I love credit cards so much! v2.0 (see first page for add'l details)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Your Marriott Gold status is independent of the card you use to pay for your stay, so you'll get the extra elite points no matter which card you use (it can be Chase, Citi, Barclays, BoA, whatever).

All your Marriott cards earn the same 6x at Marriott properties, as you figured out, so no one card is better than another. Although if you have the Amex offer on one of them ($40 off $200 at Marriott Bonvoy), then use that card. I believe the $200 must be in one single charge.

I've got to go back and read but I think her Chase card may only be 5pts per dollar if she didn't do the Premier upgrade and is still paying the $85 fee, which brings around the idea that it might be an idea to try to upgrade a couple of the cards to get some free nights/extra points?

2nd round of Amex self-referral clawbacks going out now. Lowest reported now is 40k. :(

I believe I saw both a 10k and a 30k as well. That seems almost too small for them to even bother with but I’m sure its some computer algorithm (shes says, knowing nothing of computer algorithms hahaha).

Eta- idk how to link a specific comment in a reddit thread (as opposed to the whole thread) but it is a DP from an hour ago in that specific thread on losing 10k.

Last edited:
No, he didn’t call. We read Barclay biz can be grueling and I only ask him to call when it’s a must do situation.

FWIW for others, I did not get any questions about my biz when I called Barclays. I called one time and they didn't have my info processed through the system. I called the second time and they found the info and approved me over the phone. All their reps were rude, but they never asked any questions.

Just wanted to say I was able to use Priority Pass at the Cafe by Mise En Place last week on the way out of town and it was great. Food was good and had a delicious Moscow Mule. The Mac and Cheese off the kids menu was way too fancy for my almost 3 year old. He wanted no part of it.

Only down side was that we were super time crunched and asked for his side of berries to be packaged to go and it was literally the scene from Love Actually (when he buys the necklace for his non wife) with how the server prepared the berries to go...when he started strategically rolling the to go bag I had to laugh.

Thank you so much! I thought that they were all the same but then I thought there was like certain points you could earn through status- like a 25% bonus or something that I don’t really understand. I don’t actually care about status but just wanted to make sure I was getting the most bang for my buck.
Thanks again!

You're welcome!

If you're trying to eek out the most out of your stays, I'll offer a couple tips. Since you already have booked your stays, this is for future reference.
1) See if there are any portals offering cash back for Marriott. I often use TopCashBack and get 4%, but sometimes I'll see Ebates has them for 10%. Both portals say AAA rates don't get cash back, but IME I've gotten cash back for AAA rates (booked through the Marriott website, so that I get elite night credit and points).
2) Google to see if there are any Marriott promotions going on. I've often not been targeted for a promotion, but then I'll call Marriott Rewards customer service to ask if I can get one of the promotions attached to my account. The worst they can say is no.

I hate that they took away the tool to combine online :(
Me too!! 😩 Don't they know I don't have the bandwidth to make a spreadsheet for this too?!? Ugh.

Aw, don't feel bad. At least you figured it out. Sometimes, I feel bad because I feel like a sponge soaking up all the knowledge here. I want to be a giver too, but a lot of it is new for me and I don't want to offer any incorrect advice.

Remember there is no wrong way to churn and somewhere in these masses there may be a few people who think like you or I do.

Don't be afraid to give advice and don't be offended if someone corrects a technicality. Thank them and move on. And, sometimes I think the big guns here really appreciate your trying to help newbies because they make it their quest to try to see that no question goes unanswered and that's a huge job here on this thread. I try to stick my 2 cents into a few things here and there and I'm no expert, but I am a cheering section. Even when I forget to cheer.

The give and take here is phenomenal! And if it slowed down to only a few talking, it would eventually wither and die. The biggest helpers need our support to carry this load. Plus you will learn in trying to help out and may bring out points that help any number of people who are afraid to put their thoughts out there.

I actually like it when someone comes behind me and says the same thing - validates my knowledge!

I've got to go back and read but I think her Chase card may only be 5pts per dollar if she didn't do the Premier upgrade and is still paying the $85 fee, which brings around the idea that it might be an idea to try to upgrade a couple of the cards to get some free nights/extra points?

Great point! @MarBee Judique knows her Marriott cards well!

If you don't have an targeted upgrade offer, it never hurts to call and see if they will offer you one. Or you can send an SM/chat to check as well if you dislike talking on the phone.

DH and I are planning a quick food and wine/ MNSSHP trip in October. The plan is to buy party tickets for MK and one day tickets for Epcot to do food and wine. What do you guys think?
Sounds fun! All the same day or 2 different days? My BFF and I went for 2 days a couple years ago and did F&W with 2 day tickets and on the night of the 2nd day we did the Xmas party to enjoy MK stuff. No regrets!

I believe I saw both a 10k and a 30k as well. That seems almost too small for them to even bother with but I’m sure its some computer algorithm (shes says, knowing nothing of computer algorithms hahaha).

Eta- idk how to link a specific comment in a reddit thread (as opposed to the whole thread) but it is a DP from an hour ago in that specific thread on losing 10k.
Under the comment is "permalink" that will open a new page which will link to that comment only and any responses :)

Great point! @MarBee Judique knows her Marriott cards well!

If you don't have an targeted upgrade offer, it never hurts to call and see if they will offer you one. Or you can send an SM/chat to check as well if you dislike talking on the phone.

You guys are awesome! I never upgraded my Marriott Visa. I guess I should contact chase to see what they’re offering for an upgrade now. I had actually planned on closing that card but maybe I’ll see what I can get first...

My upcoming stays are all on points, but I wanted to put resort fees, food at the resort, etc on the proper card. But it’s awesome advice for future stays!

Thanks again!

2nd round of Amex self-referral clawbacks going out now. Lowest reported now is 40k. :(

Still no movement on my account, but I have this sinking feeling that the RAT’s claw is coming for me.

The clawback doesn’t worry me as much as the reports of account freeze and review. I don’t have a Schwab so I don’t have a cash out option.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter