I can't boil water with my new Samsung gas cooktop- Help!

Is there an a/c vent nearby? Due to my experience of an a/c vent nearby it can hinder the process of boiling water uncovered with a gas stove. I had to close off the a/c vent and cover the pot to boil.
There is an a/c vent in the kitchen but not what I would consider nearby enough to cause any problems.

w/my gas stove the burners are adjustable so it may be that (the manual should show how to do it) but then this in your post caught my eye-

our existing gas line had to be upgraded to deal with the demands of the newer stove when we purchased it so it well could be that if your line should have been 3/4 and it's only 1/2 it's not getting the level of pressure needed (mine pulls more vs my older b/c it has 4 burners/center burner and a double oven). i would have the gas company do a pressure check.
Thanks for the advice, we don't have a stove underneath the cooktop. Everything else in the kitchen is electric. Gas company is going to come out hopefully soon.

I have had gas cooktop (Jenn-Air). I have never had an issue getting water to a rolling boil. I have one burner that does it very rapidly, and one burner that does it in a more normal time frame. I have another burner that would never get it to boiling. I would have the installer come back. I think they've just adjusted/installed your burners incorrectly. After my frist install, I had to get mine to come back because one of them was shooting flames up the side of the pan.
The one thing I noticed about the cooktop is that is puts out quite a lot of heat, it's like overkill. When you turn on any burner, you have to dial the knob down to medium on all the burners. My husband was the installer, guess I should fire him?:confused3

I'd look at the manual for adjustments, then if that doesn't solve it, call for a service person.
I say that, because my experience with gas stoves is limited to 3 of my 61 years when I had to use one. With that stove, my issue was getting the flame LOW enough so it didn't incinerate my food.
Yes, this cooktop has the same issue. You turn on a dial and it's like WOOSH. That's supposed to be the sound of big flames. First time I heated the teakettle and I couldn't pick it up by the handle without using an oven mitt.

I just recently remodeled and got a new Samsung gas stove too, mine is only 18000 btu and heats water in like less than 5 minutes. I just looked up your model and it's a 22000 BTU so it's even more powerful. I notice that this model has a wi fi version, is that what you have? maybe there's a setting with the app? checking the gas line is a good idea too, my clothes weren't drying right after they reinstalled the dryer, turns out the gas line valve was not turn to on position
Yes, we have the wi fi version, but it's not hooked up nor do we intend to use it. I swear, every new appliance comes with all these bells and whistles. I don't care about all that. I just want it to do basic stuff like boil water. Is that too much to ask? My husband has a love affair with Samsung. He loved the fact that it was black stainless steel and that the knobs light up when they are on. The grate is designed so you can slide pans or pots across without picking them up. Great.

Agree that you're seriously underpowering the stove and expecting it to operate with an undersized line. You're fortunate a Samsung authorized repair person hasn't come out yet, they may return information to Samsung that would void your warranty going forward. If the gas line was sitting there for a while waiting for the stove to be hooked up to it you may also have a problem where a spider made a home in the line, further restricting the flow.

An electric would offer worse/no performance if you used an underpowered line.
I'm seriously ready to go back to my electric cooktop and I'd never thought I'd say that. What do you think about induction cooktops?:scratchin

I hope your dad is a plumber! A gas line should be installed by a professional and pass an inspection. Gas is deadly and there is never a reason to take chances.

My new gas stove is a regular lg range and can boil water in 10 minutes.

Please have your gas line inspected.
Yes, my Dad was a plumber. He is retired now. I do take gas very seriously and our gas company is supposed to come out in the next few days. Thanks for your advice.

I'm seriously ready to go back to my electric cooktop and I'd never thought I'd say that. What do you think about induction cooktops?:scratchin

No need to do that. Gas cooking is not the problem. Something is wrong here. I've used gas cooking for 45 years (with a a few years in between of electric). I think installing gas cooktops is tricky. As I said, I had to have my installer come back and make adjustments on mine.

Something different to consider (if it turns out not to be the gas line). I've got stainless pans and I've noticed with my Samsung gas range that while the water gets hot, it takes a super long time for the actual rolling boil to occur, even though there are some bubbles on the side -- stirring helps a bit. I don't have problems with cooking using my non-stick cookware - just my old fashioned Revereware.

Something different to consider (if it turns out not to be the gas line). I've got stainless pans and I've noticed with my Samsung gas range that while the water gets hot, it takes a super long time for the actual rolling boil to occur, even though there are some bubbles on the side -- stirring helps a bit. I don't have problems with cooking using my non-stick cookware - just my old fashioned Revereware.
Thanks for thought. I have Revereware too and that's what I've been trying to use on these burners with no success. We have a whole set of them- 1, 1 1/2, 2, 3 and 6 quart saucepans. We've had them for years. My husband had the same idea and so he ordered an Emeril Lagasse 2 quart stainless steel copper core saucepan online to see if that would make a difference. No luck.

No need to do that. Gas cooking is not the problem. Something is wrong here. I've used gas cooking for 45 years (with a a few years in between of electric). I think installing gas cooktops is tricky. As I said, I had to have my installer come back and make adjustments on mine.
I'm beginning to think I'm the one who has the problem. As I said, my husband "installed" the cooktop. I'm not sure what's involved with that because I have absolutely no experience installing appliances of any kind. My husband didn't want to pay someone to do it. He said it wasn't hard and I have to trust him that he knows what he's doing. What else can I do?

I'm beginning to think I'm the one who has the problem. As I said, my husband "installed" the cooktop. I'm not sure what's involved with that because I have absolutely no experience installing appliances of any kind. My husband didn't want to pay someone to do it. He said it wasn't hard and I have to trust him that he knows what he's doing. What else can I do?

Well, you can pay to have an appliance installer come out and check it. I know it will cost. My husband does a lot of things to also, but anything to do with gas, with the exception of a clothes dryer, he will not touch. I think it can be very tricky. As I said upthread, I actually did pay to have mine installed and they still messed it up and I had to have them back for adjustments. And the person who installed it does it fairly regularly.

My husband was the "installer" of the cooktop. I asked him if he made sure when he connected it that everything was on tight.

Not tight, but is the valve that regulates the pressure turned all the way UP? Like water, the more you turn the knob on the faucet, the more water comes out.

Thanks for the advice, we don't have a stove underneath the cooktop. Everything else in the kitchen is electric.

It doesn't matter how many appliances you have, there is not enough gas going to the burners you've got.

I just recently remodeled and got a new Samsung gas stove too, mine is only 18000 btu and heats water in like less than 5 minutes.

My new gas stove is a regular lg range and can boil water in 10 minutes.

Yes, gas stoves have been around for the last century and a half-ish. The engineers figured out how to get a pot of water to boil in 5-10 minutes, depending on the size of the pot. Gas stoves should normally cook faster than electric, as the heat is instant on. Whereas, electric burners, especially old ones, you have to wait for the burners to heat up before they can then heat up the foods.

The one thing I noticed about the cooktop is that is puts out quite a lot of heat, it's like overkill. When you turn on any burner, you have to dial the knob down to medium on all the burners.
Yes, this cooktop has the same issue. You turn on a dial and it's like WOOSH. That's supposed to be the sound of big flames. First time I heated the teakettle and I couldn't pick it up by the handle without using an oven mitt.

That's the way it should be. You turn on the gas burner, then you adjust the flame down to where you want it. It sounds like the gas is coming out okay. Just not enough pressure right underneath the pot to fully heat your food. Having the burner up high doesn't heat the pot faster. As you've noticed, it just makes the handle and sometimes the lid too hot to hold. Turn down the flame, so it's concentrated underneath the pot and the flames aren't shooting up the sides.

Thanks for thought. I have Revereware too and that's what I've been trying to use on these burners with no success.

Revereware should be fine. Stainless steel should heat even faster than other types of metal, assuming you have a good disk on the bottom, which Revereware should have. They are designed for gas stoves. I went back to using all stainless steel pots & pans and got rid of all non-stick and the toxic chemicals they have. I've ruined many a non-stick pot, :rolleyes1 which I learned can start leeching the non-stick after that. :headache: I had to replace all my plastic & nylon utensils as they'd all melt when touching the bottom of the pans as the stainless steel gets so hot. :headache:

I actually can't get my burners LOW enough to simmer foods in the stainless steel. The flame will go out if I lower it any more. I have to crack the lid and leave it a little ajar instead of having it on tight.

Last edited:
We bought a new stove, installed it, and the burners would not go very high. It ended up being step up for propane rather that gas. Every new stove should come with a bag of parts to convert it to propane. Ours did not. We ended up returning the stove for another since you can not buy replacement convert from propane to gas.

Okay, my dad gave me some homework. I need to find out the BTU's of my gas appliances. They include furnace, pool heater, hot water tank and gas cooktop. He wants to find out if we are exceeding demand before gas company comes out?

I'll be very interested to see what is discovered. You said two things that caught my eye.

*your hubby isn't reading this is he?*

A. The fact that your retired Daddy is 76 and even though he is a plumber, 76 year olds can have eyesight and declining cognitive that can affect certain things. I know, I know...it's not a popular thing to say. I'm a bit of a care-giver for my senior parents and I've seen several instances of this. And B. your husband who isn't a gas line installer plumber researched it on the internet and was involved in the decisions. I cringe when my husband wants to do plumbing or electrical and I also prefer to hire a in-their- prime professional to do a professional job.

There. I said it.

I suspect user error somewhere. *runs for cover* :teeth::teeth:

With induction ranges out now I don't know why anyone would not get one.
We were definitely looking at them, but didn't know much about them at the time we bought the Samsung gas cooktop. Most of them were 2500+ dollars, so more than we were looking to spend. My husband is in love with gas cooktops, what can I say?

I'll be very interested to see what is discovered. You said two things that caught my eye.

*your hubby isn't reading this is he?*

A. The fact that your retired Daddy is 76 and even though he is a plumber, 76 year olds can have eyesight and declining cognitive that can affect certain things. I know, I know...it's not a popular thing to say. I'm a bit of a care-giver for my senior parents and I've seen several instances of this. And B. your husband who isn't a gas line installer plumber researched it on the internet and was involved in the decisions. I cringe when my husband wants to do plumbing or electrical and I also prefer to hire a in-their- prime professional to do a professional job.

There. I said it.

I suspect user error somewhere. *runs for cover* :teeth::teeth:
No, my husband is not reading this but I have read him some of the replies. This is definitely something to think about and I appreciate your thoughts on this. My husband is very stubborn and likes to do much of the work himself to save money. I'm not sure he'd admit if he did something wrong.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter