I can't boil water with my new Samsung gas cooktop- Help!

There a different size "jets" for each burner, They determine the output by using different size holes. There are also different ones for natural gas vs liquid propane. Sound like you have the propane ones installed. Most stoves come with both type in the package and take about 10 minutes to swap out. They just screw in, check your instructions.

I you are using a propane jet with natural gas this will cause this problem. Natural gas jets have larger holes

Last edited:
When my new gas cooktop oven was installed a couple years ago, it was done as part of a remodel. It wouldn't light after all the work was done. Went back and forth with manufacturer and warranty company due to how/ when we purchased. Finally got a repair guy out and he said that too much glue was used at the install, that blocked the gas and he had to order a new part and then reinstall. Sorry I'm not saying this technologically correct, but he said problems happen frequently, when non service people install. So it does sound to me that yours isn't getting enough gas somehow. It should hard boil. Cooking with gas is my favorite way.

We were definitely looking at them, but didn't know much about them at the time we bought the Samsung gas cooktop. Most of them were 2500+ dollars, so more than we were looking to spend. My husband is in love with gas cooktops, what can I say?
That's fair. I think ours was $3500 but after 4 years it's been worth every penny and more.

The one thing I noticed about the cooktop is that is puts out quite a lot of heat, it's like overkill. When you turn on any burner, you have to dial the knob down to medium on all the burners. My husband was the installer, guess I should fire him?:confused3

Yes, my Dad was a plumber. He is retired now. I do take gas very seriously and our gas company is supposed to come out in the next few days. Thanks for your advice.

I'm beginning to think I'm the one who has the problem. As I said, my husband "installed" the cooktop. I'm not sure what's involved with that because I have absolutely no experience installing appliances of any kind. My husband didn't want to pay someone to do it. He said it wasn't hard and I have to trust him that he knows what he's doing. What else can I do?[/QUOTE
:flower3: I'm not trying to give you a hard time here - honestly, but don't be surprised if the gas company questions your gas line installation and perhaps reports you to your local building authority. I don't know of any jurisdiction where gas/plumbing/electrical modifications can be done without permits. It may seem like an inconvenient expense, but the reason is so inspections can be made to ensure the workmanship is SAFE. Your dad's decision to undersize the line was poor judgement. Also, when it comes to installing a gas appliance, they need to be calibrated appropriately for the altitude, supply line pressure and other factors. It really isn't just as simple as plugging in an electric one.

I think when the gas company and the appliance service Tech have made their inspections they will both find anomalies that will need correction. Hire professionals and don't begrudge the cost - getting the stove up and running safely will be well worth it in the long run.

Last edited:

:flower3: I'm not trying to give you a hard time here - honestly, but don't be surprised if the gas company questions your gas line installation and perhaps reports you to your local building authority. I don't know of any jurisdiction where gas/plumbing/electrical modifications can be done without permits. It may seem like an inconvenient expense, but the reason is so inspections can be made to ensure the workmanship is SAFE. Your dad's decision to undersize the line was poor judgement. Also, when it comes to installing a gas appliance, they need to be calibrated appropriately for the altitude, supply line pressure and other factors. It really isn't just as simple as plugging in an electric one.

I think when the gas company and the appliance service Tech have made their inspections they will both find anomalies that will need correction. Hire professionals and don't begrudge the cost - getting the stove up and running safely will be well worth it in the long run.
I agree. We had to have a permit to run the gas line when we bought our house and immediately switched out the electric stove for a gas one.

The savings of doing it yourself may be lost if costs skyrocket when permits need to be issued, old piping removed, reinstalled and inspections done.

OP - while you have this range with the improper installation, please make sure you have good CO monitors close by to make sure you are not in danger. Safety is your number one priority.

Last edited:

No, my husband is not reading this but I have read him some of the replies. This is definitely something to think about and I appreciate your thoughts on this. My husband is very stubborn and likes to do much of the work himself to save money. I'm not sure he'd admit if he did something wrong.

I totally understand. I run into this too and I have to work around it. If it were me, (and I work from home), I would wait until Monday and call in a professional installer and have them fix it. Sure he'll find out but sometimes it's easier to deal with it afterwards when it works than get them to agree to bringing in a pro.

First time I saw this in action was when my DH put in spark plugs wrong and wondered why the truck wasn't running. Mistakes happen. But...when it's plumbing, electrical, or gas line work...I call in a pro when hubby isn't around to argue.

Finally got a repair guy out and he said that too much glue was used at the install, that blocked the gas and he had to order a new part and then reinstall. Sorry I'm not saying this technologically correct, but he said problems happen frequently, when non service people install.

I think the term you are looking for is pipe sealant. (Although, that might not be the right term either. :laughing: ) It's like caulking, used around any joins of the pipes, to ensure no gas leaks. And yes, it needs to be done properly because any gas leaks could cause CO leaking:

OP - while you have this range with the improper, please make sure you have good CO monitors close by to make sure you are not in danger. Safety is your number one priority.

I think the term you are looking for is pipe sealant. (Although, that might not be the right term either. :laughing: ) It's like caulking, used around any joins of the pipes, to ensure no gas leaks. And yes, it needs to be done properly because any gas leaks could cause CO leaking:

:thumbsup2Plumber's Goop is what the pros call it!

There a different size "jets" for each burner, They determine the output by using different size holes. There are also different ones for natural gas vs liquid propane. Sound like you have the propane ones installed. Most stoves come with both type in the package and take about 10 minutes to swap out. They just screw in, check your instructions.

I you are using a propane jet with natural gas this will cause this problem. Natural gas jets have larger holes
The line is natural gas and not liquid propane, but thanks for the thought.

I appreciate your thoughts and honesty.

The PP is saying they think you most likely have the wrong ones installed. I tend to agree.

As for the DH install issue. I have the same problem. Mine gets very stubborn and insists what I think the problem could be couldn’t possibly be it. I have learned the fine art of pushing him just enough to “prove me wrong.” The trick here is to never, ever say, “see, I told you.” Instead you say, “anyone could have missed that, honey.” :flower3: I would press to have him check the jets and the connection “just to make me feel better.” If he won’t then I agree with a PP that you need to have someone come out. Gas is not something to play around with.

Your dad's decision to undersize the line was poor judgement.
My Dad had a conversation with my husband while installing the gas line- 3/4 inch or 1/2 inch. My husband said 1/2 inch would be sufficient since this cooktop was the only appliance being powered by gas. So he was only following my husband's wishes. I only found out about this recently after talking on the phone with my Dad. Between my Dad and my husband, I'm in tight spot and don't want to upset anyone. After all, I have to live with my husband!

My Dad had a conversation with my husband while installing the gas line- 3/4 inch or 1/2 inch. My husband said 1/2 inch would be sufficient since this cooktop was the only appliance being powered by gas. So he was only following my husband's wishes. I only found out about this recently after talking on the phone with my Dad. Between my Dad and my husband, I'm in tight spot and don't want to upset anyone. After all, I have to live with my husband!
Understood - but he was incorrect. Neither one of them are qualified gas-fitters, no? These things aren't really random judgement calls. Belaboring the exact details with you is likely not helpful, but just so you understand a little better, a gas-line into a home is fed by a main-line somewhere that's pressurized to deliver gas at a standardized rate. Appliances are standardized to require gas at a certain pressure. They simply won't work properly if all the "dots aren't connected" properly and safety issues come into play when the source pressure can't be accommodated by the local (in your house) supply line. I truly hope this gets resolved by the professionals you have now engaged - it's really the only path forward. I've spent 30+ years as a residential construction professional and have quite a good deal of expertise. I wish you well. :flower3:

And I'm really, really not trying to be critical. I'm actually chuckling a little here because growing up, I was raised by a wonderful dad who had the unfortunate inclination of doing things like your DH. So much so in fact, in our little town our surname became a euphemism for half-assing things with duct-tape and barbed wire. (For example, "Smith-ing"** something meant it was done in a way that was cheap, quick, serviceable but totally not correct practice.) Blessedly, even on his worst day though, he knew enough not to short-cut with gas, electricity or plumbing.

**Not our real surname - just an example.

Last edited:
I understand, however if the stove has jets for propane then they are too small and therefore you will not get enough heat to boil water. The stove is supposed to come jetted for natural gas but if this kit is not there (every Samsung stove comes with the LP kit) someone might have put them in. What you plumbed to it is not relevant to what is actually installed in the stove, They are two separate entities

http://support-us.samsung.com/cyber...355440!1529758396366&from_osc=&ia_cd=N0052849

I'm seriously ready to go back to my electric cooktop and I'd never thought I'd say that. What do you think about induction cooktops?:scratchin

We were definitely looking at them, but didn't know much about them at the time we bought the Samsung gas cooktop. Most of them were 2500+ dollars, so more than we were looking to spend. My husband is in love with gas cooktops, what can I say?

I got an induction range about 2 months ago and I LOVE it. I will never go back to gas or electric. The temperature control is instantaneous (even in my cast-iron cookware), and the ability to boil a pot of water in less than a minute has cut down on my cooking time immensely. It used to take me 15-20 minutes to boil water on my glass top electric range with cast iron pots. It took a couple of weeks to get used to, but I am so happy we made that purchase!

The PP is saying they think you most likely have the wrong ones installed. I tend to agree.

As for the DH install issue. I have the same problem. Mine gets very stubborn and insists what I think the problem could be couldn’t possibly be it. I have learned the fine art of pushing him just enough to “prove me wrong.” The trick here is to never, ever say, “see, I told you.” Instead you say, “anyone could have missed that, honey.” :flower3: I would press to have him check the jets and the connection “just to make me feel better.” If he won’t then I agree with a PP that you need to have someone come out. Gas is not something to play around with.

Ugh, no. Just no. This is so very 1940's housewife. If he made a mistake he should be adult enough to admit it instead of having someone stoke his ego.

Ugh, no. Just no. This is so very 1940's housewife. If he made a mistake he should be adult enough to admit it instead of having someone stoke his ego.
No, it’s called not embarrassing him. Saying “I told you so” to anyone isn’t the kind thing to do. He generally admits he was wrong, I just don’t find the need to rub it in. It was kind of tongue in cheek anyway. However she does it, the OP needs to make sure things are hooked up properly.

Last edited:
No, it’s called not embarrassing him. Saying “I told you so” to anyone isn’t the kind thing to do. He generally admits he was wrong, I just don’t find the need to rub it in. It was kind of tongue in cheek anyway. However she does it, the OP needs to make sure things are hooked up properly.
Believe me, after being married for 26 years, I know when to speak up and when to shut up(mostly). I don't like saying "I told you so" to anyone either. I find it very annoying and smug.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter