• 6-9 months

• 9-12 months

• 12-15 months

• 15-18 months

• 18 months-2 years

• More than two years

• Other

Results are only viewable after voting.
Trust me, the oldest is always the healthiest! Dd14 was never sick when she was little, but dd8 and ds8 were ALWAYS sick as babies and toddlers (and have asthma). The older kid/kids bring home the germs. However, they were my healthiest kindergartener's, because the had had all of the normal childhood illnesses (fifths disease, coxsackie, roseola, numerous colds, stomach viruses, ear infections, strep, bronchitois, etc), and had an awesome immune system.

I had the opposite experience. All of my kids have actually been very healthy, but my first took antibiotics 4 times in her life, once was an ear infection, 2 were upper respiratory infections, and 3rd was a UTI (but that one is out of her control as she has a congenital kidney disorder that causes them). 2nd never took any other than when he needed surgery at 7 months. 3rd just got her first antibiotic today, for a sinus infection (from a cold her brother gave her).

Same here! All of mine had 8 or 9 teeth by 7-8 months. Fortunately, only one of them - my daughter - was a biter. At 4 months old she bit me so hard that I instinctively jerked back, but she didn't let go and her teeth ripped through my flesh. It was AWFUL! And she absolutely refused a bottle, so I had to keep nursing her while the wound healed (which took weeks). Ugh! I've given birth (at home) to both 10lbs 4oz and a 9lbs 8oz babies and that bite was way, way more painful! lol

O.T. buuuuut I had my son at home eight weeks ago tomorrow! Yea for homebirth!:goodvibes:goodvibes:goodvibes (9lb12oz)

My youngest will be one on Tuesday, and he's pretty much weaning himself. Initially I had this big grand debate about trying to make it longer than one year, because of the health benefits, but it seems like he's got a mind of his own. :lmao:

Yesterday he only nursed twice, today, once so far. Looks like he made that decision for me!

I feel very blessed to have been able to nurse him for this long. My first one I would choose other because I actually pumped exclusively for nine months. I was never able to get him to nurse, and really wanted him to have breast milk, so pump it was. I was proud to make it that long, pumping and taking care of an infant can be exhausting.

Trust me, the oldest is always the healthiest! Dd14 was never sick when she was little, but dd8 and ds8 were ALWAYS sick as babies and toddlers (and have asthma). The older kid/kids bring home the germs. However, they were my healthiest kindergartener's, because the had had all of the normal childhood illnesses (fifths disease, coxsackie, roseola, numerous colds, stomach viruses, ear infections, strep, bronchitois, etc), and had an awesome immune system.

I also had the opposite experience. Oldest had RSV as an infant, was hospitalized multiple times throughout toddlerhood for pneumonia and has asthma.

Middle child is 5 and has never been on antibiotics - not once! And has been to the doctor only a handful of times for illness (though many more for injuries due to thinking she can fly. lol)

Youngest seems to like to catch stomach bugs with frequency, but has never needed an antibiotic, never had an ear infection, etc.

Oldest was ff'd and fully vaccinated.

Middle and youngest were/are bf'd and not vaccinated.

Much longer than 2 years.

Weaned my first right before 5 years old. Second is still nursing and is 5 years and 4 months old. Third is still nursing and is 2 years 5 months old.

My plan was to wean my first at 12 months. But as I learned about the benefits and saw how easy it was, I kept going. A 12 month old doesn't turn into an older nursling overnight. It's a gradual thing. ODS does not remember nursing - though I wish he did since it would be a positive memory. He's 8 now and still views breasts simply as something to breastfeed with. I've been nursing at least one child since May of 2003 - sometimes two.

*About the benefits, they don't disappear. Breastmilk is the perfect vitamin supplement. Plus it has virus-fighting abilities. There's no vitamin in the store nearly as good as breastmilk. If I weren't so lazy and could actually respond to the pump, I'd pump it for my oldest since it's such great stuff. (I wouldnt' feed him from the tap since I was ready to wean him when I did and we both have no interest in him nursing again. The natural age for pure child-led weaning is 2.5-7 years. If I hadn't weaned him when I did, I'm still fairly sure he would have stopped by 6 or 7 based on how easy it was to wean him).

Much longer than 2 years.

Weaned my first right before 5 years old. Second is still nursing and is 5 years and 4 months old. Third is still nursing and is 2 years 5 months old.

My plan was to wean my first at 12 months. But as I learned about the benefits and saw how easy it was, I kept going. A 12 month old doesn't turn into an older nursling overnight. It's a gradual thing. ODS does not remember nursing - though I wish he did since it would be a positive memory. He's 8 now and still views breasts simply as something to breastfeed with. I've been nursing at least one child since May of 2003 - sometimes two.

*About the benefits, they don't disappear. Breastmilk is the perfect vitamin supplement. Plus it has virus-fighting abilities. There's no vitamin in the store nearly as good as breastmilk. If I weren't so lazy and could actually respond to the pump, I'd pump it for my oldest since it's such great stuff. (I wouldnt' feed him from the tap since I was ready to wean him when I did and we both have no interest in him nursing again. The natural age for pure child-led weaning is 2.5-7 years. If I hadn't weaned him when I did, I'm still fairly sure he would have stopped by 6 or 7 based on how easy it was to wean him).

Cool:) Good for you for going "against the norm" and doing the best for your children. What an act of true Love:love:

19 months with my 1st DD. I was 1/2 way though DD2 PG and she got strep throat. She would not nurse with it and never went back once she was well. DD2 nursed till just over 2. I was pg w/ DD3 and was done. DD 3 nursed till she was just over 2. 2 years was always my goal and I made it with 2 of the 3.

Congrats!! I looooooved my homebirths! Wouldn't have it any other way.

Hippie homebirthing momma here! I'm also a baby-wearing, co-sleeping, make-my-own-baby-food, extended-nursing, homeschooling momma as well, so I've got all of my WEIRDO bases covered!:rotfl2: Wow...I think that's the first time I've ever put all of that into a sentence. I really DO sound strange:rotfl:.

I nursed each of mine (now 10yrs and 5 yrs) for a little over 2 1/2 yrs. I had such a hard time nursing each of mine, and my heart breaks when I read these stories of moms who really wanted to bf, tried their hardest, and it just didn't work for whatever reason. If I hadn't had incredible support from LC's and my midwife, I don't know what I would have done. :grouphug:

With my older daughter, I nursed till the day before she turned 4. My younger daughter nursed till about 3.5 yrs old. They both weaned very very gradually and mostly by themselves with just some gentle encouragement from me. I nursed them both at the same time for a while too.

And yes, I'm one of those crazy, "crunchy", La Leche League type moms ;)

Hippie homebirthing momma here! I'm also a baby-wearing, co-sleeping, make-my-own-baby-food, extended-nursing, homeschooling momma as well, so I've got all of my WEIRDO bases covered!

Me too - although no homebirthing due to very high risk pregnancies. But the rest fits me too :)

I tried and tried and tried..to no avail.I ended up pumping my breast milk for the first 2 months and then it got to be too hard for me.

I can't believe that 12-15 months and over 2 years are neck and neck. Very encouraging.

I nursed my last baby until he was a couple months over 3 and my daughter just turned 2 this week and she shows no signs of wanting to stop.

My children who have breastfed longer have been so much healthier than friends/families who didn't nurse or didn't nurse as long.

With DD I had a c-section and we were separated to put her in phototherapy for 4 days. During those days I could only nurse once a day. Still, we were able to do mixed, BM and FF for 4 years (yeap, years not months). I was hoping for child-led-weaning, but had to wean her when I got pregnant with DS and nursing made me cramp.

DS is 8mo. He was exclusively BF for 6 mo. He now continues to nurse and eats other things. I plan to go for 2 years with this one.

I also feel for those mommies who tried their hardest to nurse and were unable to sustain it. I think it's particularly difficult for the over 30 moms (like I was) because every nursing mom I know personally who starting into her 30's had some kind of difficulty. And there seems to be so little support in the maternity wards. In spite of a very clearly articulated birthing plan that specified my intention to nurse and instructions not to offer us formula, after my first night of cluster feedings, when I asked my nurse if it was ok that he seemed to want to eat so much, the first thing she did was pull out a bottle of formula and suggest that I give it to him! :mad: I was fortunate to have a good support system.

I stopped feeding my DD at 10 months but had planned to carry on until she was 12 months. I had to start taking some pretty strong medication so couldn't breatfeed at the same time.

Hippie homebirthing momma here! I'm also a baby-wearing, co-sleeping, make-my-own-baby-food, extended-nursing, homeschooling momma as well, so I've got all of my WEIRDO bases covered!:rotfl2:QUOTE]

Me three! :) All of them! We also a selective/non-vax family. We are trying to be as organic in our eating as possible too, cleaned out our pantry and donated all of the foods that are packed with perservitives, and GMO's pirate: LOL...but seriously... Im loving it! Bring on the flamessss!:hippie:

DS#1 - Nursed for 1 yr 4 months (the day before we "tried" (and succeeded :rolleyes1) for #2)

DS#2 - Nursed 1 yr 1 month (the day before we "tried" (and succeeded :rolleyes1) for #3)

And then we thought we would "try" for #3 which resulted in...

DD/DS#3 - Nursed the twins 2 yrs 6 months. No doubt these were our last, so it was very nice not to feel like I had to stop to get ready for another.

...and thus my screen name... when the twins were born I had 4 kids under 4 yrs. :rotfl:

Having such a great excuse to sit and nurse [cuddle] a baby is one of the few one things I REALLY miss about those years. :goodvibes

I think it's particularly difficult for the over 30 moms (like I was) because every nursing mom I know personally who starting into her 30's had some kind of difficulty. And there seems to be so little support in the maternity wards.

I have to respectfully disagree. I was an "over 30", and while I had a lot of the common issues (blocked duct, biting, etc.) throughout all of my years of nursing, I never felt that I was less supported, in the hospital or by our family doctor, than anyone else I know. Our hospital not only offered breastfeeding classes and a daily visit by the lactation consultant, the NICU nurses even made sure to come get me at feeding time while DS3 was in the NICU (just 3 days :woohoo:).

I wasn't BF and wasn't comfortable with the whole idea. When I said something to my OB/GYN about him thinking I was a bad mom for not wanting to BF, he said, "I'd rather see you bond with that baby over a bottle and enjoy feeding her than be uncomfortable with breastfeeding". The man is a saint! I won't forget how guilty the hospital made me feel with my second child when I decided not to BF. My doc came along and put it in perspective. My four children are very healthy kids and we all turned out just fine, a medical marvel according to some who acted as though I was committing an act of child abuse by making a bottle of Enfamil!
I hate when people make you feel guilty. I wasn't BF nor were my sisters (early 60's). My DM made formula from evaporated milk, water and powdered sugar each day. No Enfamil back then!
I BF each child for 6 weeks. I always hated going to work/shopping/anything and hearing a child cry and then my whole blouse was soaked.
Now my DD has freinds with babies and the child is pulling up the moms shirts in public and DD finds it uncomfortable when these are 3 year olds.
More power to you but it just wasn't for me. BTW, mine are healthy, happy college grads with jobs so it worked for me.

I also feel for those mommies who tried their hardest to nurse and were unable to sustain it. I think it's particularly difficult for the over 30 moms (like I was) because every nursing mom I know personally who starting into her 30's had some kind of difficulty. And there seems to be so little support in the maternity wards. In spite of a very clearly articulated birthing plan that specified my intention to nurse and instructions not to offer us formula, after my first night of cluster feedings, when I asked my nurse if it was ok that he seemed to want to eat so much, the first thing she did was pull out a bottle of formula and suggest that I give it to him! I was fortunate to have a good support system.

Sorry to hear that...but I don't think it's necessarily age-related. I had DS at 35 and DD at 41 and no problems with the nursing. However, pumping did NOT work for me; yet I did it each time until baby was a year old (with DS I was home but wanted DH to be able to give him bottles sometimes; with DD I went back to work when she was 4 months).

DS nursed till just past his fourth birthday (after 2.5 it was five minutes night and morning, a nice "check-in"/reconnection moment).

DD just turned 34 months and is still going strong - about 10 minutes 3 or 4 times a day; but I've been away for a night or two several times this summer and she adapts to that too.

I will go as long as we both enjoy it; I am not always "into" it the moment she asks but still love it for the most part. :love:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter