we need the sign-up bonus on that card right now. About to book a premier hotel at Universal for next year and the CSR could save us about 1K in points.

I recall somebody here mentioning that the SW schedule for early 2024 would open in August. Can someone remind me when that’s expected so I can be ready??? TYSM!!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter