I love credit cards so much! v2.0 (see first page for add'l details)

Status
Not open for further replies.
I need some life advice!

So, as I think I mentioned, I reached out to a DVC owner here on the boards to secure a reservation at the Grand Californian for next year. We spoke by email a few times & I paid a 25% deposit with the understanding that the reservation would be made on May 25 for our April trip.

Recently we got some potentially scary news about my soon-to-be MIL's health. We don't know which way it's going to go yet & after discussing everything, we decided not to go the DVC route. If the worst happens, there is absolutely no way to cancel & the owner's points could end up going to waste along with our money, leaving all of us in the lurch. If all goes well, we can book a regular hotel room, ABD, or something else.

I let the owner know about the situation & she replied indicating that there was a 10% cancellation fee, which was not communicated to me at the time of the deposit. However, in this case, she would charge a rate of $150 instead.

I'm a little :confused3 because nothing has been booked yet. These are not expiring points - they are actually points she indicated she would have to borrow from her next UY & that is one of the reasons we don't want to have her make the reservation.

Would you accept this $150 fee?

I paid through PayPal (the goods/services option, not the "send money to a friend" option). I did find her on the rental board. I reached out to her first, so she didn't break that rule.

Thank you. Hopefully it will be okay.

No contract (yet?) & no mention of a cancellation fee/charge of any kind.

If the reservation had been made & paid for then it would be our problem but I don't understand why she's imposing a fee before anything has been booked. I was wondering if anyone else saw or thought of something I didn't that would be a reason for the fee.

If she’d already borrowed the points in anticipation of making the reservation I can see why she might feel inclined to charge a fee. If she is at the end of her UY the borrowed points have to be used before the UY is out, even more so. Maybe she turned away others who wanted to rent her points because she expected to rent them to you since you reached out first. Who knows. None the less, if it was not communicated to you and you had not pulled the trigger and asked her to make a reservation she should be chalking it up as a hard lesson learned. I’d be asking why she felt justified on charging a fee since she hadn’t made a reservation for you and see what she says. Look at things from her point of view, ask her to look at things from your point of view, then, go from there depending on the answer.

Last edited:
If she’d already borrowed the points in anticipation of making the reservation I can see why she might feel inclined to charge a fee. If she is at the end of her UY the borrowed points have to be used before the UY is out, even more so. Maybe she turned away others who wanted to rent her points because she expected to rent them to you since you reached out first. Who knows. None the less, if it was not communicated to you and you had not pulled the trigger and asked her to make a reservation she should be chalking it up as a hard lesson learned. I’d be asking why she felt justified on charging a fee since she hadn’t made a reservation for you and see what she says. Look at things from her point of view, ask her to look at things from your point of view, then, go from there depending on the answer.

Not to dispute your answer as I agree with it. And that is the perspective I would have had also, except for the fact that the 11 month booking window doesn't appear to be open yet, so I don't think she has the ability to borrow the points for @MKTokyo 's reservation. If she had already borrowed in points for another earlier reservation that would be on her, and a separate issue, I would think.

I'm really interested to see what's going to happen with my Citi bonuses. I've already asked for matches, but won't be in the future.

Can you get the personal cards and get the bonus after already having gotten the biz card bonuses once? I guess worst case scenario I scrap my plans for CIP 2 next month and get us personal cards.
I’d really think about that if I were you...I personally wouldn’t give up the opportunity for 105k URs for 80k AA miles :)

I’d really think about that if I were you...I personally wouldn’t give up the opportunity for 105k URs for 80k AA miles :)

I know, but I NEED the AA miles by August! I'm not collecting AA miles for Disney, I'm actually using them for international flights haha. I don't have an immediate need for URs right now since Disney is almost paid :)

I need some life advice!

So, as I think I mentioned, I reached out to a DVC owner here on the boards to secure a reservation at the Grand Californian for next year. We spoke by email a few times & I paid a 25% deposit with the understanding that the reservation would be made on May 25 for our April trip.

Recently we got some potentially scary news about my soon-to-be MIL's health. We don't know which way it's going to go yet & after discussing everything, we decided not to go the DVC route. If the worst happens, there is absolutely no way to cancel & the owner's points could end up going to waste along with our money, leaving all of us in the lurch. If all goes well, we can book a regular hotel room, ABD, or something else.

I let the owner know about the situation & she replied indicating that there was a 10% cancellation fee, which was not communicated to me at the time of the deposit. However, in this case, she would charge a rate of $150 instead.

I'm a little :confused3 because nothing has been booked yet. These are not expiring points - they are actually points she indicated she would have to borrow from her next UY & that is one of the reasons we don't want to have her make the reservation.

Would you accept this $150 fee?

I’d ask for a full refund since nothing was booked yet. In the future I would sign a contract it protects the owner and the guest renting

I've rented out all my points since we bought our loaded contract last year and our next trip isn't until 2020. I've never asked for money without a signed contract first. I think you have a case here to ask her for your money back since 1) there was no mention of a nonrefundable deposit and 2) there isn't a contract in place.

I have received money via Paypal's goods and services, and I do get charged a 3% fee which PayPal keeps even if I refund the money. If you feel that it's reasonable, you can suggest that she keep 3% of the deposit as the PayPal fee and refund you the rest of your deposit. Otherwise, there is no other loss of points/money to her. I wouldn't feel right keeping someone 's deposit for points I can turn around and rent out to someone else for the same amount.

@afan I made it to two Targets today. I got the blue and white cotton dress and a deck of waterproof cards at the 1st one and the lobster beach bag and a pair of whale swim trunks for DS. I am not sure if they are too big for him or not.

They have the insulated coolers and the beach umbrellas that peaked my interest too but I refrained. Since it is a 14 day return policy, I expect in a couple of weeks to see some items.

How about Easy A?

giphy.gif
Or John Tucker Must Die

I used this site: https://salecalc.com/paypal & I figured out what the fee would be, then included it in my payment so that she would receive what she was supposed to without losing anything to fees.

Looking online...as of 5/7/2019...PayPal no longer reimburses sellers the 2.9% PayPal fee.:mad:...not sure how much you sent her..but would the $150=her fee

Last edited:
Funny all the movie talk. Our family is definitely NOT into cheerleading so I have never seen Bring It On. We do own copies of Zoolander and Dude Where's My Car though, courtesy of DD1!

Yeah, I'm old too. Not a clue who Spencer Pratt is either.

Last edited:
Wow, I did not realize there was such a gap between that and the others! I always think of that, She's the Man, JTMD all together in my head.

Those are both 2006 and Easy A is 2010. We started with Bring it on in 2000.

What disappoints me most about Chris Pratt is that he’s related to Spencer Pratt!

They aren't related but have joked about it. Which I found in more than one place too.

The bride arrived in Cinderella's carriage with the 6 white horses and the footmen. It came down the hill from the Epcot gate area - probably was staged in that area next to the bathrooms.

Last fall we saw Cinderella's carriage and the white horses. They were parked on the lawn in front of Boardwalk and then processed along the boardwalk to Seebreeze Point. I am sure it made for some great pictures, but I can't believe it is $3K!

I would appreciate a refresher on the current strategy for cancelling/PCing the CSR at the one year mark with the travel credit refreshing when the annual fee posts. I have looked at various posts and think I understand but don't want to make the wrong move. My CSR is a keeper, but it doesn't make sense for us to keep two. I have a use for the travel credit that I can make happen right after the AF posts, so here is what I am planning (dummy dates for the example):

Annual fee posts 6/1
Statement closes 6/7
Travel credit for year 2 available on 6/8
Purchase travel >= $300 on 6/10
PC by 6/30

Does this look right? Or am I missing anything I should keep in mind? Thanks in advance!

Those are both 2006 and Easy A is 2010. We started with Bring it on in 2000.
Yeah, I remembered Bring it On was 2000. The others surprised me, I think I was thinking Easy A came out in high school... but I graduated in 2008...

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter