I can't boil water with my new Samsung gas cooktop- Help!

Shellsbutt

DIS Veteran
We just got through with a kitchen remodel- ripped out old cabinets and replaced, granite countertops, new vinyl plank flooring, new gas cooktop to replace old electric one. We've spent alot of money and I'm at my wit's end! It's a Samsung black stainless steel 36 inch gas cooktop. Model #NA36K7750TG. I know it sounds crazy, but I can't get any pot on any burner to come to what I consider a full, rolling boil. I thought maybe I wasn't letting it heat up long enough- I've let it sit over the burner for up to half an hour. The best I can get is a "rapid simmer". I know some of the burners are meant specifically for simmering but I've tried the others and it just won't work. I've got the right size pot for the burner, lid on and everything. I've tried cooking pasta in it according to package directions and surprise- they aren't done. Same thing with instant rice.

My husband says I just need to adjust my cooking time- I say no way, that's not how it should work. Maybe I'm forgetting what it's like cooking on gas cooktop? We've had electric since we moved into this house ten years ago. Before that, it was gas at the other house. I just don't know what to do. Called Samsung customer service and they give me the runaround. Say they won't come out until my gas company checks the pressure. If that checks out, they would charge me for a service call even though it's under warranty. It was bought several months ago. I've googled this model number and checked reviews, nothing comes up that I can find. Does anybody have any advice at all on what I could look for? My dad put in this gas line for us several months ago and the only thing he mentioned was if it should've been 3/4 inch pipe instead of the 1/2 inch pipe he used. Any ideas greatly appreciated!

I don’t know what to suggest. I have a coil stove and one of my burners doesn’t do much more than give my pasta a jacuzzi bath.

We just got through with a kitchen remodel- ripped out old cabinets and replaced, granite countertops, new vinyl plank flooring, new gas cooktop to replace old electric one. We've spent alot of money and I'm at my wit's end! It's a Samsung black stainless steel 36 inch gas cooktop. Model #NA36K7750TG. I know it sounds crazy, but I can't get any pot on any burner to come to what I consider a full, rolling boil. I thought maybe I wasn't letting it heat up long enough- I've let it sit over the burner for up to half an hour. The best I can get is a "rapid simmer". I know some of the burners are meant specifically for simmering but I've tried the others and it just won't work. I've got the right size pot for the burner, lid on and everything. I've tried cooking pasta in it according to package directions and surprise- they aren't done. Same thing with instant rice.

My husband says I just need to adjust my cooking time- I say no way, that's not how it should work. Maybe I'm forgetting what it's like cooking on gas cooktop? We've had electric since we moved into this house ten years ago. Before that, it was gas at the other house. I just don't know what to do. Called Samsung customer service and they give me the runaround. Say they won't come out until my gas company checks the pressure. If that checks out, they would charge me for a service call even though it's under warranty. It was bought several months ago. I've googled this model number and checked reviews, nothing comes up that I can find. Does anybody have any advice at all on what I could look for? My dad put in this gas line for us several months ago and the only thing he mentioned was if it should've been 3/4 inch pipe instead of the 1/2 inch pipe he used. Any ideas greatly appreciated!
aKind of strange I was reading and saw this and thought it is strange
High heat: Reflects how quickly the highest-powered burner heated water to near-boiling. Hope this helps a little.

When you hooked up the gas line pipe to the back of your stove, did you turn the valve up all the way? It sounds like you aren't getting enough gas. Maybe the pipe was screwed on, but the person didn't turn the valve up all the way open or turned the gas on fully, thinking he'd get back to it once the stove was properly moved in place.

There could also be something clogging the pipe when the old stove was removed and all that remodeling was done. :confused3 When was the gas pipe put in?

Last edited:

I have an electric stove at home, but when we used to visit the in-laws I had to cook on their gas range. The only way I could get a pot to come to a rolling boil was to cover the pot with a lid and wait. And wait, wait, wait...

I always assumed that was the exception and not the rule. Maybe not, but I'd definitely get the gas company to check the line. If that checks out, then press the warranty department. If the appliance is not working properly, it should be covered.

Is there an a/c vent nearby? Due to my experience of an a/c vent nearby it can hinder the process of boiling water uncovered with a gas stove. I had to close off the a/c vent and cover the pot to boil.

w/my gas stove the burners are adjustable so it may be that (the manual should show how to do it) but then this in your post caught my eye-

My dad put in this gas line for us several months ago and the only thing he mentioned was if it should've been 3/4 inch pipe instead of the 1/2 inch pipe he used

our existing gas line had to be upgraded to deal with the demands of the newer stove when we purchased it so it well could be that if your line should have been 3/4 and it's only 1/2 it's not getting the level of pressure needed (mine pulls more vs my older b/c it has 4 burners/center burner and a double oven). i would have the gas company do a pressure check.

w/my gas stove the burners are adjustable so it may be that (the manual should show how to do it) but then this in your post caught my eye-

our existing gas line had to be upgraded to deal with the demands of the newer stove when we purchased it so it well could be that if your line should have been 3/4 and it's only 1/2 it's not getting the level of pressure needed (mine pulls more vs my older b/c it has 4 burners/center burner and a double oven). i would have the gas company do a pressure check.
good catch! I missed that and would be there/in lies the problem.

I have had gas cooktop (Jenn-Air). I have never had an issue getting water to a rolling boil. I have one burner that does it very rapidly, and one burner that does it in a more normal time frame. I have another burner that would never get it to boiling. I would have the installer come back. I think they've just adjusted/installed your burners incorrectly. After my frist install, I had to get mine to come back because one of them was shooting flames up the side of the pan.

I'd look at the manual for adjustments, then if that doesn't solve it, call for a service person.
I say that, because my experience with gas stoves is limited to 3 of my 61 years when I had to use one. With that stove, my issue was getting the flame LOW enough so it didn't incinerate my food.

I'd look at the manual for adjustments, then if that doesn't solve it, call for a service person.
I say that, because my experience with gas stoves is limited to 3 of my 61 years when I had to use one. With that stove, my issue was getting the flame LOW enough so it didn't incinerate my food.

I was going to say something similar. I grew up with a gas stove, and except for one brief apartment stint with electric I've always had gas. Never had a problem getting to a full boil with any of the burners (even the small one labeled simmer).

I just recently remodeled and got a new Samsung gas stove too, mine is only 18000 btu and heats water in like less than 5 minutes. I just looked up your model and it's a 22000 BTU so it's even more powerful. I notice that this model has a wi fi version, is that what you have? maybe there's a setting with the app? checking the gas line is a good idea too, my clothes weren't drying right after they reinstalled the dryer, turns out the gas line valve was not turn to on position

Agree that you're seriously underpowering the stove and expecting it to operate with an undersized line. You're fortunate a Samsung authorized repair person hasn't come out yet, they may return information to Samsung that would void your warranty going forward. If the gas line was sitting there for a while waiting for the stove to be hooked up to it you may also have a problem where a spider made a home in the line, further restricting the flow.

An electric would offer worse/no performance if you used an underpowered line.

My dad put in this gas line for us several months ago and the only thing he mentioned was if it should've been 3/4 inch pipe instead of the 1/2 inch pipe he used. Any ideas greatly appreciated!
This is your answer. It has nothing to do with the appliance, it was just installed incorrectly. If it needs a 3/4" pipe you can't just substitute a 1/2" one as it is not getting enough gas in a 1/2" pipe. That is a quarter inch of capacity your cooktop is not getting.

I agree with the others that you might want to get that fixed asap (before you call out Samsung) as you may be violating the warranty too.

Not only that but it can be plain dangerous. According my Petroleum Engineer child, having a too small line can have Carbon Monoxide buildup in the combustion chamber. Kid is visiting, was getting coffee, and gave me a full chemical properties lecture that had my head spinning so I may have worded that incorrectly. However, I did get out of it that it can lead to a risk of CO poisoning.

Get it tested asap.

Last edited:
I hope your dad is a plumber! A gas line should be installed by a professional and pass an inspection. Gas is deadly and there is never a reason to take chances.

My new gas stove is a regular lg range and can boil water in 10 minutes.

Please have your gas line inspected.

First of all, can I just say that the Dis is awesome!! Thank you to everyone who took the time to read my post and respond. I appreciate all the advice! I honestly thought no one would reply since this is such a weird situation. So I left out some information and it was not on purpose. I didn't want the post to be lengthy and confusing. It had been a long night of arguing with my husband. I feel like I've gone crazy and nobody believes me. Anyway, to clarify- this samsung cooktop is the only gas appliance in the kitchen. There is no stove underneath it. So the gas line that my Dad put in is only powering the cooktop. We have a Kitchenaid wall oven and microwave that we put in when we moved into this house. So when my husband researched this online, 1/2 inch line was said to be sufficient. My Dad was a plumber(now retired and is 76 years old.) Yes, he was on his hands and knees in our attic this winter to put this gas line in so we could save some money. He had mentioned to my husband about 3/4inch pipe and my husband said no- 1/2 inch was fine because of what he'd read online. My husband was the "installer" of the cooktop. I asked him if he made sure when he connected it that everything was on tight. He insisted it was and who am I not to believe him? I don't know how any of this stuff works but I know that it's an act of frustration to try and cook a pot of pasta. My husband called the gas company and they are coming out to check the pressure in the line.

I have a feeling everything is going to check out fine and we are back to square one. I have spoken to Samsung customer service twice. First call was on Monday to explain the problem. I was given a ticket# and told to expect a call within 24-48 hours to set up a time for service call. My husband got a voicemail on Tuesday morning basically saying the same thing, we will contact you within 48 hours. Tuesday goes by, Wednesday, and most of yesterday. I finally give in and call around 5pm yesterday. They had cancelled the ticket because they couldn't get ahold of us, utter BS. Anyway, was told that we have to call our gas company before they will even come out. Samsung will charge us for the service call even though it's under warranty if the gas checks out fine. So there ya go.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter