• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

I love credit cards so much! v2.0 (see first page for add'l details)

Status
Not open for further replies.
The URs are definitely more flexible.....the CFU does not have a sign up bonus right now...it earns 3x up to a $20k spend the first year...the CF has a 15k UR sign up bonus and the 5x quarterly categories
You actually can still find/create support links with the $150 bonus on the CFU :)

(Unless something has changed in the past few weeks)

Looking for advice on what my daughter’s next step should be. I don’t think she’s going to want to do the points thing wholeheartedly, but I know she isn’t adverse to earning SOME points, as she’s seen me do a bit. (And been the beneficiary of mama’s points a few times.:) )

Anyhow, got her first card, a Discover, last October or November with a relatively low limit, but they’ve since raised it automatically a few times, and now it’s just under $5000. Her income is steady and more than mama bear’s, but she’s been employed for under a year. She’s been an AU on several of my cards for 3-5 years, depending on the card.

I think she should try either for a Freedom or a Southwest card. Her home airport is philly, which I guess doesn’t have a big southwest presence, but she could get to nyc or Baltimore relatively quickly.

Is one card considered easier to get than the other? Thoughts? Typing this out, I’m inclined to say a Freedom card, since she could transfer her points to SW if she ever needs to.
I’d say CF is potentially easier to get, but the SW with its 60k bonus is MUCH more lucrative right now if the larger MSR isn’t an issue. Also remember she can’t transfer URs without a CSP, CSR or CIP. With only a Freedom, your only option is to cash out. :)

I know - it seems to violate my reputation!

I do keep track of any points I redeem in our vacation spreadsheet so I can tell you all the points I used over the past 5 years and what I got for them (ie flight or hotel prices, etc). :)

I do have this spreadsheet. But ours doesn’t go back quite as far. Our first point redemption was almost exactly 2 years ago. So in 2 years we have gotten $15,249.56 worth of travel. Not as good as some people, but I will take it!

Looking for advice on what my daughter’s next step should be. I don’t think she’s going to want to do the points thing wholeheartedly, but I know she isn’t adverse to earning SOME points, as she’s seen me do a bit. (And been the beneficiary of mama’s points a few times.:) )

Anyhow, got her first card, a Discover, last October or November with a relatively low limit, but they’ve since raised it automatically a few times, and now it’s just under $5000. Her income is steady and more than mama bear’s, but she’s been employed for under a year. She’s been an AU on several of my cards for 3-5 years, depending on the card.

I think she should try either for a Freedom or a Southwest card. Her home airport is philly, which I guess doesn’t have a big southwest presence, but she could get to nyc or Baltimore relatively quickly.

Is one card considered easier to get than the other? Thoughts? Typing this out, I’m inclined to say a Freedom card, since she could transfer her points to SW if she ever needs to.

I would like to get DD21 started on her next card but not sure what to do. I was hoping for a CIP for her but she hasn’t worked at all since January when she left for Africa. So not sure if I can use her last years numbers. Do you think your DD would go for a biz card? Or is that too high a spend? I definitely would have to help my DD. The UR points are more flexible I think and then with CIP can be moved elsewhere.

How long is her own credit history? Does she have student or car loans or anything before that Discover card? Chase likes to see your own credit history for a while and recommendation is a year, but she has 6 months on the Discover so that might be enough, and if she has anything of her own before that it even better.

She wouldn’t be able to transfer to SW with just the Freedom, but it’d be a good earner for when she could. I think SW out of PHL isn’t bad. Depending on where you go you may get connections but they’ve always been reasonable for us. Outside of going to Europe a few years back and flying out of Alaska later this year, SW is all we’ve flown for several years. So the SW card is reasonable being in Philly but as you know it’s not a great everyday card.

Time for me to roll on to Citi aa biz #2. Whats the status about needing mailers or not? Seems I read a couple days ago that the jury is out. Anything new? Should I hold off?

Big week coming up for our house. Hockey tryouts for DS9 and Tinkerbell/Alice tryouts for DD19. We all head to WDW on Thursday. Yay for summer break!

I just can't believe how fast this is all happening.
I remember back when you DH was interviewing for the job he didn't get and the applied and got called for several all over the USA. I told DH that see, people actually do apply for jobs where they have no connections and get them. I was making a point because he told me he can't just app to jobs in Charleston without connections and that the good jobs come from networking. Meanwhile, here you are moving, and here I am stuck in TN.:badpc: No, really, happy for you though!
I think there is a lot of variation depending on professions. But then again I have had the same employer since I was 20 years old and have no plans to look for a new one.

Have you read the newest comments on that post about Citi pulling their bonus? They don't appear to be saying Citi told them they were taking their bonus back. They said they asked for a match and got a letter saying their were not eligible. ( But most of us have gotten that letter, more than once.) And then that their MSR was met, but no bonus. I don't see them saying how long ago the spend was met or how recently the statement closed. I am wondering if that's really what happened or if they are jumping the gun.
I haven’t received my bonus yet either. Nothing sketchy in my app, didn’t ask for a match. In fact, I can see it on the statement just not in my AA account. Could be he’s jumping to conclusions

I do have this spreadsheet. But ours doesn’t go back quite as far. Our first point redemption was almost exactly 2 years ago. So in 2 years we have gotten $15,249.56 worth of travel. Not as good as some people, but I will take it!
I track mine in my credit card sheet. Right now I see that weve gotten $26k in value with our points (not that we'd pay that!) over about 3 years. I've also got it tracked so I can see weve spent $4500 in AFs in that time, and the value of our approximate point balances currently is $17k! It blows my mind.

@disneymagicgirl Which beach/es would you recommend when we visit Charleston? Also, any other must-dos? My kids are 6 and almost 4 and we'll be there one month from now. I already took note of your restaurant recommendations.
For beaches, Sullivans Island or Isle of Palms. If you want to venture out a bit, Kiawah is great and you could stop at the Angel Oak along the way.
How about a plantation tour?..magnolia, Middleton, Boone hall...
A boat tour to a barrier island...capers, Morris island light house, etc...
For war history- Boat to Fort Sumter or Patriots Point/Yorktown.

I spend so much time making the rounds to visit family and friends that we don't get to do much for fun. Looking forward to spending July there so we have lots of time to play tourist. :)

Time for me to roll on to Citi aa biz #2. Whats the status about needing mailers or not? Seems I read a couple days ago that the jury is out. Anything new? Should I hold off?

Big week coming up for our house. Hockey tryouts for DS9 and Tinkerbell/Alice tryouts for DD19. We all head to WDW on Thursday. Yay for summer break!

Use to hate the week of hockey tryouts so stressful for everyone...wishing your son and daughter good luck

Enjoy your vacation....we arrive on Saturday...looks like it’s going to be a hot week

I track mine in my credit card sheet. Right now I see that weve gotten $26k in value with our points (not that we'd pay that!) over about 3 years. I've also got it tracked so I can see weve spent $4500 in AFs in that time, and the value of our approximate point balances currently is $17k! It blows my mind.

That’s amazing...I haven’t looked at what our stays with URs would have cost in cash, because like You we would not have paid cash. Instead of a 2br villa while visiting our son, DH and I would have had a regular hotel room.

It's a "proceed at your own risk" sort of thing right now. There are multiple DPs on r/churning AND our own @platamama who applied for their 2nd (or beyond) Citi AA Biz via a public offer and aren't sure the "bonus tracked".
At this point, including @platamama and today's DPs I think we have 5 people reporting they met their MSR, their statement closed, and the points did NOT show up on the statement (which means they weren't awarded). So we are now in a big wait and see mode until people's NEXT statement closes to see if this is a glitch/delay OR if this is a real issue.

I personally am not looking to hand out advice at this point as your guess is as good as mine on what's going on here and whether public offers are still viable. I know that I personally don't want to risk pursuing an MSR and a bonus with no guaranty I'll get the points. Given the "1 every 95 days timeline" I'm not interested in burning 3 months and $2k spend for nothing (even if that risk is only 10-15%). That's why I said I'm sticking with mailers - however, I'll also acknowledge that it's easy for me to say that since I have a path to securing a mailer at no charge. I understand that the prospects of purchasing one for $50 may influence folks otherwise. This is certainly a lot to process and consider.

Just tagging you here to note that the situation you're describing and the issue we're concerned about are different. :) These people do not see the bonus miles on their statement at all, and I've seen Citi AA miles post when you meet the MSR just a day or 2 ahead of stmt close. There is a legitimate concern that some people will never see their miles after meeting the MSR.

OK, thank you. And I apologize, I posted first then caught up on reading, and saw where ya'll were discussing this today. I think I will hold off a bit and app for DH CIP #2 in the meantime.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter