I love credit cards so much! v2.0 (see first page for add'l details)

Status
Not open for further replies.
I need some life advice!

So, as I think I mentioned, I reached out to a DVC owner here on the boards to secure a reservation at the Grand Californian for next year. We spoke by email a few times & I paid a 25% deposit with the understanding that the reservation would be made on May 25 for our April trip.

Recently we got some potentially scary news about my soon-to-be MIL's health. We don't know which way it's going to go yet & after discussing everything, we decided not to go the DVC route. If the worst happens, there is absolutely no way to cancel & the owner's points could end up going to waste along with our money, leaving all of us in the lurch. If all goes well, we can book a regular hotel room, ABD, or something else.

I let the owner know about the situation & she replied indicating that there was a 10% cancellation fee, which was not communicated to me at the time of the deposit. However, in this case, she would charge a rate of $150 instead.

I'm a little :confused3 because nothing has been booked yet. These are not expiring points - they are actually points she indicated she would have to borrow from her next UY & that is one of the reasons we don't want to have her make the reservation.

Would you accept this $150 fee?

Tagging @SouthFayetteFan - Next Southwest schedule release date is now Thursday, 5/23/19? https://www.southwest.com/air/flight-schedules/ is still showing 5/30/19.

@3 DD love princesses - So SW is telling you they can get you to Hawaii, but they can't get you back home? You'll need to book with another airline? I'll try to chime in later with some thoughts about Hawaii.
Thanks yes online is still showing the 30th but I called again today and was told the 23rd. Basically I need to book two flights each way. One from bwi/dca to San Jose or San Francisco and then one from there to hnl. For some reason they can do a connecting flight to get us there but not back. Just means we will have an extra confirmation and check in. I haven’t played with dates to see the cost if it would be cheaper or not. Thinking about having DH apply for the sw personal at 60k June 1 if it’s still around. Then I can get the personal and business near the end of the year. That way we will both have a cp for 2020. Which means only buying 3 flights for the 5 of us.

I need some life advice!

So, as I think I mentioned, I reached out to a DVC owner here on the boards to secure a reservation at the Grand Californian for next year. We spoke by email a few times & I paid a 25% deposit with the understanding that the reservation would be made on May 25 for our April trip.

Recently we got some potentially scary news about my soon-to-be MIL's health. We don't know which way it's going to go yet & after discussing everything, we decided not to go the DVC route. If the worst happens, there is absolutely no way to cancel & the owner's points could end up going to waste along with our money, leaving all of us in the lurch. If all goes well, we can book a regular hotel room, ABD, or something else.

I let the owner know about the situation & she replied indicating that there was a 10% cancellation fee, which was not communicated to me at the time of the deposit. However, in this case, she would charge a rate of $150 instead.

I'm a little :confused3 because nothing has been booked yet. These are not expiring points - they are actually points she indicated she would have to borrow from her next UY & that is one of the reasons we don't want to have her make the reservation.

Did you sign a contract yet? Was there anything in it about canceling? I don’t make any bookings without the contract signed. Payment is then due 10 days after I make the reservation. If I haven’t booked the reservation then I would give them a full refund. But that is me. Once I make the reservation and borrow points then I can’t return those borrowed points to their original use year.

I remember liking Chris Pratt all the way back when he was in Everwood. I was a bit disappointed that Avengers: Infinity War and Endgame didn't bring back the Sharon Carter character (played by Chris Pratt's onscreen sister in Everwood, Emily VanCamp) so we could have a family reunion.
What disappoints me most about Chris Pratt is that he’s related to Spencer Pratt!

The Ability to Pay for Southwest Airlines Tickets With Chase Points is Back - VFTW

You can once again use UR points to pay for Southwest tickets by calling in to Chase's travel department.

We had a similar discussion last week about using Amex Membership Rewards points in a roundabout way to book Southwest flights so that they're cash bookings that earn you miles and status: https://www.reddit.com/r/DISchurners/comments/aj6vx6/news_discussion_thread/enk554c/

r/churning discussion here.

YMMV whether using UR points to purchase Southwest tickets as a cash booking is a better value than transferring UR points to Southwest’s RR program and booking award travel.

As u/payyoutuesday noted, "It would appear to SW as a cash booking. This would count toward the number of flights that you need to maintain A List status, would give you points for the flight, and would move you a little closer to your next CP. It's up to you to determine the value of these benefits."

However, u/Ayaa_a points out that, "It would be more valuable if you're sure you'll take the trip at that price. The advantage of transferring UR and booking with RR is flexibility and point matching. For me that's the biggest selling point of Southwest."

Did you sign a contract yet? Was there anything in it about canceling? I don’t make any bookings without the contract signed. Payment is then due 10 days after I make the reservation. If I haven’t booked the reservation then I would give them a full refund. But that is me. Once I make the reservation and borrow points then I can’t return those borrowed points to their original use year.
No, and nothing had been said before I made the deposit. I guess she had planned to send the contract along with the reservation number.

The inability to return borrowed points to the original UY is one of the main reasons we decided to ask her not to do it.

(not who you were replying too) I saw the same number of panhandlers in Colorado Springs--at intersections, etc--that I see in this area of the country. There were obviously mentally ill homeless people w their belongings in the downtown area. We passed several encampments under highway ramps while driving. Now, we live in a university town/small city with a proper downtown and have a similar population of mentally ill homeless. We have a much larger "invisible" population of homeless families who live in their cars when not at work and school (we do volunteer work w a transitional shelter).

Sad. I find the pan handlers annoying, but the homeless who do not reach out for help because of mental illness or maybe other reasons is just another matter altogether. Plus the ones that there is no help for. Some friends of mine go into the District in winter when it is super cold and bring clean clothes and blankets.

I used to have to avoid certain intersections because of the pan handlers, but it seems they've mostly disappeared in my immediate area. Then there was wheel chair guy who would zip up on you when you came out of the grocery store and be ugly if you didn't give him a dollar. Not a homeless guy, just a bum. I let the store know that it wouldn't cost me much in gas to get to another store if he continued his antics. Security did get a little more aggressive.

No, and nothing had been said before I made the deposit. I guess she had planned to send the contract along with the reservation number.

The inability to return borrowed points to the original UY is one of the main reasons we decided to ask her not to do it.

The few times I rented no one paid until the reservation was made and the contract signed. How did you pay? You may be able to get your money back through your payment method. Did you use paypal?

Since nothing has been booked and no contract signedI don't see the owner as having been damaged. If the booking had been made, that's an entirely different scenario.

Your other avenue is to contact the mods on the rental board and ask for advice - I'm assuming this was a rental board contact? No DVC owner is supposed to advertise/contact possible buyers outside of the rent/trade board.

I need some life advice!

So sorry about your soon to be MILs health......does seem odd she’s charging a cancellation fee when nothing has been done yet, especially considering the reason your asking to cancel...but who knows maybe others have tried something similar in the past.

Was there anything mentioned at all in regard to cancelling, was a contract signed...I seem to recall many who rent their points have a no cancellation policy

Maybe ask if she could waive the $150 fee considering the reason for the cancellation.

I’d ask for a full refund since nothing was booked yet. In the future I would sign a contract it protects the owner and the guest renting

I’d ask for a full refund since nothing was booked yet. In the future I would sign a contract it protects the owner and the guest renting

The other thing is to ask for a contract before you send money. You may not agree with everything in the contract.
There are a small percentage of dvc rental deals that do go wrong.

The few times I rented no one paid until the reservation was made and the contract signed. How did you pay? You may be able to get your money back through your payment method. Did you use paypal?

Since nothing has been booked and no contract signedI don't see the owner as having been damaged. If the booking had been made, that's an entirely different scenario.

Your other avenue is to contact the mods on the rental board and ask for advice - I'm assuming this was a rental board contact? No DVC owner is supposed to advertise/contact possible buyers outside of the rent/trade board.
I paid through PayPal (the goods/services option, not the "send money to a friend" option). I did find her on the rental board. I reached out to her first, so she didn't break that rule.

So sorry about your soon to be MILs health......does seem odd she’s charging a cancellation fee when nothing has been done yet, especially considering the reason your asking to cancel...but who knows maybe others have tried something similar in the past.

Was there anything mentioned at all in regard to cancelling, was a contract signed...I seem to recall many who rent their points have a no cancellation policy

Maybe ask if she could waive the $150 fee considering the reason for the cancellation.
Thank you. Hopefully it will be okay.

No contract (yet?) & no mention of a cancellation fee/charge of any kind.

If the reservation had been made & paid for then it would be our problem but I don't understand why she's imposing a fee before anything has been booked. I was wondering if anyone else saw or thought of something I didn't that would be a reason for the fee.

I paid through PayPal (the goods/services option, not the "send money to a friend" option). I did find her on the rental board. I reached out to her first, so she didn't break that rule.

If the reservation had been made & paid for then it would be our problem but I don't understand why she's imposing a fee before anything has been booked. I was wondering if anyone else saw or thought of something I didn't that would be a reason for the fee.

Ask her for all the money back. If she doesn't respond, reach out to PayPal.

I sell on eBay and PayPal does charge a fee on goods and services......wondering if she thinks the fee will not be reversed when she refunds you

Edited...to add PayPal use to refund the 2.9% fee....as of 5/7/19...they do not reimburse the seller when they issue a refund

Last edited:
Sorry, nope. Love Emma Stone, hate Penn Badgley in everything he's done.

Ha, so I am guessing you didn't watch You?? LOL, I adore Penn Badgley :-)

I was going to ask too if @Lain had watched You. I personally love Penn Badgley :lovestruc but dang is he creepy in that show.

Also, he grew up about 10 minutes down the road from me, which I didn't know until watching You and looking him up.

I'm really interested to see what's going to happen with my Citi bonuses. I've already asked for matches, but won't be in the future.

Can you get the personal cards and get the bonus after already having gotten the biz card bonuses once? I guess worst case scenario I scrap my plans for CIP 2 next month and get us personal cards.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter