• 6-9 months

• 9-12 months

• 12-15 months

• 15-18 months

• 18 months-2 years

• More than two years

• Other

Results are only viewable after voting.
9-12 months group. I stopped at 11 months cold turkey bc I had a sudden emergency hospitalization which stunk. I have cystic fibrosis, so being on numerous medications and daily treatments-I was so proud to make it to 11 months bf. I also had to do daily pumping and dumping, storing milk, etc. It was alot, but totally worth it.
With my 2nd baby I hope to make it to 18 months! I can't wait for our november trip to be a disney nursing mama!

I hate when people make you feel guilty. I wasn't BF nor were my sisters (early 60's). My DM made formula from evaporated milk, water and powdered sugar each day. No Enfamil back then!
I BF each child for 6 weeks. I always hated going to work/shopping/anything and hearing a child cry and then my whole blouse was soaked.
Now my DD has freinds with babies and the child is pulling up the moms shirts in public and DD finds it uncomfortable when these are 3 year olds.
More power to you but it just wasn't for me. BTW, mine are healthy, happy college grads with jobs so it worked for me.

:thumbsup2While breastfeeding was something that was a big success for me, there is way too much guilt out there. I remember trying to wear my DD; you hear people talk about how great it is for mom and baby. Well, can I just say, she HATED it. She would scream like a banshee. She hated being swaddled, too. She liked the stroller and she liked it sitting straight up and would scream if you tried to lay the back down. She would fall asleep sitting up and I'd have to leave here like that or she'd wake up and freak. The nasty comments I used to get from people when they saw her sleeping with her head slumped over. :sad2:I know I digress, but the point is nothing is one size fits all when it comes to raising children and nobody should feel guilt over doing what they need to do for their kids and themselves. :goodvibes

DS 1- 19mo.
DS2- 12 mo.
DD3- 18 mo.
DS4- 24 mo. 1 day LOL
DD5- 24 mo.
DS6- 15.5 months and still going strong.
ETA, survived bouts of thrush, clogged ducts, and mastitis (2 times!). I was very determined to make it work.

Hippie homebirthing momma here! I'm also a baby-wearing, co-sleeping, make-my-own-baby-food, extended-nursing, homeschooling momma as well, so I've got all of my WEIRDO bases covered!:rotfl2:QUOTE]

Me three! :) All of them! We also a selective/non-vax family. We are trying to be as organic in our eating as possible too, cleaned out our pantry and donated all of the foods that are packed with perservitives, and GMO's pirate: LOL...but seriously... Im loving it! Bring on the flamessss!:hippie:

MommyBell, we must be reading the same research :rotfl:

We're a NO VAX family, have our own organic garden, and our own sweet little hens for fresh eggs (well, they're really pets with benefits...my daughter has tamed them all). Very little refined sugar, very little meat (and it has to be steroid/antibiotic/hormone free), gluten free, dairy free...yeah, we're a blast to around when you bring up food!:hippie:

Of course, when we travel to WDW, our standards have to relax a bit. Last I heard, Disney doesn't have a chicken pen out behind each resort providing fresh eggs :rotfl2:

I've read a few of the replies and I must admit I'm most definitely not the homebirthing, baby-wearing type (it's just not me). I nursed ds #1 until he was just over 2 years old and nursed ds#2 until he was almost 2.5yo. Neither of them ever took a bottle - ever - which was a little problematic when I was working evenings, but it all worked out in the end. Neither of them had pacifiers either - but that was just my personal preference, I just don't like them - and both slept with me and dh until they were old enough/ready enough to sleep in their own beds. So I guess it happened that I bought a crib for storage purposes and bottles for playthings in the end LOL!

I was 30yo when I had my first child and 33yo when I had my second. I was extremely lucky - I had absolutely no problems whatsoever nursing them and they both thrived from day one.

I very much agree with the posts I've read below about the fact that there is way too much guilt associated with ANY mothering choice/necessity. I've always believed that whatever works for the mom/child/family is the right decision for them. :goodvibes

I also feel for those mommies who tried their hardest to nurse and were unable to sustain it. I think it's particularly difficult for the over 30 moms (like I was) because every nursing mom I know personally who starting into her 30's had some kind of difficulty. And there seems to be so little support in the maternity wards. In spite of a very clearly articulated birthing plan that specified my intention to nurse and instructions not to offer us formula, after my first night of cluster feedings, when I asked my nurse if it was ok that he seemed to want to eat so much, the first thing she did was pull out a bottle of formula and suggest that I give it to him! :mad: I was fortunate to have a good support system.

I was 36 when I had the twins, which I nursed for 14 months, and had very little problems except at the hosp. when the pediatrician (on call) told me I could never successfully breastfeed twins. :mad:
At our hosp., we can have babies sleep in-room but we are required to let the nurse take the baby for a check-up & bath during the night. I went out to see what was taking so long and saw the nurse feeding DS with a bottle. I was furious!
The next am I called my lactation consultant and she came right away and chatted with the nursing staff. Then a new nurse came in and helped me a lot, since figuring out how to comfortably BF both at the same time was a challenge after my c-section.

I nursed my oldest and youngest to a year. My middle dd quit turkey at almost 11 months. I would have gone longer with them ( especially my littlest one,) but they decided they were done and that was it! Glad it was on their terms.

#1 for 12 weeks (lots of issues, blood in stool,ec went on to hypoallergenic formula)
#2 for 24 months
#3 for 26 months and haven't weaned. She nurses anywhere from 1-3x a day.

I'm glad to see there's some here nursing past age 2!

I weaned my DD pretty easily right when she was 12 months old. I was already pregnant w/ my DS, & my OB/GYN told me I needed to stop breastfeeding since my body was also having to feed the new baby. So she stopped nursing right at 12 months (& I was 3 months pregnant), but she never had any problems w/ stopping - she was ready.

My older DS pretty much self-weaned at about 14 months.

W/ my younger DS who is now 25 months, I haven't been able to wean at all! I don't want to force him to stop nursing because, obviously, he still is interested & finds comfort in it. However, my inlaws & my mom think I'm crazy... my mom is always saying something to me about needing to get him to stop! I don't nurse in public anymore like I did when he was younger than a year, but he nurses at naptime, at bedtime, once during the night, & first thing in the morning. (Actually, in my state, I think it's illegal to nurse a child older than a year in public!)

Although I never thought I'd be breastfeeding a 2-year-old, I've decided he'll stop when he's ready... but my mom gives me a hard time, & my inlaws think I'm weird. And it's kinda awkward when we're at a family gathering, & he's pulling at my shirt...

So, anyway, my vote for this poll is 12-15 months for my older two, & still nursing at 25 months for my younger DS!

One of the things I missed most about my older DD's & DS's baby days was the time spent cuddling & nursing, so when our surprise #3 came along, it was so nice to have those cuddle times again! Maybe that's why I haven't really been all that inclined to stop him... I know how fast these days fly by! 0

Oh, I also survived 1 bout of mastitis w/ older DS & several bouts w/ younger DS! And all three of mine were "round the clock" nursers! I was 26 & 28 w/ DD & older DS & just turned 36 when younger DS was born, & I never had any problems w/ my milk supply... However, I NEVER could pump a full bottle!

With my first less than one month, but with DD I am determined as hell to make it at least to 2 years. I have terrible supply issues but found Domperidone and it is my miracle pill! DD has not had one drop of formula and we are just over 5 months. :goodvibes

I nursed my son for 10 months, but supplemented with formula after 6 months. My daughter is about 4 months old now and I am nursing exclusively, but I suspect that I will be adding in formula when I go back to work in a few weeks. I just don't get that much with a pump, so I think she may get one bottle of formula a day at daycare.

With my first less than one month, but with DD I am determined as hell to make it at least to 2 years. I have terrible supply issues but found Domperidone and it is my miracle pill! DD has not had one drop of formula and we are just over 5 months. :goodvibes

Domperidone was my miracle pill, too!

W/ my younger DS who is now 25 months, I haven't been able to wean at all! I don't want to force him to stop nursing because, obviously, he still is interested & finds comfort in it. However, my inlaws & my mom think I'm crazy... my mom is always saying something to me about needing to get him to stop! I don't nurse in public anymore like I did when he was younger than a year, but he nurses at naptime, at bedtime, once during the night, & first thing in the morning. (Actually, in my state, I think it's illegal to nurse a child older than a year in public!)

Although I never thought I'd be breastfeeding a 2-year-old, I've decided he'll stop when he's ready... but my mom gives me a hard time, & my inlaws think I'm weird. And it's kinda awkward when we're at a family gathering, & he's pulling at my shirt...

My twins are about the same age (born 7/2/09) and DS is nursing about as much as your LO at this point. I'm just preparing to spend some time at teh shore w/ my family & last year my mom was getting on my case about NIP, so I'm sure this year she'll be on me to wean, eh..... he'll quit when he's ready. He yells for "****!" when he's tired or stressed.:goodvibes

My first self weaned at 10 months and my second just turned 2 yesterday and still nurses at bedtime and naptime. My husband puts her to bed a lot though so there are days she doesn't nurse at all. By the way, I am 37 and never had an issue with supply. I could fill a whole freezer if I wanted :)

I'm glad to see there's some here nursing past age 2!

I weaned my DD pretty easily right when she was 12 months old. I was already pregnant w/ my DS, & my OB/GYN told me I needed to stop breastfeeding since my body was also having to feed the new baby. So she stopped nursing right at 12 months (& I was 3 months pregnant), but she never had any problems w/ stopping - she was ready.

Sadly most pediatricians and even OB/GYN's have very limited knowledge of breastfeeding. Which is why most people do not do it. You do not have to wean one baby in order to have another. I was told this with my first/second child. I weaned my first baby at 11 months because my second was due a month later. I was 19, I didn't know any different. When I got pregnant with my 6th baby, I was still nursing my 5th. I continued nursing him through pregnancy and then tandem nursed them both. Your body will at one point stop making milk and start making colostrum for the new baby. Even if you are still nursing. A lot of children stop nursing when the milk changes, but if don't it's fine to keep nursing them.

I'm sure you already know all this. But I wanted to clear it up for others who might not. ;)

Both kids weened at about 3.5 years old. Not sure if I'm up for another 3+ years with baby #3, but I guess we shall see!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter