I love credit cards so much! v6.0 - 2023 (see first page for add'l details)

Just returned from a trip to the UK to visit family - it wasn't a trip I was planning on so booked only 3 weeks out and rewards flight options were extremely limited. I decided to fly JetBlue in Mint using Amex MRs and utilizing the 35% points back. Worked out to about 70,000MRs each way, plus I earned close to 10,000 JetBlue miles on the trip. It was a highly acceptable way to cross the pond - free wifi worked for about 80% of the flight and the outbound cabin crew was excellent. On the return they were just OK, but nothing to complain about.

I don't have global entry, and immigration was mobbed on my return to Boston - easily 500+ people in line. Fortunately, I had downloaded the Mobile Passport Control app. Took about 5 minutes to answer the questions on the app and then into the MPC line with only 3 people ahead of me. Probably saved me an hour or more and highly recommended if your arrival airport supports it. (Also available for some cruiseports)
I'm curious about this app- do you use it ahead of time, or right as you get to airport?

I would do the 6 nights in Tokyo and do a night or two at the Hilton Tokyo bay. It’s very convenient for getting into the park
Thank you! This is the current plan. Five nights at Hilton Tokyo and one or two nights at Hilton Tokyo Bay. We originally were planning to just do Disney Sea but now I'm thinking we'll do both parks.

Your trip is pretty similar to ours. We went in early-mid May, and also for 10 full days (not including travel days). We did 6 days in Tokyo (which included one day at DisneySea, and one day trip to Kawaguchiko to try and see Fuji, which we did not), 3 days in Kyoto (which included 1/2 day in Nara), and 1 day in Osaka (which we didn't love). If I could have gone back and redone it, I would have (in place of Osaka) added another day to Kyoto as we loved it there. Osaka reminded us of a more run-down, grimier Tokyo. Granted, we didn't do USJ... we did Osaka Castle and park, Namba Yasaka Jinja shrine, Hozenji temple, Kuromon fish market, and Dotonbori.
I'll take another look at hotels in Kyoto. I know for USJ, staying in Osaka is easier but otherwise I think Kyoto should be fine.

If anyone familiar with Japan wants to give me advice, I'd be thrilled. Right now we are scheduled to fly into Tokyo and out of Osaka in early/mid May. We have ten days to split between the two. I think our must sees are Disney Sea and Mt. Fuji in Tokyo and USJ in Osaka, Osaka castle, and Kyoto. Originally I was thinking of doing 5 nights in each but I'm wondering if I should do 6 in Tokyo. The other thing I'm wondering about is if I should stick with one hotel in Tokyo (looking at Tokyo Hilton or Conrad Tokyo) or do a night or two at the Hilton Tokyo Bay for our Disney day. Trying to work with Hilton points (315k or so), Bonvoy points (250k or so), and a Hilton FNC (I can get another one pretty easily). But I'm okay with other options too. And of course we need a room that sleeps three.
I'd do 6 in Tokyo -- it's huge, and I say this coming from a big city. Even using the very efficient transit system it can take a bit of time to get from one place to another. If you're only doing 2 days at Tokyo Disney I'd try to get one of the Disney hotels so that you get early entry. I wasn't a huge fan of Tokyo Disneyland Hotel -- I think Mira Costa would be better. For me, it would be worth paying cash for one of the official hotels due to time constraints. I'm going to be in Tokyo in January for 3 days and I'm looking forward to it! I

I'd recommend Himeji castle -- it's an easy train ride from Kyoto and very worthwhile visiting.

Also something that we did that I recommend is hiring a photographer (Flytographer is good) to get some pictures of you and your kids in Kyoto. There are some truly beautiful sites and the photographer can whisk you from one to the other to get some great shots.

Himeji Castle.PNG

Do expedited Chase cards (CIC/CIU) come Fedex or UPS? Or USPS? Anyone know? They told me they expedited Friday, and I should have in 1-2 biz days. I'm thinking it should come today but nothing in Informed Delivery... nothing on UPS MyChoice... starting to worry. I have a $2000 payment to make by morning tomorrow!

Do expedited Chase cards (CIC/CIU) come Fedex or UPS? Or USPS? Anyone know? They told me they expedited Friday, and I should have in 1-2 biz days. I'm thinking it should come today but nothing in Informed Delivery... nothing on UPS MyChoice... starting to worry. I have a $2000 payment to make by morning tomorrow!
Mine have definitely come via UPS recently. I could be wrong but I think they used to come Fedex.

I'd do 6 in Tokyo -- it's huge, and I say this coming from a big city. Even using the very efficient transit system it can take a bit of time to get from one place to another. If you're only doing 2 days at Tokyo Disney I'd try to get one of the Disney hotels so that you get early entry. I wasn't a huge fan of Tokyo Disneyland Hotel -- I think Mira Costa would be better. For me, it would be worth paying cash for one of the official hotels due to time constraints. I'm going to be in Tokyo in January for 3 days and I'm looking forward to it! I

I'd recommend Himeji castle -- it's an easy train ride from Kyoto and very worthwhile visiting.

Also something that we did that I recommend is hiring a photographer (Flytographer is good) to get some pictures of you and your kids in Kyoto. There are some truly beautiful sites and the photographer can whisk you from one to the other to get some great shots.

View attachment 782054
myself im planning for first night tokyo 3 in kyoto 6 in tokyo and I want to stay longer nice pic!

I have a question on getting a new card to pay college tuition. My daughter's tuition is due 8/16 and she has enough scholarship money to cover most of it. If it's paid before that date, then the money is refunded to us from the school. Her school charges 2.9% cc fee and doesn't take Amex. Is it worth opening a Chase Biz card for that? I see the SUB is 75K points, I think I missed a big bonus didn't I? Thoughts?

View attachment 782054
Mira Costa looks gorgeous. I'll hope the exchange rate stays strong:) And love that photo! Adding this to my list.

If anyone familiar with Japan wants to give me advice, I'd be thrilled. Right now we are scheduled to fly into Tokyo and out of Osaka in early/mid May. We have ten days to split between the two. I think our must sees are Disney Sea and Mt. Fuji in Tokyo and USJ in Osaka, Osaka castle, and Kyoto. Originally I was thinking of doing 5 nights in each but I'm wondering if I should do 6 in Tokyo. The other thing I'm wondering about is if I should stick with one hotel in Tokyo (looking at Tokyo Hilton or Conrad Tokyo) or do a night or two at the Hilton Tokyo Bay for our Disney day. Trying to work with Hilton points (315k or so), Bonvoy points (250k or so), and a Hilton FNC (I can get another one pretty easily). But I'm okay with other options too. And of course we need a room that sleeps three.

I don't have any answers but am planning a similar trip next summer for my family of 6, so will be looking at answers!

Mira Costa looks gorgeous. I'll hope the exchange rate stays strong:) And love that photo! Adding this to my list.
We haven’t decided which hotel we’ll stay at for our TDR part of our trip next May. It kind of depends if the new expansion opens or not when we’re there. If it’s not, I think we’ll probably just do Hilton Tokyo bay.

Mine have always come UPS

I have a question on getting a new card to pay college tuition. My daughter's tuition is due 8/16 and she has enough scholarship money to cover most of it. If it's paid before that date, then the money is refunded to us from the school. Her school charges 2.9% cc fee and doesn't take Amex. Is it worth opening a Chase Biz card for that? I see the SUB is 75K points, I think I missed a big bonus didn't I? Thoughts?
Depends ….how much is her tuition and do you have other Chase business cards you could transfer CLs from. Chase business cards normally don’t get the higher CLs personal cards do usually…for me usually in the $4,000-6,000 range

Last edited:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter