• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

I love credit cards so much! v2.0 (see first page for add'l details)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Yes! I referred someone who was approved on 8/6 and the 20,000 URs did not go pending yet. Looks like we will be watching closely together on 8/20 at 6pm :magnify:

We are still waiting for the referral points from when DH sent me a link for the CSP. He had already closed the card (but the link still worked) when I applied, so I'm anxiously checking every few days... I really do hope he gets those URs.

@schmass on cancelling your Amex the way I did it with my Bonvoy Biz was pay everything but the fee and then contact them to close it. They took off the fee and it showed up on the site for a couple days saying account now closed. I would do that and not wait until after statement date to close it out. If you pay it then you have to wait for a refund and that is also a pain.
Thanks! So I can pay the rest with a payment date 8/26 (due date is 8/27) and then on the 27th ask them to close it? We’re staying at the Swan through 8/26 so I don’t want to close it before then in case our gold status gets us anything. We fly back on the 27th so I could close it then.

Or did I misunderstand completely?!
Yes I think that is what I would do. You might as well have status as long as possible! Unless you are interested in a retention offer? That might change how to handle it. Maybe @Lain can chime in. He probably has the best way to close it step by detailed step. :)

Yeah, I just do what @kmc8826 suggested. Pay off the statement balance except for the AF on the card I’m planning to close, then chat with Amex to request canceling the card. The Amex rep will ask why you’re canceling, so just be ready with a reason and they’ll process it over chat. The AF gets refunded usually within a day and zeroes out your remaining balance.

:offtopic: Got on this morning and have tickets for Moonlight Magic Typhoon Lagoon for our October trip. I am really excited; especially since DH is on a "we must save money" plan and I doubt I am going to be able to justify doing anything extra this next trip. In theory I would like to do the Halloween party but saving money or not I can't justify the almost $500 it would cost us to all go.
Congrats on the tickets! I hope it works out that you can go!!

Ok experts I need your advice.

Short recap:

• I am currently 2/24
  • I am planning a Japan trip in Late 2020 or early 2021 with the goal of doing all hotels via points of some sort.
  • I have a Hilton Honors account that I've never used because I am a "budget hotel" person normally
  • Right now the tentative plan while in Japan is probably 3 nights at the Hilton Tokyo Bay because we're familiar with it and I like familiar
  • I am even more tentatively planning an additional couple nights closer to Tokyo Proper but have not even started looking at hotels- may or may not use Hilton points if I happen to have them or an equivalent
  • Planning several nights in Kyoto but at a small no name hotel (would be looking to use Chase UR for that hotel)

I just got a mail offer for the HH American Express card, which is a personal card, with 100,000 Bonus points after spending $1000 in three months (I think that will be very easy to hit). It's a no annual fee card.

I have no previous relationship with AMEX and have been avoiding them for years because I thought they all had annual fees.

Is this offer any better/different than anything else out there? What say the experts?

**ETA: I just went to the AMEX Hilton Honors site and the offer sitting there is 90,000 points after $2000 in three months, so it's a little better than that one**

Had a baby last week (our second) and now time to apply for the Plat so this hospital bill can *earn* some points haha

Also I give up catching up so I’ll pay attention again from here.

Congratulations! Did you have a boy or a girl?

Just had a chat with my CPA about the 1099 from Chase. His suggestion is to file the amendment, pay that extra tax to be one the safe side. he said u can take a change on not doing so, maybe the IRS will just say, its too small forget it... but he said that he the IRS does come knocking with a letter, then you will have a record.

im gonna file the amendment just to be on the safe side... then make chase pay for it.

Nov14-17. F & W, Ogas. Thanksgiving will definitely be more crowded.
Thanks for the input. This is what I’m leaning towards also. The only problem is paying a lot more for a hotel. Dh said we can’t spend a lot on a hotel since I also want to do a cruise which makes sense.

I really hated Atlantis, too. Just yuck. And this part about St. P makes me feel better since I canceled our Baltic cruise because apparently we love the north now and need to visit Norway every year (or at least for 3 years in a row). ;) I was a bit apprehensive about Russia, but have always wanted to go to St. P. DH was adamant that all the iPhones and anything tech-y wouldn't be going ashore with us there. That and a few other concerns, mainly the feeling you mention above, didn't help.
I'm glad I went, but definitely don't feel the need to go back. Now Norway ... LOVED Norway and would go back in an instant. One of my DD's best friends form University is from Oslo, which should be a good excuse :)

Just had a chat with my CPA about the 1099 from Chase. His suggestion is to file the amendment, pay that extra tax to be one the safe side. he said u can take a change on not doing so, maybe the IRS will just say, its too small forget it... but he said that he the IRS does come knocking with a letter, then you will have a record.

im gonna file the amendment just to be on the safe side... then make chase pay for it.

The IRS doesn't come knocking. I've had them correct a mistake on my return and send me more refund. If they take the time to match your 1099, they may send you a notice/letter telling you that you owe the tax on it.

The correct thing to do is file the amendment. It should be pretty simple and probably can be done by yourself. But since you have a CPA, let them have at it, lol.

I'm glad I went, but definitely don't feel the need to go back. Now Norway ... LOVED Norway and would go back in an instant. One of my DD's best friends form University is from Oslo, which should be a good excuse :)

My DD is there right now, doing a year of research. We're going to visit her next month. She hasn't met many Americans (I think one so far). Cool that your DD's friend is there, too. Small world! And definitely a good excuse for a trip there. :)

Short recap:

• I am currently 2/24
  • I am planning a Japan trip in Late 2020 or early 2021 with the goal of doing all hotels via points of some sort.
  • I have a Hilton Honors account that I've never used because I am a "budget hotel" person normally
  • Right now the tentative plan while in Japan is probably 3 nights at the Hilton Tokyo Bay because we're familiar with it and I like familiar
  • I am even more tentatively planning an additional couple nights closer to Tokyo Proper but have not even started looking at hotels- may or may not use Hilton points if I happen to have them or an equivalent
  • Planning several nights in Kyoto but at a small no name hotel (would be looking to use Chase UR for that hotel)

I just got a mail offer for the HH American Express card, which is a personal card, with 100,000 Bonus points after spending $1000 in three months (I think that will be very easy to hit). It's a no annual fee card.

I have no previous relationship with AMEX and have been avoiding them for years because I thought they all had annual fees.

Is this offer any better/different than anything else out there? What say the experts?

**ETA: I just went to the AMEX Hilton Honors site and the offer sitting there is 90,000 points after $2000 in three months, so it's a little better than that one**
The easiest way to END your Amex relationship is to get a card and only hit the MSR. You need to ask yourself if you are planning to spend regularly on this card. If the answer is no...then you probably want to avoid it. When we speak about Amex Pop-ups, that pop-up is a result of somebody not putting regular spend on their Amex card (and we aren't talking $20 a month here either unfortunately). Usually we advise people to look at Blue Cash Everyday, Blue Cash Preferred or Blue Business Plus (or perhaps the Gold Card) as starter cards with Amex because they have good everyday uses and points that have a solid value.

The other consideration is that this card WILL use a 5/24 slot. Amex also offers a Hilton Biz card that has a 130k bonus PLUS free weekend night but with a larger $5k MSR. That would not use one of your slots. Only you can decide if that lower bonus/lower MSR personal card is worth a 5/24 slot. For what it's worth, I would not use one of my 5/24 slots for just 100k Hilton points.

Lots to consider here and it's not an easy answer. I know this comment largely sounds negative, but I'm not saying you should NOT do this, I'm just pointing out some of the things to consider before you do it.

OT but does anyone know if blacktap in downtown Disney takes reservations. I’m not seeing anything available for my dates, but idk if they even do reservations.

Not sure on the reservation part but just have to say omg Black Tap is so delicious. I’ve already decided that when DH and I fly to NYC the day before our Japan flight next year that we’re going back there lol.

Short recap:

• I am currently 2/24

The easiest way to END your Amex relationship is to get a card and only hit the MSR. You need to ask yourself if you are planning to spend regularly on this card. If the answer is no...then you probably want to avoid it. When we speak about Amex Pop-ups, that pop-up is a result of somebody not putting regular spend on their Amex card (and we aren't talking $20 a month here either unfortunately). Usually we advise people to look at Blue Cash Everyday, Blue Cash Preferred or Blue Business Plus (or perhaps the Gold Card) as starter cards with Amex because they have good everyday uses and points that have a solid value.

The other consideration is that this card WILL use a 5/24 slot. Amex also offers a Hilton Biz card that has a 130k bonus PLUS free weekend night but with a larger $5k MSR. That would not use one of your slots. Only you can decide if that lower bonus/lower MSR personal card is worth a 5/24 slot. For what it's worth, I would not use one of my 5/24 slots for just 100k Hilton points.

Lots to consider here and it's not an easy answer. I know this comment largely sounds negative, but I'm not saying you should NOT do this, I'm just pointing out some of the things to consider before you do it.

I agree with @SouthFayetteFan largely, but did want to point out the potential benefit of the free weekend night for you. Those offers are only around until 8/28 and depending on how you’re able to arrange your stay at Hilton Tokyo Bay, it could be beneficial for you. I made the decision to burn a 5/24 slot to get DH the Hilton Surpass recently because it has a 130k offer and a free weekend night after 4K. This was worth it for us because we plan to use the weekend night at the Conrad Osaka (rooms run between $500-$700 a night) and the 130k points will go towards our stay at Hilton Tokyo Bay. I also felt comfortable using a 5/24 slot because I’ve gotten DH 3 CIPs, a CSP, and a CIC over the last 18 months. I think it’s probably wise for us to cool it with Chase for a few as a result.

High Deductible Health Plans (HDHP): If you're young, healthy, and have maxed out your 401k, this might be for you! I know of a guy that used the Health Savings Account (HSA) as additional 401k. His plan credits him $1,800 (family plan) and he adds $3,200, tax deferred, to max out his HSA every year. Then he pays out of pocket for medical (while being insured for big stuff, and he has money set aside for large deductibles). He is allowed to invest his money in the stock market (limited selections). You don't have the "use or lose" of a Flexible Spending Account, and it accumulates every year. It is portable and if they expect a lot of medical next year he can switch plans, then switch back in two years. Best of all, his HSA has far fewer requirements than a 401k.

@Ngwira - here's an article that preceded yours.

https://10xtravel.com/10xtravel-team-our-dream-destinations/
What is everyone's dream destination?

Mine would be the Adriatic Coast- I would love to sail from Venice down the coast of Croatia, Montenegro, Albania to Greece. I love water, sailing and doing nothing so it's the perfect fit for me. ⛵
Dream destinations:
Australia (2020!!)​
African Safari (2021!!)​
Hiking in the Alps​
Machu Picchu​
Galapagos, crusing​
Bora Bora/Tahiti​
Greece​
New Zealand for several weeks, maybe a month, just taking it easy and hiking a lot​
Tooling around Great Britain for a month or two​
Antarctica, but I'm skeered of the cruises and flying there is sooooooo $$$$$$$$​
Had a baby last week (our second) and now time to apply for the Plat so this hospital bill can *earn* some points haha

Also I give up catching up so I’ll pay attention again from here.
Congratulations 👶:lovestruc

I do our taxes and am also going to file the 1040x...completed it today and will mail it out tomorrow

High Deductible Health Plans (HDHP): If you're young, healthy, and have maxed out your 401k, this might be for you! I know of a guy that used the Health Savings Account (HSA) as additional 401k. His plan credits him $1,800 (family plan) and he adds $3,200, tax deferred, to max out his HSA every year. Then he pays out of pocket for medical (while being insured for big stuff, and he has money set aside for large deductibles). He is allowed to invest his money in the stock market (limited selections). You don't have the "use or lose" of a Flexible Spending Account, and it accumulates every year. It is portable and if they expect a lot of medical next year he can switch plans, then switch back in two years. Best of all, his HSA has far fewer requirements than a 401k.
There’s been a lot of talk at work lately about HSAs and the impact they have when it comes time to start Part A Medicare. It’s apparently a hot topic at the moment and we might have to quickly react to something and implement a very expensive change for very little bang for our buck.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter