I can't boil water with my new Samsung gas cooktop- Help!

We just got through with a kitchen remodel- ripped out old cabinets and replaced, granite countertops, new vinyl plank flooring, new gas cooktop to replace old electric one. We've spent alot of money and I'm at my wit's end! It's a Samsung black stainless steel 36 inch gas cooktop. Model #NA36K7750TG. I know it sounds crazy, but I can't get any pot on any burner to come to what I consider a full, rolling boil. I thought maybe I wasn't letting it heat up long enough- I've let it sit over the burner for up to half an hour. The best I can get is a "rapid simmer". I know some of the burners are meant specifically for simmering but I've tried the others and it just won't work. I've got the right size pot for the burner, lid on and everything. I've tried cooking pasta in it according to package directions and surprise- they aren't done. Same thing with instant rice.

My husband says I just need to adjust my cooking time- I say no way, that's not how it should work. Maybe I'm forgetting what it's like cooking on gas cooktop? We've had electric since we moved into this house ten years ago. Before that, it was gas at the other house. I just don't know what to do. Called Samsung customer service and they give me the runaround. Say they won't come out until my gas company checks the pressure. If that checks out, they would charge me for a service call even though it's under warranty. It was bought several months ago. I've googled this model number and checked reviews, nothing comes up that I can find. Does anybody have any advice at all on what I could look for? My dad put in this gas line for us several months ago and the only thing he mentioned was if it should've been 3/4 inch pipe instead of the 1/2 inch pipe he used. Any ideas greatly appreciated!

OP. You have a potential safety issue that needs an expert to look at. Here the gas company will come out for free and evaluate equipment. Then you will know what your options are.

My husband said maybe it's a regulator or something like that? Didn't think it's the size of the gas line. Don't let anyone beat you up for letting your dad do the work (you did say he is a retired plumber so he is qualified to do the work correctly). I have no idea how having a regular guy like your husband actually install the appliance factors into your warranty? I mean if I go out and buy a new gas stove, my very handy husband is going to hook it up, we are not paying a plumber to do it. Recently my gas oven stopped working correctly and my husband figured out it was a burner issue and he just swapped out the one that was in the broiler which I never use with the oven one and voila, it worked perfectly again. Plenty of people do their own work. Did you google this issue and find any solutions? It is amazing how sometimes you can fix things like this easily with the help of youtube, lol.

OP. You have a potential safety issue that needs an expert to look at. Here the gas company will come out for free and evaluate equipment. Then you will know what your options are.
Okay, thanks tvguy. Did you say you were from the Sacramento area? We have PG&E for gas. My husband filled out some sort of application online and I thought that seemed funny. He got an email back from them saying they are experiencing longer than usual timelines?? I don't think he actually spoke to someone over the phone. I guess I'll have him call back on Monday.

My husband said maybe it's a regulator or something like that? Didn't think it's the size of the gas line. Don't let anyone beat you up for letting your dad do the work (you did say he is a retired plumber so he is qualified to do the work correctly). I have no idea how having a regular guy like your husband actually install the appliance factors into your warranty? I mean if I go out and buy a new gas stove, my very handy husband is going to hook it up, we are not paying a plumber to do it. Recently my gas oven stopped working correctly and my husband figured out it was a burner issue and he just swapped out the one that was in the broiler which I never use with the oven one and voila, it worked perfectly again. Plenty of people do their own work. Did you google this issue and find any solutions? It is amazing how sometimes you can fix things like this easily with the help of youtube, lol.
Thank you for the support. Yes, my dad was a plumber and he has always been meticulous with his work- to the point of being anal. My husband has researched extensively online and can't come up with anything that would be causing this issue. We're going to take a break from it this weekend- too much stress.

Gas stoves will come with both natural gas and lp gas nozzles for the burners. Your description leads me to believe the LP nozzle, which has a much lower flow rate, is installed on your burners.

I have the same problem with my electric cooktop. It is only a year old. I called out Whirlpool to come out right after we moved to our new home. He said they are built to not get as hot as the older stoves. It's part of the energy saving requirements. Drives me crazy!

Okay, thanks tvguy. Did you say you were from the Sacramento area? We have PG&E for gas. My husband filled out some sort of application online and I thought that seemed funny. He got an email back from them saying they are experiencing longer than usual timelines?? I don't think he actually spoke to someone over the phone. I guess I'll have him call back on Monday.
Yes I am in Sacramento. I think they have a lot of crews tied on restoration after the Carr, River and Ranch fires. I went up to Redding 2 weeks ago and we counting 40 P-G & E vehicles coming up I-5 as we were coming home.
Now, remember if you ever have a safety concern, just call the fire department They can evaluate it, and if the fire department feels it is a safety issue, THEY will call P-G&E and under those circumstances you will get an immediate response from P-G & E.
I had an issue with my parents gas service and called P-G & E. They said they would be out a week later. I deal with the fire department in my job, and called someone I knew who was on duty. They sent a fire truck out (no lights and siren) and they felt it was an immediate hazards. They contacted P-G& E and within an hour, they had come, replaced the gas meter (bad regulator) and gone. The gas pressure inside the house was pulsing up and down, you could hear the pilot lights on the water heater and furnace roar when the pressure when up.
A week later, P-G & E showed up again, they never got word that the issue had been fixed.

I have a 1/2" gas line to my stove and pretty sure i can run all the burners and the oven with plenty of pressure to spare.

It's usually not the brand, it's the BTUs. When I research ranges I always check on what BTUs they supply, which is actually often kind of hard to discover. (When shopping in person you will find them on the metal label at the side of the opening for the lower front door or drawer.) Also, remember that air flow in the room affects gas burners; if there is a draft flowing over them, it will often reduce the flame.

The model you mentioned shows these ratings for the burners:
  • Burner - Left Front 9500 BTU
  • Burner - Left Rear 9500 BTU
  • Burner - Right Front 13000 BTU
  • Burner - Right Rear 5000 BTU, Precise Simmer
  • Burner - Center Front 22000 BTU, Dual Brass
At those outputs, that right rear burner is never going to give you a rolling boil unless the pan is tiny and has a tight lid. You should be using the right front or the center front burner if you are boiling a large pot of water. (I'm pretty sure that your father should be able to test the pressure output on the burners to see if they are meeting spec.)

I remember for the last range I bought, I was shopping at Best Buy and asked about BTUs. The salesman said that ranges don't rate for BTUs, that I was confusing them with air conditioners. I told him that I had obviously confused BB for a real store, and walked out.

Last edited:
My Dad had a conversation with my husband while installing the gas line- 3/4 inch or 1/2 inch. My husband said 1/2 inch would be sufficient......

Sounds like they both have opinions, but what matters is what is recommended by Samsung. If not installed per their specs, they aren't responsible if the range doesn't work correctly. Gas lines should only be installed by licensed plumbers, this isn't something the typical home handyman should attempt.

Last edited:
It's usually not the brand, it's the BTUs. When I research ranges I always check on what BTUs they supply, which is actually often kind of hard to discover. (When shopping in person you will find them on the metal label at the side of the opening for the lower front door or drawer.) Also, remember that air flow in the room affects gas burners; if there is a draft flowing over them, it will often reduce the flame.

The model you mentioned shows these ratings for the burners:
  • Burner - Left Front 9500 BTU
  • Burner - Left Rear 9500 BTU
  • Burner - Right Front 13000 BTU
  • Burner - Right Rear 5000 BTU, Precise Simmer
  • Burner - Center Front 22000 BTU, Dual Brass
At those outputs, that right rear burner is never going to give you a rolling boil unless the pan is tiny and has a tight lid. You should be using the right front or the center front burner if you are boiling a large pot of water. (I'm pretty sure that your father should be able to test the pressure output on the burners to see if they are meeting spec.)

I remember for the last range I bought, I was shopping at Best Buy and asked about BTUs. The salesman said that ranges don't rate for BTUs, that I was confusing them with air conditioners. I told him that I had obviously confused BB for a real store, and walked out.
Thanks for the advice. We had only been trying to boil on the right front or center. As I understand it, the right rear is just for simmering, its a small burner. The salesman from Best Buy sounds like an idiot! I am adjusting somewhat to the newish cooktop. I can't rationalize buying something else at this point. PG&E came out to inspect our gas line, no leaks and correct pressure. My husband will do most of the cooking and I'll stick to baking. That might have been my plan all along :D

Sounds like they both have opinions, but what matters is what is recommended by Samsung. If not installed per their specs, they aren't responsible if the range doesn't work correctly. Gas lines should only be installed by licensed plumbers, this isn't something the typical home handyman should attempt.
As I said previously, my dad installed the line and is a retired plumber.

Samsung gas cooktops are a waste of money. We recently redid out kitchen, on a budget (we are going to sell our house in a few years) and replaced everything with Bosch appliances including gas cooktop reviewed here. The previous one was also Samsung - real frustration.
Well, live and learn I guess :confused3 My husband seems to be having a love affair with Samsung at the moment. Although the rest of our kitchen appliances are Kitchenaid, we only replaced the old electric cooktop. That was a Thermador.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts